gun45boat's Build - 2004 Ram 2500 "rock crawler expedition build"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Re: boob here with a built Dodge ram Expedition rock cralwer

Post by gun45boat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:03 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! This conversion was a MAJOR pain in the ass..... about 30 hours of labor/fabricating to make everything work flawlessly... and man what a HUGE difference in suspension flex and steering feel..

Went with the full Feedback and self centering orbital valve (about $300 more than a regular orbital valve) and a 2.5" PSC RAM IT is a MAJOR difference and brought everything high off the ground and out of the rocks. LOVE the self centering feature....

MAJOR Fabrication to make this work.... It took me longer to do this than Truggy'ing and triangulating the rear suspension.....

after some back breaking work, and back to the drawing board 3 times. I finally found a way to make everything work while using the stock location of the factory track bar, under full flex on both sides.. .... The results are fantastic, and driving on the road is completely doable, as the feedback is impressive...

Enjoy the pics, and if anyone wants to go full hydro, please let me know, as I found all the "To do's and what NOT to do's) Got all the measurements and lengths/distances and all the hard shit worked out in case any of you want to do it to there's and save a ton of time and cursing.. :doh: :doh:
Attachments
full3.JPG
full2.JPG
full1.JPG

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:05 pm

It looks a little crooked in the pics,,, but the rear passenger tire was half full, thus making the truck body lean... AND the front diff skid got hit HARD by a rock and shoved itself over a bit making it look funny.. ;) ;)

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:03 pm

That looks fucking fantastic gunny!!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:42 am

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

Mr.Smith
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Mr.Smith » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 am

My erection may last longer than 4 hours...

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:39 am

LOLOLOL Thanks... I will admit,,, My vagina was a little sore after this install.... Was a real bitch....

Thanks for the thumbs up

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:59 am

OK.. My stock T-case is giving up the ghost.... Should I go with an Atlas 2, or stick with another stock unit? The stock unit has endured STUPID amounts of abuse, and frankly I feel that I should stick with what works and keep at least some of the Mopar Drivetrain.... I feel that another NV (stock unit) should go back in since it has truly held up over stupid amounts of abuse. Any thoughts?

azracer
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by azracer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

gun45boat wrote:OK.. My stock T-case is giving up the ghost.... Should I go with an Atlas 2, or stick with another stock unit? The stock unit has endured STUPID amounts of abuse, and frankly I feel that I should stick with what works and keep at least some of the Mopar Drivetrain.... I feel that another NV (stock unit) should go back in since it has truly held up over stupid amounts of abuse. Any thoughts?
X2 The stock one really is a good unit. The only thing they need is SYE kit like is used on an OEM ford unit.
My build 2009 3G
http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/vie ... =13&t=2305

Beginners reading list:
1) Quigley’s Anglo-American Establishment – 354 pages http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/the_a ... shment.pdf
2) Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution by Antony C. Sutton 165 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... tion-5.pdf
3) Wall Street & the Rise of Hitler by Antony C. Sutton 148 pages https://www.voltairenet.org/IMG/pdf/Sut ... Hitler.pdf
4) Wall Street and FDR by Antony C. Sutton 177 pages http://sandiego.indymedia.org/media/2007/02/125049.pdf
5) Dishonest Money by Joseph Plummer 175 pages http://joeplummer.com/dishonest-money.html
6) None Dare Call it Conspiracy by Gary Allen 197 pages http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/libra ... y_1971.pdf
David Rockefeller: Memoirs (The story of traitors)
http://www.devvy.com/pdf/2006_November/ ... rnment.pdf

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Yea. I am running the stock slip yoke, and it has held up great, and is balls tough, I think the bearings are giving up in it, anytime I drive faster than 50mph is makes all sorts of complaining (bearing wise) Plus it is a light-weight unit, and it bolts right up (which is a plus) So no driveshaft changes. But damn, I ran an atlas in my last buggy, and I LOVED that extra low shifter for crawling... But what is that old saying "if it aint broke, dont fix it" certainly would love to have a 400:1 (or more) crawl ratio..... But then again, I'm not much of a "crawler" LOL Does the SYE kit take some of the "strain" off the rear output shaft bearing?

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 pm

I can't see it reducing strain. It still holds the weight of everything. Bearings gonna wear however it wants. But they last a long time and are tough. X2 on the 271 replacement
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:51 pm

I recently picked up a nv271 rebuild kit AND sye parts from transfer case express for about 3-400 shipped. I've been having the same dilemma whether to keep the 271 or get something more hardcore. It's a stupid strong case and light weight relatively speaking, I can't see an atlas holding up any better really, but front digs and 4 speeds are pretty fucking tempting lol. If I were to do something other than factory it would probably be a HERO transfer case which absolutely dwarfs the atlas. It's survived everything ultra4 and rock bouncers have been able to throw at it. Only problem is 4-5 grand is a hard pill to swallow
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Colibri wrote:I recently picked up a nv271 rebuild kit AND sye parts from transfer case express for about 3-400 shipped. I've been having the same dilemma whether to keep the 271 or get something more hardcore. It's a stupid strong case and light weight relatively speaking, I can't see an atlas holding up any better really, but front digs and 4 speeds are pretty fucking tempting lol. If I were to do something other than factory it would probably be a HERO transfer case which absolutely dwarfs the atlas. It's survived everything ultra4 and rock bouncers have been able to throw at it. Only problem is 4-5 grand is a hard pill to swallow
I'd stay with the 271. I had this debate for a few years and between parts and availability when your 2000km from home.....I'll stay with the 271. If it was a dedicated rig then hell yea. Atlas that baby. But for a all round reliable I'd stay 271. It is pretty much the strongest tcase in a pickup. I just did a rebuild. Super easy. And If I needed a case I know that there's gonna be one or 2 in nearly every salvage yard. Also why I didn't go the sye way. Just in case
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

bstefanic
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2006

Post by bstefanic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Colibri wrote:I recently picked up a nv271 rebuild kit AND sye parts from transfer case express for about 3-400 shipped. I've been having the same dilemma whether to keep the 271 or get something more hardcore. It's a stupid strong case and light weight relatively speaking, I can't see an atlas holding up any better really, but front digs and 4 speeds are pretty fucking tempting lol. If I were to do something other than factory it would probably be a HERO transfer case which absolutely dwarfs the atlas. It's survived everything ultra4 and rock bouncers have been able to throw at it. Only problem is 4-5 grand is a hard pill to swallow
Have you ordered a ds yet? Highly recommend Tom woods, however specify that you want a long travel shaft...which I did not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old '06 PW (Sold)- BDS Long Arm Kit, 37" Interco M16's, ATX Cornice Wheels, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs

'13 Cummins - 4.56s, front ARB locker, Thuren Alien Arms, Stage 6 king 3.0's, LT leafs, 40"s on Trail Ready's

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Nope, haven't ordered a shaft yet, not even sure if I'm actually going to do the sye. What diameter and wall thickness tube? And what u-joints did you get? I have a tom woods shaft on one of the wranglers and it's a nice unit just didn't realize they did larger truck shafts.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:32 am

Well Damn, It is easy to rebuild the case? If its that easy, I might just go ahead and pull the case and rebuild it, rather than buying a used one somewhere. I agree with you about these T-cases being everywhere. God I would love to have front dig,,,,,, I miss that from my last buggy.... Lightweight and strong is where I need to focus, so I think I am going to stick with the 271 and rebuild the current unit.. Maybe when this one finally gives up after this rebuild I will go with a Hero/Atlas for the front dig way;)

Any rebuild kits/companies better than others?

Thanks for the advise from everyone, and great ideas.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 am

Transfercases.com = transfer case express, online they are only set up for ordering reman units but if you give them a call they're super helpful and are happy to put together whatever you want/need. Prices are very reasonable and customer service was great.

Tha nv271 is damn near identical to a jeep np231 just much much bigger lol. It's very easy to rebuild, no special tools needed.

I'm with you gunny, when my stocker gives up the ghost it's front dig time!!!
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 am

thank you. I ordered up the rebuild kit from them,,,,, VERY nice people to deal with. Thanks again for the advise.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 pm

I am sure that I told you all that my t-case has been "complaining" So I order up a rebuild kit..... and then there is an event in Hardrock ORP in Florida. I say to myself "it should hold up for one more run.....

OOPS!!!!!!!

Full throttle with spray :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
image1.JPG

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:19 pm

but it landed really nicely from a 5' jump at the top of the rock pile.... Just didn't let off the throttle in time.....

I have to admit. that T-case has been severely abused for 4 straight years under some VERY HARSH conditions :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: I am damn proud of her...

Got another on its way from Texas from a "donor" 07 Ram with 67K for $540 shipped :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 am

Got any video of that? Sounds like a damn good time. :rockon:

Do they have any sort of upgrades for the T-case?
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 am

Fuckin BOOOM is right! Nice work by you!
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:22 am

Hot damn! You just gained entry into a fairly elite club lol. Not many have grenaded a 271 and probably no one else with a hemi :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The only "upgrade" I'm aware of is a sye from a ford 271. Otherwise your only options are cryogenic processing and REM polishing, perhaps shot peining or WPC treatment or some mix of those options. You can extend its life for a few hundred here and there, but in reality a case every 4 years is pretty damn good considering lol
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:50 am

Nice job!! That is definatly elite status. Personally I'd stay with the stock setup. You've abused it and know what it can take. Sye will let u stay In front wheel drive but so will a properly fitting cap from a brake clean can and some tape. Believe it or not that's how an old Chrysler tech does it and had me use to see if my rear drive shaft was causing problems. Just gotta keep the oil in.

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Lol that's fuckin crazy^^ I hope mine doesn't do this.... We still have yet to determine if I have a bent input or output shaft on my 271 :/ have you thought about cryo treating your stuff?! I had my shafts done as well as new chain.... Supposed to be really good for the chain and a 300% increase in strength on trans shafts...

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"

2wagons1driveway
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

boob here with a built Dodge ram Expedition rock cralwer

Post by 2wagons1driveway » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm

gun45boat wrote:I am sure that I told you all that my t-case has been "complaining" So I order up a rebuild kit..... and then there is an event in Hardrock ORP in Florida. I say to myself "it should hold up for one more run.....

OOPS!!!!!!!

Full throttle with spray :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!
and btw what happened internally looks like chain skipped a tooth???

Sent from Canada
if guns kill people
pencils mispell words
cars make people drive drunk
and spoons made rosie o'donnel fat

"The one thing you realize when you aquire your trade standard is you realistically don't know Anything"