exhaust

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

exhaust

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm uploading a startup video to YouTube as I type, I'll share it here soon as it's done. Mine has a 5x8x18 muffler on it now, still running the stock resonator.

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Re: exhaust

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:46 pm

There is a break in on the muffler it seems. Also the resonator on that 22 inch probably isn't doing you any favors. It's probably close to stock right now with just a different note.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

exhaust

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:21 pm

First YouTube video I've uploaded... let's see if this works.

https://youtu.be/R8q8lO9-WDg

It's a little deceiving, it's a bit more aggressive and louder in person. Mild drone cruising at 65, not annoying but it's there. Sounds badass on acceleration, gotten a couple other Hemi guys asking about the setup either in traffic or at a red light.

Sounds great, but down the road I plan switch to a larger 22" and ditch the resonator. What I really want is more of a "stock +1" In addition, I'm honestly not crazy about how mine was installed, it's a 3" in/out so they sleeved it to the oem 3.5" tube. It's "ok" but doesn't sit well with my OCD.

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:33 pm

MikeKey wrote:There is a break in on the muffler it seems. Also the resonator on that 22 inch probably isn't doing you any favors. It's probably close to stock right now with just a different note.
Its definitely louder than stock, but not much. The resonator on the 5.7L isn't as big as the dingleberry on the 6.4L, and honestly, it didn't make any difference in volume or tone with the tailpipe hooked up rather than disconnected. The only difference was in cab noise, and since I don't want a ton of noise in the cab, I hooked it back up. If the tailpipe ever rusts out, I'll get rid of it, otherwise I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Vid sounds good. Looks like that's what I should have gone with to start with. Probably wouldn't be hard to swap it out for that, but I'll let this one break in a bit first. Be interested to see what that sounds like after break in as well.

I'd trade with you Yellow, but mine's the 3" as well, so you'd still have the same issue...

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:First YouTube video I've uploaded... let's see if this works.

https://youtu.be/R8q8lO9-WDg

It's a little deceiving, it's a bit more aggressive and louder in person. Mild drone cruising at 65, not annoying but it's there. Sounds badass on acceleration, gotten a couple other Hemi guys asking about the setup either in traffic or at a red light.

Sounds great, but down the road I plan switch to a larger 22" and ditch the resonator. What I really want is more of a "stock +1" In addition, I'm honestly not crazy about how mine was installed, it's a 3" in/out so they sleeved it to the oem 3.5" tube. It's "ok" but doesn't sit well with my OCD.
How'd you get your exhaust to sound like a mockingbird? That's cool!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks! Here's a close up, pretty trick custom job... Image
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG (9.32 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Haha is that the 'oakland style' exhaust whistle? Rofl

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Hahahah wake up the neighborhood goin' "wooo WOOOO!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drdfblackm
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by drdfblackm » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Bub Rub and Lil' Sis

https://youtu.be/Nnzw_i4YmKk

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 am

Well... Put the muffler on, and what do you know, Saturday night I go to drop the jet ski in at the slip, and I hear an exhaust leak at the manifold... Thinking a couple of broken studs on the passenger side.

Anyone replaced there's? I'm not too worried about getting the manifold off (praying I don't break any more bolts off), but getting the busted studs out if they're flush with the heads can be a major PITA. Of course, they always break there... And, if anyone has done it before, what did you replace the old bolts with? Anyone tried some JBA Shorty headers? Do they match up with the factory Y pipe? I'm going to pull the manifold(s), if one or both of them are warped, I'm going to be without a vehicle the next day while the manifolds get decked flat, so the JBA's might be worth it for the slight power boost, better sound, and use of my truck the next day. Just don't want to get them, stick them in, and find out the y-pipe doesn't fit...

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 am

Don't know about the jba's but I've had to do several broken exhaust studs on these trucks, a right angle drill easy outs and kroil will make your life exponentially easier. For putting stock manifolds back on stock hardware is the way to go, mopar has slightly updated it to hold up better. Do not attempt to use srt exhaust hardware for stock manifolds. If you're really ambitious stage8 fasteners makes locking exhaust hardware that is head and shoulders above anything else. Runs about $60. Totally worth it for headers, not sure I'd bother for stockers though.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-MOPAR-Head ... B000QDX8LE
Attachments
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG (28.99 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

13BlkPowerWagon wrote:Well... Put the muffler on, and what do you know, Saturday night I go to drop the jet ski in at the slip, and I hear an exhaust leak at the manifold... Thinking a couple of broken studs on the passenger side.

Anyone replaced there's? I'm not too worried about getting the manifold off (praying I don't break any more bolts off), but getting the busted studs out if they're flush with the heads can be a major PITA. Of course, they always break there... And, if anyone has done it before, what did you replace the old bolts with? Anyone tried some JBA Shorty headers? Do they match up with the factory Y pipe? I'm going to pull the manifold(s), if one or both of them are warped, I'm going to be without a vehicle the next day while the manifolds get decked flat, so the JBA's might be worth it for the slight power boost, better sound, and use of my truck the next day. Just don't want to get them, stick them in, and find out the y-pipe doesn't fit...
Those dang bolts are an issue on the 5.7. Looks like it's not just the 1500's that suffered from it. We had the same problem happen. Bolt heads just rusted and popped off. Had to be removed from block, had new ones installed. Lots of 1500 guys on Ram forum running those shorties. You should be good to go.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm

I did it on my '05. I was lucky- I used a reverse twist drill bit in a right angle drill and the snapped off pieces literally walked out when the bit dug in.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

13BlkPowerWagon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 13BlkPowerWagon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Lets hope I'm so lucky!

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm

So I was forced to cut off the dingleberry resonator Friday night... Truth be told, I was waiting for an excuse to justify taking a sawzall to it, and I got that excuse when I went to remove the factory track bar bolt. Well, I should have been able to loosen the clamp, and rotate it down which would've let the bolt slide on out, NOPE. When the shop installed my magnaflow, he rotated the resonator up a bit for a tad more clearance. What I didn't realize is that he also welded around the joint so it was stuck in place - sawzall to the rescue!

HOLY $#!+! This thing is LOUD! Parked in the driveway, tone is a good bit deeper, and a little bit louder, no big deal. Under load is a whole different story, LOUD and some noticeable drone. I'll admit, it sounds pretty badass, but I am definitely going to either reinstall the OEM resonator or see about having maybe a magnaflow resonator welded in similar to the MF 19200 kit to make it tolerable again for long drives.

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 pm

I had the EXACT same problem since I once removed my resonator then had it re-welded further towards the bumper for looks/clearance. Removing the upper trackbar bolt is impossible if you readjust the resonator. It hangs down so low like that in the stock location for clearance.

I took a ratchet strap to the tailpipe and pulled the resonator out enough to get the trackbar bolt in and out without having to remove it.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am

I had a larger 22" Magnaflow put on, and I'm much happier. Truck doesn't give me a headache anymore, still sounds aggressive, but not annoying. I'm going to drive it a while, see how I feel about it after a long trip and then decide whether or not to add a small resonator similar to the MF19200 kit.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 am

yellowranger1 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 am
I had a larger 22" Magnaflow put on, and I'm much happier. Truck doesn't give me a headache anymore, still sounds aggressive, but not annoying. I'm going to drive it a while, see how I feel about it after a long trip and then decide whether or not to add a small resonator similar to the MF19200 kit.
I have the MF19200 kit. It was too loud for me. I had the resonator changed out from 6 to 7 (same brand same muffler different size body) inch body and I put a Twister between the y-pipe and the first muffler. Sounds amazing now. Not loud, no drone, good low rumble, and roars OUTSIDE when you go WOT.
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.