Exhaust / Resonator

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
DSOGrizz
Model Year: 2014

Exhaust / Resonator

Post by DSOGrizz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:51 pm

The 2015 PW has a resonator behind the rear passenger tire.(see pic) Is there a after market tail pipe delete for this? None of the Muffler shops around me can bend 3.5inch pipe. To me this looks bad. Don`t really want to replace the complete exhaust just to get rid of the resonator.
Attachments
IMG_0847.JPG

SnakeEyes
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Exhaust / Resonator

Post by SnakeEyes » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 pm

You should just delete the large muffer and leave that one! It's what I did and it sounds awesome!

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:37 pm

X2

Mufflex is the company you want to deal w/. They have a Magnaflow muffler replacement which is way better over stock, or a complete muffler delete, which is loud. But do not get rid of the resonator---your teeth will rattle out at 55-65mph
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

black_hawk8888
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by black_hawk8888 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 am

Noise tolerance is different for everyone. I put the mufflex muffler in and cut off the resonator (the thing circled in your picture). I love the sound - it rumbles at idle and growls when you get into the throttle but is quiet without droning while cruising at speed. All in my opinion of course. It looked like the resonator tail pipe would get caught on rocks anyway.
2015 Power Wagon SLT
Stickers removed, Dual Alternators, Thuren PW coils and sway bar with Overland shocks, Magnaflow muffler, resonator deleted, tow mirrors, AMP Powersteps, Carli front diff guard, Husky X-Act mats, spray in bed liner, Undercover tonneau cover

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Which Mufflex are we talking about??? The one out in Mercerville, NJ???

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

SB241

Post by SB241 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:54 pm

[quote="Pit Slave"]Which Mufflex are we talking about??? The one out in Mercerville, NJ???

This one, http://www.mufflex-performance.com/ I have on my 15 PW. I also cut the resonator off with a sawzall and welded in a short piece of 3.5" pipe. Huge sound difference without the resonator, I ran it both ways, Mufflex with resonator...too quiet, without it, it sounds like a Hemi should IMHO.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:07 pm

SB241 wrote:
Pit Slave wrote:Which Mufflex are we talking about??? The one out in Mercerville, NJ???

This one, http://www.mufflex-performance.com/ I have on my 15 PW. I also cut the resonator off with a sawzall and welded in a short piece of 3.5" pipe. Huge sound difference without the resonator, I ran it both ways, Mufflex with resonator...too quiet, without it, it sounds like a Hemi should IMHO.
HA! Same guys, Denny and Chris are basically my neighbors. For some reason I never linked the two together haha. They are the most easy and lay back people you will deal with when it comes to exhaust work, complete nerds with absolute passion. They had my truck up on the lift to reroute the left bank pipe, put in a non restricting "Y" pipe, and new muffler on my truck when I put the deep pan "performance" trans in earlier this year. They will not sell you anything more than what you will need, period. Legit work. If it doesn't sound right they will not be satisfied, real attention to detail.

I'll have to take some pics of the work they did on my 2005 PW, it will allow you to drop the trans out without having the exhaust in the way and also allows a better clearance without worrying about the pipe dragging on a rock. Very satisfied with the outcome.

And as far as how honest they are? Well I did come back from Moab with a "rattle" at certain RPM's. It turned out I had dragged the exhaust tip harder than I thought on the "Pickle" and pulled the coupling apart about an inch or more and that was were it was vibrating. Went back to them to see about getting time in to fix it. Chris told me if I wanted to, he could take a look in about 15 min. Perfect! I told him I'll come right back after I head down the road to get a coffee. Came back and Chris put it up on the lift to check it, I told him how it happened and that it was my fault. He readjust the linkage and even suggested to put a few tack welds around the clamp. Did all that and didn't charge me for the repair! That's how much they stand behind their work! Needless to say, I send all my work to Denny and Chris.

John Adams - 1826

Jnallison
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jnallison » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 pm

The only time I don't like an exhaust is when the mds kicks in. The drone at that point, I hate. The resonator does drag on the occasional rock but worth keeping to avoid or lessen the drone when the truck goes into mds mode. Jmo
2014 SLT, 35" BFG KM2 on Worx wheels 17x9, leveled 2.5", 1" Traxxda in the rear, toneaumax cover, AEM drop in filter, swing cases, purple cranuim diff covers, custom sliders,

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 pm

Jnallison wrote:The only time I don't like an exhaust is when the mds kicks in. The drone at that point, I hate. The resonator does drag on the occasional rock but worth keeping to avoid or lessen the drone when the truck goes into mds mode. Jmo
You need this then:
http://www.mufflex-performance.com/dodg ... nator.html

Get rid of the low hanging exhaust/suppressor and put this up and out of the way.

John Adams - 1826

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Pit Slave wrote:
SB241 wrote:
Pit Slave wrote:Which Mufflex are we talking about??? The one out in Mercerville, NJ???

HA! Same guys, Denny and Chris are basically my neighbors. For some reason I never linked the two together haha. They are the most easy and lay back people you will deal with when it comes to exhaust work, complete nerds with absolute passion. They had my truck up on the lift to reroute the left bank pipe, put in a non restricting "Y" pipe, and new muffler on my truck when I put the deep pan "performance" trans in earlier this year. They will not sell you anything more than what you will need, period. Legit work. If it doesn't sound right they will not be satisfied, real attention to detail.

I'll have to take some pics of the work they did on my 2005 PW, it will allow you to drop the trans out without having the exhaust in the way and also allows a better clearance without worrying about the pipe dragging on a rock. Very satisfied with the outcome.

And as far as how honest they are? Well I did come back from Moab with a "rattle" at certain RPM's. It turned out I had dragged the exhaust tip harder than I thought on the "Pickle" and pulled the coupling apart about an inch or more and that was were it was vibrating. Went back to them to see about getting time in to fix it. Chris told me if I wanted to, he could take a look in about 15 min. Perfect! I told him I'll come right back after I head down the road to get a coffee. Came back and Chris put it up on the lift to check it, I told him how it happened and that it was my fault. He readjust the linkage and even suggested to put a few tack welds around the clamp. Did all that and didn't charge me for the repair! That's how much they stand behind their work! Needless to say, I send all my work to Denny and Chris.

That's good to hear... Just ordered the muffler replacement from them...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

Jnallison
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jnallison » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Pit Slave wrote:
Jnallison wrote:The only time I don't like an exhaust is when the mds kicks in. The drone at that point, I hate. The resonator does drag on the occasional rock but worth keeping to avoid or lessen the drone when the truck goes into mds mode. Jmo
You need this then:

Get rid of the low hanging exhaust/suppressor and put this up and out of the way.

Very interesting, so it goes in place of the tailpipe resonator?
2014 SLT, 35" BFG KM2 on Worx wheels 17x9, leveled 2.5", 1" Traxxda in the rear, toneaumax cover, AEM drop in filter, swing cases, purple cranuim diff covers, custom sliders,

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Jnallison wrote:
Pit Slave wrote:
You need this then:

I could be wrong but I don't think it works on the 2500 models... Just the 09 and up 1500 models...
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 pm

14PowerWaggy wrote:
Jnallison wrote:
Pit Slave wrote: You need this then:

I could be wrong but I don't think it works on the 2500 models... Just the 09 and up 1500 models...
Well if you want, I can go tomorrow morning and find out more info on the fit.

John Adams - 1826

Jnallison
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Jnallison » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 pm

That would be cool. I want the tone, just not the drone so I have held off on an exhaust upgrade. Come to think of it, a 1500 is 3", the 6.4 has. 3.5" diameter pipe. So it would probably need to be specific for the 6.4 2500.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:29 am

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Very interesting, so it goes in place of the tailpipe resonator?[/quote]
I could be wrong but I don't think it works on the 2500 models... Just the 09 and up 1500 models...[/quote]
Well if you want, I can go tomorrow morning and find out more info on the fit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk[/quote]
That would be awesome if you have the time Pit Slave... Can you also ask them when my muffler is going to ship... Ha... :lol:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Just spoke with Chris, and he said that the 1500, 2500, and up should be the same fit for the exhaust as long as it's a 3 inch tube(5.7L). The 6.4L is 3.5 inch and according to him, there isn't too much interest in a drone suppressor in those trucks. He also said that a lot of the people are saying that the factory trucks are too loud and that they wanted something more quiet.

John Adams - 1826

loveracing1988
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by loveracing1988 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Pit Slave wrote:Just spoke with Chris, and he said that the 1500, 2500, and up should be the same fit for the exhaust as long as it's a 3 inch tube(5.7L). The 6.4L is 3.5 inch and according to him, there isn't too much interest in a drone suppressor in those trucks. He also said that a lot of the people are saying that the factory trucks are too loud and that they wanted something more quiet.

Too loud? The 6.4 is just as quiet as my 5.7 was stock for stock.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:27 am

Pit Slave wrote:Just spoke with Chris, and he said that the 1500, 2500, and up should be the same fit for the exhaust as long as it's a 3 inch tube(5.7L). The 6.4L is 3.5 inch and according to him, there isn't too much interest in a drone suppressor in those trucks. He also said that a lot of the people are saying that the factory trucks are too loud and that they wanted something more quiet.

Got my magnaflow kit from mufflex... Love it... Gives a nice throaty tone but isn't ridiculously loud... I left the resonator on to keep it toned down a bit more...

DSOGrizz

Post by DSOGrizz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for all the info. I will check out mufflex for sure.

b40huckers
Model Year: 2017

Post by b40huckers » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I purchased a flow master 50 for the muffler and replaced the resonator with RBP tip.
Attachments
3A3B9AF0-3515-466D-9C67-5B9A9356BD8C.jpeg
H.D. Smith
2017 Power Wagon
2018 Charger Daytona
1999 GMC Suburban

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am

^ i have a tip just like this on my resonator delete, along with the Mufflex Magnaflow Muffler.

unleashes the beast in this setup. drone is negligible on highway. TOW mode and it will hum, and ECO at slow speeds must be turned off. drone there sounds nice, but is too loud.

best setup for someone who can handle a little exhaust hum.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

Lazarus
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by Lazarus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Anyone had any trouble with warranty after changing out the muffler? The dealership is always looking for ways to get out of honoring the warranty in my area.