Diesel PW Build Thread

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Re: Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by olyelr » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 am

"Is dat dare a keeotee out dare in dat feild, aye!?"

That pic of the old shocks and new shocks is awesome hahahahah!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:21 am

Those are too nice, do you have any rust colored paint you can spray on them?

The Kings are interesting for sure, you're going to start driving faster and plowing through the bumps and holes you used to drive around. Install the boogies, stage 2 is very soft.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am

Reloaderguy wrote:Those are too nice, do you have any rust colored paint you can spray on them?

The Kings are interesting for sure, you're going to start driving faster and plowing through the bumps and holes you used to drive around. Install the boogies, stage 2 is very soft.
I was fresh outta rust color so I had to make do. I don't know if I could drive faster through the bumps than before. I never went around them before anyway. There's a point when you're just going to damn fast. On a shakedown today to the city. Will see how they behave
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 am

So I had life stuff to do most of the day but did manage to get my seat brackets made up. Just need to drill out the holes and figure out the seat control mount. I never get to use my band saw much. So much nicer than a grinder. Scrambled looking for paint. Only could find OD green. :lol: Check out those flux core welds!! Not pretty but full penetration.
Attachments
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by Rodeoflyer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

I got a chance to ride in 2015 cummins powered truck yesterday. FULL thuren and carli setup, boogie bumps, king 2.0's (Don sent him to use while his Carli 2.5's are being rebuilt), Thuren 3'' front, 1'' rear springs, Thuren torsion swaybar and endlinks. He's a Thuren dealer. From what I experienced, the diesel trucks are super front end heavy off-road which kind of throws off the balance we enjoy with the powerwagon. I would say they need much stiffer valving but since Don valved you specifically to what you told him I trust his judgement. Give it some time but the diesels are definitely a different thing to valve for. That's Dons forte so it should be good for your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 am

Rodeoflyer wrote:I got a chance to ride in 2015 cummins powered truck yesterday. FULL thuren and carli setup, boogie bumps, king 2.0's (Don sent him to use while his Carli 2.5's are being rebuilt), Thuren 3'' front, 1'' rear springs, Thuren torsion swaybar and endlinks. He's a Thuren dealer. From what I experienced, the diesel trucks are super front end heavy off-road which kind of throws off the balance we enjoy with the powerwagon. I would say they need much stiffer valving but since Don valved you specifically to what you told him I trust his judgement. Give it some time but the diesels are definitely a different thing to valve for. That's Dons forte so it should be good for your application.

Ok, I have to ask- who is revalving his Carli King 2.5s?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 am

He had them apart in the garage so I assume he is.

FirerescuePW
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by FirerescuePW » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Ah, ok. I always heard they (Carli and Thuren) wouldn't touch each others' shocks. I was curious if something changed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Well here is a post I didn't want to make. After a week running the 2.5 kings I have to say. I don't like them. I find them worse than the bilstiens. The sharp holes hurt worse. Washboard is more uncontrollable. The rear axle just starts to bounce like crazy. Like a bad axle hop. Towing empty flat bed the trailer bounces affect the truck. Loaded (heavily) the rear just bounces. In general only a few situations does it feel better. But not what it counts better. Really debating swapping back. Need to talk to don. Going to email him again tonight and see. It feels like the high speed dampening is too harsh and needs more med speed dampening. Low speed maybe a bit too. And maybe just rebound needs to be picked up low and med and the compression needs to be reduced for high speed dampening. Idk. I'm just :( right now. I'm $3600 into these 4 shocks and boogies. Yea that much after exchange shipping duties and taxes. :( maybe I expected too much from them?

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by olyelr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:44 pm

At that price they should exceed even the highest expectations.

Maybe they just need some fine tuning?

Kind of reminds me of that big truck test someone made this year, where the power wagon outshined the raptor in the high speed rough roads.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 am

I can relate. You hear so much on the internet about how the truck is a 'million times better' with king shocks but the reality is they're just a shock albeit a fully customizable race shock with specific valving that may be perfect for one situation and suck in another. They're not some kind of magical shock that will be perfect in all conditions. Maybe the bypasses fill that role lol. The high cost buys you a rebuildable and customizable shock and will be the last shock you ever buy for that vehicle once you get it valved to somewhat straddle the fence for all the different jobs it sounds like you do with the truck.

My truck is new. I don't ever plan to sell it but if I do it will be to move to a cummins so I said wth and dropped the money on them. I figured I'd own a vehicle that can use these shocks for another 10 years. I've already purchased the end cap spanner, oil and n2 setup to service them myself so I'm all in at this point.

I think once you get them valved right for your situation you will be ok. What's the temperature up there right now? Did you tell Don how cold it gets? I think King makes some special lighter oil for those arctic like conditions.

And I completely forgot to ask... what springs are you running?

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 pm

See now the "last shock you ever buy" was supposed to be the 7100s. And I rebuilt them so many times it's ridiculous. But after changing the valving multiple times I finally got them decent. But I expected more. I have Thuren coils and pw leaves. Temp up here has gone from 30°- 80°in the last week morning to daytime. I don't think temp right now is an issue. I just need to figure out valving. But if I can't and end up putting the 7100s back on I won't bother swapping the kings back in. But let me talk with Thuren and give em a chance. I'm just frustrated right now. That's all

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Diesel PW Build Thread

Post by Rodeoflyer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Id suggest calling and leave a message. He told me emails sometimes get lost in the fray because he gets so many but returns calls and voice messages in the order received.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 pm

nts007 wrote:Well here is a post I didn't want to make. After a week running the 2.5 kings I have to say. I don't like them. I find them worse than the bilstiens. The sharp holes hurt worse. Washboard is more uncontrollable. The rear axle just starts to bounce like crazy. Like a bad axle hop. Towing empty flat bed the trailer bounces affect the truck. Loaded (heavily) the rear just bounces. In general only a few situations does it feel better. But not what it counts better. Really debating swapping back. Need to talk to don. Going to email him again tonight and see. It feels like the high speed dampening is too harsh and needs more med speed dampening. Low speed maybe a bit too. And maybe just rebound needs to be picked up low and med and the compression needs to be reduced for high speed dampening. Idk. I'm just :( right now. I'm $3600 into these 4 shocks and boogies. Yea that much after exchange shipping duties and taxes. :( maybe I expected too much from them?
How does it feel without the factory sway bar?

Do you have the ability to refill the nitrogen? Maybe Don can send you a variety of shims so you can revalve your own shocks? Shock tuning is pretty subjective and you may be better off setting up your own shocks with your shipping complications. The Kings are certainly better than what you had, the valving just needs some work.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm

No issues without the swaybar. There is a good chance all my issue is just in the rear valving. I will talk to don as soon as I get ahold of him.

I got the seats in!! Love em. If you have a oversized rear end though it might not be the best. They have a wider one available. My ass just fits in tight. Wow a lot of modification if you want the seat brackets to sit flat. Worth it. Lots of drilling and grinding. But it all fits nice!! Had to weld on some pieces to hold the power seat switches. And yes it's od green. :lol: also have a new cover for the Center console coming soon
Attachments
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:49 pm

nts007 wrote:No issues without the swaybar. There is a good chance all my issue is just in the rear valving. I will talk to don as soon as I get ahold of him.
What I mean is how does the low and mid speed valving feel without the swaybar? Our trucks aren't quite apples to apples but the OE sway bar felt like I had too much low and mid speed dampening when it was really just the oversprung swaybar. When I took off the sway bar the truck did not actually have enough dampening. I'm wondering if you're feeling the sway bar because Stage 2 valving is pretty light.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 pm

It's no different as far as sway goes from the 7100s with light valving and thin fluid. Most of my issue is in the rear. I feel though that I need less high speed dampening say 30% and mid needs to go up like 20%. Low speed is fine

I also haven't had a sway bar in years now so I have no reference as to how it would be with

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Seats look great !!!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Gotta say I'm loving the seats. Took about 500km driving and it started to soften up and break in real nice. Working with don right now on the kings. He's given me some new shock valving to work using light oil instead of the king oil. They have just been kicking me in the kidneys for the first 15 min of my drive every day. Frustrated. But oil will be here Monday or Tuesday and I'll get them apart next weekend. Hopefully once and done. Again

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Did some revalving on the kings. Light fluid. Changed and removed some shims. Don gave me new profile. Was able to use existing shims so that was good. Huge difference. Huge. Majority they are better than my 7100s and th harder I drive them the better they get. Still have the odd rough patch but I'll give it some time now amd see how it settles in. Very much happier. Compared to how I was ready to remove them completely.

I really don't like the body down design though for the rear shocks. They are just taking a total beating. Paint isn't working. I'm going to get some 3m wrap here next weekend. You can only do high build paint so many times.

And yes I finally installed the boogies. Which I still haven't hit. Or may ever
Attachments
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Carli makes rock guards for the reservoir.

http://www.carlisuspension.com/products ... guard.html

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm just thinking of some mud flap rubber and couple band clamps

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:57 pm

You need some of these. I've also heard of clamping some rubber sheathing around the shock tube itself for rock deflection. Pretty cool that you were able to use the existing shims in another configuration. I'm nowhere near hitting my bumps either. I've bombed some stuff really hard they just soak it. I thought King factory oil was 5wt???

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:18 pm

From all the googling I did king oil is either 15-17weight. Or it's 12-14weight. Huge difference going to the 5 weight. I'm just going to band clamp rubber mat to the shock bodies. Likely do it this weekend.
On another note, the wife doesn't like the new seats. She's ok with them when she's in but she can't get out over the bolster and having to jump keeps hurting her ankle. I'm debating swapping the passenger seat back in and putting a seat cover on it and putting the second corbeau in the other truck

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Ah yes, the high bolster. Not a problem for a low slung vehicle you're pulling yourself UP and out of but a truck yes I could see...that would be a big problem.

I may try the lighter shock oil. Did Don recommend the Amsoil shock therapy brand oil? I know there's a lot of debate regarding brands and weight. In your conditions, extreme use and cold weather going to a lighter weight oil is probably better.