2017 Wandering/Pulling to Right

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
dar6ren
Model Year: 2014

Re: 2017 Wandering/Pulling to Right

Post by dar6ren » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Update. Truck is at 10000 miles and still pulls to the right after more tire rotations. If in Central NY don't buy a used Powerwagon cause its getting traded this fall, don't drive it much in summer anyway. Looking forward to seeing what the new "other brand" has to offer. thanks for all the replies.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:43 pm

So again I’d like to ask the same questions you have not answered before you go throwing away tons of money on a perfectly good truck. Have you removed the steering stabilizer? What are the exact specs of your alignment right now? How mucch is it pulling? My truck with a fresh alignment will also pull into a ditch if you let go for a few seconds. It’s a solid axle tick, you can’t adjust the wheels separately to fight road crown like on an IFS truck. Doesn’t matter if you go buy a Ford or whatever, it’s a solid axle truck. If you want to take a dozen compromises with an IFS Truck just so you can provide less steering input going down a straight road...

Again it’s a solid axle truck. You can align it twenty times - it doesn’t matter, that’s going to affect caster force and toe and that’s it. You can dial in 6-7 degrees of caster if you want to help keep it straight but at the end of the day it’s a solid axle.

If you want a solution and nothing else works, first REMOVE your steering stabilizer and test it. Get a King stabilizer from Thuren and make brackets to flip the direction it pushes and run a higher pressure in it. Done.

scoutpappa
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2017

Post by scoutpappa » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:28 pm

It's hard for me to read these. I grew up in an international dealership and I still have scouts so I can say that I am well aware of what 0* (yes I have corrected) caster and a solid axle with almost no adjustment, with 33"+ mud grips feels like going down the road at any speed whatsoever (you learn to keep your thumbs out of the interior of the steering wheel and have a soft touch at best). My 2017 PW drives like it should considering that it's just churched up technology from as long ago as we have had solid front drive axle vehicles (except for my solid drive axle Ferrari...which handles sweet :P). It is extremely manageable, consistent and safe. It is not a sports car but considering what it is, the steering input is absolutely above and beyond what I expect from a similar, older version of the same front axle regardless of manufacturer. It's funny because I was always taught (bunch of UTI diesel engineer graduates in the family) that if you had to start throwing stabilizers and whatever at the front end you were covering up issues with ball joints and drag links and every other steering part that was engineered, designed and tested to track the vehicle down the road in a safe and dependable manner.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Take 3 psi out of the driver side front tire and see if that corrects it. Sometimes... and this is weird and you only discover if you check your pressures a lot, one tire will increase in pressure more than it's counterpart as it heats up. Increased friction or who knows what causes it. Check the tire pressures cold and immediately after a highway trip and see what's up. I get the odd tire after rotation that pulls so I either increase its pressure a few psi or knock down the opposite. And drives perfectly straight after that
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Shortly after we got our PW, I went back to the dealer & asked if they could do an alignment on our truck. They said "we sure can." So, then i asked to see their alignment machine. & got ........Ahhhh, we don't actually have one,.....we send it out !!!! So, dealer charged $140 for a 4 wheel alignment. I found out who they take their vehicles to & went there myself. Less than a mile from dealer & paid $69,99 + tax. So, they charge $70, to drive it down the road !!!

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:59 pm

If you had an alignment done I would suspect there is not any blatantly worn parts, as they typically check all moving points before hand (cant align with any worn parts). But, check the upper ball joints closely. Mine had side to side movement at 5000 miles (possibly even sooner, but that is when I first checked them).
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 pm

You can absolutely align a vehicle with every joint blown and not even know it. I’ve never seen an alignment shop do any test that’s useful in determining if parts are worn. It’s parked on a lift and they’re adjusting points by hand, watching a computer.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:33 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 pm
You can absolutely align a vehicle with every joint blown and not even know it. I’ve never seen an alignment shop do any test that’s useful in determining if parts are worn. It’s parked on a lift and they’re adjusting points by hand, watching a computer.
Well, yes, you are absolutely correct that they can "try" to align it. But in reality it really means nothing cause it will change as soon as the vehicle moves.

If they dont check over all of the joints before hand then it is really just highway robbery.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:33 pm
DamageWagon wrote:
Well, yes, you are absolutely correct that they can "try" to align it. But in reality it really means nothing cause it will change as soon as the vehicle moves.

If they dont check over all of the joints before hand then it is really just highway robbery.
It’s almost a guarantee an alignment shop will not check your joints correctly to know if they’re good or not. And you can have totally effed joints, and RT an accurate alignment, as long as the truck is driven straight into the lift which it generally is. Just as if it were going down the road.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Yup

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 am

olyelr wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:

Yup

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 am

DamageWagon wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 pm
olyelr wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:

It’s almost a guarantee an alignment shop will not check your joints correctly to know if they’re good or not. And you can have totally effed joints, and RT an accurate alignment, as long as the truck is driven straight into the lift which it generally is. Just as if it were going down the road.

And Yup.

cb1987
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by cb1987 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

go buy a new ford. they have more problems than you can shake a stick at