Duratracs have to go, need options.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
jswider
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Duratracs have to go, need options.

Post by jswider » Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 pm

Pro comp, Mickey Thompson, Dick cepek and Mastetcraft are all made by Cooper. Should all relatively be the same tire. I believe the STT, MTZ, AND PRO COMP MT are all the same carcass. Same for st maxx, fun country, and atz. Toyo tires seem to ride and balance the best.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

drdfblackm
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by drdfblackm » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 am

Well to be different I am running Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max. Thus far they are great in snow, road and light off roading. Have not tested them heavy duty off roading.

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 am

I think the Nitto Ridge Grappler is a good tire so far, have had it off road a few times in rocky trails and doesn't show any real abuse. I havnt had is snow yet, live in AZ, but a neighbor has them on his truck and 35`s and had the opportunity to go up north this past winter and said he helped pull a few people out that were stuck in the snow, and the tires did awesome.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 pm

I had Nitto's once before. The Trail Grappler M/T's and they were amazing offroad. The only complaint I had was that they were the worst tire I ever owned when it came to the rain. Hydroplane city with them. Wasn't good for living in Florida. I could hydro just driving down my own street under 15mph. Not kidding. I grew to hate those tires. But damn were they nice off pavement. Of course, this was a different vehicle. Much lighter, so might of been a factor.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed May 24, 2017 8:04 pm

olyelr wrote:
coder wrote:I am somewhat of a tire-aholic and have had the follow tires on my PW in the last 10+ years, got the truck in March 07 and has been my daily drive every since.

- BFG AT (stock tires)
- Mickey Thompson ATZ's
- Procomp Xtrem MT's
- Toyo MT's (2 sets)
- Nitto Trail's
- Toyo ATII's (2 sets)

For me the toughest tires, especially the side walls, are the Toyo MT's, for a AT obviously I like the ATII's.
How did you like those pro comps as a dd? My buddy has a set of 40s of those on his jeep and they do damn good. Chunk up a bit in the rocks and he has torn a sidewall or two, but real good otherwise. Wondering if they are decent for dd-ing. Looks like half way through their life they start losing their sipes...
I liked them, good off road tire but the more they wear the louder they get on the street I replaced them because it got on my nerves after awhile.
Attachments
SM-DSCN0458.jpg
SM-DSCN0463.jpg
SM-DSCN0464.jpg
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Wish manufacturers would not cheap out on tires. You have to get a 70K Raptor to get a nice set of Ko2 BFGs....
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:Wish manufacturers would not cheap out on tires. You have to get a 70K Raptor to get a nice set of Ko2 BFGs....
It's actually more about the deals they make with manufacturers. Ford has a deal with BF Goodwrench, FCA has one with Goodyear. Wrangler Duratrac on our trucks. Wrangler SRA on 1500's, Wranglers on Jeeps, etc.

Besides, why pay 72k for a one-trick pony that can't do much of anything but go fast to get nice small tires.
-------
------

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Sun May 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Tore my first sidewall today. Maybe the Oem Duratracs are thinner than the aftermarket? Never had it happened on my old truck.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 am

ramv wrote:Tore my first sidewall today. Maybe the Oem Duratracs are thinner than the aftermarket? Never had it happened on my old truck.
Here's mine. A dead tree branch did that.

2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:10 am

So I moved the spare to the front and bought a new one. Good for another 20k or so. (six to eight months)

Are the BFGs better? How short are they? Will the 35"/315 be taller than the current 285?
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:17 am

ramv wrote:So I moved the spare to the front and bought a new one. Good for another 20k or so. (six to eight months)

Are the BFGs better? How short are they? Will the 35"/315 be taller than the current 285?

That's what I did. I now have two new tires (with the spare) on the front and two 1/2 worn tires on the rear on the 16.

I have load range E 285 BFG's on the 07. As far as them being better, the sidewalls are, that's for sure. They're good in the snow, not so good in real mud. They "look" smaller than the Duratracs. Still haven't decided what to put on the 16, but it won't be any more Duratracs.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

HeavyDuty
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by HeavyDuty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 pm

The truck i owned before this i had a set of Dick Cepek Fun Country 2 on. Best tires ive ever owned, As soon as i have a problem with these goodyears i will be throwing a set of them on here.
ONE SHOT, ONE KILL, NO EXCEPTIONS
“ROCKY MOUNTAIN” TESTED

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Cooper STT Pro 315/70r17

These are wearing in and I love them so far. After 500 miles the tread squirm disappeared and I've aired them down to about 58psi cold so they're riding great now.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm

I try to be objective about OEM parts and stay out of most of the bashing of manufacture's designs. When I saw several forum members bashing the Duratracs, I took it as more of the same. I did look at a lot of reviews and found a mixture of good and bad.

That all changed today. I pulled into a commercial gravel parking lot to turn around, about ten minutes later, my low tire pressure light came on. I was almost home so I just drove home and was down to 20 PSI when I arrived. I pull the tire off but don't see any screws or nails. which is what I assumed I picked up in the commercial gravel parking lot. I do see two pieces of gravel stuck in the lugs. I add some air and immediately hear and feel air coming out around one of the pieces of gravel. I pulled it out and took a couple of pics and posted below. The first is the top view and the second is a side view, in relation to how it was stuck in the tire. I understand the sidewall being a little weaker and prone to puncture, but this was in the middle of the tread, and a piece of GRAVEL. My truck is a 2017 with only 6,300 miles so there is still plenty of tread. The gravel just wedged between the tread and made the hole. Anyway, I used the opportunity to have my 11 year old son help change the tire. I am getting it patched tomorrow (too late tonight). I assure you, I will NOT buy Duratracs once these wear out.
Attachments
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:39 pm

They call that stone drilling. I had cactus go through my stock duratracs sidewalls like butter

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

agpilot

Post by agpilot » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Heads up: Tire Rack has 37x12.50R17 KO2s on sale for $300 a tire. This is at least $50 a tire cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. You could always try ordering from somewhere with free shipping and see if they'll price match Tire Rack if you want to save even more.

This is totally messing with my decision between 37" KO2s or Toyo R/Ts.
Last edited by agpilot on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:03 pm

I was tossed up between AT tires in a 37 or a more aggressive and durable MT E load range 35. I just mounted a 35'' spare under my truck in the stock location which was nice to have the ability to do. E load range 35's are super heavy. 37's would be crazy heavy in e load range however some d load range lighter weight 37's I could live with considering the 4.10 gearing on the 4.5 gen trucks. Just my opinion of course. The KO2's will be lighter in a 37'' no doubt. If you're set on 37's I would go that direction not knowing how you plan to use them (If you need 10 ply/3 ply sidewalls).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agpilot

Post by agpilot » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:I was tossed up between AT tires in a 37 or a more aggressive and durable MT E load range 35. I just mounted a 35'' spare under my truck in the stock location which was nice to have the ability to do. E load range 35's are super heavy. 37's would be crazy heavy in e load range however some d load range lighter weight 37's I could live with considering the 4.10 gearing on the 4.5 gen trucks. Just my opinion of course. The KO2's will be lighter in a 37'' no doubt. If you're set on 37's I would go that direction not knowing how you plan to use them (If you need 10 ply/3 ply sidewalls).

Yeah, you aren't kidding about E rated tires! The Toyo R/T in 35x12.50R17 in E load rating is 75# whereas the 37" KO2 is only 71#!

Most of the 37s that I have looked at (both the Toyos and KO2s) are D load rated but at much higher weight, 3525# vs 3195# for the 35" E Rated Toyo. I suppose the main difference is in sidewall construction - I think I'd rather have the flex of the D than the extra belting of the E anyway. I'm not doing any kind of heavy hauling. I was originally planning on getting the R/T in 37" because I was afraid the KO2 wouldn't last that long on this heavy of a truck - there are many complaints on CumminsForums of the tire being too soft for a 3/4 ton truck and the Toyo has a 45,000mi treadwear warranty. But at $300 a tire for 37s the KO2s are a bit cheaper and also there is a slight chance that I could fit a 37" KO2 spare in the factory location thought it would likely require lube, ratchet straps, a floor jack and a lot of cursing.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 pm

It's funny how 4 lbs of unsprung weight makes a difference in handling and braking not to mention suspension wear etc.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Just one mans opinion here, but our trucks are heavy enough that sidewall flex on an E range tire is not a problem at all. I'm on toyo mt's in 37x13.50r17 and aired down just a little bit from my street pressure they conform very nicely to the terrain. Lighter weight tires are certainly easier on gas and components but I have a hard time trusting them from a death wobble and reliability perspective. Also if you have to contend with cactus mesquite or sharp rocks etc. the thicker sidewall is worth its weight in gold. My buddy has the ko2's on a Jeep and he speaks highly of them but I wouldn't put them on a 2500
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:48 pm

If you go with bigger tires like 37's, you probably will want E range to limit sidewalk squirm. Also, weight itself isn't what makes tires difficult to turn, inertia is. A 37" tire weighing 50 pounds will be harder to turn than a 35" tire weighing 55 pounds, because the weight is farther from center.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 am

What's this "sidewalk" squirm all about? Never seen one move around, not even the one in front of my parents house, and that's on a highway.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:00 am

Pit Slave wrote:What's this "sidewalk" squirm all about? Never seen one move around, not even the one in front of my parents house, and that's on a highway.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
If you start running a heavy truck like ours with a low load range, the sidewalk will definitely start to squirm. It just can't take it. Pedestrians, Rams, Load range C's... Horrible scenario. Squirmy.

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

Considering the stock Duracraps were load range D I think you'll be fine with a 37 in load range D. My Toyo 35's are E rated, but I probably put a good couple thousand miles on the Duratracs towing and I didn't really notice any problems. I just prefer a 10 ply tire usually. But it does seem the E rated options are limited in 37's.
-------
------

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TommyG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:33 am

I have been out of town so I don't have pics up yet but I just got Toyo RTs in 37x12.50 mounted up on my 2012. I have been a BFG AT user for many years. I am loving the RTs so far. Put them on and drove them for a week then took a vacation to the beach with the family pulling our 30 foot travel trailer. Great road manners even with the trailer on. Acceleration and stopping distance are very different with the 37s which was expected but it took a few miles to readjust.

You can hear a subtle hum on the road but they are really quiet for how aggressive they are. I am really happy with them so far. My tire guy says they will get loud if you don't keep a pretty aggressive rotation schedule (every 3,000) but I typically do that anyway so no biggie there. Face is sore from the big grin I get every time I drive it.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels