Rock sliders

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
DirtyOffroad
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 pm
Model Year: 2014

Rock sliders

Post by DirtyOffroad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Just making sure I do my due diligence before spending $2000 on White Knuckle sliders. are there any comparable options? I havent come up with much
2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon
1.5 Thuren - Front
Thuren Rear Track Bar
LED Headlights and Fog
37x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country M/T

Merrick Dodge/Chryler/Jeep Salesman - Long Island, New York.

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Comparable, that you can order on the internet... Not really. DamageWagon, dethloffmfg.com is planning to come out very soon with his own sliders. I’ll let him comment on that.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am
Location: Tucson AZ

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Adam_C » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm

I have the Randy Ellis ones. I like them, they are STOUT. Nothing against the WKs, but I wanted something different. Plus I got to support a "local" guy. These also tuck up higher than the WKs. However, not many folks willing to rivet into their trucks. Again, not for everybody.

Adam

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/DodgeCr ... sBodyArmor

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Mostly because they’re not real sliders.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4243
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Rock sliders

Post by RustyPW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Mostly because they’re not real sliders.
2X
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Rock sliders

Post by olyelr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 pm

DirtyOffroad wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 pm
Just making sure I do my due diligence before spending $2000 on White Knuckle sliders. are there any comparable options? I havent come up with much
$2k? Has the price jumped that much in a few years? Seems like I paid like $1200 plus shipping. That was with the thicker tube and powdercoat.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Easttnrhino
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm
Model Year: 2017
Location: athens tn

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Easttnrhino » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 pm

I have a set built buy local shop similar to WK . Saw the Randy Ellis after we got done building them. You do not loose as much clearance as mine. And I am curious why they are not really considered sliders.
Enjoying beautiful east TN

RPS1030
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:46 pm
Model Year: 2014
Location: Phoenix

Re: Rock sliders

Post by RPS1030 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Easttnrhino wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 pm
I have a set built buy local shop similar to WK . Saw the Randy Ellis after we got done building them. You do not loose as much clearance as mine. And I am curious why they are not really considered sliders.
Some people assume all body mounted options are steps despite the engineering and thought behind the design and material selection.
2016 Power Wagon Tradesman-White-37" Toyo RTs/Inyati Bedliner/Baja Designs Squadron Sports/CVT RTT/Metalline Fab Bed Rack
FToy #43

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Rock sliders

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 pm

I consider body mounted anything to not fall into the category of ‘rock sliders’ because I don’t trust the body mount hardware to handle what I expect from real rock sliders.

My prototype rails survived my truck coming off a waterfall at 15mph when we were grossing over 10,000lbs and we centered the truck perfectly on the rails. The main rail was 2”x3”x.250” in a diamond-on-point configuration and it bent up 1.5” in the center on the side I was testing fewer mounts on. That was NOT intentional but shit happens, which is why we run rock sliders. I’ve made a ton of changes to them since then and have a clamp system in testing that is unlike anything out there that I’ve seen on any platform. Even still I’m considering adding two optional crossmembers to go under the frame for those guys who really beat on their trucks. I’ll throw some details up when I’m happy with them. I’ll be running the new prototypes in Moab and if everything goes well I’ll release them immediately afterwards.

User avatar
Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am
Model Year: 2016
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Reloaderguy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm

The RED armor isn't thick enough to be anything more than light cosmetic protection. The way they are made looks perfect for a desert climate but they look like road salt will eat them alive. So far none of the slides have really turned me on.
Best Year Power Wagon

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 pm

RPS1030 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm
Some people assume all body mounted options are steps despite the engineering and thought behind the design and material selection.
Sure has nothing to do with the above statements. :roll: or possibly material thickness, mounting location or coverage area that is actually provided.

It's been discussed ad nauseam, I'd consider them "lite" rocker protection and not rock rails in the least.

Anyone who wants to prove me wrong, you're welcome to come to PWIM on 33's with those and demonstrate on a few select trails.

:popcorn:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am
Location: Tucson AZ

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Adam_C » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Mostly because they’re not real sliders.
Interesting....what are they? I’ve dropped onto my driver side and was fully protected....would assume they would slide over rocks just as well as the WKs? Haven’t tested them fully since I use my Jeep for the hairy stuff. Would really love to go to Moab and test them, however, since I might be getting rid of my truck, can’t risk them not protecting me like the almighty WKs :lol: I fully agree might not be suited for those that live in inclement weather. Fortunately not something I worry about in southern AZ. Looking forward to see what Dethloff comes up with :rockon: Will be nice to see other options.

Adam
Last edited by Adam_C on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Adam_C wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm
MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Mostly because they’re not real sliders.
Interesting....what are they?
NFab calls these Rock Rails:
https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/R ... _418400047

what are they?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am
Location: Tucson AZ

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Adam_C » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 pm

MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm
Adam_C wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm
MikeKey wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Mostly because they’re not real sliders.
Interesting....what are they?
NFab calls these Rock Rails:
https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/R ... _418400047

what are they?
Hahahaha, nowhere near the same thing. Believe me, got rid of my nfab steps with the quickness. Key word, steps.

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm
Model Year: 2013

Re: Rock sliders

Post by 13powerwagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Seems like y’all have had this argument before...


http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4247
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, control arms, 2.5 Kings and axle truss. AEV salta wheels, 285/70/17 stt pros, white knuckle sliders, purple cranium dif covers.

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011

Re: Rock sliders

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 pm

It’s not the ‘sliding’ part, it’s the ‘slamming’ part

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am
Location: Tucson AZ

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Adam_C » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 pm

13powerwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Seems like y’all have had this argument before...


http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4247
I knew this seemed like deja vu :lol:

KevinABQ
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: Albuquerque

Re: Rock sliders

Post by KevinABQ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm

The trick with jeeps where they cut the rockers away and weld in DOM tubing seems pretty effective, but I’m not going there.
2018 White Rambox, Diamondback HD bed cover, White Knuckle sliders, Carli and Purple Cranium diff guards, masterpull 11mm superline

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 pm

DPP did that. I wanted to do it. And DamageWagon and I looked at it, and it’s A LOT of body work.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm
Model Year: 2013

Re: Rock sliders

Post by 13powerwagon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 pm

There is always aluminess sliders, but they mount to the body like steps.
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, control arms, 2.5 Kings and axle truss. AEV salta wheels, 285/70/17 stt pros, white knuckle sliders, purple cranium dif covers.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4243
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Rock sliders

Post by RustyPW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am

13powerwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Seems like y’all have had this argument before...


http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... f=2&t=4247
Yeah, we had this argument on the old DodgeTalk forum too.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar
BoldAdventure
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:23 am
Model Year: 2015
Location: Nomadic
Contact:

Re: Rock sliders

Post by BoldAdventure » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am

It's surprising, no one else really makes anything considering how many options are out there for Tacoma's. But that's the dilemma in the fullsize market. It's not just us. I run fullsize overland and hear the same thing from Ford and Chevy guys. Very few options.

Just out of curiosity; would most prefer fully built and ready to install or weld it yourself for 1/3rd the cost?
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 4243
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Model Year: 2008
Location: Brownsville Pa.

Re: Rock sliders

Post by RustyPW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am

13powerwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 pm
There is always aluminess sliders, but they mount to the body like steps.
The problem with the Aluminess sliders is that the aluminum is a soft metal and it will gouge when sliding over rocks. Where the steel sliders will take a lot more punishment.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper , PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli G2 Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, 14,000 lb Pul-Pal, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, Carli Control Arms, Thuren 3" SoftRide Springs, Thuren Rear Shackles, MagnaFlow Muffler, Crown Stainless Brake Lines, MORE STUFF COMIN'.

Moab '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18,
Russ NRA Benefactor Member

13powerwagon
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 pm
Model Year: 2013

Re: Rock sliders

Post by 13powerwagon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 am

The aluminess sliders are made out of steel. Their main flaw is they mount to the same spot the factory steps do, I believe Ram4roks had them and ended up ripping the mounting holes from repeated abuse, if I remember correctly.
2013 tradesman
Thuren 2” coils, track bar, control arms, 2.5 Kings and axle truss. AEV salta wheels, 285/70/17 stt pros, white knuckle sliders, purple cranium dif covers.

Adam_C
50_Posts
50_Posts
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 am
Location: Tucson AZ

Re: Rock sliders

Post by Adam_C » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 am

MikeKey wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 am
Just out of curiosity; would most prefer fully built and ready to install or weld it yourself for 1/3rd the cost?
Im always down for saving money. When you say one third the cost, after finding a competent welder to fab them up, what do you figure the price difference would be? Would it be comparable to fully built ready to install set?

Adam

Post Reply