Rock rail help

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
trevor78

Rock rail help

Post by trevor78 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am

Ok guys I need some helpful ideas. I need to remove my factory rock rails to strip them and paint them, the salt this year has taking its toll on them. The problem happens when I go to remove the 9/16th nuts the bolts just spin and with no access hole to the head of the bolt there no easy way that I can see to get them off and back on. Have you guys found and easy way to do this.. :doh:
2006 power wagon quad cab (im keeping this one)
2007 BMW 530xi sold (cars just arent me)
2005 power wagon quad cab. silver. #633. sold
2005 quad cab CTD sold
2005 quad cab hemi sold
2003 guad cab hemi sold

w2dodge
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: Rock rail help

Post by w2dodge » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:44 pm

I have a set I havent installed...but to remove them..id have them on stands walk the r.r.s out and and use a vise grip to get the nuts off...and walk the r.r.s out more and wrap some tape around bolts so they dont drop into the frame..

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

They are a HUGE PITA to put on & prob 3x as hard to remove after exposed to salt & rust. I also have a brand new set that i have not installed yet. (Sorry-not for sale) Dealer was already in-the-know & told me there was no f'n way they were going to put them on unless i paid by-the-hour for EACH employee & that it would take 2-4 people an entire 8 hr day to install.

IMHO, the best way may be to try to tack-weld the bolt or nut (which ever applies) to the frame first. Originally the square part of the carriage bolts went into the square holes of the frame & that is what kept them from spinning. Impact wrenches can round out that square hole or the square part of the carriage bolt in an instant.

If i had it to do over, I would prob buy aftermarket sliders that bolt around the frame with u-bolts or something similar. After i have mine modified with nerf bar/tree side slider & some diamond plate (to look kinda like a running board) i was thinking of triple powder coat, then bed liner & spray the interior with some Fluid Film.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:34 pm

I don't even want to think about taking them off... As mentioned, they are a nightmare to install, and the removal process would be way worse.

Sent via gigawatt laser...
I'm just along for the ride...

TonkaPW
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by TonkaPW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 pm

TwinStick wrote: If i had it to do over, I would prob buy aftermarket sliders that bolt around the frame with u-bolts or something similar. After i have mine modified with nerf bar/tree side slider & some diamond plate (to look kinda like a running board) i was thinking of triple powder coat, then bed liner & spray the interior with some Fluid Film.

I got a set from White Knuckle Off Road and love them. Well worth the money I paid for them. :rockon:
2012 Power Wagon
White Knuckle Rock rails
2" lift
35" Duratracks
Thuren control arms

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:26 am

TonkaPW wrote:
I got a set from White Knuckle Off Road and love them. Well worth the money I paid for them. :rockon:
Good to hear, I just ordered a set last week
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:03 am

White knuckle all the way. I got the .188 DOM because I abuse my truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:02 pm

oh my. i would just let the rust away and NOT remove them.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

vanished
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by vanished » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Scuff and spray bed liner! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2010

Post by Will » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 am

I'd get some visqueen and tape and do the best I could to them and leave them on the truck!
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's (Moved to a new home)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 am

Once it warms up, there are acid based products that convert rust to a stable oxide that can be painted. After that, POR15 would be my choice as a base coat, and it can be applied in place with a brush.

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 am

Cactus Red wrote:Once it warms up, there are acid based products that convert rust to a stable oxide that can be painted. After that, POR15 would be my choice as a base coat, and it can be applied in place with a brush.

This would be my recommendation. There is no way I would have removed mine, ever. All I ever did was sanded them and sprayed bed liner on them. I usually sanded them down with boulders. 80 Grit would work too...... :D
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

Cactus Red

Post by Cactus Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:39 am

http://www.amazon.com/PPG-Rust-Converte ... B002ABL3PS

I've used a product similar to this on sliders I've made. Prior to painting, I apply it to the bare steel to acid etch it and convert any rust prior to paint. It works!