Firestone Vs AirLift

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
StubbleJumper
Model Year: 2014

Firestone Vs AirLift

Post by StubbleJumper » Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Hello guys, as the day is drawing closer to getting my new PW one of my first mods I plan to do is a set of air bags. I can't justify the Carli bags (especially with the way the Canadian Peso is these days) so that leaves me with either the Firestone or the Airlift bags and Daystar Cradles.

Just wondering what people are running? The goods and bads of each? Real world experiences?

Another question, on board air with the valve in the cab, or do you guys just run the lines out the back? Do you remove the one inch spacer block? Do you mount the Daystar cradle to the axle or lower air bag mount?

Any information, good stories, horror stories related to bags would be great.

Lit bit of info, I do pull a 25' Nash trailer (sticker says 7,500lbs loaded), and haul two dirt bikes plus all camping gear.

Thanks for your time.

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Firestone Vs AirLift

Post by fbenross » Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 pm

For a PW that's not lifted I can recommend Firestone. Had mine 10 years now. They have been squished and stretched a lot. I did go with the Daystar cradles a couple of years ago. I went with the on board compressor and dual controls. I use it to level the Truck for camping and for scary side slopes. :shock:
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

StubbleJumper

Post by StubbleJumper » Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do know Firestone has made air bags for years. I was actually leaning towards the Airlift Ultimates as you can run them with 0 Psi and they have the internal bounce stopper. I have to price out both systems, warranties, etc. I would love the on board compressor and dual control just for the situation you described. But the all mighty dollar might affect it. Real world experiences are great to hear.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 pm

I went with the Airlift 5000 Ultimate kit for the internal bumpstop. I installed it a few months back but havnt actually needed to use it yet. I will be getting the travel trailer out of storage this weekend I hope, and will see how the setup works for me.

Here is a little writeup I did on my installed. Not sure what year truck you have...

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4732
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

StubbleJumper

Post by StubbleJumper » Mon May 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Mine is a 2017. Just got told delivery is May 22 to the 28. I am looking at the WirelessAir kit to compliment the Airlift bags, just wondering where guys have mounted their compressors?