Valve Cover Gasket Leak

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Valve Cover Gasket Leak

Post by Throttle 8 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I have been trying for a month to track down a smell I was getting from my truck after I would drive it for a few miles. It was driving me nuts. I literally spent hours going over and under the truck looking for anything out of the ordinary. Turns out the drivers side valve cover has developed a leak right by the firewall. A little oil is escaping and dripping onto the exhaust manifold/collector. It is going in to be fixed on Monday. The dealership says that they have hardly ever seen this on the Hemi.
Has anyone on here had this happen to them or heard of it? If not, I figured I would post it up to keep someone else from having to crawl around and under their truck like a fool in the snow. :doh:
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

TrueCowboy426
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: Valve Cover Gasket Leak

Post by TrueCowboy426 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Yep, I've had that on my passenger valve cover and it was just the seal weathered and cracked. Mine was bad enough that when I would stop for fuel at a gas station there would be a pretty good amount of smoke coming out of the grill and wheel wells, and people would always tell me that my truck was burning. I knew what it was so I wasn't concerned, but it was pretty embarassing.
It's certainly not very common, but does happen. I do like the 0-ring type gasket on the Hemi, compared to the old school flat cork or rubber gaskets.
2007 Dodge Power Wagon - Inferno Red Quad Cab, G56, KRC 210X cam, SRT8 JGC seats, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Offroad lights behind the grill, Warn wireless winch remote, Carli front Diff Guard, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, On board air complete w/ train horns, homemade hidden gooseneck hitch, Homemade locker bypass, upgraded Mopar steering box, Centerforce clutch
1998 Dodge 2500 Laramie, QCSB 4x4. 24V cummins, completely rebuilt chassis with '01 1500 body installed, full gauges, Edge drag comp box, +150hp injectors, performance 47re built by me, 35" Toyo MTs on 3rd gen wheels.
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L Bright Silver, HO Cams, 12,000 lbs Winch mounted behind bumper, 4.56's, 2500 factory tow hooks, 35x12.50 Toyo MT's, Air-Lift Ride Control bags, homemade hidden ball gooseneck hitch.
1987 W100 - carburated 5.7 Hemi/727 combo, 35" Toyo MT's. Ramcharger D44 w/ warn hubs, Warlock seats, 2nd gen center console
1987 Dakota - RCSB, 413 big block, LT headers.
And a few jeeps for good measure.

Throttle 8
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by Throttle 8 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Man, I wish I'd posted my problem before crawling around and under the truck for an hour in the snow at -20C. lol! :cheers:
2007PW, black, quad cab, G56 6spd, heated leather, sunroof, dual zone climate, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (315/70/17), Locker Bypass, TPS Bypass, Lund tonneau, Maple Offroad sliders, wheel wheel liners, K&N filter, bedliner, PIAA headlights, PIAA foglights, 24" LED lightbar behind grill, Carli Diff guard, Dodge Off Road steering brace, Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli Trac Bar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Carli ball joints, updated "T" style linkage, Odyssy battery, recovery gear, Studded Goodyear Duratrack 315/70/17 for winter

MY OTHER VEHICLE IS A LOCOMOTIVE

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Dealers always say "Nope, never heard of that before".

Mine said they never heard of axle failures on dodge trucks either--------yet when you google that-----you get 436,000 hits in 0.4 seconds !!! :lol: