Kill-switch for electronic nannies

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Kill-switch for electronic nannies

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:09 pm

If you pull the F6 40A fuse you can do donuts to your heart's content. You get an ABS warning light but it goes away as soon as you put the fuse back. Similar to what was posted in the DTX discussion.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Reloaderguy wrote:If you pull the F6 40A fuse you can do donuts to your heart's content. You get an ABS warning light but it goes away as soon as you put the fuse back. Similar to what was posted in the DTX discussion.

Out of curiosity, does 4wd happen to function when doing that?

I ask because my friends cummins truck would not go ito 4wd when his abs was not functioning. They do have a little different engagement setup then our pw's, though.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:50 pm

olyelr wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:If you pull the F6 40A fuse you can do donuts to your heart's content. You get an ABS warning light but it goes away as soon as you put the fuse back. Similar to what was posted in the DTX discussion.

Out of curiosity, does 4wd happen to function when doing that?

I ask because my friends cummins truck would not go ito 4wd when his abs was not functioning. They do have a little different engagement setup then our pw's, though.
Yeah. The axle disconnect functions fine.

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mike-H » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 am

Does that have any negative side effects like anything unrelated not working while the fuse is out? On DTX someone mentioned his dash and cruise didn't work with the fuse out on the later trucks. I haven't had time to experiment with my truck to see what it would do.

Although I did have the idea of putting a switch on one of the ABS sensor wires. That would give the system a fault and possibly cause it to turn off or go into failsafe mode. This is the way I killed the ABS system on my KTM. Once the system sensed an error on the speed sensor it would give me an ABS light and I had full control of the brakes.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:02 am

Well i know for a fact that when abs isnt working on a '13 cummins, neither does the 4wd system.

We ripped the abs wires right out of the wheel bearing when changing his ball joints (it fell off the radius arm). The 4x4 system would no longer engage until he replaced that sensor/wire.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 am

What nannies are bothering you people?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:41 am

MikeKey wrote:What nannies are bothering you people?

Wheeling in the snow, the abs drives me insane. Even in 4 lo.

Otherwise, havnt had much issues yet aside from not being able to fishtail in 2hi. That ticks me right off too.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:23 pm

I embrace all my nannies - and with some practice have even figured out how to go where no Snowsled has gone before :lol:
Even love the TPMS...
Don't really have the desire to do donuts in the sand or snow... Don't squeal the tires on purpose to get attention - my horn works for that.

Would even welcome some of the new nannies that are coming down the pike - such as lane departure and crash avoidance. :poke:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 pm

In 4Hi if you need wheel speed and are on an incline the computer backs off the throttle. It feels like a dead pedal.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
I embrace all my nannies - and with some practice have even figured out how to go where no Snowsled has gone before :lol:
Even love the TPMS...
Don't really have the desire to do donuts in the sand or snow... Don't squeal the tires on purpose to get attention - my horn works for that.

Would even welcome some of the new nannies that are coming down the pike - such as lane departure and crash avoidance. :poke:

:lol:

I agree to a point. Not a single one of the nannies bother me with normal daily driving. But off road...

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mike-H » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Bill2014 wrote:
Even love the TPMS...

Wait until you see that hole or washout on a dirt road a little too late and the ABS decides it doesn't want the wheels to slip, so you hit it at full speed bs being able to slow down. You'll cuss the ABS! This is one area the Raptor is hands down better. Having an off road mode with traction control off along with the ABS programmed for slippage makes the vehicle much better to drive off-road and safer too.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Low_Sky » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Mike-H wrote:
Bill2014 wrote:
Even love the TPMS...

Wait until you see that hole or washout on a dirt road a little too late and the ABS decides it doesn't want the wheels to slip, so you hit it at full speed bs being able to slow down. You'll cuss the ABS! This is one area the Raptor is hands down better. Having an off road mode with traction control off along with the ABS programmed for slippage makes the vehicle much better to drive off-road and safer too.
Yeah, steering sucks and is in no way helpful for avoiding potholes. :poke:
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Mike-H
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Mike-H » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Try avoiding a wash across the whole road. Not everything can be steered around. Sometimes getting on the brakes hard is the only option.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 pm

KINGs can help those holes feel smaller. :D
Just don't tell your wife that when justifying your purchase...

I'm confident driving the truck as is and using the computer to my advantage, but I do think these trucks should be able to fully disable all assistance at the push of a button in 2HI or 4HI also. I'd love to disconnect the swaybar at any time as well. I've forgotten to disable ECS in 4HI before getting in sand and couldn't slow down to do so but was barely staying on top of it thanks to constant throttle reduction. I believe a simple toggle switch wired to the ABS fuse would eliminate our problems, but may have other side effects. I've asked before with no takers, who's gonna be the brave one to try it first? Haha.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:19 am

I pulled the fuse (#26) last week at the ranch and played around all day without it. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree both ESC and TCS including the most unsettling, a large red BRAKE light at the top of the display. It was dry and rocky so to tell you the truth I didn't notice the difference but usually run around in 4lo anyway which accomplishes(?) the same purpose. Someone would need to run high speed in 4hi without it or in slick conditions to really see the effects.

I think switching the fuse should be simple.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I cut all kinds of wires in my truck playing with the lights. haha. I have my back up lights, tail lights and clearance lights on switches. Bypassed all the 4wd bullshit and put a manual disconnect on the swaybar. Only thing mine has now is the ABS and yes, that sucks a major donkey ___ when you have to stop offroad, even going slow on slick stuff. Offroad, you need the tires to lock up an dig down at certain times. You flat out can not stop on a muddy road that is slick.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:39 pm

Will wrote:I cut all kinds of wires in my truck playing with the lights. haha. I have my back up lights, tail lights and clearance lights on switches. Bypassed all the 4wd bullshit and put a manual disconnect on the swaybar. Only thing mine has now is the ABS and yes, that sucks a major donkey ___ when you have to stop offroad, even going slow on slick stuff. Offroad, you need the tires to lock up an dig down at certain times. You flat out can not stop on a muddy road that is slick.

Well for crying out loud put a switch on the ABS fuse already! :mrgreen:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:
I think switching the fuse should be simple.
That may be a better solution. Hmmmm.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Yep. I could run that wiring in less time than it takes me to pop the hood. Well...almost :wink:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Rodeoflyer wrote:Yep. I could run that wiring in less time than it takes me to pop the hood. Well...almost :wink:

Is it easy to figure out what wire it is? Obviously the fuse is easy to find, but is the wire easy to locate and tap into?

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:33 pm

I'm thinking a fuse tap http://www.dmbruss.com/zRVTech/RVTT_FuseSwitch.htm

It would be simple to remove for 'warranty' work. It may not be as easy with these fuse types. I'm looking for something that may work...

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

Wow. Yeah, I just pulled the fuse for the ABS and other electronic stuff. What a transformation! You actually feel in control of the truck... man and machine... like driving a vehicle from back in the 70s.

Now, how the hell to tap into this with a switch? Preferably discretely as possible. For right now I will gladly pop the hood and pull the fuse, but a switch in the cab sure would be a nice addition.

dodgethis15

Post by dodgethis15 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Please, electronic wizards of this forum, give us the hooligan switch!!

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts

Kill-switch for electronic nannies

Post by Low_Sky » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:01 pm

It's the green 40A by itself in the middle of the box.

If it will fit under the lid of the fuse box, it looks like you'd just need to make one of these with a switch wired in.

http://www.aeswave.com/JCASE-Fuse-Exten ... p9267.html
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread