What's wrong with my Hemi?

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: What's wrong with my Hemi?

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 am

If you have the ability and skill to pull the cam I'd say do it. If you were anywhere close I would help. On the flip side if you get stranded by me we could get u fixed up and on your way somehow
Edit: a frend of mine just bought a 14 2500 hemi that had the cam issue happen to it. Got a fully loaded truck with an engine that runs on 7cylinders for $7500. He drove it for 600km home like that. Smoking like crazy though
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:44 am

Ive never worked on the guts of a vehicle engine. Rebuilt my dirtbike totally but that may be slightly different I have no problem tearing into this engine. I just need to know I have all the tools to do it before I start. I'm assuming I need something to pull the balancer, a valve spring compressor, and since I have to pull the heads off should I deck the heads and cut the valve seats? I don't want to go through all the work and miss any good steps. New valve springs and valves are really cheap so I'll just do all of the valves, springs, pushrods, lifters, yokes, and the cam. A factory cam is $74 and I cannot find a performance cam for anything after 2008 so I guess I would go stock again

Sent from my safe space

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Here is a couple of quick fixes. Basically stock--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/14314 And a little more thump--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/9527

Not bad prices either.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

TwinStick wrote:Here is a couple of quick fixes. Basically stock--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/14314 And a little more thump--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/9527

Not bad prices either.
Last week I was trying to nab a used OEM tie rod so I wouldn't have to pay $250 for a new one. $8K for an engine? No, sir!

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Lol. I remember. If your insurance is good and you know for sure the engine is on the way out there is always the 'accidential' potential for hydro locking after a heavy rainfall.

Seriously though the oil analysis first will immediately let you know if parts of your motor are getting worn out or off. The guys there are good and if they see a severe problem they will likely call you. Those guys are top notch.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
TwinStick wrote:Here is a couple of quick fixes. Basically stock--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/14314 And a little more thump--- http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/9527

Not bad prices either.
Last week I was trying to nab a used OEM tie rod so I wouldn't have to pay $250 for a new one. $8K for an engine? No, sir!

Sent from my safe space

When you compare them to these, it's not such a bad deal ! :lol: http://www.shophemi.com/c-1198-arringto ... -more.aspx

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Actually twin if you factor in the cost of fixing a stock motor and then doing all the performance mods to meet that 800-1000hp mark and be reliable....their setups are pretty affordable then

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 pm

I'd love to find a reputable shop that specializes in Hemi's & see how much it would cost to go through my motor, fix the factory weak points & make it produce around 425hp & 450 ft lbs of torque to the wheels, and still be ultra reliable. It would be great to drive there, give them the keys & have them do it & drive it home afterwards. I could never do it myself. A man has got to know his limitations. LOL :lol: I really have no idea what that would even cost ?

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:53 pm

TwinStick wrote:I'd love to find a reputable shop that specializes in Hemi's & see how much it would cost to go through my motor, fix the factory weak points & make it produce around 425hp & 450 ft lbs of torque to the wheels, and still be ultra reliable. It would be great to drive there, give them the keys & have them do it & drive it home afterwards. I could never do it myself. A man has got to know his limitations. LOL :lol: I really have no idea what that would even cost ?
me too. finding a good shop for hemis and working on the computer gremlins doesn't exactly pop up on every block in cities. you would have to drive some distance and plan on leaving it there for some time.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm

TwinStick wrote:I'd love to find a reputable shop that specializes in Hemi's & see how much it would cost to go through my motor, fix the factory weak points & make it produce around 425hp & 450 ft lbs of torque to the wheels, and still be ultra reliable. It would be great to drive there, give them the keys & have them do it & drive it home afterwards. I could never do it myself. A man has got to know his limitations. LOL :lol: I really have no idea what that would even cost ?
Sounds like a stock 6.4 with a tuner :poke:

Well - maybe not that much power to the wheels :D
Last edited by Bill2014 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 pm

They would probably say "no, you're starting with the wrong engine. You need an LS motor in there."

Or you could go to Arrington. Apparently they have it figured out, and that magical number is $18k

Sent from my safe space

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 pm

So did you fix your engine yet DamageWagon?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 pm

coder wrote:So did you fix your engine yet DamageWagon?
I talked to a lab gentleman at Blackstone and he confirmed that they can tell me if the bearings or cam are failing. He said to write down my concerns and send it with the sample so they pay attention to it. I'll mail them the sample tomorrow morning. We are leaving to move on Saturday and will be gone two weeks, so if Blackstone says the cam is shot I will order the parts and do the repairs when we get back from moving but before our long adventure. I'm praying the plain bearings for the cam that are part of the block are ok. If Blackstone says they see the copper from them, I'm just going to run the engine until it has a hard time running and then replace the whole thing.

Sent from my safe space

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Sounds like a stock 6.4 with a tuner :poke:

Well - maybe not that much power to the wheels :D
I have been kicking the idea around, :lol: but hey-I just got complete new pads/rotors/calipers & my new key fobs working, so I'm happy for a little while anyways. :lol: Then again, this would give me what I want & is a LOT cheaper than a new truck: http://moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/16460/9527 :lol:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Well I might have finally found the source of all my headaches... And I'm kicking myself it took so long to figure it out. A few days ago we parked the truck for more than one day with the Dometic fridge still plugged in to battery power during the heat so there was a regular draw on the battery. The fridge has been regularly triggering the low battery cutout which I thought was strange. Anyhow, everything has added up to show that the battery is not supplying effective voltage to the truck and I think that is what is causing my misfire, and my inverter to not work on a regular basis. I didn't notice it during the month I wasn't really driving the truck because the battery was disconnected, although it did run rough for a bit on startup after that. Not a camshaft or something crazy like that. I drove my truck almost 30 minutes a few days ago before it stopped misfiring, and I could hear and feel it running very rough the entire time. Now that we are driving a lot again, it runs great.

So my questions are: do you guys trust NAPA or Advanced Auto to EFFECTIVELY check battery voltage and alternator output? I need to know which one of those (or both) is the problem.

I'm also hoping one of the dealer guys can tell me when kind of voltage the PCM is looking for to run normally?

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:29 am

At least on my 09' the pcm seems to keep things at 14.6-14.7 volts. Glad to hear you don't need to do anything invasive and expensive sir!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:13 am

Colibri wrote:At least on my 09' the pcm seems to keep things at 14.6-14.7 volts. Glad to hear you don't need to do anything invasive and expensive sir!
I hope so. My last oil analysis seemed pretty good, can answered a lot of questions but damn if I'm not happy to hear I don't need to do that haha. Maybe my horrible fuel economy is something else.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 am

You're horrible fuel economy is from having a power wagon.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:52 am

You should be getting 14.7. I'm having a hard time understanding how a battery would cause a misfire with electronic ignition. I would think a problem with your alternator would be the cause of the battery. Have you checked your coils?

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:You should be getting 14.7. I'm having a hard time understanding how a battery would cause a misfire with electronic ignition. I would think a problem with your alternator would be the cause of the battery. Have you checked your coils?
/\ that
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Yeah, I would check the coils. Maybe if battery is not/can not supply enough of the correct voltage it may cause that. Reg batteries are not meant to be deeply discharged & after a complete discharge, it may never hold a full charge again. And your alternator may be working overtime trying to make up the difference. Switch batteries from a vehicle you KNOW has a good battery & see. If not, nothing spent.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:26 pm

I'll be swapping in my camper battery (Optima Yellow Top) and see how it goes. The coils were one of the first suspects, the truck had original Mopar coils. Right before I bought the truck the owner bought a set of MSD's and I installed them. Made zero difference and I still have the Mopars in a box.

I think the coils or the PCM might not be getting enough voltage. My fuel economy has always been around 11-12, with or without the camper. Best I've ever seen was 13 going 55 on flat land. I drive like a grandma on the pavement. When I talked with Colibri he was doing better than that on beadlocks and 37's in a 3rd gen, that's why I'm thinking mileage is low.

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I installed aftermarket Accel coil in my Ford Ranger. It caused all sorts of weird issues. Ended up with factory new coil & no more issues. :lol: Looks like i already said that back in Dec of 2016 ! :lol:

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:13 pm

On the 3G's. When the battery gets weak. Even though it tests ok. It will cause some problems that are hard to figure out. There have been a couple of threads on this. You might want to check this out.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:59 am

This is a long-term final update to these issues for anyone who has experienced them. I believed I knew the issue for a long time but did not want to post it until I knew I had the fix.

To sum things up, my truck is a 2011 with the 5.7 Hemi. It was a law enforcement truck for 100,000 miles, went to another owner for 40,000, then I bought it and it now has 180,000 on it. I have always had rough running of the engine at best and AGGRESSIVE misfiring on occasion, which recently has been repeatable like a clock. Aggressive misfiring as in, I believed that it was possible a piston might shatter or something along those lines and considered parking the truck for several hours to let the engine temps normalize.

The problem and the fix. All along it looks like the problem was a leaking exhaust manifold on both sides in three places total. Just having an exhaust manifold leak was enough to cause rough running, notable torque loss, misfiring. Lower temperatures and east drives were the worst. Towing anything even light was the best where the engine was worked harder and would lead to the smoothest running. I was finally able to take three days and do some work to the truck. I recently got low oil pressure so I ran Amsoil engine flush and dropped the oil pan and cleaned the oil pickup and pan with kerosene, replaced the pickup o-ring but reused the oil pan gasket although I had a new one on hand. Did an oil change to Amsoil 0w-30. Pulled both exhaust manifolds and found that the upper-rear bolt was sheared at the head on both sides. I ported the manifolds and cleaned all mating surfaces with a wire wheel. Attempted to plane the mating surfaces with sandpaper but it wasn’t quite working and I figured the new manifold gaskets have quite a bit of squish to them so I reinstalled the manifolds using new gaskets and Class 10.9 M8-1.25x40mm screws.

This made a huge change!!! I did have a bit so fun issue with a stick lifter when I fired the truck back up, but otherwise once oil got to temp it popped free and everything has been healthy ever since. No more misfires, it runs like a top next to how it has always been! It does still run a little rough and I hope the Amsoil PI and intake cleaner will help.

The 35mm bolts are too short. They work but are at the limit of what works. I’m ordering some 50mm bolts to replace them which will give even more thread depth into the head than the factory hardware did.
Attachments
8704B07F-944C-4525-B6EE-757B1C31D65D.jpeg
86F21AD1-5D8F-4B3C-A88F-A2308A0A1754.jpeg
BCF58505-893E-4B0B-AFE9-303F101133B4.jpeg
AF9B8FDE-B18E-4274-888F-58986B6E442A.jpeg