New or rebuilt 545RFE Tranny?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

New or rebuilt 545RFE Tranny?

Post by ldgregory » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Well, coming up on 200K miles and I'm throwing 700 and 750 codes on my tranny. Dropped the pan and replaced filters and fluid. This had been done about four years back and the fluid looked good and nothing remarkable on the pan magnet. Guess it'll go on me in the near future as it keeps throwing me into limp mode 3rd gear.

At any rate I checked with a local shop and they quoted me $4K for a new tranny with a 3 year warranty or a rebuilt for $3,600 with a 12 month warranty. Includes labor. It just seems a bit high based on some quick googling.

Anyone had to replace theirs yet? What'd you pay, new or rebuilt and were you happy with it?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2005 Dodge Power Wagon #9-05-0536

Join the Power Wagon Registry

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:
Wetsuit/BC drying hanger, high idle, black badges

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: New or rebuilt 545RFE Tranny?

Post by adeluca73 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:21 pm

2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Don't get an ATS.
Go stock replacement/rebuild or get a sharadon built if you're inclined to be abusive.
Mopar parts overstock has new units with warranty for around 3k which is about what a sharadon stage 2 costs as well
Or rebuild yourself for a few hundred. The 545 is fairly straight forward to work on if you're mechanically inclined. I'd be a little leery of any 545 that comes cheap though. Good luck sir
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 am

Leif, I have an ATS. It was ok but I wouldn't do it as one who owns it. It has been giving me issues as of late like it was an old problematic truck. Get it rebuilt by someone you trust or go with a small performance shop that specializes in Mopar trans. I'm thinking about going either Randy's transmission over here in Utah or my friend's buddy who does transmissions as that's all he does.

Those codes are what I'm currently getting and it's the solenoids. I'll be replacing them probably this week. I'll update this thread with my results.

Other that that, hoping to meet you again this year in Moab. It's looking to be a fantastic turnout for the 10th anniversary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm

ldgregory wrote:Well, coming up on 200K miles and I'm throwing 700 and 750 codes on my tranny. Dropped the pan and replaced filters and fluid. This had been done about four years back and the fluid looked good and nothing remarkable on the pan magnet. Guess it'll go on me in the near future as it keeps throwing me into limp mode 3rd gear.

At any rate I checked with a local shop and they quoted me $4K for a new tranny with a 3 year warranty or a rebuilt for $3,600 with a 12 month warranty. Includes labor. It just seems a bit high based on some quick googling.

Anyone had to replace theirs yet? What'd you pay, new or rebuilt and were you happy with it?

Thanks.

Do you plan on keeping the truck for at least 3 more years? Is the new transmission a Mopar?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:38 pm

coder wrote:
ldgregory wrote:Well, coming up on 200K miles and I'm throwing 700 and 750 codes on my tranny. Dropped the pan and replaced filters and fluid. This had been done about four years back and the fluid looked good and nothing remarkable on the pan magnet. Guess it'll go on me in the near future as it keeps throwing me into limp mode 3rd gear.

Thanks.

Do you plan on keeping the truck for at least 3 more years? Is the new transmission a Mopar?
Yeah, I plan on keeping it for a while longer, maybe even long enough to swap out the motor at some point. The original quote is for a Mopar tranny.

Mods: 35" BFG KM2s, Locker Bypass, Blacked Out Cab Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Airhorns, Custom headache / rotating light rack, Interceptor Bug Deflector w/Eyebrows, Lund in-channel Vent Visors, UbiquiRack, Mounted shovel and axe in bed with Quick Fist clamps, Silverstar replacements for fogs and driving lights, Hella 500s behind the grill, Inclinometer, Mopar rock rails (didn't have them when I bought it), 1500W inverter with secondary battery in bed, tinted windows, chopped muffler.

Next Mods:

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Pit Slave wrote:Leif, I have an ATS. It was ok but I wouldn't do it as one who owns it. It has been giving me issues as of late like it was an old problematic truck. Get it rebuilt by someone you trust or go with a small performance shop that specializes in Mopar trans. I'm thinking about going either Randy's transmission over here in Utah or my friend's buddy who does transmissions as that's all he does.

Those codes are what I'm currently getting and it's the solenoids. I'll be replacing them probably this week. I'll update this thread with my results.

Other that that, hoping to meet you again this year in Moab. It's looking to be a fantastic turnout for the 10th anniversary.

I didn't swap those, and I'm guessing you have to do more than just drop the pan. Probably won't make Moab this year either, my wife decided we're going to spend three weeks in Bali this summer and it's going to suck down every bit of leave I'll have by then.

Next Mods:

ldgregory
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ldgregory » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Colibri wrote:Don't get an ATS.
Go stock replacement/rebuild or get a sharadon built if you're inclined to be abusive.
Mopar parts overstock has new units with warranty for around 3k which is about what a sharadon stage 2 costs as well
Or rebuild yourself for a few hundred. The 545 is fairly straight forward to work on if you're mechanically inclined. I'd be a little leery of any 545 that comes cheap though. Good luck sir
I'm mechanically inclined and like to fix things, but the thought of dropping the tranny and rebuilding myself makes me pee myself a little bit. <grin>

Next Mods:

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm

If it was me, I like reliability, I for a few hundred dollars more I would get the new Mopar transmission then with a good engine you would have a really nice dependable truck.
Last edited by coder on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:57 pm

I have been looking around also I lost 4th and 5th a while ago. I thought about rebuilding it myself but the thought of having a warranty makes ya wanna buy a new one hahaha anyone have any experience with the shardon ones??

07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

I've been running a stage 2 sharadon for a while now, no complaints at all. Also an edge torque converter with a bit higher stall than factory, with the proper tune it's an entirely different animal than stock. If you're into higher speed fun it's totally worth it, if not don't bother with aftermarket. A stock mopar unit or a good rebuild will do just fine.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I don't do awhile lot with speed with it but I beat the hell out of it off-road I don't really know what partial throttle means hahaha

Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Maybe get a built unit then lol. An edge converter will really wake it up as well. If you're aggressive it'll make you happy :rockon:
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 pm

I would suggest if it's possible get a reputable shop to do a slight performance rebuild. I would look for a twin disk hd converter and have the shop add extra clutches to the taller gearsets see if they can also up the line pressure through the computer. The 545rfe and my 68rfe are extremely similar as far as build except mine has the extra gear and everything is bigger. 3-4grand tops if you pull it and reinstall yourself.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 pm

And most importantly tune to delete 2nd kick down gear. It fried the overdrive clutch pack and it's basically useless
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by stamm20 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Hmmm ok thanks I need to find a Mopar shop around me