Self Installed Suspension Lift. Thought?

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
slimstick
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Self Installed Suspension Lift. Thought?

Post by slimstick » Mon May 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi all. I recently purchased some new wheels and tires as I was in desperate need for new rubber. I've also am waiting on my 2" Mopar spacer to come in so I can level out the truck, hence my last thread. A few questions:

1) All of you guys with suspension kits on your trucks, are those self installed or are you taking them to shops for peace of mind(warranty)?
2) I'm mechanically inclined and would like to install my own suspension kit once I decide on and purchase one in order to save close to $1k in labor for an off-road shop to do. My only concern is the fact that we have the sway bar disconnect that to my knowledge only needs drop links, plus a transfer case drop?
3) Since I'm asking questions and don't want to start another thread in order to cover everything, what's the recommended tire pressure for 35/1250R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm currently at 48F/44R but feel that may be high. I just had them installed last week and would like to run them correctly asap.
4) Considering the only mod/additions to the truck have been the exhaust(Magnaflow), tires(mentioned above) and wheels(17" Method Standards), leaving everything else stock. What would opinions be on the next mod to the vehicle(tuner, suspension components, etc..)?
5) Are there any other concerns or tips that you guys care to mention?

Thanks for any and all replies/help.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Self Installed Suspension Lift. Thought?

Post by GunniPWguy » Mon May 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd say go for it if you have the time, tools, and place to do it. It's all just nuts and bolts anyways isn't it? :D Can't say much on tire pressure. Might want to do a chalk test to see what the best pressure is for full tire to tarmac contact. I run mine at 50psi on all 4's
Last edited by GunniPWguy on Mon May 05, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

slimstick
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by slimstick » Mon May 05, 2014 5:47 pm

GunniPWguy wrote:I'd say go for it if you have the time, tools, and place to do it. It's all just nuts and bolts anyways isn't it? :D
Yeah, I have the time, tools, driveway, and extra hands to help with install. Just wanted to see if I was over looking any aspect of installation pertaining to the PWs.

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Basic tools if your staying 4" or smaller lift. Should be no problem. No transfer case drop needed at all. Longer sway bar links that's it on sway bar but wouldn't even worry about that if you stay under 2". I would advice if your gonna lift it buy the suspension you really want even if you have to wait a while till you save up enough will be a lot happier. Now spend some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Save the money and lift it right the first time! Unless you are looking at a system they lets you upgrade slowly! (Carli thuren) and install yourself! Save the dough and buy more parts with it :p

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

RedMan
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by RedMan » Mon May 05, 2014 8:46 pm

slimstick wrote:Hi all. I recently purchased some new wheels and tires as I was in desperate need for new rubber. I've also am waiting on my 2" Mopar spacer to come in so I can level out the truck, hence my last thread. A few questions:

1) All of you guys with suspension kits on your trucks, are those self installed or are you taking them to shops for peace of mind(warranty)?
I do everything myself, but that is because my background experience/education is in drive train and suspension. I will say though if you are mechanically inclined then you will have no issues doing this yourself.
2) I'm mechanically inclined and would like to install my own suspension kit once I decide on and purchase one in order to save close to $1k in labor for an off-road shop to do. My only concern is the fact that we have the sway bar disconnect that to my knowledge only needs drop links, plus a transfer case drop?
DTProFab makes in my opinion the best sway bar links. They're also adjustable so that you can dial them in for best fit.
3) Since I'm asking questions and don't want to start another thread in order to cover everything, what's the recommended tire pressure for 35/1250R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I'm currently at 48F/44R but feel that may be high. I just had them installed last week and would like to run them correctly asap.
you have to do the chalk test, this is the easiest way to figure out what your best preasure is going to be. Let us know if you do not know what we're talking about?
4) Considering the only mod/additions to the truck have been the exhaust(Magnaflow), tires(mentioned above) and wheels(17" Method Standards), leaving everything else stock. What would opinions be on the next mod to the vehicle(tuner, suspension components, etc..)?
this depends on you and what you use your PW for. If you do an extensive amount of offroading or towing then I would suggest the locker by-pass. The next mod IMO would be H2 wheels, this will give you a better turning radio us and give you a little wider stance.
5) Are there any other concerns or tips that you guys care to mention?
just make sure you do your research regardless of what you do. There are drawbacks to everything you do to her and most of the time those drawbacks are that it will lead you to another mod :rofl:

Thanks for any and all replies/help.
Power Wagon Registry #47
- SCT Tuner by http://www.hemifevertuning.com/
- Thuren suspension upgrade (springs, shocks, and shackles)
- Thuren steering upgrade
- DT PROFAB Swaybar links (w/ +2" lift)
- Wattsenegger Front & Rear bumpers (1/4" walls)
- 35 12.50R 17 NITTO Mud Grapplers (second set)__- Snorkel
- Rock Rails_______________________- CB Radio
- RockCrusher Front Diff Cover_______- Tool box and all necessary tools
- diff locker manual switch's_______________ - Flow Master Series 50 Dual Exhaust
- Illuminated Ram Hood Emblem______- Rocker Panels Hurculined
- H2 Wheels w/moded hubcaps_______- Power Wagon Winch Strap
- Solar Battery Maintainer___________- Hide-Away Gun rack

"The" Wifes Car
"Faith" 2014 Charger RT Max

My Toy
"VISCO" 2013 196CC Tidewater

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:57 am

Despite everything being big and heavy, these trucks are very easy to work on. There are no specially tools needed, just assorted sockets from 8mm to 21mm, extensions, breaker bar, hammer, jacks, and big jack stands.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 am

DIY Sir! Or find another Power Wagon guy near you on here, chances are they'll be more than happy to lend a helping hand & experience...a few cold drinks should suffice. Warranty or recall is really the only reasons for letting someone else do the work.

slimstick
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by slimstick » Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am

I appreciate all the feedback so quickly. I'm wanting to go with a 4" lift and am considering either BDS or Zone...questions or comments? To my understanding, they're sister companies? Price and warranty are the only differences I'm aware of. I know Carli and Thuren are highly recommended but those lifts are not in my budget at the moment. Any objections to going with either of these lifts and adding Carli/Thuren parts in addition (track bar, steering stabilizer, etc...) down the road? My truck is a DD and can't off road as much as I'd like to considering there isn't much in Virginia to use it's purpose and potential.

myoung84
Vendor
Vendor

Post by myoung84 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 pm

I've got a great price on a full Carli system with King shocks. It's not a 4" lift but it will allow the use of 37s... Much better quality than BDS or Zone.
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 pm

slimstick wrote:I appreciate all the feedback so quickly. I'm wanting to go with a 4" lift and am considering either BDS or Zone...questions or comments? To my understanding, they're sister companies? Price and warranty are the only differences I'm aware of. I know Carli and Thuren are highly recommended but those lifts are not in my budget at the moment. Any objections to going with either of these lifts and adding Carli/Thuren parts in addition (track bar, steering stabilizer, etc...) down the road? My truck is a DD and can't off road as much as I'd like to considering there isn't much in Virginia to use it's purpose and potential.
I like my bds lift besides the base shocks are garbage I would upgrade to the fox 2.0's I wouldn't spend the extra dough on their rear leafs just block it the factory pw springs ride better if you want a full leaf spend the extra 200$ and buy carli. Their long arm lift has been pretty good the front end Deffinately rides better than short arm. However you'll have clearance issues with factory wheels like I did if you go into member builds you can find some pics and info on my 012 bds long arm lift. I liked how beefy everything was on the bds kit the springs aren't the best in the front also their a single rate I don't think they are nearly as good as the Carli/thuren springs. I kind I regret spending the dough on the bds lift just for the facts I get a loose feeling in the front going over bumps and slow dips kind of sounds like a bad ball joint or a loose swaybar link however everything's been checked and torqued a thousand times by now in hopes of finding it. I'm thinking the shocks are the noise (hoping) either that or the bds sleeves/bushings their arms come with are not fitted as tightly as they should be with the hardware they supply and my actual arms are moving a bit at slow speeds even though their tight as effff. If your looking at the short arm kit I would image it will clear larger tires better then mine with factory offset. Only issue is you won't get articulation as a la. Style kit. Unless your a 3rd gen which I think la kit is different with a straight arm long arm design. Bstefanic knows about 3G kit. On their warranty-I'm kinda cheesed about dealing with bds because I had about 3000km on my shocks and it looks like they were leaking and not stabilizing the truck anymore and they didn't do anything for me. The kit was only 3months old at that time. I emailed bds and never got a reply back about my clunking noises either just to ask if their was anything that I had missed installing the kit or anything that was common so I don't know could be cause I'm in canadiastan too....hahaha

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Mr.Smith » Tue May 06, 2014 12:29 pm

myoung84 wrote:I've got a great price on a full Carli system with King shocks. It's not a 4" lift but it will allow the use of 37s... Much better quality than BDS or Zone.
^^^Great Buy!!!

slimstick
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by slimstick » Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm

I checked out your build thread..truck looks great. Only difference is that I hv 35" Nittos on 17s. I'm thinking a short arm kit will suffice for now considering I don't hv a need for the LA where I'm currently located. Thanks for the feedback and your experience with the kit. I need to pull the trigger on a kit though, my 35s are rubbing the control arms slightly and would like to get rid of that problem.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 pm

slimstick wrote:I checked out your build thread..truck looks great. Only difference is that I hv 35" Nittos on 17s. I'm thinking a short arm kit will suffice for now considering I don't hv a need for the LA where I'm currently located. Thanks for the feedback and your experience with the kit. I need to pull the trigger on a kit though, my 35s are rubbing the control arms slightly and would like to get rid of that problem.
Tear it up!

if guns kill people
pencils mispell words