White Knuckle sliders- anybody really beaten on theirs yet?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

White Knuckle sliders- anybody really beaten on theirs yet?

Post by RAM4ROKS » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 am

Of all the rock slider discussion threads, I've only ever seen three options, one I won't try (Randy Ellis Sleekster), one I have already tried (Aluminess), and that leaves White Knuckle OR getting some custom fabbed. I know there are a TON of threads about sliders (or the lack thereof, LOL!) but, I am asking for something a bit different- I want to hear from guys that have the White Knuckles and have beat on them, how are they holding up?

I am about to either pull the trigger on the White Knuckles or have the 4x4 shop down the road from me (awesome fabricator) make me some. My truck spends a LOT of time dragging the rock sliders on rocks and banging the sides of them into rocks and trees (and pivoting off them on the sliders), I want to know how the White Knuckles are holding up to that kind of use? I know the sliders themselves can handle it easily (as could the Aluminess) but, I also want to know, can their mounting handle it? (my Aluminess sliders themselves look fine but, they tore holes in the backsides of my rockers at their mounting points!) How does the mounting method of the White Knuckles do when abused? Do they shift any after repeated hits, do they cause any damage to the frame of the truck? If you put full truck weight on them will they yield and allow the slider to contact the rocker or do they stay the same distance away from the body that they are at installation? Has anybody actually used them as a hi-lift jack point and do they work as claimed??? I really am not 100% on how they mount, I've seen pics and the mounting method looks sketchy to me but, if it works well with real world abuse, I'll get me a set!!! Info (and pics!) greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!!!

:cheers:

Cactus Red

Re: White Knuckle sliders- anybody really beaten on theirs y

Post by Cactus Red » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:36 pm

If it was me, I'd go with your local guy. That way you get exactly what you want, and you can spend the extra $$$ wasted on shipping too if that helps.

Sent via gigawatt laser...
I'm just along for the ride...

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Ok here is what I got. I beat on mine like crazy. I have the .188 upgraded ones because I am very rough on stuff. Was Leary of the mounting system. But it has proven to be consistent and trouble free. I have pivoted off them quite a bit and dragging them is the norm. At least with the 35" tires lol. I've been impressed with them. But if you can get a fabricator to build you some that's a great option too. I have not used a hi lift on mine yet but assume it would hold up. Word of advice if you go long arms you will have to cut off the front mounting bracket like I did. And they are still holding up good even missing a bracket. Will really see in Moab next week with bracket missing if they stay together. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

Riznitch
Model Year: 2008

Post by Riznitch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 pm

There is no way that the white Knuckles are going to shift. they come supplied with 4 self tapper bolts (2 per side) that pretty much lock them down once you are happy with the placements. I will say that they are a tight squeeze to get on but i was able to do them by myself. I wish i could say that i actually gave them a good beating. I've rubbed them but not ever had the truck teeter off them....yet. The way they are built i would be 100% confident they would hold. They weight almost 100 lbs a piece so to me that's a lot of thick metal. Mine haven't been locked down yet because i think i want them to get a little closer to the body and push one up about a half inch forward. I have some pics of them on the truck and right before i put them on if you want to see them.

Riz

......well i thought i had more pics..I'm cutting the exhaust tomorrow so ill take some more then.
Attachments
whiteknuckles.jpg
I guess i sorta had help
2008 PW
White Knuckle rock rails, 5100 Bilstein 2-3", 5100 Bilstein front stabilizer, Super chip.

SheepdogOutdoorsman
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by SheepdogOutdoorsman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 am

Riznitch wrote:There is no way that the white Knuckles are going to shift. they come supplied with 4 self tapper bolts (2 per side) that pretty much lock them down once you are happy with the placements. I will say that they are a tight squeeze to get on but i was able to do them by myself. I wish i could say that i actually gave them a good beating. I've rubbed them but not ever had the truck teeter off them....yet. The way they are built i would be 100% confident they would hold. They weight almost 100 lbs a piece so to me that's a lot of thick metal. Mine haven't been locked down yet because i think i want them to get a little closer to the body and push one up about a half inch forward. I have some pics of them on the truck and right before i put them on if you want to see them.

Riz

......well i thought i had more pics..I'm cutting the exhaust tomorrow so ill take some more then.
Wow ... You look young in that picture!
The Sheepdog Outdoorsman

2013 Power Wagon: Trail Ready Pre-Runner Guard Front Bumper, PIAA 540 6" Driving Lamps, PIAA 530 4" Fog Lamps, Warn 10" Roller Fairleads, In-Cab Relocation Of Winch Controller Port, & More To Come ...

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:48 am

Great questions---I have the same, but it's moot for me, since they don't, and maybe never will come up with a 2014 PW set. If it were me, and I had a 4th gen PW, I'd go with them. I've talked to them on the phone and their mounting system is good to go. If you use a torque wrench and get all the bolts snug down to the specs, you should be fine with their sliders. There's also nothing stopping you from spot welding them in addition to the sandwich bolt mounting, but it's not necessary. The White Knuckles guys said the "peace of mind' option is to also to use the option of tapping and screwing them directly into the frame---they come with 4 self tapping bolts, and holes already drilled in the mounting plates for your convenience.

Remember for sliders or any type of structural cage, use structural tubing, which is dimensioned using both the ID and OD, never go with metal pipe. The .188 DOM steel is strong, and gets a special treatment above the standard HREW steel, that increases the tensile strength. I am pretty sure for the claims of holding the entire truck weight, say 10K lbs, either would suffice, by a large margin I'd suspect. Typically tubular type steel applications starts with sheet 1010, 1018, 1020, 1026 steel (10 vs 20 etc is % carbon content, and the higher the carbon content, the higher the Yield and the Ultimate strength, but can actually decrease the cyclic fatigue strength), then the metal is rolled and electric welded into the tube "shape". DOM, is Drawn Over Mandrel, and is a cold rolling (working) process which smooths the welds, and through pressure, realigns the crystal lattice structure, retaining orthogonality in the covalent bonds, which were damaged in the welding process, this increases the strength. DOM is a process done after the REW-- Rolled Electric (resistance) Welded (which forms it into tubing from stock 10xx sheet rolls)--to increase yield strength by 10-20%. It is done after the edge welding, and is drawn through a die, and over a mandrel, to exacting ID and OD tolerances dimensions, this process metallurgically, smooths surface imperfections, increases hardness, and machinability. Is it worth the extra money over the Hot REW (HREW), sure, I guess. Is it necessary for sliders that are not constantly bearing loads near yield, probably not, but I'm an engineer nerd, and I can't help my self, so, yeah, I'd go with the DOM.

I'm going to have a local shop fab mine if White Knuckle doesn't come out with some in the next yr for 2014.
2014 Ram PW SLT: 1st year of the Best Gen
<Build Thread>

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:58 am

The 5th Gen truck has two new possible mounting points that can be used. The opportunity to integrate a slider to help mitigate the rock anchors the new suspension geometry caused would take some engineering, but should be very doable.

Sent via gigawatt laser...
I'm just along for the ride...

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 pm

THanks--hope so!!!
<Build Thread>

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks for the input y'all, I VERY much appreciate it!!! I think I will be ordering some White Knuckle sliders next week! Even with the 8 week wait time I have been hearing lately, I think they'll be quicker than my local guy, he is SWAMPED with some serious builds at the moment! I gotta do something, wheeling my truck today, I was anxious all day that I might hit my rockers (since I have no sliders now since I took my Aluminess off)- I even had to skip a trail all together! Worrying about my rockers really sapped a lot of the fun outta today's wheeling trip! It also made for a lot more physical effort- instead of being able to wheel my truck to the part of the trail we needed to put the erosion control rock at, we had to unload it in a "bucket brigade" style, passing the rocks person to person up the trail. I didn't feel too bad though, none of the other rigs hauling the rocks could go any further than me, LOL! I took a couple pics, I'll post in the pics thread!

adeluca73, I definitely agree with you on DOM as the way to go!

adeluca73
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by adeluca73 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Please post some pics and a small write-up once they get in for all of us on the fence!
<Build Thread>

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TonkaPW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 pm

I have the White Knuckle sliders on my rig and so does Mike and Peter. Take a look at some of the stuff we hit at Rausch Creek this weekend. These things take a licking and I have come down hard on mine more than once with out ever having to worry about if they will hold up to the beating I put them through. :cheers:
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah. We dropped our heavy-ass trucks on them all weekend, and the only damage is to the spray-on bedliner! They make great pivot points the way they are shaped. And you need to pivot sometimes with a truck this long. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Id get them made! Custom factor ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Prolly save you money too. Are u planning on doing any more suspension mods?? Such as long arms radius arms etc. cause the mounting points will play a factor in what you decide on too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm

I may have a solution for my sliders. I'm going to start another thread so as to avoid mucking about in this thread that's for discussion of White Knuckles!

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Not to gloat but I ordered a set of white knuckle sliders yesterday. :D

RAM4ROKS
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by RAM4ROKS » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Mexican Import wrote:Not to gloat but I ordered a set of white knuckle sliders yesterday. :D
SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TonkaPW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Mexican Import wrote:Not to gloat but I ordered a set of white knuckle sliders yesterday. :D
You aregoing tolove them. :cheers:
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

Mexican Import
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Mexican Import » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:22 pm