What's your upgrade?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: What's your upgrade?

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:55 pm

I won't buy anything from BakFlip ever again. I'm on their second BakFlip and it just completely broke AGAIN. Whole thing. They also don't honor the warranty. F those guys.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:36 pm

If you are looking for an onboard air compressor then I'd suggest the ARB dual motor / dual cylinder 13 volt compressor. It produces 90 PSI and is a 100% duty cycle compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:19 pm

MikeKey wrote:I won't buy anything from BakFlip ever again. I'm on their second BakFlip and it just completely broke AGAIN. Whole thing. They also don't honor the warranty. F those guys.
Hmmm, I've had two. And a warranty claim and they worked well. What i hate most is metal c-clamps that hold rails on. I'd rather have a trifold that flips off easy. I had a advantage hardhat twice that I loved. Cheap and didn't last as long. This roll-up is soooo much better... i really can't praise it enough with the attachment system on the Rambox. So easy on my back with the rollup and AMP bedstep. I can just walk into my bed...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:22 pm

MikeKey wrote:I won't buy anything from BakFlip ever again. I'm on their second BakFlip and it just completely broke AGAIN. Whole thing. They also don't honor the warranty. F those guys.
Hmmm, I've had two. And a warranty claim and they worked well. What i hate most is metal c-clamps that hold rails on. I'd rather have a trifold that flips off easy. I had a advantage hardhat twice that I loved. Cheap and didn't last as long. This roll-up is soooo much better. I really can't praise it enough with the attachment system on the Rambox. So easy on my back with the rollup and AMP bedstep. I can just walk into my bed. If i had to pick anything to nit pick, be careful with your fingers when unrolling it. It bit me once. And the locking system for holding it when rolled up could be more elegant.

2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:09 pm

TankerZak wrote:
Hmmm, I've had two. And a warranty claim and they worked well. What i hate most is metal c-clamps that hold rails on. I'd rather have a trifold that flips off easy. I had a advantage hardhat twice that I loved. Cheap and didn't last as long. This roll-up is soooo much better. I really can't praise it enough with the attachment system on the Rambox. So easy on my back with the rollup and AMP bedstep. I can just walk into my bed. If i had to pick anything to nit pick, be careful with your fingers when unrolling it. It bit me once. And the locking system for holding it when rolled up could be more elegant.

I had the G2 BakFlip and then the BakFlip HD, the cross bars that latch to the rails have separated from the trifold. They are attached with double sided tape and rivets. Not very strong at all. And they claim they can't do a warranty because it wasn't installed by an authorized dealer. Me buying it, and installing it, somehow invalidated me buying the HD with 3yr warranty. F them. Here is why I'm so :angry: The first time we bought the G2 from Amazon. When I tried the warranty, they told me Amazon was an unauthorized vendor. So I purchased from the BakFlip.com website. Got the HD with that warranty. This time, they gave me BS about installation. And referring me to the warranty print. And the rep was flippant and short. They made no attempt to even work with me. It was more of an attempt to get me to go away. Terrible customer service.

My theory is it's not designed for regular use, especially if you use it offroad and on washboards. I think the vibrations cause a prybar effect. And when you consider they are attached with a double sided adhesive and rivets into a think aluminum and foam core, it's no wonder. It's taken about the same time for them to start falling off as the first one. A little over a year.

For what paid, I'll never recommend them. Also, the rubber at the end of the trifold is coming apart too. Terrible product, stay away from their tri-fold if you use it regularly. If you install it and never open it, maybe it will last a lot longer.
-------
------

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:56 am

Ahhhh! A local Power Wagon! I'm in Durham. I Just want to back up the conversation a little. You first talked about steering and Uwharrie.

The truck will do really well at Uwharrie (aka URE) except for Daniel trail. Dickey Bell trail has a spot that will take some learning and spotting. I'm going to tell you that your truck will eventually get some dents and you really have to watch the rear drive shaft. All URE trails can be run as soon as you have 35"s on your truck. I haven't looked at the 17' power wagons but if its like the 12' then you might want to think about your front bumper plans or just accept it will be self clearing and enjoy then sound of metal on rock. I've been running my power wagon for 11 years at URE among other places. I think my wife and I are going in the next month or two. You are welcome to join us and I won't pressure you to do more than your ready for and we don't leave anyone on the trail. We have a few resources that can help get the job done if things go bad. Ram4roks also is local to URE, he owns a 12' power wagon. I think he's been to URE as much as I have.

As for steering; If you only go to URE every once in a while and stay at 33"s then stock steering is okay. If you don't care about warranty crap while doing upgrades, plan on keeping the truck like me and your going to do URE a lot then here's my suggestion for upgrading steering. 1st steering box brace that's attached to steering side only. 2nd upgraded tie rod / drag link kit. 3rd hydro assist steering and last replace the steering shaft. I have burned through steering boxes like no one else and it doesn't stop till steering is ready to handle the weight of a power wagon on rocks with lockers engaged. I was twisting off sector shafts from my steering boxes out on the trails. You have one advantage over my original steering box in that you have a larger steering box to start with.

Don't do the Amp step if you want to seriously run on rocks in NC. Do the sliders. I pivot on my rock sliders probably every time out on rocks and you can get extensions welded on by local guy I know.

I don't know your offroad experience but be aware that power lines get tickets pretty quickly in the Raleigh/Durham area from what I've seen and the local offroad community will roast you if they find out. I'm always willing to help someone stuck or broken down but not on power lines

Local resources;
NC4x4.com has all the local offroad info you could want. It's a must join!
4wheelparts is great for bolt ons and slightly more if they know your not a difficult customer. Nick is the manager
East Coast Gear supply can set up where 4wheelparts leaves off. Chase is the owner
Both shops above can work together to make something special too.
If you're interested in a local welder that can do exo cage tube bumper etc. let me know.
Super Trucks is known for outstanding mall crawlers but now has some serious offroaders in their shop that know what they are doing. I only work with them to get BDS lift parts, they seem okay.

We'll meet soon and welcome!

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:08 am

whitey wrote:Ahhhh! A local Power Wagon! I'm in Durham. I Just want to back up the conversation a little. You first talked about steering and Uwharrie.

The truck will do really well at Uwharrie (aka URE) except for Daniel trail. Dickey Bell trail has a spot that will take some learning and spotting. I'm going to tell you that your truck will eventually get some dents and you really have to watch the rear drive shaft. All URE trails can be run as soon as you have 35"s on your truck. I haven't looked at the 17' power wagons but if its like the 12' then you might want to think about your front bumper plans or just accept it will be self clearing and enjoy then sound of metal on rock. I've been running my power wagon for 11 years at URE among other places. I think my wife and I are going in the next month or two. You are welcome to join us and I won't pressure you to do more than your ready for and we don't leave anyone on the trail. We have a few resources that can help get the job done if things go bad. Ram4roks also is local to URE, he owns a 12' power wagon. I think he's been to URE as much as I have.

As for steering; If you only go to URE every once in a while and stay at 33"s then stock steering is okay. If you don't care about warranty crap while doing upgrades, plan on keeping the truck like me and your going to do URE a lot then here's my suggestion for upgrading steering. 1st steering box brace that's attached to steering side only. 2nd upgraded tie rod / drag link kit. 3rd hydro assist steering and last replace the steering shaft. I have burned through steering boxes like no one else and it doesn't stop till steering is ready to handle the weight of a power wagon on rocks with lockers engaged. I was twisting off sector shafts from my steering boxes out on the trails. You have one advantage over my original steering box in that you have a larger steering box to start with.

Don't do the Amp step if you want to seriously run on rocks in NC. Do the sliders. I pivot on my rock sliders probably every time out on rocks and you can get extensions welded on by local guy I know.

I don't know your offroad experience but be aware that power lines get tickets pretty quickly in the Raleigh/Durham area from what I've seen and the local offroad community will roast you if they find out. I'm always willing to help someone stuck or broken down but not on power lines

Local resources;
NC4x4.com has all the local offroad info you could want. It's a must join!
4wheelparts is great for bolt ons and slightly more if they know your not a difficult customer. Nick is the manager
East Coast Gear supply can set up where 4wheelparts leaves off. Chase is the owner
Both shops above can work together to make something special too.
If you're interested in a local welder that can do exo cage tube bumper etc. let me know.
Super Trucks is known for outstanding mall crawlers but now has some serious offroaders in their shop that know what they are doing. I only work with them to get BDS lift parts, they seem okay.

We'll meet soon and welcome!
Really good point here!! Just for clarity we were talking about the AMP BEDSTEP (drivers rear corner bumper). White Knuckle Sliders for sure (.188 DOM if you're going to use them! I have both. I'd never recommend the AMP side steps on a offroad truck. Maybe they are stronger than they look but i doubt it.

Thanks for pointing that out. It could be easily confused.

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 pm

If I had to pick only one mod, it would be White Knuckle rock sliders!!!

You'll have to come to the Uwharrie get together!!!! I will be posting up about it soon, I believe we'll have it in November so it'll be cooler for those that want to camp.

A Power Wagon in stock trim can do every trail at Uwharrie other than the ledges on the front side of Daniel. (that's the only spot my truck has not wheeled out there, first ledge is too steep and the turn between first and second ledge would pitch the side of a Wagon into the wall of the entrenched portion of the trail) On the plus side, that's only about 500' worth of trail so, you're only having to skip a tiny portion of the overall trail system! I would recommend rocksliders before you wheel at Uwharrie though as they'll give you a LOT of peace of mind out there! I've wheeled out there with and without sliders but, I consider making it through unscathed without them a matter of luck. I have seen people screw up their rockers really badly out there. I'm only about an hour away from there, I try to be out there once or twice a month. I'll hopefully be out there the 15th of this month for the volunteer trail maintenance workday, you're more than welcome to come meet up! Everybody meets at 9am at Hunt Camp.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Since I mentioned it, here is the wonderful quality you get with a BakFlip product. :angry:
Attachments
2017-07-06 16.10.45.jpg
2017-07-06 16.13.28.jpg
2017-07-06 16.13.47.jpg
2017-07-06 16.13.32.jpg
-------
------

dienster
Model Year: 2017

Post by dienster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:59 pm

whitey wrote:Ahhhh! A local Power Wagon! I'm in Durham. I Just want to back up the conversation a little. You first talked about steering and Uwharrie.
Hi Whitey, I work at Meridian Parkway 55/54 intersection so you may see me around Durham. I'm not an advanced wheeler, my experience is limited to driving around a Pilot on the outer banks but I got the truck so I could do a little more (and not drag bottom staying in the tracks on the beach). I don't think I'll do too much to the truck until I've used up the warranty. Sliders, cap, air system, maybe some aux lights and a front hitch for the rodrack (will probably pop that off when I go to Uwharrie). Thanks for the local resources, I'll check them out.
RAM4ROKS wrote:If I had to pick only one mod, it would be White Knuckle rock sliders!!!

You'll have to come to the Uwharrie get together!!!! I will be posting up about it soon, I believe we'll have it in November so it'll be cooler for those that want to camp.

A Power Wagon in stock trim can do every trail at Uwharrie other than the ledges on the front side of Daniel. (that's the only spot my truck has not wheeled out there, first ledge is too steep and the turn between first and second ledge would pitch the side of a Wagon into the wall of the entrenched portion of the trail) On the plus side, that's only about 500' worth of trail so, you're only having to skip a tiny portion of the overall trail system! I would recommend rocksliders before you wheel at Uwharrie though as they'll give you a LOT of peace of mind out there! I've wheeled out there with and without sliders but, I consider making it through unscathed without them a matter of luck. I have seen people screw up their rockers really badly out there. I'm only about an hour away from there, I try to be out there once or twice a month. I'll hopefully be out there the 15th of this month for the volunteer trail maintenance workday, you're more than welcome to come meet up! Everybody meets at 9am at Hunt Camp.
I'm about to order the sliders, I want to see if they can do a little custom work to the mounting rails so that I can attach an air tank and compressor to them up under the driver door.

I'll be at the beach next weekend or I'd try to make it for the volunteer day. November would be great for a Uwharrie meetup I'd like to have some guidance my first time through there. October will be spent on the beach fishing whenever I have a free weekend.

dienster
Model Year: 2017

Post by dienster » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:18 pm

LagunaH1 wrote:If you are looking for an onboard air compressor then I'd suggest the ARB dual motor / dual cylinder 13 volt compressor. It produces 90 PSI and is a 100% duty cycle compressor.

How long does it take to air up from 20 to 60psi?

I am leaning towards these guys with a 4g on board tank.
https://www.extremeoutback.com/products ... ssors.html

Most of my airing up will be done at 3AM in the morning coming off the beach and I don't want wait any longer than I have to. I like the idea of belt driven but that seems like it could void my warranty pretty quickly.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Anything by ExtremeOutbsck is pretty serious. The owner is very knowledgable and good with questions.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Extreme is right in the name. It's like buying 4Loco, you know it's full of good shit.

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:06 am

dienster wrote:
LagunaH1 wrote:If you are looking for an onboard air compressor then I'd suggest the ARB dual motor / dual cylinder 13 volt compressor. It produces 90 PSI and is a 100% duty cycle compressor.

How long does it take to air up from 20 to 60psi?

I am leaning towards these guys with a 4g on board tank.
https://www.extremeoutback.com/products ... ssors.html

Most of my airing up will be done at 3AM in the morning coming off the beach and I don't want wait any longer than I have to. I like the idea of belt driven but that seems like it could void my warranty pretty quickly.
I have had the the "Magnum" compressor mounted under my bed with the air tank for years without any issues. It takes about 4 minutes to fill a 35" tire from 25psi to 55psi.
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims