Taking care of underbody rust...

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Taking care of underbody rust...

Post by Numbnuts » Fri May 05, 2017 11:24 am

Got a 2011 PW. Living in the northeast its got some surface rust going on underneath.

Q- Whats the best procedure/product to use to stop it from rusting any further?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: Taking care of underbody rust...

Post by DamageWagon » Fri May 05, 2017 11:29 am

Uh oh... I believe TwinStick can answer this one.

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 pm

TwinStick...you have the answer?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri May 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Attachments
Fluid-Film_buster.jpg
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri May 05, 2017 9:50 pm

:lol: Screw you guys ! :lol:

I just sold my sons 2004 Toyota Corolla, 191,000 miles & 14 yrs of NY State salt winters, for $1500. This is what the engine compartment looked like, after I cleaned it but before I re applied new FFilm today. Keep in mind, it went 5 winters before I used the Fluid Film on/in it. Underbody is rusty though, but has not rusted much more since using FF.

Say what you want, can't argue with the results. :rockon:

:thppt:

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Any pictures after you applied the fluid film?

I'd like to see what the protected engine compartment looks like :D
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Spikethedog
Model Year: 2006

Post by Spikethedog » Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 am

My receipe for rust protection is wire wheel and welder brush the rust, apply rust converter then paint or black rocker guard then undercoat. I use proform undercoating and its been doing great. Costs 80$ for 5 gal istead of 80 for a gallon of fluid film... I live in nasty Nova-Scotia arguably the worst climate for vehicle corrosion issues. Key is to pay attention to where the same vehicles as yours have trouble areas and adress it somehow. the rear wheel well area on our trucks by example i reach by removing the tail lights then pressure wash and undercoat the shit out if it. Its a pain in the ass and i spend about a week of evenings in the fall doing my corrosion control procedure. Sucks but maintaining a rust bucket is way worse

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat May 06, 2017 10:32 am

Bill2014 wrote:Any pictures after you applied the fluid film?

I'd like to see what the protected engine compartment looks like :D
Fluid Film is $40.00 a gallon & $180.00 for 5 gal. And, it has 1001 uses. Can use it on wood, aluminum, steel, etc. It lubricates, penetrates & protects long term. Prevents corrosion between dissimilar metals. Hell, you can even use it to soften & preserve a baseball glove or leather work boots. Bee's & wasps & ants can't stand the stuff. Problem with birds, shitting on your mirrors/truck ? Put some FF on a rag & wipe down the spot they stand on & the birds go away. ALL OF MY NEIGHBORS have nice white shit streaks on their vehicle mirrors & down the sides of their vehicles......but not me. I use it on my snow blower before storing, lawnmower underside before storing. Also prevents battery corrosion. Does not conduct electricity, so it can be used as a dielectric grease.

Stand by......................................

Shock/strut towers looking like brand new ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^Brake distribution, looking like brand new !

This is the hood without being cleaned. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. So, the down side is, dirt sticks to it. But if that really bothers you, you can wash it off & start again. Hot water, by itself will take it off. De greaser helps make it faster. Also, it is bio friendly, as it is made from lanolin, or sheeps wool oil. Same stuff found in your wifes make-up.
Last edited by TwinStick on Sat May 06, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 06, 2017 11:36 am

You certainly can't argue with the results.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Numbnuts
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Numbnuts » Sat May 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Spike and Twin...thanks for the replys.

Q- With FF Do I have to wire brush the existing surface rust offfirst before applying?

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 pm

You don't have to but the results would be better if you did. If you have lots of time & lots of patients, you could wire brush, coat with a rust converter https://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Conve ... DQod4s4HDQ , or POR 15 http://www.por15.com/POR-15_Rust_Preventive_Coating and then Fluid Film it. I have pondered this for some time, now that I am retired, I have LOTS of time, so maybe down the road I may do my axles like that, IDK.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm

So you don't just put a film on - you soak it until it starts running off.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat May 06, 2017 9:11 pm

Not exactly, but i give it a good soaking. It does certainly drip out of the weep holes in the body though. See, most shops just give it a wicked fast mist. Thats why they say you have to come back every year for re application. The only places i do more than once is the wheel wells, & the axles.I do it till it drips, that way, I know there is plenty in there & everything is covered good. Stay away from the brakes, obviously. Park it in gravel or in the street for a few days after treatment if you have a nice driveway. It does drip, especially when the temps hit 90+.

We picked up my sons first new car today. They offered it (the undercoating) so cheap, I had them do it. They used Fluid Film too. But it was so thin & fine, I could barely tell they even did it. They must have had their spray gun set on CHEAP ASS mode. As soon as he got it home, I re did under the hood. I used a 1/3 of a quart just under the hood. I will redo the rest of the car next time he comes to visit, in a month or 2. Inside the body, doors hood, hatch back, rockers, A pillars, B pillars, etc. I have all the flexible wands, 360* mist, straight aluminum one, flexible ext for spray cans, adjustable gun. I also have the 1/2" drill & body plugs to put in the holes afterwards. My daughter hated the Fluid Film at first, but now that she is working & sees how fast money goes out to pay bills, she likes the idea of NOT seeing her only means of transportation rust away right before her eyes. I just wish I knew about this stuff when I was young. I am SURE i would have had have at LEAST 2 less vehicles, if not more.

The Pro set up gun with every accessory.

http://www.kellsportproducts.com/undercoatingguns.html

DO NOT waste your money on the $36.50 gun like i did. It sucks beyond belief. I also have 5 of the quart screw on the gun containers. Money well spent so you don't have to stop & refill when doing vehicles.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat May 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Hey 2Sticky. Can you use Fluid Film as anal lube? :secret:

:rofl:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Not sure. Check that out for us will ya ?

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Probably. It's all natural.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sun May 07, 2017 12:58 am

TwinStick wrote:Not sure. Check that out for us will ya ?

What do the inmates use?
Attachments
Thread Detour.jpg
Thread Detour.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 am

RustyPW wrote:
TwinStick wrote:Not sure. Check that out for us will ya ?

What do the inmates use?
I don't see application of fluid film on the inmate's list:

apply lip gloss – bash the bishop – bate – beat it – beat off – beat (one's) meat – beat the bishop – beat the kids – bop the bishop – buck the slobbering donkey – choke (one's) chicken – choke the chicken – cook up a batch – crack one off – date Miss Michigan – date Mrs. Palmer – double-click (one's) mouse – drop the kids off at the pool – fap – five knuckle shuffle – flick (one's) bean – flick the bean – flog (one's) log – flog the bishop – flog the log – frig – go to the bank – have a date with Rosey Palmer – have a date with Rosey Palmer and her five sisters – have a tug of war with Cyclops – have a wank – have sex with (one's self) – hump (one's) fist – jack off – jerk it – jerk off – jerk (one's) gherkin – jerk the gherkin – jerk the johnson – jill off – junior Olympic pole vaulting – kill a kitten – master debater – paint the ceiling – pet (one's) kitty – pet the bunny – play pocket pinball – play with (one's self) – pluck (one's) twanger – plunk (one's) twanger – polish (one's) knob – polish (one's) pearl – polish the family jewels – polish the pearl – pound (one's) pud – pudwhack – pud wrestle – pull (one's) pud – pull the pud – punch (one's) clown – punch the clown – punch the munchkin – punish percy – rough up the suspect – rub one off – rub one out – self-abuse – self-love – sex with someone you love – shake the creamer – shlick – skin off – slap the salami – smack Lester – snap – spank – spank bank – spank it – spank (one's) monkey – spank the monkey – stranger – stranger, the – stroke it – stroke (one's) salami – stroke the salami – torque it – toss – tosser – toss off – tribute picture – wack off – wank – wanker – wank it – wank off – wax the carrot – wax the dolphin – whack it – whack off – yank it
:popcorn:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun May 07, 2017 1:46 pm

:wtf: You guys are :sick:

:winchmob: Does NOT approve of this ! :lol: