congratulations to me... with problems.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
chevellez28

congratulations to me... with problems.

Post by chevellez28 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 pm

New PW owner here. 05 with 208000 miles. I know. Call me crazy but by far my favorite truck so far. And with a replacement motor and transfer it runs like its off a show room but looks far from it. But on to my questions. I'm trying to get a better understanding and the search option wasn't helping. I'll start with this. From my understanding nearly everything that becomes a problem that just so happens to be connected somehow to the smart bar. The other day everything worked perfect except the bar which I've heard is a common thing to go out. I don't even have that dreaded stall with the lockers or anything. Anyway until yesterday my served 4wd light just seems to be going off and on randomly. Does this effect 4wd at all? I didn't get a chance to test. I'm assuming its bad/wet connectors and as I type this am in the process of cleaning and dielectric greasing everyone I can find. Hopefully that will help. I really want to test the flex in this smart bar. Also in the process I disassembled the bar and it is packed with what appears to be mud. But is it possibly filthy grease? Should I clean it all out and grease it and pray for the best? Or grease it at all? Also taking it apart I found there is no seal. Is there one from factory? Will a good coat of silicone fix that? Also as far as connectors are there any other options besides dielectric grease? I want them as protected as possible. Especially speed sensors, lockers, smart bar as it will ford water. Maybe someone's made a better aftermarket connector that's not a fortune and I won't need to cut wires. Thanks for any info.

Ducky's Dad
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Re: congratulations to me... with problems.

Post by Ducky's Dad » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Also as far as connectors are there any other options besides dielectric grease? I want them as protected as possible.
Someone will suggest this, so I'll start: Fluid Film sprayed on everything. Guys who live in wet climates with salted roads swear by it.

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeah I've heard about it before but not until this sight. What exactly is it?

MSCH2112
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2012

Post by MSCH2112 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 am

don't forget to clean the magnets in the lockers periodically.

mike
2017 Ram 2500 Longhorn Cummins
295 60 R20 Nitto Ridge Graplers
Gooseneck
Pace Edwards elec.Metal Jacket bed cover
yeah and running boards for the wifey
Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

SOLD 2012 Power Wagon Laramie
w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

SOLD 2005 Power Wagon w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill

2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition

2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL

2016 Volvo XC90

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:02 am

When you say there is no seal, do you mean on the electric harness connector? If so, that could be a/the major cause of your issues. There needs to be a seal around the connector where the 2 sides of the connector meet. If it is missing, you need to replace it or seal it in some other way. As you stated, that unit controls everything.

There is a thread on DT that covers greasing the Smartbar. There should be grease in the mechanical parts of the bar.

If all else fails, hardwire the lockers and replace the Smartbar electronics with an EVO manual Smartbar control. They market them for the Rubicon, but the bars are the same.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your PW as much as we do ours (most of the time LOL)!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 am

Ducky's Dad wrote:
Also as far as connectors are there any other options besides dielectric grease? I want them as protected as possible.
Someone will suggest this, so I'll start: Fluid Film sprayed on everything. Guys who live in wet climates with salted roads swear by it.

:rockon:

:lol:

Countryman93
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Countryman93 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 am

I had this issue awhile ago to mine from driving threw flood waters. I cleaned everything, greased and fluid filmed and it kept going off well one day I took it mudding in 4hi then 4lol and played with my lockers had my fun finished up and well ive never had a problem since lol it was a great way to fix it and everything to this day (so far) is working properly so maybe go have fun :mrgreen:
05 Dodge Powerwagon

315/70/17 Hancook ATMS on 17x8 black rock series wheels
bully dog gt tuner, high performance injectors, K&N intake
straight pipe exhaust, 5% tint front and sides with 20% rear
cobra cb with 4ft firesticks

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for the input. Yeah I guess I'll grease the $hit out of the bar now since I found nothing but mud and some rust. That's where I was asking about the seal. I'll try rtv for now. Can't hurt since it all
Ready doesn't work. There is a seal on the connector. Just not where the case splits in half. I knew someone would mention hardwiring the lockers but I'd personally like to keep them on the original switch. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. As far as cleaning the locker magnets what does that entail? Had a hell of a time just trying to get the connector off my rear one and still haven't so far. Do I need to take to diff cover off for all that? Thanks.

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 am

Also sorry to post again but I just got reminded of something. I also don't have the winch remote. I'm a cheap and don't feel like buying one either. I was wondering if there was a way to wire another switch to it? If anyone had a diagram or which pin on the winch goes where that would be great!

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm

chevellez28 wrote:Also sorry to post again but I just got reminded of something. I also don't have the winch remote. I'm a cheap and don't feel like buying one either. I was wondering if there was a way to wire another switch to it? If anyone had a diagram or which pin on the winch goes where that would be great!
First off, Welcome. Even though you say you are "cheap", your best bet would to get one of these instead...

.http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_103.htm

... there is nothing cheap about owning a PW. :lol:
2005 Power Wagon

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah certainly nothing cheap. I just prefer to fix than replace. In the army we were considered "glorified parts changers", not mechanics. Trying to change that. None the less I've got an update.so I tore my Sway bar down. Cleaned, greased, and sealed it and cleaned and greased the connectors. Very careful to try to not bend a pin. Still doesn't disconnect and my locker lights at flashing... tried resetting computer. No dice. So I guess its back at it after lunch. What suggestions now?

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 pm

On a lighter note that damn 02 sensor fixed itself I guess lol. Tried resetting the computer with it to but it always came back except this time.

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:01 pm

cruz wrote:
chevellez28 wrote:Also sorry to post again but I just got reminded of something. I also don't have the winch remote. I'm a cheap and don't feel like buying one either. I was wondering if there was a way to wire another switch to it? If anyone had a diagram or which pin on the winch goes where that would be great!
First off, Welcome. Even though you say you are "cheap", your best bet would to get one of these instead...

.http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_103.htm

... there is nothing cheap about owning a PW. :lol:
chevellez28 wrote:Yeah certainly nothing cheap. I just prefer to fix than replace. In the army we were considered "glorified parts changers", not mechanics. Trying to change that.
Yeah, I agree with that. It's not so much as a repair but more of a fix and upgrade all rolled into one.
Wireless sure comes in handy, especially when you alone.
2005 Power Wagon

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:18 pm

chevellez28 wrote:so I tore my Sway bar down. Cleaned, greased, and sealed it and cleaned and greased the connectors. Very careful to try to not bend a pin. Still doesn't disconnect and my locker lights at flashing... tried resetting computer. No dice. So I guess its back at it after lunch. What suggestions now?
Have you seen this from the FAQ's ...
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... rt=25#p517
2005 Power Wagon

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Well screw it. Every time you try to fix it its just more. Put grease on the lockers, sway bar, speed sensor, that brake box behind the battery, and the harness on the other side near the fire wall and my o2 sensors and its just throwing up every damn light on the dash. On top of that these cheap ass plugs just keep breaking. Guess I just got a regular old 2500 now. Cannot stand wiring.

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm

So even after I said screw it here's where I'm at now. It seems I got the sway bar disengaged. So the light says, can I trust that light? When I was trying to test it I didn't feel like I had any extra flex at all but I'm also very inexperienced in it and maybe its just not how I expected. None the less the serv 4wd light is on with lockers flashing. Everyone says clean the magnets so my question is how? Couldnt seem to find any how to's videos or write ups. Can you please help. I'm thinking this just might fix it.

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Welcome to the PW forum. Sounds like you are getting to see first hand what a royal PITA these trucks can be when the electronics aren't cooperating. As far as Locker magnet cleaning goes. There are a ton of threads over at Dodgetalk if you haven't looked there yet , I suggest you check it out. Power Wagon forum 3rd gen section. use the search tool and type locker magnet. The basic method is (I didn't do this and it cost me dearly) DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before you try to unplug any of the connectors! To clean the magnet you have to take the diff cover off, drain, and gently wipe any build up off the magnet and bottom of diff. replace diff cover and fill back up to specs. The basic method. Best of luck. I'll see if I can get some before and after photos of mine.
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

Countryman93
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by Countryman93 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Q-tips work really good for cleaning the magnets up fyi
also i was told if you use a cleaner make sure its safe for electrical? I don't know if its true but that's what i was told
05 Dodge Powerwagon

315/70/17 Hancook ATMS on 17x8 black rock series wheels
bully dog gt tuner, high performance injectors, K&N intake
straight pipe exhaust, 5% tint front and sides with 20% rear
cobra cb with 4ft firesticks

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the help. Try to do a little more research. Couldn't find anything earlier. Gotta do pinion seals too anyways so its coming soon. Just was wondering in the diff where the magnet was located. Hate taking off the cover. Can never seem to get them sealed back up... do you think it might be beneficial to put mor magnets on the cover or something to catch a little more besides the locker magnet catching it all?

cruz
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by cruz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:21 pm

You don't have to look too far, lots of good info in the Power Wagon FAQ's , 4th topic down.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... p?f=2&t=18
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... rt=50#p532
2005 Power Wagon

JBM Power Wagon
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by JBM Power Wagon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Be warned the electronics in the smart bar might be fried. If this is the case cleaning the magnets and greasing the connectors, although a good idea, will not fix your problem. You may need a new smart bar. That's where I agree with others in that it might be better to hardware the lockers and go with the Evo disconnect. Depending on the model year the smart bar can be VERY expensive!
Loving my 3/4 ton version of my old Jeep TJ!!!!!

VA_Wagon Man
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by VA_Wagon Man » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 am

Since you have an '05, Pitslave may be able to help you out if he's not too busy. Pitsalve rebulids '05 smartbars like nobodys business. Hit him up by Pm.
Oh and welcome to the forum. :D
Long Gone:
'05 Silver Power Wagon: # 869: Custom Rear Hitch & Bed Clearance Mod, Custom Front and Rear Tubular Bumpers, Airflow 3rd Gen Snorkel, Diablo Sport Predator, 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler Extreme Terrain, Flow Master 40, Mopar Rock Rails, Warn 15,000lb Winch,with Thermal Bypass, 4.56 Locking front and rear Diffs, Sway-bar disconnect, Uprgraded " T " steering linkage, Fully Skid plated with fore and aft bars, Carli Front Diff Protector, RockCrusher Rear Diff Pro, Bilstein 5100's with rear Custom Valving, Pit Slave Winch Strap, CajunPW PNP Locker By-Pass,

Follow Me, I'll Pull You Out...AFTER you pull me out......
Rausch Creek 2010 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Spring Run
Rausch Creek 2011 Fall Run
Rausch Creek 2012 Spring Run
Future Rausch Creek 2013 Spring Run June 22nd!

"There is no hunting, like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter." --Earnest Hemmingway--

GunniPWguy
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by GunniPWguy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 pm

05 smartbars aren't too expensive IMO. Think I paid right around $285.00 for mine. Part # 52121238AD. Here is a link to a thread on here. FYI the smartbar changed in 2006 and they are now way more expensive! Something outrageous like $1,900 ???

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... ?f=2&t=381
2005 Black Pow Wagon mods: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), New OEM track bar bushings, T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy), Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 35x12.5x17 Toyo AT2 Extremes, Customized H2 alloy wheels, Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Tri fold tonneau, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery. New front grille assembly. Magnesium Chloride under coating.

If you ever happen to see me running somewhere, you should start running too. :)

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Keep in mind, if there was a corrosion issue the plug needs to be repaired as well. There is no replacement plug for the smartbar as of now. There is a new wire harness available, however because it is integrated with the majority of the engine harness, it will cost $999. There is a lot of wire in there and the price also reflects the cost of copper. I have repaired the plug that goes into the smartbar in the past for a fraction of the cost.

sent from the 609 using this Tapatalk4 beta7 shit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

chevellez28

Post by chevellez28 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

thanks. I think I sorted out the issue with the bar. It Says its connecting and disconnecting as it should. Haven't had a real chance to test it out. I think my next thing is to clean the diffs and lockers and see if I can get my lockers back. And pray nothing else goes wrong. Glad I joined. Lots of help on here. Thanks all.