35" tires including spare in factory 2015

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Re: 35" tires including spare in factory 2015

Post by DamageWagon » Thu May 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Offset ball joints are only for bent axles. Carli does not make an offset BJ because that is fixing the problem the wrong way. If your axle is bent you need to bend it back and truss it or get a new axle.

If you have offset BJs on a newer truck, you need to check your axle angles. Stick a digital level on your axle and see what the angles are like.

Also, you said an alignment tech installed a ball joint? Was this a major service you had planned? Did you drop the truck off for a few days? That's not a small item like "I replaced the belt", that's a 3 hour job assuming you have a nice BJ press with Dodge cups.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu May 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Thurens website even mentions that balljoints being bad on new trucks is one of the scam items shops pull. Matter of fact, his story on his website, happened literally verbatim to my wife when she took our 1500 in for alignment. Guy showed her the joint with a large screw driver and showed her moving it up and down and claimed we had to replace it.

When in fact that's normal, side to side slope is what's bad.
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/ ... dling.html

I'm with Marcus, having ball joints installed on a newer truck, let alone something like offset joints, sounds really off. And hopefully you weren't just taken for a very expensive ride by a shop.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu May 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Hmmm this reminds me... both of the upper ball joints were a little wobbly at around 5000 miles on my truck. Not up and down, but side to side... as in the tire wobbles ever so slightly. I should check them again now that I have just over 10k miles.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Fri May 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I know on the previous model 4th Gen 2010 - 2013? a lot of diesel guys with larger tires have replaced the stock Ball Joints with Carli or a few other manufacturers. These trucks do have an issue with Camber as there is no adjustment. The ball joints do wear out, unfortunately the 37 and larger tires add to it. I think the current Gen ball Joints are better, but still have a service life. Carli is in Beta testing their replacement for the current gen ball joints. My Truck has a noticeable (to me anyway) lean on the driver front tire (top is out) more than passenger side, at rest and tires straight. Every shop I have had it to says it is within specs, so I am living with it and monitoring tire wear.

The one shop I trust, and did my alighnment, said that the 1 Degree ball joints are not a good Idea, so I didnt put in on mine. Carli hasn't said if theirs will have some adjustment in them, but it would be awesome if they did when they are available... in my opinion anyway.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Fri May 26, 2017 5:39 pm

If your tire leans OUT at the top, either you're looking at it wrong or you have an axle that needs to be swapped under warranty. Any wear to BJs causes the top of the tires to lean in, but even a totally blown to crap BJ has so little movement that you can't realistically see it in the tire.