Duratracs have to go, need options.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Duratracs have to go, need options.

Post by waldo » Sat May 20, 2017 4:45 am

Tore the sidewall out of one the other day on the 16. Thinking about replacing them with Mickey Thompson MTZ, but it's just a thought right now.

Looking for something with a tougher sidewall and needs to be decent in the snow. Might have to look at the ATZ.

Any suggestions that fit the need?

Thanks.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: Duratracs have to go, need options.

Post by nts007 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am

I ran the cooper St maxx last winter and have zero complaints. I was worried at first being I didn't get them studded like I had planned but they performed fairly well in icy conditions. Very tough tires too. Even better in deep snow were the hankook mt but for winter they need to be studded as there is no siping. The Mickey thompsons are hit and miss with their atz. Some guys love them some hate. They wear fairly quickly like the dura tracks and they chip out a lot if you drive a lot of gravel but are still a decent choice. There is a lot of choices. I just put on a set of Nitto trail grapplers. And would not recommend them. Super squishy wimpy sidewalls. They look tough but they just don't seem to be. Plus I would never run them in winter. I had poor wearing and a significant loss of traction with the toyo at2 extremes. At first they were good but wore very quickly and at half tread they just seemed to lose traction everywhere except highway. Wouldn't run them again. Lots of choices. Also picking a brand that your favourite tire shop will keep in stock for you is helpful. That is one thing about the Mickey thompsons that keep me away from them. But your area might be completely different. Lots of good choices.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Chromolykid » Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm

BFG KO2's are just an excellent all-around tire that also rides quiet on the highway. Some older BFG's had issues with balancing but the new ones balance out great. Can't speak too much on snow performance because I have nothing to compare to, I used Furiosa to pull stranded cars up a steep hill on snowy pavement and had minimal slippage.

For what it's worth, I've been racing on BFG's for 6 years, lots of race wins and 2 championships (the car gets driven hard) and never had a single flat. Hit rocks so hard they broke my thumbs and split the wheel in half, the tires hold up through everything. The same can be said for all the chase trucks, zero flats with BFG KO2's and KM2's... Except for one from a railroad spike that took 10 tire plugs to patch.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Sat May 20, 2017 12:10 pm

BFG's ATs typically have good snow traction (current ones have a snowflake so I assume them as well.) I can't speak to the ATs but the BFG Krawlers I had on my 2nd gen were the toughest tires I have ever had (including bias ply Iroks.)

That being said, I personally have had good luck with Duratracs and plan to replace the 285s with 315s when the time comes. (My last tow rig/DD I had a set of 265s and a set of 285s on it and liked both.)
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

jswider
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by jswider » Sat May 20, 2017 12:26 pm

I have theCooper stt pros. Very tough tire. Aggressive and a tad noisy but nothing unbearable. They ride very well for an mt. I've also had good luck with dick cepek fun country tires if you are looking for an all terrain. Good in snow, wear very well also and are made by Cooper.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

plotter1

Post by plotter1 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:19 pm

BFG all Terrain T/A's offer the same traction as the Duratracs in the snow and ice. I ran BFGs for many years and decided to try the Duratracs a couple years ago. I don't really see/feel any difference in performance. I find that they wear the same also, gotta rotate tires at least twice a year. For the record, I am a fairly aggressive driver with a heavy right foot. I push the acceleration and stopping limits regularly as I enjoy the challenge, especially in the winter. Doesn't show my avatar anymore, I will add that I live in Alaska.
Last edited by plotter1 on Mon May 22, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamGentry
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by RamGentry » Sat May 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Chromolykid wrote:BFG KO2's are just an excellent all-around tire that also rides quiet on the highway. Some older BFG's had issues with balancing but the new ones balance out great. Can't speak too much on snow performance because I have nothing to compare to, I used Furiosa to pull stranded cars up a steep hill on snowy pavement and had minimal slippage.

For what it's worth, I've been racing on BFG's for 6 years, lots of race wins and 2 championships (the car gets driven hard) and never had a single flat. Hit rocks so hard they broke my thumbs and split the wheel in half, the tires hold up through everything. The same can be said for all the chase trucks, zero flats with BFG KO2's and KM2's... Except for one from a railroad spike that took 10 tire plugs to patch.
YUP, KO2s, love em...went with 37s
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=3593

hammer40
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by hammer40 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm

I replaced the Duratracs with 35" KO2's. Very happy with them.
2014 PW - Amp boards / Shorty antenna / Front tint / Roll-X bed cover / 35" BFG's on Black Rhino Tanneys +12 Offset / Truxxx 1.5

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Sun May 21, 2017 8:46 pm

hammer40 wrote:I replaced the Duratracs with 35" KO2's. Very happy with them.
I've ran the KO and older version forever on my 07 wagon. There a decent tire with a tough sidewall. Good in the snow, but not so much in the mud. The other thing is that my trucks spend a lot of their life on gravel forest service roads and the KO sucks up rocks and spits them out for the next 100 miles once you get out on a hard road. The 07 has about a million rock chips from them.

I was hoping to like the duratracs because the more open tread doesn't pick up and pitch nearly as many rocks. But I have no faith in them after seeing what a stick did to the sidewall. So, I'm looking for the same type of tread pattern on a better carcass.
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun May 21, 2017 9:56 pm

waldo wrote:
hammer40 wrote:I replaced the Duratracs with 35" KO2's. Very happy with them.
I've ran the KO and older version forever on my 07 wagon. There a decent tire with a tough sidewall. Good in the snow, but not so much in the mud. The other thing is that my trucks spend a lot of their life on gravel forest service roads and the KO sucks up rocks and spits them out for the next 100 miles once you get out on a hard road. The 07 has about a million rock chips from them.

I was hoping to like the duratracs because the more open tread doesn't pick up and pitch nearly as many rocks. But I have no faith in them after seeing what a stick did to the sidewall. So, I'm looking for the same type of tread pattern on a better carcass.
I have had several sets of BFG AT's, and the Duratracs are pretty much just as bad as them when it comes to picking up rocks and throwing them down the side of your truck. Between the two, I think the BFG is a better tire.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun May 21, 2017 10:06 pm

The only problem with the KO2 is that your 37 is actually like a 35 because they all run smaller.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 pm

MikeKey wrote:The only problem with the KO2 is that your 37 is actually like a 35 because they all run smaller.

Yeah. 35's are basically a big 33, and 37's are basically a big 35.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 pm

olyelr wrote:
MikeKey wrote:The only problem with the KO2 is that your 37 is actually like a 35 because they all run smaller.

Except for Toyo Mt's which are basically small 38's.

Shaved Ice
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Shaved Ice » Sun May 21, 2017 11:10 pm

olyelr wrote:

So...could you run a KO2 37" on a 2014+ Power Wagon (stock wheels) with no rubbing?

What about with different wheels?
2017 Power Wagon
Laramie
Granite Crystal Metallic
Rambox
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders

2007 Power Wagon (sold)

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 pm

After the abuse my Toyo MT's saw these past weeks, I am I love again. Their traction on dirt is amazingly good. Great performance in snow, hail covered roads, mud. Not sure about ice or very heavy rain. As far as survivability goes, I don't know of any tire that can match these things. I was driving over fallen trees all week at the Grand Canyon and only got a few nicks in the sidewalls, nothing beyond 1/8". The sidewalls are about 5/8" thick on the 285/75R17's I have (E range). They don't pick up gravel at all.

Obviously your needs for wet condition tires will make the most difference.

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Mon May 22, 2017 2:40 pm

I too am wondering if something in that gray area of a large 35 or small 37 is the ideal size for my 2016 on either stock wheels or the AEV wheels that fall very close to the Thuren recommended +18-25mm of off-set.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon May 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Hammerballs wrote:I too am wondering if something in that gray area of a large 35 or small 37 is the ideal size for my 2016 on either stock wheels or the AEV wheels that fall very close to the Thuren recommended +18-25mm of off-set.
Been answered in the other two threads:

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4710

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4231
-------
------

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Mon May 22, 2017 11:21 pm

DamageWagon wrote:After the abuse my Toyo MT's saw these past weeks, I am I love again. Their traction on dirt is amazingly good. Great performance in snow, hail covered roads, mud. Not sure about ice or very heavy rain. As far as survivability goes, I don't know of any tire that can match these things. I was driving over fallen trees all week at the Grand Canyon and only got a few nicks in the sidewalls, nothing beyond 1/8". The sidewalls are about 5/8" thick on the 285/75R17's I have (E range). They don't pick up gravel at all.

I think the RTs are better than the MTs. I've had both. You don't lose much with the RT, same sidewall, and slightly better road manners and much less road noise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 pm

TankerZak wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:After the abuse my Toyo MT's saw these past weeks, I am I love again. Their traction on dirt is amazingly good. Great performance in snow, hail covered roads, mud. Not sure about ice or very heavy rain. As far as survivability goes, I don't know of any tire that can match these things. I was driving over fallen trees all week at the Grand Canyon and only got a few nicks in the sidewalls, nothing beyond 1/8". The sidewalls are about 5/8" thick on the 285/75R17's I have (E range). They don't pick up gravel at all.

I think the RTs are better than the MTs. I've had both. You don't lose much with the RT, same sidewall, and slightly better road manners and much less road noise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's good to know, I'll be changing tire size and possibly tire type. I'm considering the Yoko Geolander AT2, the Toyo MT, and the Toyo RT. It will depend on how the MT handles the Portland rain and logging roads Image thinking 35's or 37's since I don't tow

More sidewalk = more comfort
Who needs good handling?

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

Just ordered the Toyo AT2 Extreme in 35x12.5x17. Looks like a good all around tire. Will see.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

OffroadTreks

Post by OffroadTreks » Tue May 23, 2017 10:42 am

DamageWagon wrote: That's good to know, I'll be changing tire size and possibly tire type. I'm considering the Yoko Geolander AT2, the Toyo MT, and the Toyo RT. It will depend on how the MT handles the Portland rain and logging roads Image thinking 35's or 37's since I don't tow
Stick with the Toyo's, just go up in size. :poke: You'll be happy. If you're still going to lug around the camper, you might want to hold off on those 37's.
GunniPWguy wrote:Just ordered the Toyo AT2 Extreme in 35x12.5x17. Looks like a good all around tire. Will see.
You'll love it. I've been very happy with that tire. It's been a year now, lots and lots of towing all over the place. And a trip to Florida and back. And three times of hard wheeling in Moab. No regrets.

Thinking I might try the RT's in 37 next. :cheers:
-------
------

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Tue May 23, 2017 5:48 pm

:cheers: Decided to hold off on having them installed for a couple more months(this could change when i see them) :D My plan is to rotate my Cooper STT's backs to front and run em bald. The back ones are still pretty good compared to the fronts. That way I'll have brand new tires this fall/winter when I need them most :lockedandloaded:
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

agpilot

Post by agpilot » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm in the same position. Trying to decide whether to go with a true to size 35 or a "small" 37 to replace them on the factory wheel.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I am somewhat of a tire-aholic and have had the follow tires on my PW in the last 10+ years, got the truck in March 07 and has been my daily drive every since.

- BFG AT (stock tires)
- Mickey Thompson ATZ's
- Procomp Xtrem MT's
- Toyo MT's (2 sets)
- Nitto Trail's
- Toyo ATII's (2 sets)

For me the toughest tires, especially the side walls, are the Toyo MT's, for a AT obviously I like the ATII's.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 pm

coder wrote:I am somewhat of a tire-aholic and have had the follow tires on my PW in the last 10+ years, got the truck in March 07 and has been my daily drive every since.

- BFG AT (stock tires)
- Mickey Thompson ATZ's
- Procomp Xtrem MT's
- Toyo MT's (2 sets)
- Nitto Trail's
- Toyo ATII's (2 sets)

For me the toughest tires, especially the side walls, are the Toyo MT's, for a AT obviously I like the ATII's.
How did you like those pro comps as a dd? My buddy has a set of 40s of those on his jeep and they do damn good. Chunk up a bit in the rocks and he has torn a sidewall or two, but real good otherwise. Wondering if they are decent for dd-ing. Looks like half way theough their life they start loosing their sipes...