Why do people complain about these trucks so much?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
trmat79
50_Posts
50_Posts

Why do people complain about these trucks so much?

Post by trmat79 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I've been on other forums and people are constantly complaining about all the things they hate about the truck. Why buy it then is my opinion. There are tons of trucks on the market and the Ram is just one. So my question (for a little Sunday morning discussion) is why do people complain so much in your opinion? My guess is they all wanted power wagons and fell a little short in their purchase :wink:

Todd :patriot:
2012 PW Black on Black

FLY NAVY

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Why do people complain about these trucks so much?

Post by cruz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:52 pm

As far as I'm concerned, after 7years I love my truck and have no compaints. :D
2005 Power Wagon

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Everyone has complaints about something, no matter what car or truck.

I've had some minor issues, but nothing that warranty or an aftermarket part couldn't handle.

SilverWagon05

Post by SilverWagon05 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Just about to hit 7 years here too. I love my truck and I too have zero complaints. Is it perfect in every which way, like a.....uuummmm, a......uuummmmm, I guess I'm at a loss here.

But, I guess you could say that I'm the type of person who knows not to order Italian food at a Mexican restaurant, Mexican food at a Bistro and Chinese food at an American restaurant. If you understand what I'm getting at, then you probably have zero to very few real complaints. If you don't understand, then you're probably complaining right now.
05 Silver QC Power Wagon / Auto
Pure Performance long arms, 6" Thuren soft ride coils, Walker Evans 2.0 Front and Fox 2.0 rear shocks, HD adj. track bar, 37/13.5/17 Toyo Open Country M/T's, 17x9 Moto Metal 951-black, dual-modified Amp Power steps, Custom rock sliders and front and rear tube bumpers, rear lower quarter panel delete, Challenger Narrow truck box - black, AEM Brute Force CAI, SC Flashpaq, Flowtech shorty headers, Gibson Extreme Dual Cat-Back (chopped), Line-X Bed liner, Locker bypass, Black locking Billet Gas filler door, WeatherTech smoked inchannel vent visors & floor liners, Recon LED smoked cab lights, smoked LED 3rd brake light, smoked LED tail lights, smoked projector headlights, Viair constant duty OBA, DOR steering box brace, PowerStop drilled & slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads, Spicer Life series front axle u-joints, DOR sway bar links, DOR steering linkage, Borgeson steering shaft and steering gear, PSC Hydro-assist, Thuren adjustable shackles, leaf spring bracket modification, coil retainer modification, Spyntech Shorty Free Spin conversion, custom long travel heavy duty front drive shaft, Rock crusher rear diff cover, Carli front diff guard, Masterpull synthetic winch rope, 2-6" KC 130w Longrange lights behind the grill, 100w fog lights, 55w floodlights mounted on rear bumper, High/Low/Fog all-on mod, Pioneer head unit, MTX Thunderform with 2-10's, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Timbren SES.

chromehound
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by chromehound » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:32 pm

My complaints are based on the fact I got my truck used and the PO didn't know a lugnut from a dipstick so I'm finding issues here and there that just piss me off because they are, for the most part, simple fixes that just got ignored.

Oh and I hate Dodges cup holders being on the floor.

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:29 pm

cruz wrote:As far as I'm concerned, after 7years I love my truck and have no compaints. :D
AceMan wrote:Everyone has complaints about something, no matter what car or truck.
OK Ace, I wish it had 650 HP, 700 ft. lbs. torque and 74 MPG. :lol:
2005 Power Wagon

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 pm

It's simple for me. I ordered mine new. I had to replace the entire front end at 18,500 miles. Dealer sucked & said there was nothing wrong with it. 21 yo kid diagnosed my truck while leaning up against the wall-smoking a cigaret. Still not done. Need upgraded steering gearbox &/or new pump. Hope it will last me a while longer before it goes completely. This is just unacceptable on a $50,000 truck. My truck still has less than 30,000 miles on it. I mean really, trucks are meant to work & haul, but an entire rebuild at 18,500 miles. They used shit parts for future business. Bad business decision IMHO.

BUT-----They ALL have issues. We have 6 people where i work & 7 at the place next door, that have GM 5.3L trucks. They are all using 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. GM says that is acceptable & doing nothing for them---except blaming the owners for "not letting the dealer change the oil." Some use Mobil 1, one uses Amsoil, some actually HAVE let the dealer do all the oil changes. Always an excuse. One is contacting the Attorney General & has a folder 2" thick. He has already been denied through the Lemon Law.

I knew going in that i would have to rebuild the front end---just not at 18,500 miles. I love my truck. Best truck i have ever owned---once all the shit stock parts are replaced. :cheers:

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm

cruz wrote:
cruz wrote:As far as I'm concerned, after 7years I love my truck and have no compaints. :D
AceMan wrote:Everyone has complaints about something, no matter what car or truck.
OK Ace, I wish it had 650 HP, 700 ft. lbs. torque and 74 MPG. :lol:
You'll need a P-238 Earth Space Modulator to get that. :D

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 pm

TwinStick wrote:It's simple for me. I ordered mine new. I had to replace the entire front end at 18,500 miles. Dealer sucked & said there was nothing wrong with it. 21 yo kid diagnosed my truck while leaning up against the wall-smoking a cigaret. Still not done. Need upgraded steering gearbox &/or new pump. Hope it will last me a while longer before it goes completely. This is just unacceptable on a $50,000 truck. My truck still has less than 30,000 miles on it. I mean really, trucks are meant to work & haul, but an entire rebuild at 18,500 miles. They used shit parts for future business. Bad business decision IMHO.

BUT-----They ALL have issues. We have 6 people where i work & 7 at the place next door, that have GM 5.3L trucks. They are all using 1qt of oil every 1000 miles. GM says that is acceptable & doing nothing for them---except blaming the owners for "not letting the dealer change the oil." Some use Mobil 1, one uses Amsoil, some actually HAVE let the dealer do all the oil changes. Always an excuse. One is contacting the Attorney General & has a folder 2" thick. He has already been denied through the Lemon Law.

I knew going in that i would have to rebuild the front end---just not at 18,500 miles. I love my truck. Best truck i have ever owned---once all the shit stock parts are replaced. :cheers:
I remember your thread at the other place with all these problems. I'm glad you got it to the point where it's ok now.

fbenross
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by fbenross » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:21 pm

This topic isn't new...And as I said before, people seek out help on forums when they have a problem...My PW has been one of the best trucks I've owned. But I don't go around posting that on forums. Thousands of power wagons have been sold, and to base an opinion on there reliability based on the posts on a forum would be wrong.
Ben CW3 2/10th AIR CAV FT ORD CA. (retired)
2006 Power Wagon-6spd, rear air bags, Diff Guards:Carli F. RockCrusher R., matching rim for spare tire, removed back seat for storage----I own the following: 2005 Hallmark pop-top Camper---1970 Scout 800 4x4 w/232ci 6cyl 4spd---2006 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport---Pictures @ https://www.flickr.com/photos/powerwagon/collections

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Took alot of replacement parts to the front end and locker/smartbar when I first bought it 2 years ago.. Guy before me drove it like he stole it. But now that it is all but new at 105,000 the PW is still running strong to places like this today with the fam. Nicest truck I've ever owned :cheers:
Attachments
Power Wagon 007.jpg
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 am

GunniPWguy wrote:Took alot of replacement parts to the front end and locker/smartbar when I first bought it 2 years ago.. Guy before me drove it like he stole it. But now that it is all but new at 105,000 the PW is still running strong to places like this today with the fam. Nicest truck I've ever owned :cheers:
Air a little thin at 12,000 feet? :D

Hemi46
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Hemi46 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:29 pm

I love my truck. The only complaint that I have is that I don't have a lot of places to go offroading.
05 Power Wagon
6" lift
true duells flowmaster 50 double in double out
Alpine deck
Kicker zx 1000.1 amp running JL 12" sub
Focal 800 watt amp running Focal door speakers
Viper alarm with remote start and smartstart w/gps
Glock .40 under seat
tinted windows
Fox 2.0 shocks
K @ N cai
Diablo intune I-1000

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by whitey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:43 pm

I'll say the same thing all over again. I bought my truck new, planned on wheeling it for years and keeping for years. I knew since I was wheeling a 2006 PW back in late 2005 that I would be finding weak points with no support from power wagon owners or from Dodge. By the time I found the other site I was already in the process of putting together my 3rd hydro assist steering system as well as other personal fixes. At no time did I ever assume "no parts would break or wear down". We drive a heavy truck that is hard on parts period! Sure the steering system is not what it should be but IT IS THE BEST OFFROAD PICKUP TRUCK PERIOD. As far as I am concerned there is no substitute! When buying a new truck It is by far the best platform to start a build.

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AceMan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:16 pm

whitey wrote:I'll say the same thing all over again. I bought my truck new, planned on wheeling it for years and keeping for years. I knew since I was wheeling a 2006 PW back in late 2005 that I would be finding weak points with no support from power wagon owners or from Dodge. By the time I found the other site I was already in the process of putting together my 3rd hydro assist steering system as well as other personal fixes. At no time did I ever assume "no parts would break or wear down". We drive a heavy truck that is hard on parts period! Sure the steering system is not what it should be but IT IS THE BEST OFFROAD PICKUP TRUCK PERIOD. As far as I am concerned there is no substitute! When buying a new truck It is by far the best platform to start a build.
Well said! :cheers: :winchmob:

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 pm

I have not heard any complaints, do you have an example?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

trmat79
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trmat79 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Oh nothing about the power wagon exactly. Mostly guys with 1500 etc. but hey I love my truck period
2012 PW Black on Black

FLY NAVY

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 pm

I will be buried in my PW. 8-) It's one of the best vehicles I ever owned. :D ........................If I can just get rid of the mod bug. :doh: My wallet and credit card would be happy.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 pm

I'll be honest, I was a little worried about the lockers/sway bar when I bought this truck because of some of the things I've heard, but after figuring out how they work I've been nothing but happy with this truck. Granted I have less than 8,000 miles on my truck so far, but as of now it's been a great truck. Understanding how to engage the lockers and the sway bar was the biggest learning curve, but now that I’ve actually gotten to use them they are great. You’ll never see me own anything less than a Power Wagon ever again.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

trmat79
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trmat79 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm

so with that said is there anything i should know as a newbie power wagon guy?
2012 PW Black on Black

FLY NAVY

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 pm

trmat79 wrote:so with that said is there anything i should know as a newbie power wagon guy?
Watching your bank acount go empty because of the mods you want to do. :lol:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

trmat79
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by trmat79 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

RustyPW wrote:
trmat79 wrote:so with that said is there anything i should know as a newbie power wagon guy?
Watching your bank acount go empty because of the mods you want to do. :lol:
haha I have a harley too so trust me I know that feeling. Was curious about steering stabilizers etc. Prob gonna switch over to Amsoil or Mobil 1 at 4000 miles. Also want to do either a drop in K&N or some sort of CAI just trying to figure out whats best
2012 PW Black on Black

FLY NAVY

Ramicon

Post by Ramicon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I love my truck !! I had a RAM 2010 Diesel 4x4 cumming's and traded it for a RAM 2011 Diesel 4x4 and put a leveling kit on it and had a night mare with it,,Death wobble.....and guys if you have not experience that well...its worst than any earth quake !! the damage that does too a truck must be incredible...anyway compare to a 2011 Laramie 4x4 diesel RAM this 2012 PW is like driving a LEXUS !! I mean it ! the shocks and springs are so soft it feels like Im floating on air.... I can not say enough good things about this truck...and I hope to take it off road....but if I do not..at least I have the peace of mind, knowing that it I need it..I have the most capable off road truck sold...anyway all trucks need to be take care of....so far I have put 60K on all of my trucks combined...zero problems

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Anyone found a plug and play locker bypass being made for these newer rigs? Just curious. If you don't know, it is a mod that allows you to trick the computer into thinking you are in 4 lo when you are actually in 4 hi or 2 hi and want to use the lockers. There are all kinds of rants about it elsewhere. I love the fact that I can lock em up in 4 hi.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by whitey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 pm

That is a huge question that can go in any direction. But If you watch the threads you will learn the weaknesses of the truck and some of the maintenance done that doesn't occur on other trucks. Bottom line is there is a ton to learn about your truck but you don't have to know it all. When you run into a problem you just get on here and ask. And searching on the other site doesn't hurt either. There are quite a few threads we haven't covered on this site yet but things tend to make a full circle. Before you know it you'll be able to rap off specs only a power wagon owner knows. That does bring up one unfortunate point. I hate to say it but don't assume the dodge dealer knows your truck. My experience has been they over assume it's like a ram 2500.