Flowmaster Exhaust?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Flowmaster Exhaust?

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 pm

So I'm trying to figure out a muffler that gives me a deeper and slightly louder tone without a bunch of drone in the cab of the truck. Does anybody know anything about Flomaster? They carry this line at the local exhaust shop.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Flowmaster Exhaust?

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am

Had one on my Dakota. Gave it a nice rumble and no noticeable drone. Not sure about a new PW though. That is the brand that my local muffler shop guy swears by.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 am

I have a FlowMaster 50 SUV series on the truck. Very mellow, slightly louder than stock with a nice rumble at lower RPM.
I'm just along for the ride...

04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by 04Ram2500Hemi » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 am

I thought the Power Wagon would be better for less drone because it's got more sound insulation than the older trucks did, but I'm not sure. I'm not looking and changing the whole exhaust system, just giving it a pinch more rumble.
Gone but Never Forgotten
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I've never liked Flowmaster. The only muffler that have that flows enough for the Hemi is the 50HD. I've always been very happy wiht Magnaflow, I think an 18" Magnaflow would be perfect for what you want.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

AceMan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model Year: 2006

Post by AceMan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:56 pm

I don't like FlowMaster, either. I had a bad experience with my 2005 Ram 1500 with an FM40. Lots of drone, lost the low end torque, and too loud. Yea, some say I should have got the FM50, but the muffler shop didn't offer it. U traded it in on the PW and made a note to be very careful choosing an exhaust system, I I do.

What I think may work best is the dual Cat back Mopar OEM off a 2010 or newer. Nice low rumble, no drone, great low end torque and high end power. And they're made by Borla.
Did you ever notice that after Monday and Tuesday the calendar says "WTF"?
KB1ACE - Kilo-Bravo-One-Alpha-Charlie-Echo
Power Wagon Owner's Club #110

Black '06 PW QC
Auto, REC Nav/Sat UConnect, Reverse cam, MyGig v2 Lockpick, adj pedals, Tow mirrors, aftermarket heated seats.
Mods: Mopar Rock Rails, Carr steps (what's left of them), Toyo MT 35x12.5x17, Mopar 8.5 "T"-Linkage, Carli Trackbar (frameside 16mm bolt), King 2.5 Reservoir shocks, Carli Progressive coils, Carli Front Diff Protector, Rockcrusher rear diff, Carli Low Mount Damper, KC 55 watt rear floods w/Defiant bracket, RetroSolutions 12W LED rev & brake lights, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads, 4th Gen Steering Box, Spicer axle U-joints, 4G DTProfab Steering brace ground 3/8" offset to fit my 3G 2006 with a 4G box.
Sitting in Garage: Ram SRT10 A-Pillar.
Image Image Image

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I have the 40 Series Flow Master. I lost low end torque and it drones. It only drones because it dumps prior to the rear axel. I had tail pipes on it that exited the rear of the truck behind both tires and there wasn't any drone. SO.......It sounds awesome, but I lost a little low end torque. I'm going to eventually try a Magnaflow or Gibson...... :popcorn:
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:01 pm

A Magnoflow Y pipe and muffler are the way to go.

A few things to consider with Magnaflow mufflers. The larger the muffler body the quieter the sound, and center/center is quieter than center/offset or offset/center.

If you add a CIA to your truck it will be louder.

I have one of these on my truck and with a stock air intake box it is a little louder that stock, with a better sound, more rumble no drone. Here is an example:
Attachments
14579.jpg
This is the one I would get if it was my truck.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 am

Any feedback on low end torque with the Magnaflow? I had the 22" on my Titan and it was great for low end torque and increased fuel economy when towing. I am looking for the same for my PW but there are not a lot of definitive reviews yet on which after market muffler or exhaust system is the best for low end torque.
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm

JBM Power Wagon wrote:Any feedback on low end torque with the Magnaflow? I had the 22" on my Titan and it was great for low end torque and increased fuel economy when towing. I am looking for the same for my PW but there are not a lot of definitive reviews yet on which after market muffler or exhaust system is the best for low end torque.
My truck definitively felt better than it did with the stock muffler, but I added the Y pipe at the same time. I did not notice any difference in mileage.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Cool, thanks. I am hoping to do something next spring and I really liked the Magnaflow set up I had on my Titan.

djgaston

Post by djgaston » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Another option may be the Flowmaster series 70. I use it on my v10 which is notorious for sounding like crap with aftermarket exhausts. The muffler is HUGE, about the size of the stocker (but flat so it gives more ground clearance). The tone is nice and aggressive, but not real loud. It's one of the quietest Flowmaster mufflers. Compared to the 40 series, this thing is three times the size and probably half as loud.

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Why not just go Corsa?

Be happy they make it for the new 2500's, I wish they made one for my year lol.
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:49 am

I have looked at the Corsa or DB as they do have the full cat back kits for the 4G 2500's. My only reservation is I haven't been able to get any definitive answers on how those kits affect low end torque. When I head out camping I have a 7500lb trailer in tow with a quad, generator and probably too much gear all loaded up. For that reason alone my main goal with an aftermarket exhaust is increased low and mid range torque with minimal drone.

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am

I would not be overly concerned with Low end in these trucks, especially with the gearing they have.

Almost any straight through muffler will help in the mid to upper RPMs where the HEMI make its power.

I tow my friends 8,000lb+ camper with my truck and half of bed of firewood no issues.

I would either go full Bolt in Corsa, I had no drone on my 1500 with the Corsa, and it sounded mean too.

or

Weld in "Y" and long Magnaflow Muffler, check out Mufflex too, they have stuff for the 1500's and might have stuff for the 2500's now as well.
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.