Back Up Camera issue

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Back Up Camera issue

Post by MOPARManiac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:41 pm

This past week camping my back up camera was blurry first thing in the morning. It appears that it is getting condensation on the inside from temperature change. After it warms up it is fine and clear again.

Anyone have this issue? My PW is always garaged so it isn't exposed to a lot of weather. Seems the camera is pretty cheap if it is getting moisture on the inside. I guess I was take it to the dealer and get it replaced under warranty.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

Mule
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Back Up Camera issue

Post by Mule » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:46 am

I got a pretty interesting view on mine the other day.
Water pools up in the front of the bed when it rains. When I take off, all that water dumps between the bed and tailgate, creating an interesting waterfall effect on the camera. :lol:

Mine's a cheap chinese aftermarket one, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had to replace it in a few years.

(Where in Wyoming? Lived in Laramie when I was going to school there, then Evanston for about a year...)

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:49 am

I am sure you checked already, but are you sure it isnt just condensation on the outside of the lense insteady of inside of it?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:12 am

One way to check for moisture on the inside is to get an ice cube and hold it on the lens for a few minutes. This will allow it to cool enough to cause condensation on the inside if there is moisture in the housing. You will have to wipe off the lens while you check the image on the screen to see if it's clear right afterwards (once it's cold enough it should condensate fairly quickly on the outside). It will be easier with help from a friend as by the time you go back to check the image, the outside of the lens could have fogged up from the humidity.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Mule wrote:I got a pretty interesting view on mine the other day.
Water pools up in the front of the bed when it rains. When I take off, all that water dumps between the bed and tailgate, creating an interesting waterfall effect on the camera. :lol:

Mine's a cheap chinese aftermarket one, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had to replace it in a few years.

(Where in Wyoming? Lived in Laramie when I was going to school there, then Evanston for about a year...)
In Cheyenne.
2010 Power Wagon in Bright Silver Metalic, Sun Roof, Power sliding rear window, Nav, Luverne Grill Guard. Cooper S/T Maxx tires, DeeZee toolbox w/ Hi Lift Jack, two Jerry Cans/Mounts, Armacoating bedliner, Carli front diff guard. White Knuckle Off Road Sliders.

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:13 pm

olyelr wrote:I am sure you checked already, but are you sure it isnt just condensation on the outside of the lense insteady of inside of it?
Yep, I checked several times. I would clean it, then check, clean it again, it was always blurry. I couldn't notice the first day, but the second I could see condensation on the inside. After a few hours in the heat it would dry up and then the camera is clear as a bell. My deductible for the max care is $100 and it just sucks to pay that much for a $150 dollar part. I guess that' s how Chrysler can do their max care warranty.

It was an expensive trip. The piece of shit Dometic 3 way refrigerator stopped working. The ammonia in the coils is leaking into the inside of the refrigerator. I just spent a couple hundred fixing the thing last fall and now it is completely shot. I pulled the refrigerator out today and am going to build a shelf for storage and small microwave. Next month I am going to buy a Yeti cooler and just not have a refrigerator. They are F'n money pits in campers. Anything Dometic seems to be.

On top of that I hat to get stitches after getting myself with a knife. Did I mention it was an expensive trip? I will have to get the camera fixed, it's a marriage saver. The only time my wife and I fight is when she is trying to guide me in to hook up a trailer. :mrgreen:

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:29 pm

MOPARManiac wrote: Next month I am going to buy a Yeti cooler and just not have a refrigerator. They are F'n money pits in campers.
MOPARManiac wrote:The only time my wife and I fight is when she is trying to guide me in to hook up a trailer. :mrgreen:

Ha!

You can buy a lot of parts for the cost of one of those coolers!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

MOPARManiac
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by MOPARManiac » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:02 am

Once ammonia starts leaking the whole refrigerator has to be replaced. Cheapest I have found is $500 and I can buy a nice cooler cheaper than that that won't have to be fixed/replaced every few years. It's a small 1.5 cubic feet pop up camper sized refrigerator. I can make better use of the space and just use a cooler. I should have done that all along. It would have saved me some dollars and frustration from when I could have been relaxing instead of trying to fix the piece of shit.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Looks like my PW is going to the dealership on Monday to address a blurry backup camera... it's the first issue I've had with the truck. It's been blurry for months now and never seems to improve. I checked for a flash update months ago and there was an update listed - but I didn't have time to dick with it then. When I checked for an update his week, it said I was up-to-date even though I've had the same flash for a while. Perhaps it's a real camera issue and not related to the software.

Cleaning the lens has absolutely no affect - and I can't see any moisture inside...

I'm sure I'll need a new engine (or at least lifters), probably a transmission, and a top off of blinker fluid. :popcorn:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:33 pm

Turned out to be a bad camera - apparently they have replaced a LOT of them. They claim that they are prone to "getting moisture in them".

The original camera's are generally defective and eventually allow moisture in and will fail. (unless you live in a low humidity desert).

They are not considered NTSB safety related - so no recall is mandated.

Dealer service likes to replace them - they get allocated 1 chargeable labor hour for a 10 minute job. The thumb sized camera part only costs FCA about $25 and they charge the customer $125 + 1 hour labor. :rant:
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006

FordyceCreekTrail
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by FordyceCreekTrail » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Honestly surprised that's all they charge. I thought dealers had a 500.00 Minimum.
2018 Flame Red, Moon Roof, Dual Alternators, Ram Boxes sadly Ram ran out of, Luxo Package with 8.4 UConnect, Enter and Go with remote start, Auto Wipers and Lights. Added missing skids and White Knuckle sliders. 35" BFG KM3s. Procal and Warn wireless remote for winch.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm

FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm
Honestly surprised that's all they charge. I thought dealers had a 500.00 Minimum.
And Im surprised they charged anything at all.

Bill, no lifetime warranty? (although maybe it wouldn't be covered anyway).

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:57 pm

olyelr wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm
FordyceCreekTrail wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm
And Im surprised they charged anything at all.

Bill, no lifetime warranty? (although maybe it wouldn't be covered anyway).
They're dealers... their primary purpose is to overcharge for shoddy repair work and perform endless recalls. Of course they have to document all your maintenance activity to see if there are any gaps they can use to deny your warranty claims too!

Those lifetime warranties cost like thousands of dollars... and they make plenty of money off of them - or they wouldn't offer them. If I thought the truck would require thousands of dollars of repairs, then I wouldn't have bought it. :D
2014 Power Wagon Laramie

Moab 2006