Winch Replacement, possibly aftermarket? Please Help!!

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Winch Replacement, possibly aftermarket? Please Help!!

Post by ramv » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:41 am

Colibri wrote:Most every winch is standard 4x10" mounting pattern if memory serves
Except the large frame Warn which is oem on the PW. Hence the need for a M12, M15 or M16.5
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:49 am

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/ ... nWinch.pdf

:doh: IMHO, that is f**ked up. Why in the hell would they drill a hole (or 3 of them) into a structural & integral part of the winch ?? :doh: Not sure when they started doing that ? On my 3rd Gen PW, the remote control plug is on the winch itself, specifically on the control box. Maybe I am one of the few who have had to pull the front of my truck completely sideways (not a misprint), 90*'s, through a 4-5' snow drift. that was so hard packed I could walk on it without leaving footprints. There was only 1 tree, so my options were pretty limited that night. That puts a tremendous amount of stress & tension on the winch mount, as does any winching that the cable/rope uses the side rollers. Not all winching scenarios are perfect. Maybe that wouldn't make a difference, IDK. But drilling ANY unnecessary holes in a structural piece just does not seem like a good idea to me.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:11 am

TwinStick wrote:http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/ ... nWinch.pdf

:doh: IMHO, that is f**ked up. Why in the hell would they drill a hole (or 3 of them) into a structural & integral part of the winch ?? :doh: Not sure when they started doing that ? On my 3rd Gen PW, the remote control plug is on the winch itself, specifically on the control box. Maybe I am one of the few who have had to pull the front of my truck completely sideways (not a misprint), 90*'s, through a 4-5' snow drift. that was so hard packed I could walk on it without leaving footprints. There was only 1 tree, so my options were pretty limited that night. That puts a tremendous amount of stress & tension on the winch mount, as does any winching that the cable/rope uses the side rollers. Not all winching scenarios are perfect. Maybe that wouldn't make a difference, IDK. But drilling ANY unnecessary holes in a structural piece just does not seem like a good idea to me.
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding drilling out structural holes. The plug on 4th gen trucks is on the cradle, AEV includes a bracket to relocate the plug next to the solenoid box. You have to take out a couple of rivets.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:

:doh: IMHO, that is f**ked up. Why in the hell would they drill a hole (or 3 of them) into a structural & integral part of the winch ??
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding drilling out structural holes. The plug on 4th gen trucks is on the cradle.
I think the factory location of the plug in the winch cradle arm is what TS is talking about. It can't be that much of a problem if they've been doing it for 8 years and owners with failed winch cradles aren't ranting and raving about it.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

If my Wagon didn't have its winch and cradle, I would get a Superwinch 18SR (almost 50% off on their website last I checked!) and either build my own bumper or get a local shop to build one. Then you would have a winch that was designed from the start to run synthetic rope (thicker drum and eternal 100% load holding brake) AND you'd be able to build a higher clearance bumper than any aftermarket offering and higher clearance than what you can build when you have to leave room for the stock cradle. Even though my Wagon has its winch, I am still tempted to go this route, I just don't have the $$$.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:

:doh: IMHO, that is f**ked up. Why in the hell would they drill a hole (or 3 of them) into a structural & integral part of the winch ??
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding drilling out structural holes. The plug on 4th gen trucks is on the cradle.
I think the factory location of the plug in the winch cradle arm is what TS is talking about. It can't be that much of a problem if they've been doing it for 8 years and owners with failed winch cradles aren't ranting and raving about it.
Ah, got it. I was thinking it was in regards to AEV's conversion. I'm not sure the hole for the plug has any influence on the necessary strength. I assume RAM did an FEA and destruction testing but who knows. I don't think I'd ever heard of a PW winch mount failure.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Challenge accepted
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Colibri wrote:Challenge accepted
Where are you gonna find deep, hard packed snow for that 90-degree pull test?
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding drilling out structural holes. The plug on 4th gen trucks is on the cradle, AEV includes a bracket to relocate the plug next to the solenoid box. You have to take out a couple of rivets.

From the pic in Figure 1, it shows the remote control plug mounted to the winch cradle. There is a hole for each of the 2 little screws/bolts that hold the mount to the cradle & one larger hole between them for the wiring. And, it looks like it is mounted right at the end of a reinforcing triangle for the winch fairlead rollers. Thats what it looks like in the picture to me.

I have never heard of a failure either, but 3rd Gens are NOT like that. The remote mount is on the winch controller box/solenoid cover box.

And, for only the $100 difference in price (if he is going to go with WARN), i would get the 16.5 for sure. http://ok4wd.com/shop-by-vendor/warn/12 ... up-winches .

I did not realize that Superwinch prices were so much better than WARN. I would not hesitate to go with Superwinch either.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Low_Sky wrote:
My yard right now
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:57 am

nts007 wrote:
Low_Sky wrote:
My yard right now
I've never even seen such a thing first hand lol. I guess it's an excuse to travel
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

votedave
Model Year: 2012

Post by votedave » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:52 pm

RAM4ROKS wrote:If my Wagon didn't have its winch and cradle, I would get a Superwinch 18SR (almost 50% off on their website last I checked!) and either build my own bumper or get a local shop to build one. Then you would have a winch that was designed from the start to run synthetic rope (thicker drum and eternal 100% load holding brake) AND you'd be able to build a higher clearance bumper than any aftermarket offering and higher clearance than what you can build when you have to leave room for the stock cradle. Even though my Wagon has its winch, I am still tempted to go this route, I just don't have the $$$.

If you start feeling froggy...just jump! I'll gladly take your stock winch and cradle setup off of your hands!! LOL :cheers: I still haven't been able to locate a factory one for my wagon.

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:26 pm

votedave wrote:
RAM4ROKS wrote:If my Wagon didn't have its winch and cradle, I would get a Superwinch 18SR (almost 50% off on their website last I checked!) and either build my own bumper or get a local shop to build one. Then you would have a winch that was designed from the start to run synthetic rope (thicker drum and eternal 100% load holding brake) AND you'd be able to build a higher clearance bumper than any aftermarket offering and higher clearance than what you can build when you have to leave room for the stock cradle. Even though my Wagon has its winch, I am still tempted to go this route, I just don't have the $$$.

If you start feeling froggy...just jump! I'll gladly take your stock winch and cradle setup off of your hands!! LOL :cheers: I still haven't been able to locate a factory one for my wagon.
Wish I could!!!! :cash:

Good luck with your search!!! :winchmob:

votedave

Post by votedave » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:10 am

Guys,

I'm still looking around for a winch and mount if anyone comes across one. These things are super hard to find used!

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 am

2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

votedave

Post by votedave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Thanks for the lead! Hopefully this one will work!