Finally Buying a PW

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
TheWorstKind
Model Year: 2015

Finally Buying a PW

Post by TheWorstKind » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi Folks, I am finally buying a Power Wagon. I am so excited; kinda' like a little kid fixin' to get the best present EVER!!!!!

I am leaving (have left is perhaps more apt) the world of adventure motorcycling. First I thought about a Wrangler, then I became aware of the PW. Much flip-flopping (and much genuine agonizing) ensued. And I mean MUCH. This past spring (2015), I thought I had made a decision - let's go with the PW. Well, then I experienced a significant health issue - brain cancer. Thanks to God Almighty I am healed, cancer free, and raring to continue to explore His beautiful creation off the beaten path. Of course, shortly after having to surrender a portion of my brain to the surgeon's knife, I had to suffer through the entire Wrangler/PW flip-flop again. Thanks to my wonderful bride (and a literal lack of brains!) I decided on the PW. So, to make a long story short, this coming Monday, I am driving from Virginia Beach (my home) to Lititz, PA to pick up a brand new 2015 Granite Laramie PW!

I am looking forward to sharing my PW adventures and experiences with you fine folks, as well as gleaning many insights and opinions about these capable machines from you.

So, without any further ado, let me get to some questions/thoughts/stuff:

I want sliders. I think I want White Knuckle sliders. Good Choice?

I want a cap. I love truck camping, but do not want a camper shell. Any caps that stand out? Would like some window openings (with screens) for some ventilation. No leaks, too!

I want bigger and better (the latter being very subjective) tires. I like Cooper tires, and I am currently eye-balling the 315/70-17 (35s) Discoverer S/T Maxx. My requirements for the tires are: good street ride, low road noise, good grip in the wet, good grip in wet snow (I think I am still smart enough to stay at home when the streets are icy, but I have fantasies of maybe helping the less fortunate ones during wintry weather, including volunteering to drive hospital staff to and from work during severe weather), better than A/T performance when off-road (including stronger sidewalls than the stock Duratracs), and, of course the tires ought to look the part of being the boots of choice on an unstoppable, all conquering Power Wagon! Any first hand experience, or thoughts, on the S/T Maxx, or the A/T3? The S/T Maxx also is available in 37s, but I am not certain I understand, or know, all the pre-requisites to properly run 37s on the 14/15 model year.

Is it really true the spare is limited to 33s in the stock storage location? Can this be rectified? Not looking to surrender space in the bed.

Who makes good seat covers? I think I want covers for when I am travelling off-road and getting dirty.

Also, WeatherTech floor liners - are there better ones?

Considering lifetime MaxCare warranty. I will have this truck for a long time. At least ten years. Any input? Real life experience with MaxCare?

Is there any armor required for underneath?

Intended use is daily pick-up type driving with an annual extended off-road adventure (expedition style). No hard core rock climbing.

If anything I have put out is ridiculous, well, I have an excuse! :lol:
2015 PW Laramie in Granite

Current Mods: Weathertech Digital Floor Liners, Opti-Coat Pro, 35 inch Duratracs, ARE Cap, full Bed Rug, shock for tailgate.

Wish List: White Knuckle Sliders, maybe 37s.

Jesus Christ is God's son.

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Re: Finally Buying a PW

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:17 am

First off- Amen on being cancer free. Sounds to me like the man upstairs wasn't ready for you to come home yet!

-I agree with White Nuckle Sliders. Had those been available when I had mine built, I would have gone that route too.

-I don't have a cap on my truck, so I'm no help there.

-I'm a big fan of the Toyo A/T II's myself, but I'm sure others will chime in.

-I think on 2014 and up Power Wagons a 33" is the biggest spare you can fit, so you may have to give that some thought if you go with a bigger tire.

-I really like my Husky Floor Liners: https://www.huskyliners.com/Classic-Style-Floor-Mats

My truck is my daily driver/weekend warrior, so I understand wanting to be careful with mods, and do it right the first time. For the most part, my build has been pretty tame. I think I'm about done for now, but I've said that before. When you get your truck, make sure to post some pictures!
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Welcome, and glad you could.stay with us for a while! I am in Lancaster right near Lititz, but I am going back home tomorrow. Too bad you won't be here earlier.
White Knuckle is a good choice. I have them on my '05 and they rock! I have abused them a little and they really shine in the rocky stuff. The mounts are quite solid on the frame. No worries about dropping the truck down on them. Mine were a little over 90# each! Oh, and my truck is on their website!
I have Toyo MTs now. I will be looking at Toyo RTs next.
I have found a cap that I can pick up for a little more than a song. It's new, at a dealer. It was misordered last spring and has been sitting there since. I will get it simply because I need more weathertight space, and I am tired of climbing under my tonneau cover. It is cab high. I'm torn because I like the way the truck looks as is, but I think practicality will win. TwinStick just added a raised roof cap to his PW and seems to like it alot.

I like my Weathertech floor liners. I have heard good things about Husky.

There is alot of protection underneath. There are one or two vulnerable spots, but I haven't had any issues.

Keep us posted!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Congratulations on beating cancer and on the PW choice. Your list of mods will increase as you get to know the truck, so be prepared for that. I don't have sliders on my truck, used N-Fab drop step nerfs instead and they are holding up well. Sliders are nice but probably not necessary for the way it sounds like you will be using your truck; slider money might be better spent on other things. Re tires, I have had 35" Toyo MTs and AT-IIs on mine, like them both, but sounds like you should consider the Toyo RTs to split the difference between the two patterns. Floor mats: I have molded carpeted mats with a rubber base that I love, in two of my trucks. Third truck has a set of the new molded rubber mats from Line-X that mimic the WeatherTech and Husky mats, because I got a good introductory deal on the Line-X mats last year. I prefer the molded carpet mats, will get the brand for you later. Speaking of Line-X, I really like the spray-in bed liners, even with a cover over the bed. Had a drop-in PendaLiner in the PW and threw it away in favor of the spray-in. Re bed cap, I have Snug-Top on all three trucks and like them. Two of the trucks have rack systems mounted to the fiberglass shells and they have carried a surprising amount of weight when required. The best brands in fiberglass shells seem to be SnugTop, LEER and maybe ARE, lots of options with all three. You probably don't need to armor the underside of the truck for your use, but that could change. Seat covers: I have Cordura on the old truck and they have been used hard for close to 18 years, no rips or tears but look like hell, can't bust them. The PW is on its second set of Wet Okoles, they look great and are very comfortable but don't hold up well under hard use. The middle truck (Tundra) got a set of Cordura covers from http://www.currentcamo.com, full custom with lots of options (basically whatever you want, as long as it's physically possible); talk with Ron Partain at CurrentCamo. Costco also offers custom Cordura covers at pretty reasonable prices, but not with all the options that Ron offers.
Here's an old pic of my '05 with the SnugTop shell and 35" Toyo MTs on factory wheels. Shell has sliding windows and screens.
Attachments
Vivitar Dump 100109 057.jpg

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks for the responses. Not having been a car/truck enthusiast in the past, I am still very much in the learning mode. Looking forward to the trip tomorrow. Additionally, my best friend is visiting from Germany, and him and his wife are going up with my wife and me - we have been friends for over fifty years now! The PW's first official trip will be to the Flight 93 Memorial on Tuesday. I will never forget that day. Was still active duty Navy, then. Too old and broken now to fight. I certainly hope, though, I would display the courage of the pax on that flight, if needed :patriot: .

I like the current camo covers with the molle on the back - I still have lot of stuff to fit those! Don't think my Sweetie will let me go for the camo look, though, even if it will be just for one month of the year. Good thing they make solid black, as well.

Had not known about the SnugTop brand (at least I cannot remember :oops: ). Looks like I need to take a good look at that.

I am not surprised that the Toyos quickly came to the forefront. Again, time to broaden my horizon.

For sure there will be more mods coming. I must say, though, this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought, and, probably, ever will! With that in mind, I must certainly perform due diligence prior to mods, so participating in this forum should prove to be most valuable.

Again, thanks for the responses, and please keep them coming!

Current Mods: Weathertech Digital Floor Liners, Opti-Coat Pro, 35 inch Duratracs, ARE Cap, full Bed Rug, shock for tailgate.

stubiePW
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by stubiePW » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:49 pm

First of all welcome. Not much info except tires. I have a 2012 with 37" Toyo r/ts. I like them. Low noise on road. Haven't done any off roading. I get a little rub on the sway bar. Might be different with yours

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Yeah, I'd like 37s. Let me get the truck first, then it'll be easier to figure out what needs to happen to maybe probably perhaps possibly go to 37s. Too excited right now to make rational decisions. Heck, I challenge myself that buying the Laramie version of this truck is rational, but, hey, my wife wanted the luxuries of the Laramie. Who am I to argue? I have made significantly more difficult "sacrifices" in the past!

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:46 pm

I like the current camo covers with the molle on the back - I still have lot of stuff to fit those! Don't think my Sweetie will let me go for the camo look, though, even if it will be just for one month of the year. Good thing they make solid black, as well.
Part of the "custom" aspect of the CurrentCamo covers is that Ron has or can get different weights and colors of Cordura and Cordura knockoffs, in addition to what is shown on his website. When I ordered my covers, I wanted the Cordura to be as close as possible to the factory upholstery color in a 2008 Tundra, and he sent me about six fabric samples in shades of gray and in different weights. Very good guy to work with, even when I asked for things he had not done before, like sewn pockets in odd places for sunglasses, flashlights, cell phone stuff, etc. I strongly recommend the velcro-removable pistol pouches on the front seat cushions, even if you don't plan to carry a sidearm. Perfect place to stash all your chargers and headsets and phone stuff, or you can order it big enough to hold your iPad, and then it can just go with you when you park the truck. Forget about the "one month a year" stuff, because installing custom covers is a chore and once you have them on, you'll want to just leave them there until they need a thorough cleaning, then just throw them into the washing machine.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:19 pm

These are the floor mats that I prefer, Catch-All, now part of Lund. These are stiff molded rubber mats with a carpet face, so they look good but don't let liquids leak through to the factory carpets. I have had a set in the old truck for almost 18 years and I still prefer them to anything else I could get today. Also have them in the PW and in my wife's car. They are available for front and rear, and there is also a center hump piece available if your console does not cover the hump. When they get dirty, just hose them off like rubber mats. The Catch-All Extreme are all rubber (I think).

http://www.lundinternational.com/produc ... rpet+front

AllanDickerson
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by AllanDickerson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:22 pm

2nd Lund. Mine is 1 piece front and back and it goes an inch under the dash the figment is perfect. It. Has a hole for the shifter. 05 wagon

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Got a late start leaving the Beach, had bad weather for most of the way up, and sat in traffic on I-81, so I did not make it to the dealership in Lititz in time to complete the transaction. I am, however, in Lancaster, only about twenty minutes away from my new ride! Saw a horse drawn carriage in major traffic - wow.

Again, thanks for all the tips - I have so much to (re-) learn. I hope I don't wear you guys out. I promise I will provide objective feedback on the things I learn irt the mighty PW!

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello TheWorstKind, welcome and congrats on the new PW!

Here's my answers/input to your questions.

I want sliders. I think I want White Knuckle sliders. Good Choice? - Yes, these are very important on a truck this long get the best sliders you can afford.

I want a cap. I love truck camping, but do not want a camper shell. Any caps that stand out? Would like some window openings (with screens) for some ventilation. No leaks, too! - I like SnugTop

I want bigger and better (the latter being very subjective) tires. - I perfer 35s the brand isn't as important as the construction of the tire. Look for a load range E, 3-ply sidewall, aggressive all terrain or street friendly mud terrain of your choice.

Is it really true the spare is limited to 33s in the stock storage location? Can this be rectified? - Not sure about a 4G PW I have a 3G and a 35" will fit just fine.

Who makes good seat covers? I think I want covers for when I am traveling off-road and getting dirty. - No need just clean the leather with a quality cleaner after each car wash and off road trip.

Also, WeatherTech floor liners - are there better ones? - Like like the factory Mopar or WeatherTech.

Considering lifetime MaxCare warranty. I will have this truck for a long time. At least ten years. Any input? Real life experience with MaxCare? - I think it's a good idea if you want to keep it long term.

Is there any armor required for underneath? - No need there is plenty already

Intended use is daily pick-up type driving with an annual extended off-road adventure (expedition style). No hard core rock climbing. - For an expedition vehicle keep it as OEM as possible for reliability purposes.
Last edited by coder on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Welcome to PWR. Oodles of info here for you and your new ride.

I have been drooling over your exact truck for a year now. Maybe one day I will just order the dang thing!

Congrats on the truck... You must be stoked! Wheres the pics!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 pm

GOT IT!!!! Sitting in the drive way. Too dark for pictures. Maybe get to it tomorrow. :excited:

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:06 am

Congratulations on all fronts! Welcome aboard, can't wait to see your new truck :rockon:
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Here is the new PW:

Here is what the PW is (maybe) replacing:

Since my wife is laying claim to the PW, here is what I get to drive.....:

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:21 pm

I'd keep the Super Duty and trade in the Prius...

Good looking Power Wagon!
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 pm

First impressions of my new truck:

It is an impressive looking vehicle. I love the granite color. I suppose it will, unfortunately, show off the inevitable pin-striping.

It is quite the climb into the cab, especially so with "adhesive capsulitis" (frozen shoulder), recently acquired thanks to being immobile two months from brain surgery. It is, however, worth the pain.

The cab is very roomy, nicely laid out (like it better than any of my other trucks), and, I must say, I am glad my wife insisted on the Laramie version.

The factory tonneau cover is excellent. Had I ordered the truck vice bought off the lot, I would not have ordered it. As it is, I am glad it is on the truck.

The stability of the truck in curves is much better than my '03 F350 Powerstroke. The gap between the two is really noticeable. The PW's suspension also does well soaking up road irregularities. The coils are not overly stiff or soft, and both compression and rebound damping are well suited for how I drive the truck on the road.

Between 60 to 75 mph the truck vibrates noticeably, but nowhere near the very first PW I test drove. I really think it is the Duratracs, but I don't know if it is the tire construction, or if it is a balancing issue. I know these tires are notoriously difficult to balance, so without having more experience, I can only guess that it is a balancing issue. Now, the 33s (285/70 actually) look pretty good, but 35s are the future (for now anyway, subject to change without prior notice).

I could go and ramble on for quite awhile longer, but I am being rude to my company, so it is time to attend to my social responsibilities. I LOVE this truck, and I suppose I better, considering the cost. I am still hyperventilating a bit! :lol:

TruckBoatTruck
Model Year: 2014

Post by TruckBoatTruck » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:39 pm

That is the same truck as mine. good choice, I get many complements on it. My truck doed the exact same thing you describe about going 60-70 and surprisingly handles amazingly. The shaking Must be those damn tires, I think its almost time for me to look a little more deeply into getting some 37s :lol: .

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Thats the truck right there!

Good to here about factory bed cover... I was wondering about checking that box on the order sheet or not. Do you miss the ram boxes yet? :P

About the color... yes it will show those pesky scratches very well. But well worth it!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

Jnallison
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Jnallison » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 am

congratulations on the beating cancer. I recently lost a family member very quickly to brain cancer. I understand your struggle. I agree with what mods/upgrades everyone else has chimed in with. The only thing as far as the cap goes would maybe be to look at the soft topper or can-back. They are a lot like a jeep top and can easily be removed or rolled up on the sides and very light weight compared to other caps. Just a thought. Nice truck.
2014 SLT, 35" BFG KM2 on Worx wheels 17x9, leveled 2.5", 1" Traxxda in the rear, toneaumax cover, AEM drop in filter, swing cases, purple cranuim diff covers, custom sliders,

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Once again, I need to start by saying "Thank you" for all the replies. I am looking into all of the info given. And I'm learning.

Having a heck of a time deciding between the Weathertech, Husky, or Lund floor mats. I guess I ought to stop wasting time, make a decision, and get on with it (it isn't rocket science, after all). If I don't like what I get, well, try something else. What makes the decision particularly difficult for me is the lack of coverage on the passenger side front hump - I certainly have put my feet there (intentional or not), and between the three brands mentioned, none of them seem to cover that 'hump'.

FYI: I did go ahead and purchase the MaxCare lifetime warranty. First warranty I have ever bought. I had, of course, second thoughts, but when I considered the amount of electronic equipment on the vehicle, I went ahead and bought it. I paid just a bit over $2500.00 for it, perhaps not the lowest price possible, but a fair price, imho.

Jnallison, I am sorry for your loss. I did not know I had cancer until I suffered a seizure and flat-lined. Turns out I had an egg-sized cancer in my brain. Fortunately, the docs were able to get it all. It really seems a bit odd to be a 'cancer survivor' because it just doesn't feel like I ever had to confront it. From my diagnosis to my surgery (five days) I was in a coma, with very brief moments of lucidity in between. I just didn't feel like a cancer patient. Until I walked into the local oncology center, that is. My eyes were opened (the scales fell off, so to say). There were well over a hundred folks in there, patients and loved ones, in various stages of health and illness. Without trying to sound overly dramatic, the misery and sadness were palpable. Especially so, it seemed, for the families and friends who were, simply put, unable to do anything about it. I know I am a blessed man, for sure.

I apologize for the detour of the above paragraph. Let me get back to PWs! Just in case, though, if anybody needs/wants to talk about life's unexpected knuckleballs, a quick pm and exchange of phone numbers is on the table.

The Ram boxes are a well-executed design on the trucks. Multi-purpose capability, from fishing rods to long guns to being coolers. However, the boxes do not fit into my future plans for the truck.

Driving my new truck makes me smile! :P

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:35 pm

TheWorstKind wrote:
Driving my new truck makes me smile! :P
Just seeing the picture of it makes me smile too :D

Have fun with it!

TheWorstKind

Post by TheWorstKind » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:24 pm

First mod completed. Actually did this last Wednesday during a break in the rain here. Just in time for the massive rainfall we have had over the last few days, and whatever we can expect for the rest of the day/night from Joaquin. Decided to go with Weathertech fitted liners. Both the wife and I are satisfied.

Here are some pics. Black on black makes details difficult. You should, however, be able to see the dirt that would otherwise be on the carpet floor liners, or worse, the truck's carpet.

Littlehouse

Post by Littlehouse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Congrats on the truck and beating cancer! Good choice on the first mod. I won't have another truck without the liners...