Looking at a 16

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
kllrbee

Looking at a 16

Post by kllrbee » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Hey all,
First post...will do some searching in a little bit, but just wanted to throw this post in first.

Im in awe of the look of this truck...haha. And Im pretty sure from what Ive seen in vids that I would be in awe of it off road as well.
I took it for a test drive and was really surprised at how well it handled on road too.
That's pretty much my question....or dilemma. I obviously cant afford to spend 50k on something that will ONLY be an off road "toy".
So this MUST be my DD as well.

And to be perfectly honest, it will be On road probly 95% of the time. That's just the way it is.

So...with that said, how many of you guys use your PW as your DD?
Are you satisfied with that decision?

FWIW, Im not really referring to MPGs either. I don't really give a crap about that as long as I see 10.
I drive an 06 Jeep Rubicon with 4.10s and 35s now....I only get 12 with that....and its probly half the size and weight of the PW. Awesome for off roading in tight spaces though.

Also, I don't do much city driving. I live along mostly rural roads (45-55mph) with towns spaced out about 10 miles from each other.
So its not like hauling a huge truck through a downtown urban area....I wouldn't even consider it if that was the case.

Thnx for your input.

Maybe shortly here, Ill be part of your club...lol.

huntinguy
Model Year: 2014

Re: Looking at a 16

Post by huntinguy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 pm

I dd my 14 and love it. Rides better than a regular 2500 and it handles any load I need it to. Average 12 mpg and I drive in town and back roads mostly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
2014 Powerwagon. Stock for now.
1989 Dodge W-250 Cummins. 4" lift, 35's, crossover steering, power mods.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:44 pm

kllrbee wrote: Maybe shortly here, Ill be part of your club...lol.
Hey, you dont have to have a power wagon to be part of the club. They aint kicked me out yet!

I think the truck will work out just fine for you as a DD, especially if your already expecting to get poor MPG. Thats about the only downfall I can find with the truck for my intended use... even though I dont have one!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 am

I DD my '15 and don't really have any regrets about it. Driving around big cities it can be a little annoying, U-turns and parking lots and such; but all the annoyance goes away when the coast is clear and you get to take as much room to whip a U-ey as you want. What sidewalks and medians?
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Chromolykid
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Chromolykid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 am

I daily my '16 and love it. Only issue is wide turning radius as mentioned above. Parking is no biggie if you get the parksense and backup camera, makes the big nose much more manageable. I average 13mpg, but my record for a 30-mile trip is 20 (good tailwind and no red lights). It drives like a locomotive, once you get moving you don't wanna stop. Surprisingly smooth and capable off-road (at least in the dirt, have not driven snow yet). Read the manual, learn how the system works and how to disable TCS when you need to and I think you'll be impressed. Truck is worth every penny if you ask me but there are of course those Ford cRaptor guys who think otherwise :doh:
“Furiosa”
2016 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Sliders
Walker Evans Wheels in 35” BFG KM3’s
DOR Steering Brace
Thuren Stage 1 KING 2.5’s
Thuren Coils Front & Rear
Thuren Track Bars Front & Rear
Thuren King Steering Stabilizer
Dethloff Swaybar Spacers
Thuren Swaybar Links Front & Rear
AEV Procal
Carli Front Diff Guard/Purple Cranium Half Spider Rear
Putco LED Headlights & Foglights
Custom Fender Flares and Grill

waldo
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2019

Post by waldo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:00 am

I've driven nothing but these trucks since they came out in 2005. Really no different than driving any other full size truck on the road. Pretty painful when gas was $4 a gallon though. On my third one, (still have two of them).
2007 and 2019 Power Wagons

kllrbee

Post by kllrbee » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Ive heard people complain about the newer technology.
Whats that all about?
Keep in mind, I know nothing about new technology as I have an 06 wrangler.

kllrbee

Post by kllrbee » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 pm

So whats all the complaints about the newer technology?
Keep in mind...I have an 06 wrangler...so know nothing about technology.

Low_Sky
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2015

Post by Low_Sky » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Modern vehicles have antilock brakes, traction control, stability control, and other electronic systems that make them safer to drive on roads, and to protect the vehicle's systems from damage. These systems are largely incompatible with off road driving and some people don't like the process or extent to which these systems can be turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Alaska
2015 PW on 2.5" Thuren Kings
My build thread

Graveltravels
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Graveltravels » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 am

I daily drove mine until I got a grand Cherokee SRT 8. Love it. It's a 15 Laramie, and drives and handles like it's much smaller. Tons of power, will cruise the hiway a at any speed you want, handles great in shitty conditions. All in all, I really like this beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk