Rock Rails

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
scoutermike
Model Year: 2014

Rock Rails

Post by scoutermike » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Need some help with choosing rock rails for my 2016 Powerwagon. I've looked at n-Fab, Alumness, Lund (lightweight) and White Knuckle(wow, expensive). Tell me what you are using. Need to do this soon as I will be wheeling at the end of Sept. in Northern Ontario.

Mike
2016 PowerWagon Flame Red - Loaded, Amsteel Blue winch line and extension, Factor 55 Prolink, Duratrac 315/70R17LT, Rigid Fog Light bkt. and D2's (Driving and wide), SPOD.

2015 Hellcat Charger B5 Blue - loaded

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: Rock Rails

Post by Colibri » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:02 pm

What I have and the only one of those I would take wheeling is the white knuckle sliders. If you only need a step any of them would work, but for actual protection there's only one way to go. All the others mount to the body pinch weld instead of the frame
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

chrisjameswagner
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by chrisjameswagner » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:29 pm

I've got Aluminess and they've held up well. While I'm not in the habit of dropping the truck I do regularly slide and pivot. While they are pinch weld as the primary attachment, they've done well for my style of wheeling. They do scratch up quite bit and get gouged but nothing a rattle can cant solve. I've not once regretted putting them on.
2012 - Aluminess sliders, Century High C Shell, Wilderness Rack, Rigid D2's on front bar, sleeping and storage platform, Carli High Clearance Arms, springs, control arm, track bar, Bilstein 7100's, Day star rear shackles, 35" Cooper ST MAXX., Front bumper and under carriage camera set up

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:11 am

For a 4th Gen, only White Knuckle and Aluminess make actual "rock rails", anything else is designed solely as a step and would NOT provide any protection to your truck.You get what you pay for. If you plan on wheeling your truck, spend the extra money now to keep your body panels safe, you'll save time, money and aggravation in the long-run.

I do not have any personal experience with the Aluminess rock-sliders, alhough there are several members here who have them and are happy with them. However, I do have a set of White Knuckle rock-sliders on my 3rd Gen and they are simply AWESOME. The quality of their construction and design is fantastic and in less than a year they have more than paid for themselves. The frame mount is rock-solid(hehehe).
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 am

Any difference between 2015 and 2016 models? If not, you may also want to check out the Randy Ellis sliders. The White Knuckles are awesome and I almost went that route but after talking with Randy I decided to give his sliders a shot. Otherwise, White Knuckle is the clear winner....but you better order soon if you want them by the end of September.

Adam

Allen8511

Post by Allen8511 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:45 am

White Knucke all the way. This is one of those aftermarket parts you don't want to cheap out on. Just today I was playing in the rocks and they saved my bacon. Check this video out. It's a pretty thorough review of the White Knuckle Rock Rails.

https://youtu.be/EzGIH4HerYc

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:51 am

Allen8511 wrote:White Knucke all the way. This is one of those aftermarket parts you don't want to cheap out on. Just today I was playing in the rocks and they saved my bacon. Check this video out. It's a pretty thorough review of the White Knuckle Rock Rails.

https://youtu.be/EzGIH4HerYc
:lol: :lol: He was more impressed with the Power Wagon but was trying his best not to talk about it. In the beginning he talks about hitting this particular rock, then drives over it without touching, his look was like, "well, damn" :lol:
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am

WK. it's your clear choice for complete functional protection. The others are fine for looks and will work as a step. However, if you're over 200lbs, you'll notice them flex every time you step up. Mine paid for themselves within 60 days. I installed mine on my truck when it was about a yr old. I had been on the list since I took delivery of my truck; I was one of the first 14+ sets John built. About 60 days after installation, I went to northern MI for deer season and we got hammered w/ snow and blistering cold all week. My cousin and I were out scouting because it was too cold & snow too deep (28"+) to sit and hunt, I wasn't even sure I was on a trail there was so much snow & we couldn't even find any landmarks to tell really if we were in the middle of the woods or still on a 2-track. Anyway, I was climbing this short (⅛ mi), but very steep hill, and when I crested, it took a sharp right, with trees surrounding in jeep tight quarters, & before I could react, we were sliding sideways down. Well the large diameter stump at the bottoms, courtesy of the MÍ trail folks, stopped us abruptly. The truck slammed into the stump & the sliders took all the force with only a slight scratch in the Line-X. W/o those, I would have had extensive body damage, and 3 functioning doors, instead of the standard issue four.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Just to repeat what others are saying, if you are going to wheel hard, you should invest in the White Knuckle sliders. There is some guy on the FB group who is making knock offs. And I think that is Randy Ellis. He's in Canada so it tends to be cheaper for folks up north. From the close up photos I've seen, they're not as polished and you can tell it's a guy who just figured out how to make them. Personal opinion. The WK are worth the cost if you are in the states and wheeling hard. They're high-quality with a really good finish.

2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:32 pm

White Knuckle FTW. I've had them for several years. Worth their substantial weight in gold.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Another win for the WK. We went hiking in the Montezuma area this weekend, and we dropped on a few boulders on the access trail. I took my Avalanche up the year before, but didn't go near as far, and put a lot of effort into avoiding boulders. With the rock sliders, I could lock up the diffs and just crawl over the rocks without repositioning. I wasn't sliding on them hard, but I certainly would have put a few dents in the rocker panels if I didn't have them.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

scoutermike

Post by scoutermike » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Still undecided.......
2016 PowerWagon Flame Red - Loaded, Amsteel Blue winch line and extension, Factor 55 Prolink, Duratrac 315/70R17LT, Rigid Fog Light bkt. and D2's (Driving and wide), SPOD.

2015 Hellcat Charger B5 Blue - loaded

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 pm

scoutermike wrote:Thanks everyone for all your replies. Still undecided.......

Well i will end the undecided battle.

WK and done.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:42 pm

MikeKey wrote:Just to repeat what others are saying, if you are going to wheel hard, you should invest in the White Knuckle sliders. There is some guy on the FB group who is making knock offs. And I think that is Randy Ellis. He's in Canada so it tends to be cheaper for folks up north.
Negative, Randy is in Phoenix and his rails are nothing like the WKs. Not bashing WK because they are definitely bad ass, but there are other (very limited) options out there. :rockon: Just not sure if the RE will fit a 2016.

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/Dodge-C ... p_109.html

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Mr.Smith » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:57 pm

How are the Randy Ellis rails mounted? The frame mounted designs are what most(myself included)prefer & are seeking. The problem with the body mounted designs if seriously abused/used in these heavyweights, eventually mounting points experience fatigue/failure within the sheet metal.

ramv
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by ramv » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:10 pm

I have no knowledge of the RE, so this isn't negative. Part of why I bought a PW versus an F350 was bolt on sliders. They are truly bolt on and stout. I did weld on Rock Stomper sliders on my 2nd Gen. Awesome, but a higher level of commitment. Also, spray painted versus powder coated.
2016 Laramie; 5.13s, Locker Bypass, WK sliders, 35" Toyo MT, 2Lo Kit, ProCal, Hemifever tune, Airbags/Cradles, Thuren 2.5" King w/ Boogie Bumps, Warn SDP6000

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 am

Mr.Smith wrote:How are the Randy Ellis rails mounted? The frame mounted designs are what most(myself included)prefer & are seeking. The problem with the body mounted designs if seriously abused/used in these heavyweights, eventually mounting points experience fatigue/failure within the sheet metal.
I shared the same concern with Randy. He mentioned only having to replace a rivet, maybe two, on his big suburban. He said he pretty much beats the crap out it, far more than any of us would probably do in our expensive rigs....well, me at least, for the time being. I haven't put them to the test, but I did put my hi-lift under and jack up the side. They are stout. I can post up a few pics tomorrow. As for me, they offer that piece of mind should shit go south on a trail, much like those with the WKs. I think only a few on here actually thrash their rigs, which I respect the hell out of :rockon:

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

scoutermike wrote:Thanks everyone for all your replies. Still undecided.......
Have you at least contacted WK to see what the build time is? WK is clearly the forum favorite here. Had I not taken a chance on a local AZ guy, I'd be rocking the WKs for sure!

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 am

If you dont want a step the RED sliders look right. I like the tucked in, nothing hanging lower, discreet look. It's funny to me to see the arguments and questions come up about frame mounted or rocker panel/pinch weld mounted. On Randy's slider page, he explains what I've always thought. I've seen many, many vehicles on shop lifts that were lifted by the pinch welds. They make adapters for floor jacks to fit pinch welds, that area is stout. if you can lift the truck with four points directly on the pinch weld that are less than 3" wide, the sliders Randy makes distributes that weight all the way across the entire side of the pinch weld. Less chance of frame damage also.

2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:17 am

You can add the step option on the REDs, which I did......and quickly added some skateboard deck tape. Price wise, after all was said and done, I was about as much into these as the WKs would have cost with shipping, maybe a hair more since I had Randy's shop do the install.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:32 am

I haven't seen the mounting pic before on the red sliders, those actually look pretty stout to me as well. The pinch weld/seam area is quite strong and if an impact were spread over its full length I can see that taking some pretty decent abuse. I like how low profile it is as well. All in all I'm still glad I went wk but looks like a really nice option :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Many of the rocker mounted units (steps, sliders) bolt to the back side of the rocker. This design puts all the force at a few points, which many see as a weakness. The RED version looks like it spreads the load over the entire rocker. Not a bad setup. I'd like to see a few guys beat em up a little and report back.

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Of all the body-mount sliders I've seen, Randy Ellis looks to have the best one. I would be concerned about drilling that many holes in the rockers with a design that looks like it would trap water and road salt/grime against all those holes. I think they'd be fine in the Southwest, but I'd be worried about my rockers turning to cheese in Alaska or any other place that gets real winter weather. On a completely subjective note, I don't like his sex-appeal marketing strategy. His home page has a scrolling banner showcasing models with bad double entendres about "bolt-ons" and "headlights". What do boobs have to do with rock sliders?
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

black_hawk8888
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by black_hawk8888 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:28 pm

At first glance it looks like the RED sliders might be able to accommodate the power AMP steps too which fold up under the truck and deploy when you open the doors. Wonder if anybody has done that...sturdy sliders with a fold out step would be a great combo.
2015 Power Wagon SLT
Stickers removed, Dual Alternators, Thuren PW coils and sway bar with Overland shocks, Magnaflow muffler, resonator deleted, tow mirrors, AMP Powersteps, Carli front diff guard, Husky X-Act mats, spray in bed liner, Undercover tonneau cover

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:59 pm

At more than double the cost of White Knuckle sliders...

WINCH MOB PROUD!