Why a PW doesn't have a CTD option via RAM

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Sweet5ltr
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Why a PW doesn't have a CTD option via RAM

Post by Sweet5ltr » Thu May 26, 2016 8:30 am

https://youtu.be/zj_y85sq8us?t=1m38s

#1: modified winch-mounting in front of bumper caused failed crash testing
#2: additional weight over gasoline engine deprives traction in certain scenarios
#3: oil pan depth too low for proper vehicle articulation
#4: diesel power band decreases off road capability in sand and snow
#5: diesel option would only be possible without warn winch, further reducing capabilities
Last edited by Sweet5ltr on Thu May 26, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 PW - 285/75r17 Yokohama Geolander G015's

37's and some :cash: to Thuren when the warranty expires :patriot:

walc
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Why a PW doesn't have a CTD option via RAM

Post by walc » Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 am

^ Informative.
Thanks for posting.
2016 Power Wagon SLT

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Thu May 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Yeah but why? Why why why!?!?!?

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Thu May 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Weight deprives traction... Yet it's okay to run 65 pounds of air pressure in a truck designed to be taken off-road and marketed as such, with no possibility of modifying the TPMS preset. Brilliant. :doh:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:50 pm

the most probable reason for no diesel in PW (pre-production units were made by RAM with the diesel)
#6 : idiot public would destroy the drive train with diesel torque and lockers

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu May 26, 2016 3:25 pm

MSCH2112 wrote:the most probable reason for no diesel in PW (pre-production units were made by RAM with the diesel)

mike
We have a winner!!! I'd say this is the number one reason they didn't put the CTD in the Power Wagon. These are the same idiots that made it so we can't run our lockers in 4-Hi.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

djgaston

Post by djgaston » Thu May 26, 2016 4:18 pm

04Ram2500Hemi wrote:
MSCH2112 wrote:the most probable reason for no diesel in PW (pre-production units were made by RAM with the diesel)

mike
We have a winner!!! I'd say this is the number one reason they didn't put the CTD in the Power Wagon. These are the same idiots that made it so we can't run our lockers in 4-Hi.
Absolutely. The reasons in the video can be worked around pretty easily. But as Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

15pwag

Post by 15pwag » Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Got a buddy that has an '11 CTD and he's lookin for lockers for his truck. He's also one of those guys that had his truck programmed to the max. I told him good luck finding gears that'll take the torque. He just can't stand it that my PW has the off road capabilities it has.
2015 Laramie Power Wagon, Bright White--Weathertech floor mats, Back Rack with el cheapo spot light, DeeZee black tool box, custom fit rollup tonneau cover, black Ram running boards, Locker bypass

2011 Power Wagon (traded for the 2015)
1999 Trans Am Firehawk MN6
2001 S10 Blazer MN5

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Thu May 26, 2016 7:10 pm

djgaston wrote: Absolutely. The reasons in the video can be worked around pretty easily. But as Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.
So many stupid people that bent the frame jumping their Raptor's that the 2017 Raptor now has a special frame that is re-enforced unlike the regular F-150. So I could only imagine how many blown up axles and drive trains Ram would be replacing.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Thu May 26, 2016 7:28 pm

MikeKey wrote:
djgaston wrote: Absolutely. The reasons in the video can be worked around pretty easily. But as Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.
So many stupid people that bent the frame jumping their Raptor's that the 2017 Raptor now has a special frame that is re-enforced unlike the regular F-150. So I could only imagine how many blown up axles and drive trains Ram would be replacing.
Ram needs to strengthen the PW axles.. hahaha
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

MoparToYou
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by MoparToYou » Thu May 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Does anyone know if the front axle for a Ram 3500 CTD/Aisin is the same as the front axle for a Ram 2500 Power Wagon? It seems like the front axle for the 2500 Power Wagon is a bit on the "marginal" side in regards to strength. Put that axle in a truck with 900 ft lbs of torque instead of 430 ft lbs of torque, and you're going to definitely be pushing its limits, especially with the added weight of the CTD.

I may very well find out how strong that axle is. People that have been following my post know I am trading my '16 Power Wagon for a '16 3500 CTD/Aisin with an AEV Prospector package. I plan to add an ARB air locker up front and keep the rear limited slip differential stock, and use an ARB twin air compressor for the air supply for the locker and for airing up tires. After reading about Will's front axle I am wondering if I should also add a front axle truss right from the start. I spend a lot of time off road. I'm not a speed demon in the truck, even though I've spent 40 years desert racing other vehicle classes.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab; CTD, Aisin, 4.10, AEV Prospector

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu May 26, 2016 11:10 pm

MoparToYou wrote:Does anyone know if the front axle for a Ram 3500 CTD/Aisin is the same as the front axle for a Ram 2500 Power Wagon? It seems like the front axle for the 2500 Power Wagon is a bit on the "marginal" side in regards to strength. Put that axle in a truck with 900 ft lbs of torque instead of 430 ft lbs of torque, and you're going to definitely be pushing its limits, especially with the added weight of the CTD.

I may very well find out how strong that axle is. People that have been following my post know I am trading my '16 Power Wagon for a '16 3500 CTD/Aisin with an AEV Prospector package. I plan to add an ARB air locker up front and keep the rear limited slip differential stock, and use an ARB twin air compressor for the air supply for the locker and for airing up tires. After reading about Will's front axle I am wondering if I should also add a front axle truss right from the start. I spend a lot of time off road. I'm not a speed demon in the truck, even though I've spent 40 years desert racing other vehicle classes.
I don't know anything abut the axels, but I hope you stick around and do a build thread on the new AEV Ram. I love the few components I have so far from AEV, and it would be cool to get non biased reviews from somebody who had a Power Wagon.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Thu May 26, 2016 11:37 pm

Weight deprives traction...
Not exactly. Weight increases traction, but it changes the weight distribution of the truck and puts more on the front and less on the rear (leverage). A PW with a diesel would not be as good in sand, mud, snow because all that weight would cause the front end to sink faster, especially in sand and mud. Not a good thing for the PW target market.

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 am

I think the power wagon has more than 430 ftlbs at the tires when offroad in 4 lo. It has a good surplus of torque even with 37"s, locked going up the side of a mountain pulling a disabled Jeep or Range Rover. Tires seem to be the limiting factor. There is usually limited tire friction so tires are slipping and giving in to the torque even with awesome flex. The slick rock of Moab, which isn't slick, might be the exception. And I don't think the Cummins would be as good as the hemi due to weight distribution, dimensions and slower throttle response. I have yet to see any diesel make it through any kind of challenging trail that my power wagon goes on with 37"s. I am sure it can be done but I think most of the diesel guys are interested in looking cool and torque, not being functional on the trail. Even if this guy gets lockers front and rear it most likely would not flex like a power wagon either and he'll need to be really smart bumping and handling throttle on obstacles. Now I will admit that the cummins 3500 would be easier to set up for the sand dunes of Pismo Beach in California. In that situation the 3500 can fit bigger tires for more flotation (because it doesn't flex) and the Cummins will have more of a nice even acceleration (less likely to dig into sand) and possibly some types of mud where flotation is important and a flat bottom is available. Mud holes here in NC don't stay flat and are high in sticky clay. I did run into 6 guys in an F350 on 42"'s and no lockers and an f250 with lockers and 38"s both were powerstrokes. Both were paralyzed by their stiff suspensions at Uwharrie Nat'l park on easy trails in the rain and mud. They wanted no help from me so I waited until they got onto a bypass. They kept telling my wife and I that we wouldn't make it through a heavily rutted area that was much deeper on one side and filled with red muddy clay. They of course told us their trucks' stats and compared them to my power wagon on 37"s and my wifes little TJ on 35"s. By the time we got to go, my wife was pretty pissed, drove through got out of her jeep and told them off. Don't remember what she said but the 2 drivers were looking down in shame and the others were screaming and laughing but still saying the dodge still hasn't made it. They got pretty quiet after a few curse words as I passed by. Point is that dodge figured out a lot of the physics for trail riding. They may have screwed up on the steering but I think they've got it right sticking with a V8 gas. I do think a power wagon could be made with the Cummins but I would want the front axle out further to give some space and offset that anchor/diesel pulling you over when dropping off a 3' ledge. The power wagon is the best pickup platform to start as an offroad rig. Slap 35"s on it and do some insane stuff with it. there's no truck like it....yet.

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Fri May 27, 2016 1:19 am

Ducky's Dad wrote:
Not exactly. Weight increases traction, but it changes the weight distribution of the truck and puts more on the front and less on the rear (leverage). A PW with a diesel would not be as good in sand, mud, snow because all that weight would cause the front end to sink faster, especially in sand and mud. Not a good thing for the PW target market.
Quoted from the list, I'm well aware of weight distribution in regards to traction and vehicle dynamics. Which is why it bothers me that Ram decided to mandate 65 PSI in an unloaded truck. The fronts with the weight of the motor are fine, but the rears are overinflated and should be closer to 45-50 if they're really concerned about maintaining traction.
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Fri May 27, 2016 3:48 am

Chromolykid wrote:
Ducky's Dad wrote:
Quoted from the list, I'm well aware of weight distribution in regards to traction and vehicle dynamics. Which is why it bothers me that Ram decided to mandate 65 PSI in an unloaded truck. The fronts with the weight of the motor are fine, but the rears are overinflated and should be closer to 45-50 if they're really concerned about maintaining traction.
The tires are always rock hard in all their media day, "come see how tough the new PW is" videos. The lawyers must have them pretty scared.
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

NickTF
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by NickTF » Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 am

Long story short I would not trade my current 2015 power wagon with locker bypass as the only modification for my previous 97 2500 std cab 12v cummins with around 650hp, 35" ss-m16 tires which were excellent offroad (not so much on the road due to 27oz on some sides to balance), front lock rite, and factory rear posi (4.10 geared) with no limited slip additive. That truck was way too off/on in regards to the throttle and the weight over the nose was always noticeable. Personally I think they got it right and with all the emissions failures and super expensive parts of today's super high pressure injected diesels I don't know why anyone is so worried about the option. Just my two cents.

walc
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by walc » Fri May 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Low_Sky wrote:The tires are always rock hard in all their media day, "come see how tough the new PW is" videos. The lawyers must have them pretty scared.

Perhaps, the reviewers are just showing how a PW performs in a completely stock/oem configuration, rather than how an experienced off-roader might air-down?
I think the review shows PW's in a very favorable light.
2016 Power Wagon SLT

loveracing1988
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by loveracing1988 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:26 pm

MoparToYou wrote:Does anyone know if the front axle for a Ram 3500 CTD/Aisin is the same as the front axle for a Ram 2500 Power Wagon? It seems like the front axle for the 2500 Power Wagon is a bit on the "marginal" side in regards to strength. Put that axle in a truck with 900 ft lbs of torque instead of 430 ft lbs of torque, and you're going to definitely be pushing its limits, especially with the added weight of the CTD.

Other than the locker plug they are identical.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:08 pm

whitey wrote:I think the power wagon has more than 430 ftlbs at the tires when offroad in 4 lo. It has a good surplus of torque even with 37"s, locked going up the side of a mountain pulling a disabled Jeep or Range Rover. Tires seem to be the limiting factor. There is usually limited tire friction so tires are slipping and giving in to the torque even with awesome flex. The slick rock of Moab, which isn't slick, might be the exception. And I don't think the Cummins would be as good as the hemi due to weight distribution, dimensions and slower throttle response. I have yet to see any diesel make it through any kind of challenging trail that my power wagon goes on with 37"s. I am sure it can be done but I think most of the diesel guys are interested in looking cool and torque, not being functional on the trail. Even if this guy gets lockers front and rear it most likely would not flex like a power wagon either and he'll need to be really smart bumping and handling throttle on obstacles. Now I will admit that the cummins 3500 would be easier to set up for the sand dunes of Pismo Beach in California. In that situation the 3500 can fit bigger tires for more flotation (because it doesn't flex) and the Cummins will have more of a nice even acceleration (less likely to dig into sand) and possibly some types of mud where flotation is important and a flat bottom is available. Mud holes here in NC don't stay flat and are high in sticky clay. I did run into 6 guys in an F350 on 42"'s and no lockers and an f250 with lockers and 38"s both were powerstrokes. Both were paralyzed by their stiff suspensions at Uwharrie Nat'l park on easy trails in the rain and mud. They wanted no help from me so I waited until they got onto a bypass. They kept telling my wife and I that we wouldn't make it through a heavily rutted area that was much deeper on one side and filled with red muddy clay. They of course told us their trucks' stats and compared them to my power wagon on 37"s and my wifes little TJ on 35"s. By the time we got to go, my wife was pretty pissed, drove through got out of her jeep and told them off. Don't remember what she said but the 2 drivers were looking down in shame and the others were screaming and laughing but still saying the dodge still hasn't made it. They got pretty quiet after a few curse words as I passed by. Point is that dodge figured out a lot of the physics for trail riding. They may have screwed up on the steering but I think they've got it right sticking with a V8 gas. I do think a power wagon could be made with the Cummins but I would want the front axle out further to give some space and offset that anchor/diesel pulling you over when dropping off a 3' ledge. The power wagon is the best pickup platform to start as an offroad rig. Slap 35"s on it and do some insane stuff with it. there's no truck like it....yet.
I'm up for that challenge. Weight you may have the edge but I know the axles can take what I throw at em. Don't lump me in with those pussy strokers and the pretty show offs
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat May 28, 2016 9:12 am

nts007 wrote:

Don't lump me in with those pussy strokers and the pretty show offs
Yeah right your just one of those typical flat billin' soot throwing cummins kids, arent ya?! Probly have semi stacks comming through your box next to your cab :lol:

Just kidding, i know better than that!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:28 am

olyelr wrote:
nts007 wrote:

Don't lump me in with those pussy strokers and the pretty show offs
Yeah right your just one of those typical flat billin' soot throwing cummins kids, arent ya?! Probly have semi stacks comming through your box next to your cab :lol:

Just kidding, i know better than that!
Aaaggg you caught me. They keep hitting low bridges when I go under. Mounted n spring bases now. :lol: :lol:
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sat May 28, 2016 3:43 pm

I knew it!!! Lol
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sat May 28, 2016 3:49 pm

I would have to have flappers on mine if I had stacks...
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Sat May 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Rollin'coal.
phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded: