"Ser4wd" and "RR" flashing.....

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

"Ser4wd" and "RR" flashing.....

Post by flattire » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Lockers haven't worked for a couple of years now. I've tried magnet cleaning, inspected smart bar connector, replaced trans case position sensor, checked grounds and connectors. Met with Retired BLM Rig and his scanner(thank you) to try to pull code(s) but not able to access any.

Lockers will lock but when driven 50-100 yards they unlock :box: . While driving on freeway the SERV4WD and "RR" locker lights will cycle on and off every 40 miles or so. :doh:

Finally went to dealer Wednesday for diagnostic and passenger side air bag recall. Got a call this afternoon from service writer. Seems they have been back and forth with the factory for assistance and this is still in process.

Stayed tuned for further info!!! :cash:

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Re: "Ser4wd" and "RR" flashing.....

Post by waldo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 pm

When the rear locker light kept flashing on my 07 it ended up being a bad sensor. Too bad it's part of the coil and they had to pull and crack the diff to replace it.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am

Time to hardwire the lockers?
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am

Depending on what they find it might be the solution. Probably should have done it earlier.

For some reason I never really thought about that. Already spent $150.00 for diagnostic . That would have done the job.

Something is wrong with a system that dealer can't fix and needs factory help.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:49 pm

When was the last time you serviced the differentials?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 pm

I have had the same issue in December based on research/feedback it happens when the rear axle heats up about 135-140 degrees then the locker actuator throws a code but still actually works, the fix would be to replace the actuator.

On my truck I changed the gear oil, cleaned the connector real good and put in a new rear speed sensor and so far I drive it everyday to work and took one long trip of 150+ miles and no flashing light but time will tell...
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Did diff service maybe in last year. Cleaned magnets. Don't have a lot of mileage 67K for a 2005. Does mainly towing for my travel trailer (about 5500+ pounds).

Measured diff temp during last tow. Something around 135 I think. 65 MPH and up and down grades. About the same as unloaded test I did a while back.

Noon here and no call from dealer yet.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 am

When you serviced the fluid and cleaned the magnet, did you check/adjust the magnet sensor air gap using steps 24-26? I guess really this measurement shouldn't change once it's been set at the factory unless it's disassembled for repairs. I would favor being on the tight side of the +- tolerance. I wonder if it's possible for the magnet to lose strength over time and with heat/expansion for it to be on the edge of tripping the sensor and cause a flashing light?
Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 9.49.22 PM.png

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Didn't adjust sensor. It looked to be a "reasonable" distance. Not some big gap and not real close. .21" ....will keep that in mind.

Dealer called late Friday and says "they think they are close to issue" will continue Monday. I think I may just get truck back before they do further work and see if I can cut charge in half . All I really care about now is if the lockers can work. If so will be looking into hard wire.

I expected this to be an easy job. Hook up scanner, find code, give me an estimate to fix. Bet they are not too happy either with this.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:27 pm

If you're thinking about hardwiring, I think this is a connector you could use so that you don't have to cut into your factory harness. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Namz-NM-33472-0 ... sL&vxp=mtr I'm not 100% sure but I think it will work. One of my connectors has a broken lock tab and I was going to order it to see if it would work. It's a lot cheaper than the $25-35 that the dealer wants.

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by w2dodge » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 pm

i was lucky..when this happened to me...i was covered under warranty..replaced acturator,plug...so far no issues..

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Monday 6 P.M. update: Dealer calls about noon . Says truck needs rear actuator....About $2500. ( not sure if that is parts and labor).....and if that doesn't fix it then needs a "smart bar" at $1852. Again , not sure if that is part and labor. I say forget it. Truck still needs to "Put things back on" so not ready and will call later.

Another call at 5P.M. Truck ready. Will be an additional charge for oil for diff. $95. I say I never authorized that and he deletes charge.

Never did find out what the "code" or scan tool said. Don't think they really knew what to do. I would have thought a dealer scan tool would have been able to test lockers without pulling diff cover.

Now back to detailing and will see about hardwire next. They had truck from Wednesday noon until Monday evening but it is back home now.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:57 pm

A 2005 smartbar should only be about $250. I rebuild them if it's the pin corrosion issue and can replace the contacts in the harness plug. I am still in the process of getting things together for the locker bypass sets. The easiest thing to do in the meantime is hard wire them.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 am

Seems like a lot of $$. I paid around $950 to have the rear changed in the 07, but that was some time ago. I doubt if the actuator itself is bad, but the sensor that is attached to it. Don't know why they designed it that way. :box:

BTW, I had an 05 and they never could fix that issue. They worked on it on and off for two years before they pretty much gave up and cut me a deal on the 07. I couldn't really Lemon Law it because I worked for them, but they made some payments and gave me more $$ off on the new one. That truck was sold out of state and became some other dealers problem. :rofl: So, I've owned three brand new ones to date. I still have the 07 and really like that one.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

Pit: I remember seeing the smart bar (for 05 ) for about that price some time ago. I inspected the pins a while ago and they all looked fine.
Are you making 3rd gen bypass ?

Waldo: I bought mine brand new so I didn't get your old one. Couldn't fix it then and still can't fix it.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Thinking about your locker problem, I came across this diagnostic info that may help narrow down which component you need to deal with:

1. Check the voltage of the Rear lock detection sense circuit (Yellow/Tan wire). It should go from about 2.5 volts when not locked to about 1.5 volts when locked. If not, check for 5 volts when unplugged and 0 volts when the two wires are jumped together.

2. If the lock detection switch is working OK, the scan tool should indicate the same voltage. If not, the Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) is faulty.

I would test the Yellow/Tan wire when everything is normal on your truck and then test it again when lights start flashing to see if something changes in the reading you get.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 pm

flattire wrote:Monday 6 P.M. update: Dealer calls about noon . Says truck needs rear actuator....About $2500. ( not sure if that is parts and labor).....and if that doesn't fix it then needs a "smart bar" at $1852. Again , not sure if that is part and labor. I say forget it. Truck still needs to "Put things back on" so not ready and will call later.

Another call at 5P.M. Truck ready. Will be an additional charge for oil for diff. $95. I say I never authorized that and he deletes charge.

Never did find out what the "code" or scan tool said. Don't think they really knew what to do. I would have thought a dealer scan tool would have been able to test lockers without pulling diff cover.

Now back to detailing and will see about hardwire next. They had truck from Wednesday noon until Monday evening but it is back home now.
Not sure they year of your truck is but for a 06-09 the actuator can be had for about $350 online and a differential shop can pull the carrier and install it for $300-$400 when I checked into a the beginning of the year.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Haven't done much to the truck recently. Started doing detailing after it came back from dealer. 110 degrees hot spell and was getting "sick" from polish/wax. Went back to read label warnings where says not to breathe fumes. Put that aside and started working on travel trailer suspension upgrade and now needs new brakes. Waiting on parts. Lockers at back of list for a while.

BLM: That's the kind of info I thought the dealer might provide! I would have been happy just for them to verify if lockers CAN lock (which I think they do). Just don't stay locked. Service writer claimed their scan tool couldn't test that and needed to open up diff to find out. It was a waste of time/money . Will be looking at things after other chores are done.

What is the FDCM and where is it? Cost?

CODER: Truck is an 2005. Might be a reasonable price if those numbers are correct. If I find lockers are working and I just need to hardwire might go that way and be done with this mess.

Thanks for update info.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 pm

flattire wrote:Pit: I remember seeing the smart bar (for 05 ) for about that price some time ago. I inspected the pins a while ago and they all looked fine.
Are you making 3rd gen bypass ?

Waldo: I bought mine brand new so I didn't get your old one. Couldn't fix it then and still can't fix it.
I am now in the process of making them.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:20 am

flattire wrote:What is the FDCM and where is it? Cost?
The FDCM is the smart bar.

To follow up on my previous post on this page:
Retired BLM Rig wrote:If you're thinking about hardwiring, I think this is a connector you could use so that you don't have to cut into your factory harness. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Namz-NM-33472-0 ... sL&vxp=mtr I'm not 100% sure but I think it will work. One of my connectors has a broken lock tab and I was going to order it to see if it would work. It's a lot cheaper than the $25-35 that the dealer wants.
I did order this connector and installed it on my truck, due to the broken locking tab. It fit perfect, however it didn't come with any terminals, but I didn't need them since I was only interested it replacing the connector housing. It took a little work to figure out how to remove the terminals from the old housing without damage, but I finally got it. It's funny, the Ebay ad says it fits a Harley Davidson handlebar harness. Maybe I should tell them it also fits a PW locker actuator. :lol:

Anyhow if you wanted to hardwire your lockers using O.E. style connectors, you would need two of these (which include the terminals), a pack of these for sealing the two unused terminal cavities and this tool to crimp the terminals to the wires. And then wire it like this:
DiffWiring.jpg
Image courtesy of someone else's hard work from DT.
locker_plug_connector.jpeg
Connect your positive and negative as shown. (courtesy Four Wheeler)
But it looks like Pit Slave might have another option for you as well. :rockon:

trk4sale
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trk4sale » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:48 am

Probably better to use low power wires from the switches to relays, then bigger wire from the relays to the lockers.
The switches should be powered by a source that only comes on with the ignition and you should have a way of cutting power to the relays(eg: pulling a fuse) to avoid activating the lockers if you hit a switch accidentally.
I insert my locker relay fuse as I am airing down and pull it when airing up.
Preview

2005 white Q.C. Power Wagon #1716
AEM Brute Force intake
Gibson CAT back exhaust
Super Chips Flashpac Tuner
Wet Okole seat covers
35" Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Line-X bed coating
Trac Rac Sliding Lumber Rack
Dual Batteries w/ Hellroaring Technologies Isolator/Combiner
Extreme Outback Magnum on board air compressor
H2 rims

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm

FDCM = SMART BAR. I was thinking I had read something like that at some point but didn't remember when or where.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 pm

While I didn't worry about cutting the harness to use factory connectors, I did go straight from batt to switches to lockers. With these switches no much chance of accidental switching them.
IMG_0795.JPG
Needs a 30 amp fuse and don't leave them locked with the truck off for a couple days. I wanted my lockers to stay locked in case I stalled the truck or something stupid happened and killed the engine. Lockers just need the 12v +/- and bang they go
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: Hardwiring Your Lockers

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:28 am

:idea: If you wanted to get tricky, you could gut your factory switch and reuse the faceplate and knob and then mount a rotary switch from a small appliance, like a space heater, to the back of the faceplate and add a couple of indicator LEDs. It just depends on how factory you want it to look.
IMG_0507.jpg
You could probably find a cheap space heater at a local thrift store to cannibalize for a switch.
IMG_0508.jpg
Instead of "OFF, FAN, HEATER" it would be "UNLOCK, RR. LOCK, FR & RR LOCK". These switches are made to handle high amperage (1500 watts) without a relay, or you could just use it to trigger a couple relays.