What muffler are you running

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
John's_05PW

What muffler are you running

Post by John's_05PW » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Previous owner had some exhaust work cobbed up under the truck. Right now it is true duals half way down the truck only go into a 2 to 1 piece for a single glasspack and then to a 2" tailpipe. Looking at swapping mufflers and just dumping it. What mufflers sound good with our trucks and does this set up work well.
2005 Power Wagon- stock for now
2012 Ram Crew Cab 4x4 LoneStar

MSparks909
250_Posts
250_Posts

Re: What muffler are you running

Post by MSparks909 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 am

I really like my Flowmaster Super 44. However I wanted something loud. Mine doesn't drone at all. Sounds very good and have gotten complements on it from bystanders. My truck is a manual so it won't "drone" as much as an automatic equipped truck. Look on YouTube for 5.7 Hemi Ram's with the mufflers that you're considering. Odds are your choices will be on there.
2006 QC PW G56

Suspension: 3" Thuren Diesel coils, Carli Progressive leaf springs, Thuren DYSKO bumpstops, Thuren control arms, Thuren tracbar, Thuren draglink, King 2.5" remote reservoir front shocks/2.5" King DBL bypass rear shocks, limit straps, factory swaybar end links extended 2",

Engine/Drivetrain: Airaid full intake, Airflow snorkel, Magnaflow y-pipe, 3" Flowmaster Super 44, Jet 180 t-stat, locker bypass. Carli balljoints. greasable front u-joints, Gorilla Juice in the G56, Royal Purple 75W-140 in the diffs, Shell Rotella 5W-40 in the engine w/ oversize K&N filter.

Body/Appearance: Go Recon super white cab lights, Retro Solutions 55W 6000K HID kit for headlights/fogs and projector retro'd headlight, Carli front diff guard, Rockcrusher rear diff guard, lots of pinstriping & some dents

Interior: 12" JL Audio sub in custom box w/ adjustable bass knob and 500W JL Audio amplifier, headrest gun sling, CB radio

pdavey
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by pdavey » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Love my Gibson cat back side swept exhaust. The exhaust note is deep. I get a lot of complements on the sound of the engine and exhaust.

There are so many to choose from out there I don't think you can go wrong. I would suggest you look for videos on youtube so you can compare for yourself around the sound. A lot of the manufactures websites have sound clips as well. They are all going to give you a few extra horses and a little better fuel economy as they aren't as restrictive as stock.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
2005 Dodge Power Wagon QC Black - "Laramie"
Performance Mods:
  • Comp 260 Camshaft, Upgraded Valve Springs, Forged Push Rods, JBA Shorties, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Dual Cat Exhast (Side Swept), National Speed Custom Tune
Other Mods:
  • Kenwood KVT-719 w/ Garmin Navigation and Kenwood Rear Camera, JL Stealth Sub
Suspension/Protection Mods:
  • Carli Upper "Bomb Proof" Ball Joints, NAPA Lower Ball Joints, Thuren Adj Track Bar, Thuren Adjusted Fox Damper, T-Style Steering Upgrade, New Power Steering Pump, 2012 Power Steering Motor Upgrade, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Rear Shocks -Stage 1, Thuren Off-set Control Arms, Thuren King 2.5 Custom Front Shocks -Stage 2, 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler (previous tires Cooper STT), Carli Front Dif Gard,
Style/Other Mods:
  • KC LightBar Behind Tow Hooks Mount, 2 KC Slim Driving Lights, 2 KC Offroading Lights, Weatherguard Black Steel Truck Box, Winch TPS bypass, Warn Wireless Winch Module

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Mine is a 40 Series Flow master. Sounds awesome, but may be a little loud for some. I say the louder, the better. :grin:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

stamm20
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by stamm20 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm running the flowmaster Super 40 its a 3" in an 3" out and a 3 inch dump it sounds real good
07 Brilliant Black Power Wagon
Current Mods: 35x12.50x17 Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T, DiabloSport Predator tuner, 3in Super 40 with 3in dump, TPS bypass, Pioneer touch screen Nav System with ipod hookup, Carli front diff gaurd, Fox adjustable steering stabilizer, Mopar steering box upgrade weathertec floor mats, Fox 2.0 performance shocks, hardwired lockers, evo swaybar disconnect

Yea Though I wheel through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou lockers are with me;
Thy lift and thy tires, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Magnaflow muffler and Y pipe with stock 3" pipes.
Attachments
0210000811.jpg
muffler and y pipe
0210001047.jpg
y pipe installed
0210001048a.jpg
muffler installed sideways to improve off road clearance
0210001048b.jpg
tail pipe trimmed to protect rocker panels
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Whatever you do, include the new Y-pipe in the system (unless you run true duals from the downtubes back). My experience has been that adding the Banks Monster Exhaust (3") made the truck sound better and made me think it was running stronger (maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but it seemed to and Banks put it on their dyno at the shop and said there was an improvement at the wheels). Later, adding the MagnaFlow Y-pipe made me feel like I was doing something useful for the truck's breathing and it certainly smoothed out the tubing under the truck. The real kicker, and the one that I am convinced actually makes a noticeable difference in the truck's performance, is the CAI on top of the exhaust mods. I finally got my Injen CAI onto the truck (a lot more hassle than installing the K&N on my old GMC) and the CAI really seemed to open things up. Truck has much better low end torque and sounds better. Only been on for a few days so no fuel economy or top end observations yet. CAI without exhaust improvements did not make that much difference on the GMC, but made it louder. Injen on the PW is quieter than K&N on the GMC. The PW is now pushing the limit of how much noise I'm willing to tolerate, but it sure does sound good.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

pdavey wrote:Love my Gibson cat back side swept exhaust. The exhaust note is deep. I get a lot of complements on the sound of the engine and exhaust.

There are so many to choose from out there I don't think you can go wrong. I would suggest you look for videos on youtube so you can compare for yourself around the sound. A lot of the manufactures websites have sound clips as well. They are all going to give you a few extra horses and a little better fuel economy as they aren't as restrictive as stock.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
sAME HERE
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

John's_05PW

Post by John's_05PW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Well here is what I'm working with. It is not very pretty but it does have a Y piece already. As for dumping the exhaust, does it make much difference if I have 1in/1 out vs 1in/2 out and would you recommend dumping in front of the axle or behind?
Attachments
July 2012 029.JPG
July 2012 030.JPG

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Can't tell much from those pics, but the Y-pipe looks like it was cobbled together and not very smooth inside, possibly a bit egg-shaped too. Probably won't flow very well. 1-in/2-out costs more to fab and gives you twice as many chances to crush the pipes on a rock, and means that you will be hearing the exhaust on the driver's side of the truck. If you are sure you want to dump the exhaust, do it on the passenger side in front of the axle. Where are you and what do you plan to do about the cats?

John's_05PW

Post by John's_05PW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I'm having the wife take the pictures for me since I'm overseas right now. When I was buying the truck and saw how the exhaust looked I knew I was going to have to modify it. Would it be best to get a new Y-pipe or will this one work? As of now I am leaving the cats on the truck and the truck is in Texas, but I will be moving to Utah next spring.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't know, but I think Utah is not too strict on smog rules, so that gives you some flexibility with the cats. Depending on the overall condition of the factory cats and downtubes, you might consider high flow cats and a 3" Y-pipe into a Magnaflow muffler, dumped in front of the R/R tire. If you want a "tuned" cat-back, I highly recommend the Banks system, but a Magnaflow at the local muffler shop is much more cost effective. There are lots of muffler threads on the "other" BBS if you have time to find and read them. I think most MagnaFlows sound better than most FlowMasters, but there are always exceptions.

If I were to ask my wife to crawl under my truck and take pics of the exhaust, she would tell me to pound sand.

John's_05PW

Post by John's_05PW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Well the truck will stay reg. in Texas so I wont have to worry about emmisions. Been looking at magnaflow mufflers but never ran one before. Would a 2.5in. Dual/3in. Single Y-pipe with a 3in single/3 out single muffler dumped be a pretty good combo. Looking at the 18" magnaflow.

Wife was not thrilled at all when I asked her to crawl under the truck to take the pictures for me.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Ducky's Dad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Coder probably has the best Magnaflow setup I've seen on here, so I'd listen to his opinions re sizing the muffler. 18" seems kind of short/loud for my tastes. I think the MagnaFlow website has sample sound clips for different muffler combos.

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm running an aeroturbine muffler and have been pretty happy with it. Its certainly on the loud side since its a straight through muffler with no baffles and does drone a little but not enough that its bothered my wife.
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 am

Any 4Gs have a muffler swap? I'd really like to put on a Magnaflow, but I don't have the pipe size (or the measurement of the stock muffler) to know which one to choose? I don't want anything loud, just a nice rumble and no drone at highway speeds...
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I am running a similar set up to Coder, Magnaflow "Y" but a 24" Magnaflow muffler but I have the stock rear Resonator in the stock tailpipe.

I could not hear my truck at all when it was 100% stock, now I think it has the perfect sound (and it definitely flows better, my bronze looking tip will vouch).

It does mildly drone around 1800 with a load, but not even close to stopping a conversation like my was 1500 with a dynomax ultraflow cat back (bought a Corsa because of the catback lol).
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.

whitey
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by whitey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 pm

I've had 2 gibson mufflers dumped on the side and just got a magnaflow today. Gibsons got alot of complements and where loud. People knew I was coming and the grandson learned the sound of my truck as well. Now my grandson doesn't hear me pull into the driveway and doesn't meet me at the door :( The magnaflow is 3" in and 3" out. It's very quiet.

08TwinStickPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by 08TwinStickPW » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 am

Give the magnaflow time to break in, mine was very quite at first too, couple long trips and some heavy towing and it sounds much deeper and a little louder
08' Dodge RAM PowerWagon (Laramie, 6 Speed)
GO: Diablo tuned, AEM drop in, Magnaflow "Y" and 24" muffler (dumper over the axle)
Traction/Suspension:305-70-17 Toyo AT2's, DT Profab Steering Brace, Carli front diff guard.
See: Silver stars headlights, 9012 fogs, reprogrammed for fogs with high beams, (2)6" KC LED gravity in driving/spread behind the grill
Tunes:Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS w/stock infinity amp, Infinity ref. dash/reardoor speakers, kappa component front door, JL rear stealth box and JX500.1d.
Other: Dually marker light under the tailgate, 2013+ Red hemi badges, Bedtred bedliner and mopar rubber mat, Wheel well liners, rubber flaps, Bakflip MX4, W2W Mopar steps (bedlined black), weathertech front mats and rain deflectors.