Carli trackbar bushing replacement.......

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
TwinStick

Carli trackbar bushing replacement.......

Post by TwinStick » Wed May 17, 2017 9:30 pm

So, after replacing the shifter boot today on the G56, I figured I'd try to tackle the Carli trackbar bushing replacement (not the heim joint). Started out well, bolt came off easier than I thought. But the bushings & the sleeve.... :shock: What a royal PITA. After an hour or so of trying to get old stuff out, they finally came out. Broke 2 C-clamps in the process. The inner metal sleeve was corroded beyond all get out. I suspect that was part of the problem of why the bushing were not coming out, because it was bigger than stock because of the corrosion.I had to use the belt sander on it. CARLI SHOULD INCLUDE A NEW METAL SLEEVE WITH THE REPLACEMENT BUSHING. Also had a hell of a time getting new ones in, even though everything was lubed. Wife was needed for a second set of hands for the install of the new stuff. Got done & cleaned up just as it got dark. Used both feet against the tire, a 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe extension & gave it all I had for torque, after using my 18v elec impact wrench. Ended up taking longer than the shifter boot.
Last edited by TwinStick on Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Carli swaybar bushing replacement.......

Post by ramv » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 pm

After having my wife help install a new T-case in my Chevy 2500 I don't think she would help with sway bar bushings. Good work!
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Carli swaybar bushing replacement.......

Post by Colibri » Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 am

Are you talking about the trackbar bushing?
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TwinStick

Re: Carli trackbar bushing replacement.......

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, trackbar bushing, sorry. It was a long day. I'll fix that.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu May 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Man that sounds like a rough time you had, unfortunately without a bench vise I don't know of an easier way to tackle that job. Kudos to you for getting it done sir :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 pm

TwinStick wrote:So, after replacing the shifter boot today on the G56, I figured I'd try to tackle the Carli trackbar bushing replacement (not the heim joint). Started out well, bolt came off easier than I thought. But the bushings & the sleeve.... :shock: What a royal PITA. After an hour or so of trying to get old stuff out, they finally came out. Broke 2 C-clamps in the process. The inner metal sleeve was corroded beyond all get out. I suspect that was part of the problem of why the bushing were not coming out, because it was bigger than stock because of the corrosion.I had to use the belt sander on it. CARLI SHOULD INCLUDE A NEW METAL SLEEVE WITH THE REPLACEMENT BUSHING. Also had a hell of a time getting new ones in, even though everything was lubed. Wife was needed for a second set of hands for the install of the new stuff. Got done & cleaned up just as it got dark. Used both feet against the tire, a 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe extension & gave it all I had for torque, after using my 18v elec impact wrench. Ended up taking longer than the shifter boot.
Are you talking about the poly bushings on the drivers side frame?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Yes.

I could hear my neighbor doing dinner dishes from her kitchen window, while I was working on the trackbar. Conversation went kinda like this: ME: - Why you dirty rotten SOB, Mother F***er, Ahhhhh, @$%*&^!#@ !!! Neighbor lady: working on the cars again Mike ? :oops: :oops: :oops: Ahhh, yup, sorry.

:lol:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 pm

That sucks man, I've never had corrosion issues with mine but I have Rusty's old bar and the heim was a rust bucket. I can pull my bar, replace the heim and bushings, adjust and reinstall in under 60 minutes now (not a mark of pride, I just let having Trackbar problems).

The bushings are designed to be a press fit, generally requiring a vise for install. The problem with mine was that it slipped right in, no press fit, which was "unheard of and extremely unlikely" per the two individuals that have a public voice at Carli. Did you use a vise to install the bushings? Carlis are difficult in that they flare out where they are to be pressed in.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

No vise. Did it while it was on the truck. Used Big 8" C-clamps (made in China is all I had). Broke 2 of them. Finally, I found a scrap piece of thick aluminum and a scrap piece of steel. Put one over the open side of track bar & the other over the bushing half. With the wife helping, that did the trick. Got one side in, then the other. The metal sleeve almost broke my last 8" C-clamp, trying to get it in. I have a new heim as well but it still seems tight. Next time, I will replace both at the same time & remove it to do it.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Mon May 22, 2017 11:23 pm

DamageWagon wrote:That sucks man, I've never had corrosion issues with mine but I have Rusty's old bar and the heim was a rust bucket. I can pull my bar, replace the heim and bushings, adjust and reinstall in under 60 minutes now (not a mark of pride, I just let having Trackbar problems).

The bushings are designed to be a press fit, generally requiring a vise for install. The problem with mine was that it slipped right in, no press fit, which was "unheard of and extremely unlikely" per the two individuals that have a public voice at Carli. Did you use a vise to install the bushings? Carlis are difficult in that they flare out where they are to be pressed in.
What's funny. Brand new, I never had to use a vise to press the bushings in on that bar.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm

My Carli bushing slipped right in and only lasted 3000 miles before ovaling. My Thuren bushing I had to press on with the vise, very tight, then fight with a hammer and both my legs pushing it in just to install in the truck. Squeaking just started under the front end with any suspension movement and I'm wondering if it's the bushing, if so I'm happy!