Brake peddle fade to floor normal use.

If it's about Power Wagons, all generations, this is where it'll go. This is the original PWR Forum Power Wagon Technical Discussion Section. And this includes everything that doesn’t fit in any one of the other categories related to the truck goes here!
garyrobert80
Model Year: 2012

Brake peddle fade to floor normal use.

Post by garyrobert80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Hello everyone I'm not new here I had to create a new account. But anyway I'm having a issue with my 12 powerwagon. I hit the brakes and the truck does stop but the pedal sinks almost to the floor. And stays there the truck does stay stopped. . Iv already had the front brakes and calipers changed bled gallons of fluid through them. The ram dealer did the calipers and bled again and they are telling me this is normal. It does not feel normal to me. Does anyone else have this issue? You can't even fit a toe behind the pedal where it sinks to. 48,000 miles. Appreciate any input.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Re: Brake peddle fade to floor normal use.

Post by Pit Slave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:57 pm

What is your old account? I can reset it if you like.

Yeah, I smoked 'em, sometimes you just gotta #sendit
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:30 pm

I have a 2011, we have the same exact parts. That's a lie if they're telling you that's normal. I think these trucks have great brakes, I don't know that I've ever pushed that herd on my pedal. If you have new pads and rotors, you either still have an air bubble in the system or you have a blister on one of your brake lines. The solutions are to either power-bleed your system (I think Harbor Freight still sells a pretty hand power bleeder with reservoir) or you need to replace your brake lines, usually the front but could be any. A free way to check is to have someone push on the brakes with the engine on and visually inspect every rubber brake line and look for any form of bulge.

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

I can't remember what my old username was. I havnt been on in awhile. I'm bringing the truck to the dealer again tomorrow. I guess I'll see what another one does thanks.

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 pm

I just checked no bulges in any lines.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Sounds like master cylinder perhaps on its way to heaven. I just swapped mine, it's pretty easy really. Or possibly the abs pump needs to be bled with a scan tool, most techs will not do that ever unless they replace the unit, but it can get air trapped in it.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Yeah I asked all the questions about the master and bleeding the abs. But they kept dismissing it. And in the end they said they did bleed the abs. But I don't know if they used a scan tool. I also just inherited a six inch and a 4 inch 1/4 inch extenion they left in my hood. But I may give them back.

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by RustyPW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Sounds like the master cylinder giving up the ghost or ABS issues.
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:55 am

I agree, start with the master cylinder, it's probably bypassing internally. That's the fading to the floor that you feel.

On another note: The weirdest low brake pedal problem I ever saw was on a vehicle that had just received new calipers and the tech just couldn't get the air to bleed out, even after gallons of fluid. Upon closer inspection, I showed him that the calipers had been installed on the wrong sides (left-right, right-left) causing the bleeders to be at the bottom while the air was trapped at the top. :doh:

Good luck!

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Well I brought it to the shop today they had it all day had a so called master tech check and again said it was normal. I still have brakes but the pedal still continues to the floor after stopped. I'm at a loss as to what these techs are doing with my truck while I'm not standing there.

verdesardog
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by verdesardog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm

brake pedal to the floor is NOT normal.....ever :angry:
2006 Big Horn 2500 Ram CTD. IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE

RustyPW
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by RustyPW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Retired BLM Rig wrote:I agree, start with the master cylinder, it's probably bypassing internally. That's the fading to the floor that you feel.

On another note: The weirdest low brake pedal problem I ever saw was on a vehicle that had just received new calipers and the tech just couldn't get the air to bleed out, even after gallons of fluid. Upon closer inspection, I showed him that the calipers had been installed on the wrong sides (left-right, right-left) causing the bleeders to be at the bottom while the air was trapped at the top. :doh: :lol:

Good luck!
Bleeding calipers that have 2 bleeders on each is fun. :lol:

Installed a set of rebuilt calipers on a ferd. Bleeding went ok. Went on a test drive. Hit the brake pedal, and had the steering wheel whip out of my hand and a quick left hand turn. :jawdrop: Back in the shop. Disassemble the right caliper. Found fresh metal shavings wedged between the piston and cylinder wall. :shock:
PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC

My build thread. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2826 :cash: :cash:

Moab '09, '10, '12, '14.
Rausch Creek - Summer '10, Spring-Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13, Summer '14, Summer '15, Summer '16, Summer '17, Summer '18, Summer '20, Summer '22,
AOAA Summer '19.

Russ
NRA - Benefactor, Golden Eagle. :lockedandloaded:

Retired BLM Rig
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Retired BLM Rig » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 am

garyrobert80 wrote:Well I brought it to the shop today they had it all day had a so called master tech check and again said it was normal. I still have brakes but the pedal still continues to the floor after stopped. I'm at a loss as to what these techs are doing with my truck while I'm not standing there.
Does this problem occur every time you step on the brakes or just once in a while? Do any dash warning lights come on when the pedal sinks to the floor? Have you gone on a test drive with someone to demonstrate the problem? Each person has their own driving style, some people hit the pedal hard and fast and others apply it slow and gentle. Usually a master cylinder with an internal bypass will reveal itself first under slow, light steady pedal application. If you hit the pedal hard and fast, the pressure swells the rubber seal cup and stops the bypass, but as soon as you let off a little pressure it starts to sink to the floor.

If the above is not the case and it happens every time regardless of how you apply the pedal, then it could be that the ABS dump valve is leaking fluid into the accumulator chamber. Once you release the pedal a spring loaded piston pushes the fluid back out into the system and the cycle repeats itself the next time.

You of all people should know what's normal and what's abnormal for your truck. Don't believe the dealer, they're not infallible.
Tell them that if they can't fix the problem, you'll take it somewhere else that can and that you'll be back with documentation for a refund.

Tell them to make it right or they can expect a visit from the :winchmob:. :o

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 am

The problem does occur Every time at least I see it that way. Sometimes it sinks faster then other times. It stops pretty good. I even took it on a gravel road and made it engage the anti locks like twenty times. But the issue still remains after stopped pedal keeps going down till it darn there bottoms out. Even sitting still you can feel the point where the breaks contact then under constant pressure that doesn't have to be hard it sinks. At this point iv run out of local dealers.

garyrobert80

Post by garyrobert80 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 am

I'll add I'm one of those types of drivers who eases into them iv never panick stopped that I recall. So I can't remember if it did this before or after the new front breaks. Problem is you don't have to continue pushing down for the truck to stay stopped at a light or what not. You can sit there after you've hit the stop point leave your foot in that spot and brakes hold. But continue pushing in any kind of pressure light hard doesn't matter it sinks another 6 or 7 inches then stops still holding the truck. I have not tried this on a steep incline yet. Thanks all iv been trying to work it out I'm still bleeding it bringing it to shops but I'm pulling my hair out over it. It concerns me because what if I let someone else drive it and it just fails.