What's your upgrade?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
dienster
Model Year: 2017

What's your upgrade?

Post by dienster » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 am

Hi,

I just got a '17 a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out what to add to this truck. I'm in Raleigh, NC and will use it on the beach for surf fishing trips to the outer banks and hauling a boat around as well as having some fun in the mountains and Uwharrie.

I see things like steering box stabilizers that I'm not sure if they are worth the money. So would like to take a poll here to see what is worth it or not in your experience.

If you had to pick one performance and one longevity upgrade for a Powerwagon, what would it be? Also, what isn't worth the money you spent on it?

Thanks,
Steve

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: What's your upgrade?

Post by flattire » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am

Welcome to the forum.

For me I wouldn't do anything but just enjoy the new truck for now. Learn how to use things . Test lockers and winch to see and feel what they do. Experiment with tire pressure for beach driving.

You've got the warranty if something is wrong and doing too many mods can affect it. Maybe consider extended warranty if planning to keep long term.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Where you live, and what you want to do, you actually don't need to do anything. If you wanted, you could upgrade to bigger tires. But you don't' even need those if you're just heading out to the beach down at OBX.

But these trucks are incredibly capable in stock trim.

Here is a bone stock 2017 tackling Hells Gate in Moab.

You're not going to find anything this extreme in NC or in the Uwharrie. At some point if you do play in the Uwharrie a bunch, maybe sliders and diff protection. But why be in a rush.

:cheers:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Good tires would probably be the best investment, although that's hard to justify when you have brand new tires.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Shaved Ice » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:34 pm

On my second Power Wagon. These trucks are extremely capable in stock form. No upgrade is going to make a night and day difference. I know Uwharrie well. Based on your planned usage, the following items will help.

White Knuckle Sliders: I have had these for about two months now. GREAT product.

Winch recovery accessories including sand anchor

Portable air compressor
Last edited by Shaved Ice on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Both of my wagons are pretty much stock and they pretty much do all I need the way they are. The 16 needs a tire upgrade though. Not a fan of the Duratracs. :(
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Shaved Ice wrote:On my second Power Wagon. These trucks are extremely capable in stock form. No upgrade is going to make a night and day difference. I know Uwharrie well. Based on your planned usage, the following items will help.

White Knuckle Sliders: I have had these for about two months now. GREAT product.

Portable air compressor
Agreed. I did these first. Few other things but sliders and tires (35s Toyo RT) and winch gear had the most effect. Very careful to keep warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

dienster

Post by dienster » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Shaved Ice wrote:On my second Power Wagon. These trucks are extremely capable in stock form. No upgrade is going to make a night and day difference. I know Uwharrie well. Based on your planned usage, the following items will help.

Portable air compressor
Those are all at the top of the list.

Front hitch for rod rack is already installed.
Have some winch gear, not sure the sand anchor is worth the space. I've only had to dig my Pilot out once.

WK sliders and a cap are just about ordered.

An air system is on the list, any suggestions?

May do cold air intake and the mufflex exhaust if I can without warranty issues.
35s when the stock tires wear out, maybe Thuren Overland front to level it at some point.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Lights.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:00 pm

2X on winch recovery accessories and air compressor.
Longevity upgrade: You need Fluid Film if you're going to be driving it on the beach, to keep the salty sand from eating it alive. :secret:

Welcome to the :winchmob:

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:02 am

dienster wrote:

Portable air compressor
Those are all at the top of the list.

Front hitch for rod rack is already installed.
Have some winch gear, not sure the sand anchor is worth the space. I've only had to dig my Pilot out once.

WK sliders and a cap are just about ordered.

An air system is on the list, any suggestions?

May do cold air intake and the mufflex exhaust if I can without warranty issues.
35s when the stock tires wear out, maybe Thuren Overland front to level it at some point.
From what I've read, and I'm not an expert on this. But the current Ram 6.4 airbox is basically a CAI from the factory. Someone did some testing and the CAI did nothing at all. I think prevailing logic is to just get a DryFlow replacement filter and call it a day.

I did the Magnaflow 19200 full kit exhaust. It's a little droney between 1500-2k RPM possibly when the MDS is on.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:24 am

Welcome! It sounds like you are almost set up with the items you have planned. You mentioned the Thuren Overland for leveling the truck. The one major-ish upgrade that could make a difference is good shocks. King and Fox are 2 good choices, both available from Thuren.

Otherwise, from your description of planned activities, stock will be fine, and it will keep your warranty safe and the ride balanced.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

dienster

Post by dienster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:18 am

TankerZak wrote: From what I've read, and I'm not an expert on this. But the current Ram 6.4 airbox is basically a CAI from the factory. Someone did some testing and the CAI did nothing at all. I think prevailing logic is to just get a DryFlow replacement filter and call it a day.
Dryflow is ordered. Thanks, this type of info is what I was hoping to get out of this thread, what is worth spending the money on.
Retired BLM Rig wrote:2X on winch recovery accessories and air compressor.
Longevity upgrade: You need Fluid Film if you're going to be driving it on the beach, to keep the salty sand from eating it alive. :secret:

Welcome to the :winchmob:
Thanks, never heard of that product before. How much does it take to do the truck?

Treestraps, shackles, snatch block, tow strap are in the kit already. What am I missing?

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

Welcome!! Sounds like you are on your way... warning, once you start it never stops .LOL Its all in how you are going to use it, and if you find something you need as you go. I have a 16 and have done a lot of what you mentioned and more, 37`s , Thuren front kit, Recovery gear, air compressor. I like factor 55 closed winching products, nice quality. There is a thread on here about air compressors, i got the one that comes in a ammo box and has some tools, really like it. Id imagine you will have to air down going on the beach, so a compressor or air system would be a good idea.
You never know what type of situation you will be in off road, so best to over prepare....I had to pull out a Durango buried in the silty trail wash back in some trails by one of our lakes here in AZ, crazy how capable these trucks are. Mostly enjoy and have fun.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm

My first mod was 37's. I couldn't get the factory tires off fast enough.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

When I first got my PW. I wasn't going to add much to it. Just look at my signature now. :doh:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Chisel

Post by Chisel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Congratulations on the new ride. I live in Raleigh as well. Not sure if this qualifies as an upgrade per se but one of the best things I put on my '16 is an AMP bed step. Helps a ton if you're gonna be crawling in and out of the bed much. I'm not a short guy but I got short legs so it was basically a must have.

Ditto on the off-road recovery stuff as well. Need all that first.

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I use a 20 lb CO2 power tank for air, but I have two trucks so it's a better option for me. I can just toss it in the bed of whatever truck I happen to be using at the time rather than have two systems.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 am

dienster wrote: Thanks, never heard of that product before. How much does it take to do the truck?
Here's a thread for you to check out regarding rust protection. It mentions a few different product options :patriot:

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TonkaPW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:04 pm

White knuckle Sliders the best money I have spent on the truck. I have hit those in just about everything and they have held. Great protection for your investment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Chisel wrote:Congratulations on the new ride. I live in Raleigh as well. Not sure if this qualifies as an upgrade per se but one of the best things I put on my '16 is an AMP bed step. Helps a ton if you're gonna be crawling in and out of the bed much. I'm not a short guy but I got short legs so it was basically a must have.

I did an AMP bed step which is awesome!!! I also did a Backflip Revolver. Its literally a roll-up hard tonneau. Its the best tonneau I've ever had and i think I'm on number 5 or 6...

I saw again... roll up hard tonneau AND if you have the Ramboxes the mounting system is beautiful. The mounting rails slide right into the cargo management that comes with the Rambox setup!

Let me know if you want pics.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Masterflow MF 1050 is also great for portable air. Inexpensive. I mean its not onboard air system but i didn't want that. Its very popular in the offroad scene apparently.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 am

TankerZak wrote:
Chisel wrote:Congratulations on the new ride. I live in Raleigh as well. Not sure if this qualifies as an upgrade per se but one of the best things I put on my '16 is an AMP bed step. Helps a ton if you're gonna be crawling in and out of the bed much. I'm not a short guy but I got short legs so it was basically a must have.

I did an AMP bed step which is awesome!!! I also did a Backflip Revolver. Its literally a roll-up hard tonneau. Its the best tonneau I've ever had and i think I'm on number 5 or 6...

I saw again... roll up hard tonneau AND if you have the Ramboxes the mounting system is beautiful. The mounting rails slide right into the cargo management that comes with the Rambox setup!

Let me know if you want pics.

Would you mind taking some pics of the mounting system? I had one of the folding Bakflips on my truck for a while but all the hardware bolted to the Rambox track system made it basically useless. I ended up taking it off. Needed the tracks more than I needed a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Z's2016PW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Z's2016PW » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Its not a ram box but here you go.
Attachments
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:51 pm

See in pic #1 above those C clamps on the underside? Ram box version doesn't have that. Those rails just slide into the cargo management rails. With a bit of effort. You can't tell what is OEM and what's add-on.Image