Valve rattle.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Ak68w
Model Year: 2012

Valve rattle.

Post by Ak68w » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 am

Was curious if anyone has any experience with valve rattle in the engines? Getting it under acceleration under a load and at startup a little. Going to try a bg treatment and see if that helps. I run all 93 octane. Wondering if my leaking valve cover I had a while back could have caused it when I changed plugs and got oil down in the back plug hole. Motor is right at 118000 miles. Thanks for any input.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Valve rattle.

Post by coder » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:28 pm

What year is your truck?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:13 pm

2010PWERWGN
Model Year: 2010

Post by 2010PWERWGN » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Just curious, what spark plugs did you install? Could it be pinging under load? Are you sure your noise at startup isn't broken exhaust bolts? Just spitballing here. As far as the oil leakage goes that could definitely ruin a coil boot or the coil if it's bad enough.

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 pm

I've had broken exhaust manifold bolts causing an exhaust leak that sounded like valve rattle. You might be able to use a short piece of hose held up to your ear to zero in on where the sound is coming from.

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Hmm.... wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and replace the broken ones... I know I have at least one. However it sounds pretty metallic and really can be recreated by revving the engine in neutral. Think I'll go ahead and do that that, it's easy enough.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:57 pm

For the leaky valve cover you can pull it off and check the gasket around the sparkplug hole, sometimes it can come out or tear it's an easy fix. If the coil was ruined by oil you would have a code in your PCM, if not clean it with some electric connector cleaner.

The 93 octane may cause pinging your engine was designed to use 89.
Attachments
Hemi Valve Cover Gaskets.jpg
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:39 pm

coder wrote:For the leaky valve cover you can pull it off and check the gasket around the sparkplug hole, sometimes it can come out or tear it's an easy fix. If the coil was ruined by oil you would have a code in your PCM, if not clean it with some electric connector cleaner.

The 93 octane may cause pinging your engine was designed to use 89.

Coder,

Thanks for the reply! I fixed the valve cover gasket about a month or two ago, and noticed the inner gasket on the back cylinder driver side was dried out and solid thus causing oil to leak into the plug holes.i sprayed the cool tubes out with elctrode cleaner as well. I'm sure some got into the combustion chamber when I pulled the plugs out, and I'm wondering if that wouldn't have caused it to have some buildup on the head thus increasing compression in that cylinder causing knock and valve rattle? I would figure oil would burn out fairly quickly as my experience with radial engines that get oil in them all the time do not have issues with it. However those engines are typically 6:1-7:1 compression.

As far as the gasoline, wouldn't 93 provide more knock protection? I would love to run 89 in it as it's cheaper and would get a little better mileage, but I think I'd get more ringing...that's how the valves on my old ragged out 2001 318 were. I'm new to the hemi, so I'm not up and up on all the nuisances and tendancies of these engines.

Thanks again for everyone's input and information!

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:12 pm

I seriously doubt electrode cleaner in the combustion chamber would hurt anything, Hemi's like 89 octane gasoline (see 2012 owners manual screen-shot below) also stock copper plugs burn in the optimal heat range and are preferred.

5.7 Hemi's are prone to rusted/broken exhaust manifold studs causing an exhaust leak, this creates a noticeable tick on startup and hard exceleration. 03-05 model year 5.7's did have issues with valve springs breaking but not on later model years.
Attachments
2012 Fuel Recomendation Page.jpg
Last edited by coder on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:40 pm

coder wrote:I seriously doubt electrode cleaner in the combustion chamber would hurt anything, Hemi's like 89 octane gasoline (see 2012 owners manual screen-shot below) also stock copper plugs burn in the optimal heat range are and preferred.

5.7 Hemi's are prone to rusted/broken exhaust manifold studs causing an exhaust leak, this creates a noticeable tick on startup and hard exceleration. 03-05 model year 5.7's did have issues with valve springs breaking but not on later model years.

Wow. Looks like I'm going to have to switch...thankfully. Amazing the stuff they put in owners manuals lol. Wasn't conceded about elctrode cleaner in the combustion chamber but the oil that leaked in when the plugs came out. I don't think the oil would cause much buildup though and should have burned out quickly.

I'm going to change the manifold bolts out when I do the breaks next week and report back!

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 am

Retired BLM Rig wrote:A warped manifold is what causes broken bolts, check the flatness with a straightedge. :secret:

Will do thanks for the input. I was under the assumption the broken bolts were just a common issue with these engines

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Oh, they are. As are warped exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TommyG
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TommyG » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:Oh, they are. As are warped exhaust manifolds.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Yup. Just had one replaced on my 2012 with less than 50,000 miles on it.

Shorty headers are on the list of must haves sometime down the road.
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders, myoung locker bypass, Thuren Track Bar, Thuren Control Arms, Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50, Method Race Wheels

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 am

Do long tubes fit pretty easy?

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:28 am

Well it's definitely valves... fixed the broken exhaust bolts and no change. So I guess back to the original question, anyone he. Any experience with valve rattle on these engines? It does it in gear at idle but not in neutral and during acceleration. Fuel grade makes no difference.

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:15 pm

Can you describe the sound a little bit better or get a video of the noise? Really hard to diagnose an engine based on someone describing what is going on. However based on my knowledge of these motors (I have 4, 3rd gen hemi's), I don't believe you are hearing a valve rattle. If you have a lifter that has collapsed or a valve spring that has failed you sure would know it by listening, and you would also have a CEL go to along with it. Being that it is happening when in gear, I would look for something that is loose (exhaust heat shields, etc) that is rattling on the drivetrain/motor. Sounds like it is RPM/vibration frequency dependant and not internal motor related. However if you are still concerned, pop off the valve covers, and have a friend crank the motor over while you watch. If you don't have someone else set the coil packs back on and you can fire it up. Will get a little oil splash but nothing bad.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

Ak68w

Post by Ak68w » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:21 pm

So just got the truck out of the shop today. Steering box replaced, broken exhaust bolts replaced, manifolds not warped. Thuren track bar installed. Cranked it up, same noise. Three mechs looked at it and came to the conclusion it sounds like lifters. Dood says he’s going to research if they can be replaced..... in like WTF why couldn’t they be? So frustrating.

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by coder » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Found this on youtube is it the same thing you are experiencing, could be a bad/grooved cam messing up the lifters.

https://youtu.be/GsxszbVQ7O0