gun45boat's Build - 2004 Ram 2500 "rock crawler expedition build"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: boob here with a built Dodge ram Expedition rock cralwer

Post by BigRed2007 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Uh huh....is it like shattered shattered or can you get large peices out?
Flame Red 07 PW - BIG RED
White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders, Volant Intake, LightForce 210 HID x2, HiLift Mounted on Tool Box, Locker Bypass, OBA - EXTREMAIRE Magnum, High Idle, 315/70/17 MTR/Ks, ARB Front Bumper, Synthetic Winch Rope, 3000 Watt Inverter, Carli Performance 2.0 Front end and rear shocks, DT PROFAB Steering brace and Steering Stabilizer,Carli Front Diff Gaurd, 12v Fridge Freezer, Dual Optima Yellow Tops, AirFlow Snorkle, Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe, 2x50W Solar Panels, DOR Control Arms.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Shattered.....Shattered..... I tried to get some of the pieces out but they are lodged in there, I think I need to jack up the rear of the truck and spin the rear axle in reverse, then forwards to help dislodge the large pieces. Chomoly axles usually do a CLEAN and even break,,,,, this is the first time I have had a regular axle shatter like this, as I usually run Chromo in my axles.. lesson learned.... I will let ya'll know how this goes... When it Popped,,, it sounded like I threw a driveshaft.. I'll keep posted with pics..

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BigRed2007 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh man...hopefully it didn't score the tube too bad as well...this isn't a great situation...not that you hadn't figured that out. If spinning it in reverse doesn't loosen it up you might be looking at tearing the whole axle down....again at least you're close to your tools and your shop
White Knuckle Offroad Rock Sliders, Volant Intake, LightForce 210 HID x2, HiLift Mounted on Tool Box, Locker Bypass, OBA - EXTREMAIRE Magnum, High Idle, 315/70/17 MTR/Ks, ARB Front Bumper, Synthetic Winch Rope, 3000 Watt Inverter, Carli Performance 2.0 Front end and rear shocks, DT PROFAB Steering brace and Steering Stabilizer,Carli Front Diff Gaurd, 12v Fridge Freezer, Dual Optima Yellow Tops, AirFlow Snorkle, Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe, 2x50W Solar Panels, DOR Control Arms.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:23 pm

OK.... 6 hours later and 2 bloody knuckles. I got the first splinter ball out of the neck of the axle.... then the hard part hit.. Apparently the axle shattered in 3 different areas. Looked as though the first POP was the outer, I drilled through with drill bits to loosen those shards up to get them loose and out,,, THEn the hard part.. the second shatter (about 8" in from the neck) expanded inside the nose cone of the hub... Like REALLY expanded to the point that it was just not coming out no matter how hard I hit the pipe from the drivers side, then behind that ball,, was another shatter of the shaft but it was loose in pieces..

The hard part was the second expanded ball that lodged inside the nose, after drilling a center hole into the shaft, I took a 1 5/8' hole saw (which is the EXACT inside diameter of the nose tube, and perfectly cut the slab of melted metal out enough to dislodge it from the drivers side with a long pipe and a sledge hammer.. nuff' said. I honestly almost gave up on it at the 5th hour, but then it hit me to run the hole saw on a 10" extension to get it out... thank god,,, I thought I completely smoked my housing.,..

Thank god it happened here and not in Moab...
Attachments
z.JPG

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BigRed2007 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Yowser...glad you got it out

KE0BZG
WQUY939

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Nice work I use to own a Dodge M-37 I wheeled with a 350 Chevy and granny 4 speed that I broke axles constantly in. I know how much of a pain in the ass that is lol. Your the first Hemi ( STROKER on the spray) that I have heard breaking an axle. I know a bunch of hopped up diesels that have broken some but not in multiple places either. So great job on the destruction. I bet it sounded cool when it happened lol. Glad u got it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk/hopefully somewhere Offroad!

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:46 pm

If you don't mind how much were the axle shafts and did you buy them from Yukon or someone else. also what length were they it says cut to length. I know I want some but won't be able to swing it right now with Moab coming up. Thanks

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Yes... thanks It was an absolute BITCH to get it out..

You wont believe where I got my shafts from>>>>>>>>>>>> Auto Zone is a YUKON distributer!!!!!!!! I know right,,,,, Best prices around too.... Got each shaft for $368.73 WITH FREE NEXT DAY SHIPPING!!!!! for the YAWC11.5-30-40 shafts. YES they are cut to length. My axles measure out at 36.75" on both sides

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Wow that is pretty amazing autozone wow.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 am

Sweet.....
Attachments
yukon1.JPG

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BigRed2007 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:23 am

Nice.

KE0BZG
WQUY939

old sole mopar
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by old sole mopar » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Mac tools used to sell a large telescopic magnet that was great for getting broken axle pieces on tank trucks. Might be worth it for you if you can find it.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor
Location: Sandy, Utah.. Moab, Jersey, Space Station, Baja.....

Post by Pit Slave » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 pm

gun45boat wrote:Sweet... Thanks PIT.. Way better than $1300

Figured this was a "fitting" bumper sticker LOL :rofl: :rofl:
Hey bud, just ordered said cooler and can say that you could just about order TWO of them for that price! If you want to you can call CJC Offroad and talk to Paul (x700). He's the one who helped me get it. Tell him Pit Slave sent ya. Might be able to get it all done in a batch.
Nothing's more dead than a horse in a glue bottle.Image

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
John Adams - 1826

I guess you could say I'm a bit off center.....:D

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:52 am

Pit Slave wrote:

Hey bud, just ordered said cooler and can say that you could just about order TWO of them for that price! If you want to you can call CJC Offroad and talk to Paul (x700). He's the one who helped me get it. Tell him Pit Slave sent ya. Might be able to get it all done in a batch.

Cooler? I am confused... You talking about the Radiator for the Hemi?

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:53 am

old sole mopar wrote:Mac tools used to sell a large telescopic magnet that was great for getting broken axle pieces on tank trucks. Might be worth it for you if you can find it.
Thanks for the heads up,, I used a smaller magnet on a 3' flex line to get out all of the metal, it did a pretty good job... Just to be safe, I am going to run it for a few miles, then swap out the gear lube to make sure I got out anything that was left. Thanks again.

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:30 am

gun45boat wrote:
Pit Slave wrote:

Cooler? I am confused... You talking about the Radiator for the Hemi?
Yes I meant Griffin radiator!.... I was really tired when I typed last night! lol I was looking at arb coolers and typing a reply at the same time! lol

John Adams - 1826

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:35 pm

LOL I have been there many times... lol

PIT,,,, Do you have pictures of it installed? I need to get off my ass and get a larger radiator, especially since I plan on flogging the F$%K out of my rig in Moab... WOuld enjoy knowing that everything bolts together etc.etc. before ordering.. Thanks man,,,

Pit Slave
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Pit Slave » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:42 pm

gun45boat wrote:LOL I have been there many times... lol

PIT,,,, Do you have pictures of it installed? I need to get off my ass and get a larger radiator, especially since I plan on flogging the F$%K out of my rig in Moab... WOuld enjoy knowing that everything bolts together etc.etc. before ordering.. Thanks man,,,
No pics of it yet, I just ordered it so it will be about 2 weeks before I see it.

John Adams - 1826

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:09 pm

I need some help here.. And I know that you all have experience with this so here goes... I need to install a sway bar kit in the rear (either Anti-Rock, or the Ruff Stuff kit)

as you can see from the pictures, the rear flexes like STUPID, BUT,,, it does not transfer the weight to allow the front axle to flex as good as it is capable of.

with that said,

What is the difference (looking at these photos) would be the best way to mount the sway bar kit???

option 1: Mount the torsion bar assembly on the rear of the tube chassis(behind the rear axle) with the arms facing towards the front of the truck?

option 2: Mount the torsion bar assembly FORWARD of the rear axle (towards the front near the fuel tank) and have the arms facing the rear?

With the above said, How would it effect the body roll of the truck going option 1 compared to option 2? which would be the better way to set this up? Would Option 1 cause more stress to the rear of the truggy conversion than Option 2? or would it help the body roll better if the bar was mounted in Option 2?? The front of this rig is very heavy, and that being said, if Option 1 was used, would it work better if the bar was mounted in the rear, and be able to transfer more "energy" to the front of the rig?

I would really appreciate anyone past experiences with the design, with explanations, so that I can understand it better. Thanks in advance for your help..
Attachments
sway1.JPG
sway2.JPG

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:35 am

Wow - the amount of flex you have is awesome. I don't have a substantial amount of experience in the field but I can share from an engineering perspective... Any time you add a sway bar you stiffen up the chassis and potentially reduce the amount of overall flex you have. Since a majority of your weight is in the front and the front suspension is stiffer, your body will tend to track and roll with the front axle if you don't add some small amount of rear sway bar resistance. The trick will be finding the right resistance rear bar to impact the front suspension without killing your awesome flex. As far as options 1 & 2, mounting the bar behind the axle with the bars facing forward will definately add more stress to the truggy conversion because the frame attachments will have a longer moment arm on the support frame. (Sorta like the cheater bar concept adding more pressure)
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks for the response, I agree with your reasoning and your entire statement... Good news is that I am taking this rig to a buddy's off road shop that specializes in buggies, and 4/3 links and he is going to put his hands on it, and dial it in... after sending him pictures, and spending time on the phone with him, he def. recommended that the sway bar be mounted on the rear with the arms facing front. But he stressed that the "torsion" bar will have to be custom made to tailor to my rigs platform (just like all the trophy trucks) and the good news, is that RuffStuff specialties makes Torsion bars to spec. Cant wait to learn from this dude!!!!

05PWrockcrawler
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by 05PWrockcrawler » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:40 pm

I would say arms facing forward 100%. Now bar behind or forward I've had both but from understanding it has more to due with weight, flex and your suspension setup. No expert by far but sounds like you found the right guy. glad your doing all the leg work for me on this ROFLAO. Can't wait to see this beast in person.

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Had a great weekend. Flopped it once (tried to recover as it was going over, but no luck) DEF> needs Sway bars in the rear..... Friday night got rowdy with the crew,,,,, Needless to say, the PINK spray paint went wild on a few trucks the night before the event LOLOLOLOL as it always happens with our crew of wheelers.

I was having problems with my throttle... I would get on it, and then my gas pedal wouldn't work,,,, so I had to keep cutting the engine off and restarting it to get the gas pedal to work... everything else held up great.

Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WwzLdi ... e=youtu.be

gun45boat
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by gun45boat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Does anyone know why the hell the throttle will work, then not. The light on the right side of the dash flashes when it happens. Code comes up as a Throttle position sensor. Do any of you know where that is located?

BigRed2007
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BigRed2007 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:41 pm

The throttle is completely electronic (you knew that) check your connection at the pedal and at the TPS. The TPS is attached to the throttle body. Mine will do the same thing if I try to manipulate the pedal when I have the high idle engaged.

KE0BZG
WQUY939