Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:45 pm

RTT is on:
DSC_0365.jpg
And spare tire is safely caged in by the bed rack and cargo divider:
DSC_0368.jpg
I had to flip the Frontrunner bed rack upside down so that the iKamper mounting brackets could get all the way around the slats. With the Frontrunner lip, the RTT was sitting a little to high to be able to "grab" the rack slats.

User avatar
DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 2145
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 am
Model Year: 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 pm

Torq wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Sounds steep for brackets rated for 250lbs, might keep an eye on the rivers holding those rails in. It’s probably feasible if needed to remove the ramboxes and drill the rivers and add a reinforcement inside if it’s needed down the road.
Thanks for the rating - wasn't sure what it was. Is that 250 lbs per side, or 250 lbs total?
Not sure! I couldn’t find the data sheet again.

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:51 am

Got the White Knuckle Rock Sliders installed a couple weeks ago. Notes on the install:

-Had to grind down the shim on the driver side due to an errant ground clip that was in the way. Ground clip probably could've been moved, but the grinder was handy and I prefer to leave as much stock as possible.
-Move of the frame rail wiring that had to be liberated from the frame has mounts close enough to the slider mount points that no re-securing was needed
-On the passenger side, one of the brackets is making contact with the body, causing a OCD-triggering episode. Probably due to an installation error, but it should be resolvable by loosening the one mount and shimming it away from the body with some plastic shims
-The extra ~300lbs. slightly affects stopping power. After the tent, rack, and bigger tires, I'll probably upgrade the brake pads with Power Stops or EBC Yellow Stuffs
DSC_0398.jpg
DSC_0399.jpg
DSC_0400.jpg
DSC_0401.jpg

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 am

I haven't posted any pictures with this big ass tent deployed. It's awesome, but I'll have to leave it open for a week to get rid of the new tent smell.
IMG_20190623_195329.jpg
IMG_20190623_195358.jpg

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3546
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by olyelr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am

I had the same passenger side ocd squeak as well. Ended up being a washer rubbing on the body. Took the bolt out, ground down a flat spot on the washer, and reinstalled so the flat spot was now pointing toward the body. Noise be gone.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

User avatar
1pieceatatime
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Model Year: 2018
Location: The Mitten

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by 1pieceatatime » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am

Really would like to know what you think of that iKamper. We have a nice Baroud setup now, but we’re reaching the limits of its size as my little 7YO guy keeps growing. iKamper would offer us more room, with a few drawbacks in setup and stow time - but if the quality is good and we are more comfortable in it, may go that way next summer.

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 pm

olyelr wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am
I had the same passenger side ocd squeak as well. Ended up being a washer rubbing on the body. Took the bolt out, ground down a flat spot on the washer, and reinstalled so the flat spot was now pointing toward the body. Noise be gone.
Awesome. I'll try that and report back on how it works. It's bugging the shit out of me.

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:03 pm

1pieceatatime wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am
Really would like to know what you think of that iKamper. We have a nice Baroud setup now, but we’re reaching the limits of its size as my little 7YO guy keeps growing. iKamper would offer us more room, with a few drawbacks in setup and stow time - but if the quality is good and we are more comfortable in it, may go that way next summer.
Set up is quick. Probably a little longer than the JB because of the poles for the window awnings. They added a well thought out strap that circumnavigates the tent. You pull on it while you pull the hard shell down and it pull the canvas sides of the tent into the shell. It's not perfect, but it only leaves you with a minute of tucking before you can clamp the hard shell down into place.

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 pm

I have my biennial expedition is coming up at the end of August and I'm trying to wrap a couple things up. Base on the routes we're looking at, I think the top three things to finish on my priority list are:

-Bedslide apparatus for easy access to camping gear (hard to get to with bed rack in the way)
-Auxiliary lighting for roof rack
-Front and rear diff guards

The bedslide will probably be a decent piece of 3/4" sanded plywood sitting on 1/2" boards in the grooves of the bed, separated by some low friction material. I'll probably try to come up with some legs that hinge down to the ground when extended to have a table to work on. Just need to work on ways to secure it when it is stowed and extended.

For the lighting, I'm putting a battery in the RAMBOX with the National Luna battery controller and a switch bank to control the camp lighting I'm putting on the bed rack.

I'm still hunting for diff guards and welcome suggestions. I've seen recommendations for Carli and Purple Cranium, but not sure which is best for front and back. Looking for designs that consider drain plug placement and lack of modification to stock components.

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3546
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by olyelr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am

Cant go wrong with either of those for diff protection. However carli is only the front, so if you want to keep it “uniform” then go purple cranium and be done with it.

Cant wait to see how your added battery setup in the rambox turns out. Ive been thinking about doing something like that for a while now.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3546
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by olyelr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:27 am

Torq wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:00 pm
olyelr wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am
I had the same passenger side ocd squeak as well. Ended up being a washer rubbing on the body. Took the bolt out, ground down a flat spot on the washer, and reinstalled so the flat spot was now pointing toward the body. Noise be gone.
Awesome. I'll try that and report back on how it works. It's bugging the shit out of me.

Yea, the first thing to do really is closely inspect all of the mounting bolts to determine which one is actually rubbing on the body.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Torq
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 am
Model Year: 2014

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by Torq » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm

olyelr wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am
Cant go wrong with either of those for diff protection. However carli is only the front, so if you want to keep it “uniform” then go purple cranium and be done with it.

Cant wait to see how your added battery setup in the rambox turns out. Ive been thinking about doing something like that for a while now.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Purple Cranium rear diff guard (since it's the only option). Is the link below the correct diff guard for a 2017 PW (just want to be sure, I only have a month to get this finished so not much time for corrections in erroneous orders)?

https://purplecranium.com/i-9740253-dod ... gory:53685

User avatar
olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Posts: 3546
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 pm
Model Year: 2016
Location: Kewadin, MI

Re: Torq's Build - 2017 RAM Power Wagon (Nickname Undecided)

Post by olyelr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Torq wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm
olyelr wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am
Cant go wrong with either of those for diff protection. However carli is only the front, so if you want to keep it “uniform” then go purple cranium and be done with it.

Cant wait to see how your added battery setup in the rambox turns out. Ive been thinking about doing something like that for a while now.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Purple Cranium rear diff guard (since it's the only option). Is the link below the correct diff guard for a 2017 PW (just want to be sure, I only have a month to get this finished so not much time for corrections in erroneous orders)?

https://purplecranium.com/i-9740253-dod ... gory:53685
Hm. The wording on the website is a little difficult to understand. At one point it states it fits a 10.5” rear, and then another it says its for the 11.5”...

I would call them.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Post Reply