So everyone knows how well a bull bar is fastened.....

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: So everyone knows how well a bull bar is fastened.....

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Canada eh?

How about the fact that most don't take the time to aim their freaking aux lights anyhow.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:22 pm

MikeKey wrote:Canada eh?

How about the fact that most don't take the time to aim their freaking aux lights anyhow.
What do you mean. They can't even aim their normal headlight. Then throw in hids to make it better. And that doesn't work. Or they put 50lbs in the box of their new Chevy and blind you oncoming with their low beams. Or just come at you with their brights on (also majority is chevys doing this)
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Ugh, HID's in reflector housing is the worse.
-------
------

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Chromolykid wrote:
Colibri wrote:Windshield mounted bars are worse than no lights though. They glare of the hood and windshield and destroy your ability to see anything.
Bingo!

9.9/10 people on the road with roof-mounted LED bars got a smoking deal on eBay because "They're all the same" and a $100 bar is definitely as good as an $1,800 bar... :doh:

I've been racing with the best LED bars in the business for years and a roof-mounted bar is ONLY useful in perfectly clean air. Any dust at all and you're blinding yourself. They also mount above your eye level so they cast no shadows on obstacles providing the driver no aid in determining the height of rocks, the depth of holes, etc. And for what it's worth, the latest Baja Designs bars can be comfortably used at speeds over 100mph. You get what you pay for.

I use a few bumper mounted BD lights MUCH more often than the 40" BD bar on the roof. Furiosa will get a set of Squadrons soon, 2 corners and 2 spots in the fog pockets. If I find a good option for LED bulbs in the headlights, I'll do that first though.

Anyways, back to that "off-road" Z71. Reminds me of the meme I made that spread on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BLl_t26A277/
C'mon now - some made it past the mall even when they were dragging their spoilers... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:07 pm

So did you take that pic then call a buddy with a wagon to pull you out of the grass?
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:33 pm

nts007 wrote:So did you take that pic then call a buddy with a wagon to pull you out of the grass?
Ha ha. Nah, it did fine plowing the wet grass... I admit there wasn't much / any ground clearance

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Man, you guys are a tough crowd ! LOL :lol: I love my Hula girls. I made a stage for them, so them hookers are dancing for me while i'm driving !!! :rockon:

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 pm

I've never been in my truck thinking, "i wish my headlights put out more light."
That's only because you are not fortunate enough to own an '05 with stock headlights. Worst headlights I have ever had on any vehicle, including 1950's British cars.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Ducky's Dad wrote:
I've never been in my truck thinking, "i wish my headlights put out more light."
That's only because you are not fortunate enough to own an '05 with stock headlights. Worst headlights I have ever had on any vehicle, including 1950's British cars.
Pretty sure my JK Jeep took the cake on the worlds worst factory headlights.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:38 pm

In other news a Canadian sniper made a record 3450m snipe on an ISIS militant today. I officially retract any negative comments made concerning our ass kicking neighbors to the north :D .

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm

2.2 miles eh? That is some amazing shit. Especially that he did it with a .50 bmg!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

SeahawkDriver
Model Year: 2014

Post by SeahawkDriver » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 am

LeD lights have almost no "throw", it's like having set of annoyingly bright fog lights. You can spend thousands on them, and every single component, regardless of brand, is made in China. The Q/A of the housing seals, paint, coatings, elements, etc are the only variable among so-called domestic brands and the generic crap that costs literally 1/3 as much but all come from the SAME Chinese factory. An LED bar is useless, once you illuminate the first 20-30 feet in front of the truck with just a few modest housings, the rest does nothing at all. Roof or roll bar lights need to have significant throw (distance) and you'll only get that by using large parabolic reflectors to focus light into a beam. HIDs are still top dog in that department.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:18 am

There are some very good led lights that "throw". Piaa 570s in led, vision x light cannons and Optimus leds. 5000' of useable light <--- not enough? Yea the cheap light bars wash in front of you. But vision x and rigid have some extremely good optics that "throw" the light very well. There is also other company's making very good led setups like baja design. Don't lump good quality lighting with the garbage you buy on eBay or the 'parts' store. You get what you pay for with led systems. And hid isn't the end all. My lightforce 240s halogen give me an amazing distance. I could never out drive them at any legal speed

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:58 am

Any light source will follow the inverse square law no matter how it is generated. What make or breaks vehicle LED lighting is the optics used to direct the light out put. Optics for LEDs are getting much better!!!!
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

So everyone knows how well a bull bar is fastened.....

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:15 pm

This is interesting. I was reading about it this morning. Lightforce Introduces the HTX Hybrid Driving Light. It looks like they've been available in AU for a couple years now. It's a hybrid HID and LED.

I'm rolling around the idea of adding HID secondary offroad lights as my stock projectors with sylvania bulbs and rigid driving lights in low mode are fine for everyday driving. No need to piss off everyone on the road with full time HID's.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Still rocking DDM HID highs and lows. I've never once needed more light on the highway. 12w cubes in the fogs have been plenty for the money.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:18 pm

I want to go HID's for range. I have four rigid duallly D2's which provide massive flood but need a spot/HID for range and my cheap 20'' led bar isn't cutting it.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm rocking the DDM HID's in the projector and DDM LED in the highs. Just like Reloaderguy, plenty of light on the highway. Turns out the highs were just as bright as the light bar. You couldn't really tell a difference.
-------
------

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 pm

periodically I do go night wheeling and it's on rocks on the east coast. Before I had 2, 20" trailmaster light bars I always seemed to say where did that big ass rock or rut come from. Now I see more like daytime. I like my LED's. They are good work lights and good on some country roads here. I do use them sparingly though. Only time I've shined them on another driver is when he wouldn't turn off his lightbar after I shined my brights.