2014-17 tire size consensus

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: 2014-17 tire size consensus

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

adeluca73 wrote:
MikeKey wrote:Are most of you not installing 37x12.5 tires?

I'm planning on 37's for next year when the 35's are worn out. But want to continue on stock rims.
Mike,

We've discussed this several times as you know...I think you're personally, and probably as a general statement, better off with a FULL 35" tire, not the KO2 35's which are like 32.5", than 37's. I went 37s because my truck isn't a daily driver, if it were, I would've put on a 35" tire in either the RT's or the same Nitto I'm running now. For towing and daily usage, 35" is probably the best option. 37's create some issues that really require attention: kills mpg's, drastically reduces effective gear ratio, plays havoc with towing, rubbing, stopping distance, steering angles etc.

What have I done to remediate for my 37's": installed 1.5" PW front spacers, some minor trimming (but I don't get hardly any rubbing), changed gears
What do I need to do: address front end with Thuren suspension components, upgrade rotors, pads, lines
When will I do it: when I retire...

But 37's look boss, so I'd get those :D
I don't have KO2's, not a fan of that tire. I'm running Toyo's currently in 35x12.50, have been since last May - obviously, because at the time, we did tow full time I didn't go up to 37's.

We're currently not towing full time anymore. And now that things have changed, that's why I'm leaning towards the larger tire. I'm going to do Thurens suspension and was planning a regear.

I've actually been talking with SSBC, they just produced a "v8" caliper upgrade kit for Ford F250's and F350's 8 -pistons. And word is, they are working on both Ram & Chevy. But it could be at least another year. But it's in the works. Which should solve stopping issues.

Anyways, I'm in research phase. Moab will help me better determine where I go. For right now the 35's have been good.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Please refrain from posting things like that.... aside from those brakes being borderline NSFW, my bank account can't handle it, and it will go over like a lead balloon at home!

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Please refrain from posting things like that.... aside from those brakes being borderline NSFW, my bank account can't handle it, and it will go over like a lead balloon at home!
I know right. :lol: I'm trying to spend all my money before my daughters are teenagers and I am broke. Women or the truck, both are expensive. :rockon:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 28, 2017 1:47 pm

vanished wrote:
Limamikemike wrote:
vanished wrote:I just ordered the Cooper STT Pro's in 315/70r17... stock suspension on a '15 - let's hope they clear! :)
Post up some pics when they're on, I'm looking at the same tire and size combo. :cash:
Will do - they are supposed to be here Tuesday... Seemed to have some excellent reviews, I'm excited to see them on the truck. I had the old STT's on my first wagon and the BFG M/T's on the second wagon, figured I would try new version this time around!
I just took advantage of the memorial day sales and purchased four of these in the same size (315/70-17). I've read about every review I can find. I hear they have the armortek carcass.

Just wondering what psi you're running them at Vanished. I'm a bit concerned this size on the stock rim width.

I plan to buy an old used 315/70 nitto grappler off ebay to use as a spare (hope it works) instead of trying to wedge a fifth STT Pro under the truck.

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Sun May 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:
vanished wrote:
Limamikemike wrote: Post up some pics when they're on, I'm looking at the same tire and size combo. :cash:
Will do - they are supposed to be here Tuesday... Seemed to have some excellent reviews, I'm excited to see them on the truck. I had the old STT's on my first wagon and the BFG M/T's on the second wagon, figured I would try new version this time around!
I just took advantage of the memorial day sales and purchased four of these in the same size (315/70-17). I've read about every review I can find. I hear they have the armortek carcass.

Just wondering what psi you're running them at Vanished. I'm a bit concerned this size on the stock rim width.

I plan to buy an old used 315/70 nitto grappler off ebay to use as a spare (hope it works) instead of trying to wedge a fifth STT Pro under the truck.
I was running 55psi but after a cold morning and tire light I bumped them to 65 since... no issues or concerns here, still very happy!

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sun May 28, 2017 3:49 pm

That's good to hear and thanks for the update!