AEV procal

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
BoldAdventure
Model Year: 2015

Re: AEV procal

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:01 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Got shipping confirmation for mine, should have it at my door after work Friday Image
Maybe their staff just wasn't on the same page? Could explain conflicting ordering accounts. So.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by BoldAdventure on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

AEV
Model Year: 2014

Post by AEV » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Hey guys,
Wow…ok…Good news is there seems to be some product demand for an AEV Ram Procal! Bad news is I just heard about this post and one other expressing frustration over some conflicting information. Here’s the situation, AEV does not currently sell a stand-alone Ram specific ProCal Module. At this time the only way to get an AEV Procal for the Ram 2500/3500 is with the purchase of a Ram HD 3” DualSport SC Suspension. However, we recently did some pre-market beta testing by distributing a select number of ProCal modules to a few of our good dealers to be used for in-house installations only. This allowed us to test the functionality of the ProCal module on a wide variety of trucks to check for any compatibility issues and verify the applicable model year range. These ProCal Modules were never intended for individual sale and this was agreed to by each beta test dealer. As with all of AEV products, we do not rush them to market, rather we take our time to make sure the product is 100% ready for the end user, which often includes beta testing. That being said, we are currently finishing up this product and we will be making a public announcement when we are ready to sell these units individually.

Chris @ American Expedition Vehicles

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for the Update AEV Chris. As a bunch of the PW owners on here are very interested in this product, and others, in your product line, please keep us updated. The sooner the better :D I believe anyone who has one seems to be very pleased with what it does for the price point.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 am

The ProCal I bought works fine. I'd have bought an AEV lift too if you used lift coils instead of spacers.
Best Year Power Wagon

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Chris, the unit I have for my 15 2500 power wagon works as designed for changing tire size. Like I said earlier the entire pairing and programming process took a whopping 5 minutes with me triple checking dip switches. Hope for others you guys get this out on the market soon!

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:07 pm

AEV wrote:Hey guys,
Wow…ok…Good news is there seems to be some product demand for an AEV Ram Procal! Bad news is I just heard about this post and one other expressing frustration over some conflicting information. Here’s the situation, AEV does not currently sell a stand-alone Ram specific ProCal Module. At this time the only way to get an AEV Procal for the Ram 2500/3500 is with the purchase of a Ram HD 3” DualSport SC Suspension. However, we recently did some pre-market beta testing by distributing a select number of ProCal modules to a few of our good dealers to be used for in-house installations only. This allowed us to test the functionality of the ProCal module on a wide variety of trucks to check for any compatibility issues and verify the applicable model year range. These ProCal Modules were never intended for individual sale and this was agreed to by each beta test dealer. As with all of AEV products, we do not rush them to market, rather we take our time to make sure the product is 100% ready for the end user, which often includes beta testing. That being said, we are currently finishing up this product and we will be making a public announcement when we are ready to sell these units individually.

Uhhhhh-----seriously? :doh:

Let's retrace our steps here:

1." This allowed us to test the functionality of the ProCal module on a wide variety of trucks to check for any compatibility issues and verify the applicable model year range"

* The AEV website clearly states the DS SC suspension is for yr 2014+ RAM 2500 trucks, thus the accompanying PROCAL is also for the same trucks

2. However, we recently did some pre-market beta testing by distributing a select number of ProCal modules to a few of our good dealers to be used for in-house installations only. These ProCal Modules were never intended for individual sale and this was agreed to by each beta test dealer

* How does "distribute to a select # of "good" dealers for in-house installs only" turn into a complete shit-show selling them all over the internet, where some people can get them, others cannot. Furthermore, if these are truly "beta test kits" then how is AEV installing under the auspices of a production item ? The software is irrespective of the hardware installation. The suspension kit is not germane to the beta status of this software programmer. Has AEV alerted customers who purchased an $80K AEV prospector RAM or those who ordered the aftermarket suspension kits that the programmer is a beta test product?

3. These ProCal Modules were never intended for individual sale and this was agreed to by each beta test dealer

* How does this turn into if you talk to the right rep at the right 4WD shop you can get them, but, shhhh, don't post it on the internet or AEV will find out, then an AEV employee, who's not a registry member and has never posted here before, finds this exact thread, and posts that we're not supposed to have the ProCal---dumpster fire level marketing and PR fail--amateur hour type stuff.

4. AEV does not currently sell a stand-alone Ram specific ProCal Module. At this time the only way to get an AEV Procal for the Ram 2500/3500 is with the purchase of a Ram HD 3” DualSport SC Suspension

* Is it just me, or is anyone else scratching their head at this statement. What exactly does lifting your truck with a bracket lift kit have to do with the functions the ProCal is designed to reprogram? I mean personally, I've used ALL of the ProCal's features (on my bootleg model) and I do NOT have an AEV lift?? I do have new front/rear gears, I do have bigger tires, and I do have a different normal tire pressure requirement as a result of the new tires. The ProCal tire size adjustment is used to recalibrate the speedometer---adding a lift alone does not require adjusting the speedometer...Do the lift kits also come with new tires and new gears, If so, it's not listed on the AEV website under "KIT CONTENTS". I know the intent of the bracket lift kit is to accommodate larger tires; however, larger tires are not a necessary condition of purchasing and installing the lift kit.

Kit Contents:

• Cast Aluminum Front Coil Spring Pad Relocation Mounts

• Forged Hi Steer Drag Link

• Custom AEV Tuned Bilstein 5100’s

• Heavy Duty Front Track Bar

• Front Track Bar Brackets

• Front Steel Bump Stop Spacers

• Front Axle Relocation Kit

• Aluminum Front Drive Shaft Spacer

• Hardware Pack

• AEV ProCal Module (Speedometer Recalibration)

• Cast Aluminum Rear Coil Spring Spacers (Ram 2500)

• Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket (Ram 2500)

• Rear Sway Bar End Links (Ram 2500)

• Rear Lift Blocks (Ram 3500)

• Rear U-Bolts (Ram 3500)

• Rear Bump Stop Spacers

• Radius Arm Relocation Kit

• Power Hop Bracket (If applicable)

• Rear Carrier Bearing Shim Kit (Two Piece Rear Drive Shafts only)

• Emergency Brake Cable Extension

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop ... suspension

Someone needs a mop and pail to clean the credibility mess. So since these are "beta test models", does AEV have a plan to update the firmware on all of our bootleg models to match the production release?
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Come on, you know full well this is just a thin veneer. The ProCal rewrites the BCM. It's like saying lift spacers are superior to taller springs because of roll centers.
Best Year Power Wagon

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:Come on, you know full well this is just a thin veneer. The ProCal rewrites the BCM. It's like saying lift spacers are superior to taller springs because of roll centers.
I know, but someone had to call BS on this whole deal... and does rewriting the BCM only apply for the tire pressure TPMS setting in the RFH security settings? I actually am not sure if the other functions go through the BCM or not.

And I resemble that remark...I have spacers.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Bill2014
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Wow - it's a lot of hassle changing tire sizes :D :D :D :D

I'm glad I frequently tow and am not temped to upsize... And there aren't any malls near me either :wink:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass

Moab 2006

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Yeah, it's why AEV has you reset RFH with a witech.
Best Year Power Wagon

yooper68
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by yooper68 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Wow!
Trucks: 2003 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton, 1972 4x4 Ford 3/4 ton (factory hi-boy), shopping for new Power Wagon (or may wait for 2020 model? - 75th year special edition?)

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Imagine if you installed your new AEV spacer lift and then found out you bought a beta test ProCal. Would you be upset knowing you paid full price for an experimental programmer?
Best Year Power Wagon

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Oh Well.... that ends that . LOL I guess who ever got them is lucky, the rest of us...... Hopefully soon.

I think Beta testing can mean different things besides just testing the product, including sales, distribution, customer feedback. Like I was told by a certain off road supply house when I called, they could sell it to me but I had to be local, as AEV was worried about people not programming correctly, which in the long run could cause problems for the manufacturer. I can see their side of the story, and if some distributors decided to do their own thing , it is what it is.

The Procal is a more simplified product than a digital programmer, but it still resets parameters that came from the factory. Many of which are "nanny state" regulated, so im sure there are issues to deal with on the newer trucks. I know how much of a cluster it has been for people trying to reset TPMS on the newer trucks, me included, dealers having to decline because of regulations. Im sure anyone that makes a product that is seen as reprogramming ECM`s or any other systems is scrutinized.

Hopefully in time AEV or other companies will come out with cheaper easier ways to re-set parameters on these trucks without an act of Congress....Literally !!
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 pm

Sounds more like a shitty roll out and a weird cover story with one vendor jumping the gun or back door selling ( ?? maybe, I dunno ) the ready supply. Who knows, we're all guessing.

How do you have so many "beta" modules out in the wild though?

I got a stern "You know you have to go to the dealer and they'll charge you" about the TPMS, which I think might be the big issue. It's actually quite the hassle:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets ... ProCal.pdf

Using the Procal will program the Tire Pressure Inflation Value for the vehicle, the vehicle’s information screen may indicate the new programmed value right away, but it will not “take” until this process below is completed:
  • 1. Contact your dealer’s part department about obtaining your vehicle’s PIN, the PIN is a unique 4 digit number based on your vehicle’s VIN.
    2. Using WiTech 1 or 2 (desktop application or web interface), access the Radio Frequency Hub (RFH) module.
    3. Select the option to Program an Ignition FOBIK (Key).
    4. Forward through the menus until you are asked for a PIN Number.
    5. Enter that vehicle’s PIN
    6. After entering a PIN, the application will ask you if it is correct, select Yes or Continue.
    7. Close the Program FOBIK process. Do not continue with programming a key.
    8. Return to the main menu of the WiTech program.
    9. Access the “Diagnostic Procedures” page.
    10. Select the RESET ECU function.
    11. Follow the instructions and reset the Radio Frequency Hub (RFH) Module.
    12. The Tire Pressure Inflation Value will now reflect with actual tire pressure, the vehicle may need to be driven a few miles before the changes are apparent.
I can't imagine how many stupid people, that's going to be too difficult for. I really don't care about the TPMS because I usually tow with the tires inflated close to their max anyways. When I deflate I'm using wheeling and going under 35 anyhow, so I don't care.

But I wonder if that's a point of contention. All I know is, nothing. :popcorn:

ramv
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ramv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:23 am

:winchmob:
Last edited by ramv on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Power Wagon; White Knuckle sliders, 315 BFGs, BD 2Lo Kit, AEV ProCal, Airbags/Daystars, Thuren 2.5" King Power Wagon kit w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

ramv
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by ramv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:26 am

AEV wrote:Hey guys,

Quoting just in case it gets deleted or edited,
2016 Power Wagon; White Knuckle sliders, 315 BFGs, BD 2Lo Kit, AEV ProCal, Airbags/Daystars, Thuren 2.5" King Power Wagon kit w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Reloaderguy
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 am

Best Year Power Wagon

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 am

My opinion of them has lowered. I had this huge post ready to go and I said f it. Not worth the headache. That's like saying you can have the shiny balloon if you buy this fiat 500. But you can't buy the balloon separately from us. Saying your having to go out an beta test but are sending it to vendors??! Also seems stupid. Almost like as a company this is all new to you. Maybe if aev created a unique solution to the suspension system or really a thing other than A bumper and rims... Instead of blocks n spacers. Let me bring comparisons....superlift procomp readylift smittybuilt mopar....... There is at least a bazillion companies making spacer kits for every truck including the ram but a 3" spacer.... Wtf
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

BoldAdventure

Post by BoldAdventure » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:31 am

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 am

ramv wrote:I like their wheels less now. To the point of not even considering buying them and spending more for something (anything) different. I had considered purchasing other Ram products from AEV but after reading the above AEV post I'll go elsewhere.
Yeah, I like the AEV wheels, and TR Beadlocks, but I found these wheels the other day, like SEX, expensive but damn they look good. I need to find out if they will make them in 5.75 backspace, only show 4.5 and 5.0. Just came out with a non Beadlock that looks awesome also.

https://www.innov8racing.com/wheels Gold with Black beadlock...oh my.

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 am

MikeKey wrote:Image
LOL :lol:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

rkgzx9leftcoast wrote: Yeah, I like the AEV wheels, and TR Beadlocks, but I found these wheels the other day, like SEX, expensive but damn they look good. I need to find out if they will make them in 5.75 backspace, only show 4.5 and 5.0. Just came out with a non Beadlock that looks awesome also.

https://www.innov8racing.com/wheels Gold with Black beadlock...oh my.
Wow, beadlocks are expensive, but $800 per corner!?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes :patriot:

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Forged made in USA all the good stuff. They're aimed at desert racing, or guys with money to burn. They make them to order and from what I remember they can be made in any backspace.

IMO they're overkill and overpriced or these trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeschmidt
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by joeschmidt » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm

I like the aev hood. Anybody have one?

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 pm

joeschmidt wrote:I like the aev hood. Anybody have one?
I've seen the hood in person, and it's pretty sweet. I'm just not sure if it's worth the money to me over the factory hood.
2012 Ram Power Wagon: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires