FilterMag questions/ found loose part in rear diff. 3400 mi.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Re: FilterMag questions

Post by JD 500 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:46 pm

OP here.

So I changed my fine synthetic snobby wine :poke: . What came out at 3400 miles was dark dark brown. In a clear cup you cant see though it.
Did the diffs too. Front was like new since Ive hardly been in 4wd. Installed filtermag, wiped magnet by sensor with qtip only got color. Rear fluid was dark grey and inside of cover got wiped clean. Filtermag installed. magnet by sensor covered in metal, took 4-5 qtips to clean debris. Attached to the inside magnetic end of the fill plug was this piece of bent metal:

Now I wish I would have taken a picture of the inside of the diff, but I didn't. It got windy as hell as soon as I had the diff cover off and all kinds of crap was flying on the wind.

When we found this piece of metal, we of course looked into diff to see if we could find a break in a part or something. We could see what looks like this same piece of metal about 5/16" wide and 3/4" long, but not bent and still in place. It looks like this piece (When not broken off and bent) is flat and installed to the left of the ring gear as like a flat finger that orients the assembly left of the ring gear. Clearly the piece I have broke off a different area than what we could see.

Looks like a trip to the dealer. I am glad to find it before it's a bigger issue or something gives way.

Anyone have a clue what it is ?
2016 Laramie PowerWagon Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: Weather techs + Window deflectors, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, FilterMags, Factor55 Flatlink and 2.5 Hitchlink, Carli Front Diff Guard, PCP Spider Rear Diff Guard. White Knuckle Sliders

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:That almost looks like a spot weld in the middle of it. I have no idea what it is.

Dealer time.
Agreed on both. That piece of metal does not appear to have any ragged broken edge, but it does have a circle pattern on it with a little pit in the center of the circle.

Sure glad I found it now. Hope the dealer can get me in soon. I can't think it's smart to drive it with a piece/part missing :sick:
Mods: Weather techs + Window deflectors, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, FilterMags, Factor55 Flatlink and 2.5 Hitchlink, Carli Front Diff Guard, PCP Spider Rear Diff Guard. White Knuckle Sliders

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Well, wagon goes into dealer next Monday.
While not real definitive, dealer said that part is from the locker. They also said they have seen it come off before.

chromedragon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: FilterMag questions/ found loose part in rear diff. 3400

Post by chromedragon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 am

Hope they take good care of your PW. I am getting a bit concerned about the build quality on the newer rigs. especially the axles I keep seeing seals going way early in life. It could be infant mortality and with in the curve but the traffic of bad low millage parts on the FB group is a bit scary to watch.
2006 Power Wagon Quad Cab Manual Moto Rims stock size, Cooper ATP, Dynatrac Ball joints, Dynatrac Free spin kit with Warn hubs, AmSteel blue 7/16 x 100' synthetics rope from Custom splice, Sony BT 602 stereo and backup camera etc. Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks.

Special Licenses:
FAA Airframe and Power Plant
FCC Technician (Ham) KK6YCI

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.

Robert A. Heinlein

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm

JD 500 wrote:Well, wagon goes into dealer next Monday.
While not real definitive, dealer said that part is from the locker. They also said they have seen it come off before.
Wow. A dealer that not only knows that a PW has a locker, but one that has actually had the rear end torn apart on one and seen this issue before? Thats flippin amazing :jawdrop:

Hope they figure it out and treat you right. Sounds to me like you are off to a good start!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm

olyelr wrote:
JD 500 wrote:Well, wagon goes into dealer next Monday.
Wow. A dealer that not only knows that a PW has a locker, but one that has actually had the rear end torn apart on one and seen this issue before? Thats flippin amazing :jawdrop:

Hope they figure it out and treat you right. Sounds to me like you are off to a good start!
Man, I hope you're right, but he actually said it was from the POSI !!
I translated it to locker !!

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

JD 500 wrote:Man, I hope you're right, but he actually said it was from the POSI !!
I translated it to locker !!
Rear axle has a limited slip (some people call it a posi) in addition to the locker, so he might be right.
2005 Power Wagon

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 pm

JD 500 wrote: Image

Anyone have a clue what it is ?
Looks like the fill plug magnet did it's job to catch metal shavings and large chunks of random scrap metal inside the axle housing!
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 pm

I thought it looks like the piece that holds the locker wires in place inside the pumpkin. Curious to find out what it actually is.

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:42 pm

For those who have installed the transmission FilterMag (TM360), where did you install it? I pretty much put it right in the middle since that was really the only place it was completely flush on the pan with all the curves and crevices on the pan. Any troubles with shifting after installing? This is on my 2016 PW.

2016 Laramie Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 pm

Does your auto trans have a drain plug ? Just curious.

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 pm

TwinStick wrote:Does your auto trans have a drain plug ? Just curious.
I would assume it does but I didn't locate it while I was under there.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 am

My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 w/auto trans did not have a drain plug. I bought a new oil pan from dealer for $35, drilled a hole in the front pass side of it, took it to a welding shop & had them weld a nut on the outside of the hole (dealer said if it was inside the pan, it would void the warranty---but my dealer is the worst) I removed the old oil pan in my driveway & installed the new one with the drain & put a bolt in it. I did get a few drips on the driveway but some teflon tape on the bolt & brass washer stopped the drips. Every year I would drain & refill with fresh ATF+4 (only 3.5 qts came out). No trans issues on that truck. It towed a 10,500 lb camper on & off. Traded it in on my PW. 04' had 36,000 miles when i traded.

Hammerballs
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hammerballs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:17 am

I'll have to take a look. I thought all transmissions had a drain plug. I've never actually changed my own tranny oil.
2016 Laramie Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 am

They did used to have trans oil drain plugs back in the day.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 am

Including my 2011, 2001 and 1992, no drain plugs. Just the old fashioned ATF-shower method.

Sent from my safe space

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Hammerballs wrote:For those who have installed the transmission FilterMag (TM360), where did you install it? I pretty much put it right in the middle since that was really the only place it was completely flush on the pan with all the curves and crevices on the pan. Any troubles with shifting after installing? This is on my 2016 PW.

Thats where I put mine. No shifting issues at all so far.

No trans drain plug on my 16

flattire
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by flattire » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I put one on a few months ago. Used gasket maker that came with it (I think). Drain leaked. Also leaked around seal area . Finally had to take it off and reuse stock pan. No leaks.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:I paid $26 for the Dorman pan that comes with a drain plug. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GH ... UTF8&psc=1
Same gauge metal as O.E., seems like good quality. I'm happy! :spam:
Damage Wagon & Hammerballs,
:rockon: Well, there's the answer to your problem right there ! :rockon: And, only $26 !!!

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:14 pm

TwinStick wrote:I thought it looks like the piece that holds the locker wires in place inside the pumpkin. Curious to find out what it actually is.
Ding ding ding - We have a winner !

Good guess TwinStick ! That's what they say it is, and they said I really shouldn't notice it missing. Said they wouldn't expect it to cause any issues at all and that all it is /does is provide a guide for the wiring. Hell I've got 30k+ miles of warranty left, I'm gonna skip doing anything about it now besides the tech would have had to drain that brand new fresh unicorn blood (I mean Amsoil) from the diff.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

"Could not replicate issue. Part not necessary for operation."

Sent from my safe space

JD 500
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by JD 500 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 pm

DamageWagon wrote:"Could not replicate issue. Part not necessary for operation."

Sent from my safe space
Felt like that when I was talking to the service writer.

Then I talked to the tech, and better yet he came out to the truck and showed me how they get the lockers to work.
So tech says those clips don't have any function because they are there to keep the wires out of the way during assembly of the rear end.

So then he climbs into the drivers seat and says the following:

4Lo
swaybar disco button
then he turns locker dial all the way to both front and rear locked without stopping at rear only.
cranks the steering wheel back and forth, drives forward 5 feet and bam, both lockers locked, took 5 seconds.

He said the instructions in manual are crap.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm

JD 500 wrote:
TwinStick wrote:I thought it looks like the piece that holds the locker wires in place inside the pumpkin. Curious to find out what it actually is.
Ding ding ding - We have a winner !

Good guess TwinStick ! That's what they say it is, and they said I really shouldn't notice it missing. Said they wouldn't expect it to cause any issues at all and that all it is /does is provide a guide for the wiring. Hell I've got 30k+ miles of warranty left, I'm gonna skip doing anything about it now besides the tech would have had to drain that brand new fresh unicorn blood (I mean Amsoil) from the diff.
:wtf:
Not for nothing, but I would want it there & in place, the way it's supposed to be. Could save you grief down the road, chasing a short or wondering why your locker wont lock, or worse yet, frying the locker after warranty is up ! $$$$$ :cash: :cash: :cash:

Just sayin.'