17 Power Wagon steer issue

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

17 Power Wagon steer issue

Post by HeavyDuty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 am

I'm sure this has been asked before. But my search came up with nothing
When I steer my 17 power wagon as sharp as I can the front end kind of twists up funny and you can almost hear the front tires scrubbing. It also seems like one tire hits a stop. And the other goes a bit more.
Again, this is my first ram but the way it steers sometimes feels almost like 4wd
Thanks in advance for the help.
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Re: 17 Power Wagon steer issue

Post by waldo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 am

The tires will scrub a bit in full lock turns. You sure it's not a little ABS/traction control chirp and not PS noise? My 16 will do it when making some specific kind of slow, sharp, off camber turns. Even on asphalt.

Kind of hard to explain, but there's a few places I turn into/out of in hilly WV where the truck will do it every time.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 am

I seem to hear a scrubbing even at lower speeds. You think it's coming from the rear and the anti slip rear ended?. The front end still baffles me. It just doesn't make much sense.
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 am

I seem to hear a scrubbing even at lower speeds. You think it's coming from the rear and the anti slip rear ended?. The front end still baffles me. It just doesn't make much sense.
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:28 am

HeavyDuty wrote:I seem to hear a scrubbing even at lower speeds. You think it's coming from the rear and the anti slip rear ended?. The front end still baffles me. It just doesn't make much sense.
Had to say from across the internet. Know anyone else local with a PW of the same gen that you can drive?

The limited slip portion of the diff is pretty much a torsen type and they aren't really prone to chattering. That's not to say that you're not going to notice when you're taking a hairpin turn going uphill on a gravel road and one of the rear wheels unloads. That happens more often on the leaf spring trucks though from my experience.

BTW, there are no clutches so don't think about adding a friction modifier to the diff fluid.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:49 pm

I always assumed it is because the front tires don't stay flat on the pavement as you turn the steering. The weight of the front in is now on the edges of the tires. I believe this is what causes the scrubbing sound you refer to.

If you turn your steering wheel (either direction) until it stops, put in in park, and get out of the truck to look at the tire, you will see what I am talking about.
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

LagunaH1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by LagunaH1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:31 am

Mine does the same in super tight turns. I'm not worried about it. It steers real well otherwise.
2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon SLT
NR6E

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:36 pm

waldo wrote:
HeavyDuty wrote:I seem to hear a scrubbing even at lower speeds. You think it's coming from the rear and the anti slip rear ended?. The front end still baffles me. It just doesn't make much sense.
Had to say from across the internet. Know anyone else local with a PW of the same gen that you can drive?

The limited slip portion of the diff is pretty much a torsen type and they aren't really prone to chattering. That's not to say that you're not going to notice when you're taking a hairpin turn going uphill on a gravel road and one of the rear wheels unloads. That happens more often on the leaf spring trucks though from my experience.

BTW, there are no clutches so don't think about adding a friction modifier to the diff fluid.
There are a bunch of threads on other forums discussing friction modifiers added to Ram limited slip rear ends. Most users claim quieter and smoother rear ends, regardless of no clutches. Also, since disconnecting the front sway bar I can feel all of the rear end's quirks; chatter, tire lift, torque steer, etc. The truck's weight, long wheel base, and heavy front sway bar hide most of what the rear end is doing in a stock truck.

TL;DR If you haven't added friction modifier go ahead and add some and see if it resolves your issues. It won't hurt anything and the worst case scenario is your wallet gets a little lighter.

ETA: if what you're feeling is at full steering lock that's probably not the rear end.