Shock feedback sticky?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Shock feedback sticky?

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 am

There have been a few threads lately about shocks, I think it would be a good idea have a sticky about it.

Like other I am also looking into new shock, my stockers are 7 years old with 34K miles and the bodies have some rust scale.
Need to keep the hauling towing capacity and would like a better on road ride (more control on bumps and such). Looked at the Thuren Fox 2.0's however I don't think I need something that crazy as I am not offroad that often and its typically not high speed (also worried about winter corrosion). So that leaves the Bilstiens 5160 or 7100's unless I am missing something.

To kick off the sticky here is some great info by posted by Coder in a different thread.
I have progressed up through various levels of shocks in my PW and here is what I noticed:

OEM Bilstein's PW specific valving:
- compliant and absorbent but not overly soft
- some noticeable side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 5100's:
- somewhat stiffer than the OEM's
- a more controlled feel than the OEM's not as much side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 7100's with Carli Performance 2.0 PW valving:
- slightly stiffer than the 5100's
- the more you push them the better they feel
- when pushed hard they don't go right to the bump-stops but resist
- they don't noticeable fade when pushed hard for a long period

King 2.5" Pin-Tops with Carli Hemi valving:.
- like driving a high-end sports car around town
- its like being glued to the road, but you feel every imperfection
- no sway in the corners, the more you push them the better they like it
- I can do 45-50 mph down a dirt road and hit fairly sizable ruts and bumps comfortably
- on rough roads I find myself waiting for the "wam bam" on big bumps but nothing happens, just a soft thump
- no fading when pushed hard for a long period
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Re: Shock feedback sticky?

Post by nts007 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:07 pm

I can tell you the 7100s don't like -30. They seem to get better when they warmed up after driving for a bit but they do not perform like in summer. I have 2 that I have managed to blow the main seal on. Carli is helping me out as did George but I haven't done anything about it. Still too cold to remove em. Im also debating just rebuilding then and changing the fluid to a slightly lighter weight and lightning the valving. But I have been happy with the performance
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Skyd Ram
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Skyd Ram » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:33 pm

nts007 wrote:I can tell you the 7100s don't like -30. They seem to get better when they warmed up after driving for a bit but they do not perform like in summer. I have 2 that I have managed to blow the main seal on. Carli is helping me out as did George but I haven't done anything about it. Still too cold to remove em. Im also debating just rebuilding then and changing the fluid to a slightly lighter weight and lightning the valving. But I have been happy with the performance
Neil,
I think that your situation is pretty random as I have quite a few guys running those shocks a lot further north than you are at without issues for years. Plus there are a handful of guys running them on here with no issues either. :rockon:

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:56 pm

My truck hates nice things. And I don't have any major complaints about the shocks George. You and carli have been awesome to deal with.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:46 pm

I have the 7100's with the Carli Hemi valving. I've been happy with them so far. No issues. Towed a 10,000 lbs camper with them too.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

chromedragon
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by chromedragon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Lets see about adding more to the mix.

I have been looking at shocks as im at 75k on the pw and the ride feels a bit rougher than i remember when i purchased it.

I have been looking around and read as much as i can find regarding the suggestions made earlier in the thread. FYI the guys at my local 4wheel parts store were very interested in your summarry on the shocks.

That being said what are there comments or experiences any one has had with the following options.,

im looking at either of the following.

Rancho 9000xl shocks on all 4 corners
or
Fox 2.0 IFP ( non res)

I have not seen Fox or Rancho mentioned before so i thought i would ask.
2006 Power Wagon Quad Cab Manual Moto Rims stock size, Cooper ATP, Dynatrac Ball joints, Dynatrac Free spin kit with Warn hubs, AmSteel blue 7/16 x 100' synthetics rope from Custom splice, Sony BT 602 stereo and backup camera etc. Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks.

Special Licenses:
FAA Airframe and Power Plant
FCC Technician (Ham) KK6YCI

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
"No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.

Robert A. Heinlein

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Shock feedback sticky?

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:45 pm

2.65 acv's from Carli are firmmmmmmm. When paired with a soft Thuren coil and leaf they are reasonable but cracked up roads in colder weather are annoying. Big dips and high speeds really accent Carli valving to where they shine. Diesel valving :) they don't really ever want to bottom. Not something you want for someone wanted an even softer plusher ride compared to factory. More like a motorcross style suspension system.
Also shock bushings are very loud in colder weather. They seem to get better when they warm up but the heims top and bottom make for more road noise and you can hear extension/ compression on quick pot holes when the shocks are cold and oil is thicker. Also the rod end bushings/ heims are alittle small for trucks if our size (1/2") compared to the kings (5/8") Ps not sure if I did this right lol

Sent from somewhere your not
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:43 am

While I need to make more progress and do more updates... this link shows my experience with my choice of King 2.5" shocks.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... 549#p33389

My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

new Bilstein option

Post by adeluca73 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:47 am

Just a word of warning regarding bilsteins....they are a royal pain in the ass to find parts/tech support for

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:06 am

adeluca73 wrote:Does anyone have experience with these Bilstein 8125's

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/use ... 15_WEB.pdf

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truc ... -coilover/
no man but I had 9100's with anti cavitation valves and they worked great and added a lot of travel. However. The bushings on them were loud and didn't last long. I would recommend kings as their slow speed piston movement is better for wagon stuff.

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

dodgeman324
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by dodgeman324 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:22 am

When I dropped my Superlift non-pw specific lift kit, I originally had planned on going with the Bilstein 5125's at all four corners, however, I was only able to get the rear ones on, as the front ones with the eyelet/stem was very heavily backordered with Germany with every company I tried. I waited for awhile, but got tired of waiting so cancelled the fronts and put Rancho 9000XL Adjustables on there. I am not liking them that much though. I have tried different settings with them, but can't find that sweet spot. I somewhat wonder if it is just a different valving issue with the rear Bilsteins. The back end of my truck feels good, just not the front. So, I will be soon dropping the Rancho's and match my rear Bilsteins as far as model and valving. However, it is very likely if you put the Rancho's at all four corners, you might be happy. I will someday upgrade to the Fox's, because I do still enjoy the occasional high-speed dirt road, and I do a lot of highway and back road sprints with very rough roads so I believe the Fox's would benefit me enough to warrant the price.
Brandon T. - HollyFrontier / US Army Reserves - 13+ years combined Active and Reserves with 1 tour to Iraq in 2009.
2005 Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab, with lots of upgrades = 600+whp/650+wtq.
2012 Chrysler Town and Country Limited, Pentastar V6, Dual DVD.

Former Vehicles:
2005 Dodge Ram PowerWagon, lots of upgrades.
2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 4.7L, White, Black wheels, K&N CAI, 70mm Throttle body, Superships, E-Fan conversion, LED Tails/3rd Brake, HID's
2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet, Red, Sirius, Push button start, Pentastar.
2007 Dodge Powerwagon, 35inch Nitto's, AEM ColdAir, Flowmaster 40 (Oh I will miss you sooooooo much and I will buy you again when times are right)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, QuadraDrive II, 2 inch lift, 31inch offroad tires. (Will also miss you too, I'll miss all the times a guy in a Wrangler says "You can't do this in THAT!" and then I do it without problems)
2004 Dodge Durango Crew Cab, 4X2, Rhinoliner, K&N Airfilter.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Kenne Bell Supercharger Kit, Custom Headers, Borla exhaust, 508rwhp.
1998 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
1994 Dodge Ram Regular Cab (my first vehicle, besides the hand me down 1988 Ford Ranger)

Married 13 year, Father to Braden (9 yrs) and Mia (5 yrs).

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:22 am

I have the Rancho 9000's mainly because I needed shocks bad and didn't have a fat pocket at the time. I doubt I will use them again though. In the beginning, I liked them a lot but looking back, I think anything would have been better than the factory ones at the time. I had 93K on the factory ones and it felt like I was dribbling 4 basketballs everywhere I went.

I currently have almost 40K miles on the Ranchos and have (ironically) begun to notice things. I've started having the shock and the tire fighting each other and had to really play with the tire pressure and the adjustments on the shock to get it back to where it should be, this tells me they are about to go. When the tire wall would compress, the shock doesn't know what to do and pushes back too much or something, I'm not real sure (not really shock savvy) but I felt short bounces and watched my rear tire in the mirror and noticed it was a direct correlation to the side wall flex.

As for the steering damper, it is done, and I replaced it two days ago with the factory OEM and it is much better than the Rancho one ever was. The OEM doesn't have any pressure and controls left and right equally so unless you're running Toyo's or something that is notorious to pull, I suggest the OEM damper as a replacement. I learned this from Don Thuren, he's tried them all and likes the OEM better as well so I gave it a shot.

For information purposes, these are the Rancho part numbers with their travel lengths, I haven't had any articulation issues at all with them.

Rear RS999058
Compressed 18.240"
Extended 29.740"
Travel 11.500"

Front RS999044
Compressed 15.950"
Extended 24.600"
Travel 8.650"
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2011

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks for the review. I was about to purchase a set but decided to check on here to see if anyone else thought poorly about the Rancho's. Guess I will be holding off.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:04 pm

2011TXPowerWagon wrote:Thanks for the review. I was about to purchase a set but decided to check on here to see if anyone else thought poorly about the Rancho's. Guess I will be holding off.
I'll never buy them again. The bushings and seals never lasted for any length of time.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Just do overlands if you can get them for your lift height (factory height to +1") their cheap and they work awsome!

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

Kenadian
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Kenadian » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:47 pm

i agree with Lee I'm running the Thuren 3" with OverLands and i love them they defenitly ran better then expected and paired well with my boogie bumps

2011RPW
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by 2011RPW » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:46 am

X3 on Overlands
Thuren 3" Suspension, 37' Toyo R/T's, S&B, Flowmaster, Diablo Trinity, N-Fab steps (junk), 31" LED Light Bar, Replacement Bumpers, debadged.

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm thinking about trying the Overlands, you speak of a certain height? I see only one option and assume that be the one?
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by leo72987 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:08 pm

I do believe there is only one model Overland Shock.

http://www.straptperformance.com/THUREN ... n-olsp.htm

I did speak with Don about the ones above and he said they would work great with my stock 2005 Power Wagon :rockon:
2005 Wagon Standard Cab Auto,Bilstein 5100's,White Knuckle Sliders,Dodge Offroad Diff covers,Cooper St Maxx's stock size, Hardwired lockers,Evo manual sway bar disconnect conversion, DT Pro Fab Sway Bar links

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Will » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Yeah, I think so too. Don must be busy today. Anyways, I can't decide on the Overland or go on up to the Fox or Kings. I sent him an email explaining as much as I could on how I typically drive and he knows my truck so I'll wait to see what he says.

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:57 pm

leo72987 wrote:I do believe there is only one model Overland Shock.

I did speak with Don about the ones above and he said they would work great with my stock 2005 Power Wagon :rockon:
Would these shocks work with the Thuren 3" Hemi coils and control arms?

Wait i just looked at the website and they have a package all together. :doh: :doh: :doh:
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw

leo72987
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by leo72987 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41 pm

2011TXPowerWagon wrote:

Would these shocks work with the Thuren 3" Hemi coils and control arms?

Wait i just looked at the website and they have a package all together. :doh: :doh: :doh:
Haha no worries!! Thurens arms are perfect for coils up to 3 inches!! I believe his coils give 4 inches though dont they? As to his shocks they should work just fine!
2005 Wagon Standard Cab Auto,Bilstein 5100's,White Knuckle Sliders,Dodge Offroad Diff covers,Cooper St Maxx's stock size, Hardwired lockers,Evo manual sway bar disconnect conversion, DT Pro Fab Sway Bar links

2011TXPowerWagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by 2011TXPowerWagon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 pm

I think his coils give about 4" but i think thats on a stock 2500. On a pw it would give us about an increase of 2".

-George Bernard Shaw

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Adam_C » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 pm

That's odd, when I asked him about them for my 2013 he said they're really not that much better than OEM, so I just went with some 5100s, but did get the boogie rated bumps for the front. Truck no longer bounces around like crazy going over the speed tables in/out of work. One day I'll pony up for some nicer shocks, but so far I'm happy. And on a side note, straptperformance will never see a cent from me due to their piss-poor customer service :evil: