DIY hydro assist

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Spikethedog
Model Year: 2006

DIY hydro assist

Post by Spikethedog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:29 pm

This has been a long term project of mine,I've researched the hell out of this mod for a while and actualy tapped the steering box early last summer when the box developed a leak at the input shaft and had it apart for a seal job, 1/4 npt is the threads i went with. I've been riding around with it all installed and working for a bit over two weeks now and so far its been really good! turns my 37''s effortlessly lock to lock on any surface no matter what, diff locked or not dont make a difference. :rockon: . The ram i used is 8" stroke 1-1/2" bore purchased at princess auto. Had to modify it a little by cutting of and rewelding the mounting tube on the big end at a different angle so the hoses would point away and clear the track bar, then shortened the mounting tubes and made bushings so i could mount in in the steering damper stock location, plumbed it all in and bam works like a charm, my cost? Under 300 including the seal kit for the box

Last edited by Spikethedog on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: DYI hydro assist

Post by Colibri » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Very nice! Did you have the axle to full bump at any time during the install? Just finished up my ram installation and shit got very tight with hose fittings at full bump. Looks good man :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:40 pm

I havent had it fully flexed yet, no way i can get it up to the bump stops in my small shop without taking the coils out but i did cyle it as much as i felt comfortable and i have no doubt everything will clear. Where the lines go into the body is the only area that could maybe hit something the ram itself is pretty much exactly the same size and is in the same location as the factory damper. I have had it out in the woods and up and over stuff without a problem just havent had it to full bump yet, soon tho and ill definitely have a look

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:29 am

Yep, unfortunately pulling the coils is about the only practical way to check full stuff clearance. Your installation looks really clean! It's nice you were able to run it where the stock damper was. I had to run mine backwards off the diff skid and run the lines up on the underside of the engine crossmember. Made for some close tolerances lol. How's your highway steering feel?
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:17 am

For those of us who can't weld AEV is now selling the Ram 2500 kit parts. You still have to buy the box and hydraulics from PSC but this is a bolt on instead of fab.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/veh ... rdware-kit

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:49 am

All you get in that kit is 2 hydraulic lines and some hardware. Go to your local hydraulic supply, buy 2 4' hoses and spend a quarter of that price. Colibri do you have pics of your setup? I'm curious to see how you did it. I always like to see what others did for future ideas and stuff. Did you pieces it all yourself and what size ram you used?

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:45 am

I have the psc hydro assist. How is yours for quick steering input with the larger diameter shaft. I would assume it would be a bit slower than the box but you likely wouldn't notice it. Just curious. I'm happy with my setup too. Took a ton Of impact force on the highway that normally comes through the steering wheel
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:21 am

Spikethedog wrote:All you get in that kit is 2 hydraulic lines and some hardware. Go to your local hydraulic supply, buy 2 4' hoses and spend a quarter of that price. Colibri do you have pics of your setup? I'm curious to see how you did it. I always like to see what others did for future ideas and stuff. Did you pieces it all yourself and what size ram you used?
You're also get the mounting plates necessary to bolt the PSC ram to the crossover.

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:12 pm

nts007 wrote:I have the psc hydro assist. How is yours for quick steering input with the larger diameter shaft. I would assume it would be a bit slower than the box but you likely wouldn't notice it. Just curious. I'm happy with my setup too. Took a ton Of impact force on the highway that normally comes through the steering wheel
Its actually really good, its most noticeable on direction change as you can feel it tightens up/gets a little harder but only last a few degrees of steering rotation, not enough to affect emergency manoeuvres thats for sure. I was expecting the steering feel to be a lot lighter but theres no real difference with stock. It definitely doubles as a really good steering damper, no way a little crack in the pavement will upset hydraulics!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:07 pm

I've notice that most of the time it feels the same as a stock steering with stock tires setup. But every once In awhile it will effortlessly turn the wheels when you're braced to pull hard to get the wheels outta rut. But it always turns. Nice setup
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Yes exactly stock feel during normal driving but when you need to, it will turn the wheels no matter what, before i'd have to move the truck fwd or back a bit to fight the wheels to where i wanted them. Now they just turn. Also saves a lot of strain on the steering box and drag link

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm happy to hear all the positive feedback, I haven't gotten to drive mine with the new steering yet. I'll get you some pics of everything, I went with a TC pump and remote filtered reservoir and a mopar big box that had the internal steering stops modified for my trucks lock to lock distance and an 1-1/4" diameter (body) ram that is built to have the lock to lock stroke of my steering. Got everything from Howe Performance Steering. Had the local hydraulic shop make hoses
Attachments
IMG_4059.JPG
Brave Motorsports reservoir mount
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:03 pm

That remote reservoir setup looks trick! How much more capacity does it have from stock? I might look into setting one up, more fluid volume = better heat dissipation. Been running cool so far but its been quite a bit under freezing point around here lately. Hard rock trail in mid july might be another story tho. Luckily for us our trucks comes with a decent size PS cooler from the factory.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Where you from spike. You sound close by

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 pm

From New-Brunswick now been living in Nova-Scotia for a bit over 10 Years

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:00 am

Ah not so close lol. I'm in Saskatchewan.

gtomike60
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by gtomike60 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:21 am

Spikethedog wrote:From New-Brunswick now been living in Nova-Scotia for a bit over 10 Years
I grew up just outside of Moncton,NB in Notre-Dame
,MYoung locker bypass,Dynatrac bjs,Dynatrac no-spin kit w/Dynaloc hubs,Thuren 3" coils,trackbar,shackles and Kings(3"F-2.5"R) shocks,Thuren Alien arms,Thuren/King steering stabilizer,Carli diff guard,White Knuckle sliders,Thuren bumper,37" Cooper STT Pros,Corsa exhaust

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: DIY hydro assist

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Do you have pics or info on drilling and tapping the box?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:16 pm

I dont have pics of when i did mine. Basically you need to have one on each side of the piston that is inside the steering box. Refer to picture below, what you want is tap into and essentially steal some hydraulic pressure from the system and send it to your ram. You need to make sure you do not drill into what we can call the cylinder wall of the box.

I can take a close up of mine tomorow if you want so you can see where i tapped into it. I have read stories of poeple doing it without taking the box apart by magnetizing their drill bits and going slow/cleaning a lot to keep steel shavings out of the system, personnaly I dont know if i would. The input shaft was leaking on mine so i had it apart to change the seals. I taped it 1/4 npt out of convenience cause its what i had but my ram uses 6 ORB which is meant for 3/8" line. Im thinking it might react a bit quicker if i where to step up my ports and hoses but i dont feel a need to mess with it more for now

CombatWombat
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by CombatWombat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:14 am

Can you please make a Picture from your Steering Box? Thank you!

You can go fast.
I can go anywhere.
Dodge Powerwagon

Spikethedog

Post by Spikethedog » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:43 pm

If i was to do it all over again i would probably tap either on top or to the side of where the front one is as its really tight with the winch on removal and installation