Mopar HD Steering Box Upgrade

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Mopar HD Steering Box Upgrade

Post by coder » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 pm

My Mopar 68170214AA HD Steering Box has arrived

So far I've been through the original OEM steering box and 2 redhead replacements but after 2-3 years they wander all over the place. Everything else in the front-end has been replaced/upgraded and is good shape. So I broke-down got the HD Mopar box I'll be putting it on as soon as my 33mm and 46mm sockets come in.

Has anyone else installed one of these before, any tips/tricks or recommendations it does not seem to difficult?
Attachments
Mopar 68170214AA HD Steering Box.jpg
Last edited by coder on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Mopar HD Steering Box Upgrade

Post by Colibri » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:33 pm

I've got one on my truck, it's very straight forward. Mine is an 09 so the steering column was a 3/4" double d instead of splined, so I had to switch the lower joint out on my Borgeson shaft. Otherwise it's simple. Just don't drop it on yourself man, it'll hurt lol. If you already have a steering brace it'll work with the big box with a new nut and some fine tuning
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:46 pm

I swapped mine over to it a few years ago really easy and straight forward. I don't think it took more then a couple hours. Only tip when you take the factory drag link off to count the number of turns so you can get the new one set back right or just mark the threads where the old one stopped.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

This is a future project for me as well.

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Mine worked good for a few years now it's got a bunch of play in it

Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:15 pm

stamm20 wrote:Mine worked good for a few years now it's got a bunch of play in it
Tighten the adjustment screw on the top 1/4 turn and no more and it will help.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:18 pm

I got mine from PSC. It was a straight replacement.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:04 am

coder wrote:
stamm20 wrote:Mine worked good for a few years now it's got a bunch of play in it
Tighten the adjustment screw on the top 1/4 turn and no more and it will help.
I tried to but couldn't get it to budge any tricks to it??

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:50 pm

stamm20 wrote: I tried to but couldn't get it to budge any tricks to it?
You need to hold the center bolt with a screwdriver and loosen the nut with a socket (21mm on HD box), once loose turn the screw 1/4 turn clockwise, then hold in place with the screwdriver and tighten the nut back up, just snug not overly tight
Attachments
steering_gear_adjustment.jpg

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

Ok thanks I'll try it again I couldn't get the but to budge. It was also on the truck still couldn't get much leverage