PWJouster's Build - 2018 Power Wagon "TrailWhale"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Re: PWJouster's Build - 2018 Power Wagon "TrailWhale"

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:52 am

Absolutely, if you’re just looking for maximum comfort you already got the secret sauce nailed with your shock valving and running disconnected. Only thing you’re really lacking is 37’s. They do a tremendous amount for muting small and/or high frequency chop and minor irregularities that otherwise irritate the driver and the chassis.

I only mentioned the torsion bar because you seem to enjoy being a hooligan, and for that purpose a torsion bar is a better way to go, and a very comfortable compromise on road.

Texas roads are on par with Florida, never ending construction lol. I used to live in the fort Myers area. My commute has a ton of city streets and my property in the country is down miles of rutted out hardpack dirt road, so I built my truck for comfort and speed offroad. In a normal vehicle the dirt road to my place takes about 20 minutes. In my truck it takes 5. And it’s comfortable doing it. If I was less inclined towards speed and hooliganism I’d run with no bar/disconnected and be happier than with the torsion.

Love the way your truck is coming along btw, it looks fantastic!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

PWJouster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:41 am
SPOD

great product and does exactly what its designed to do.
easy install and easy maintenance.

Bantam is small!!!! and very high quality
HD touchscreen is ideal! and such a small footprint for 4 switches.

@trailwhalePowerwagon on instagram for some photos.

one huge gripe.
the switch panel has full power at all times with the standard setup.
i am way to forgetful. already got a call last night for my fog lights being left on, and more discreetly swaybar still discoed(unsure of the power draw with the arb solenoid left open?)

only switches 1 and 2 can be activated by keyed ignition source,luckily, i only ever plan to have amber fogs and swaybar discoed on the regular.
but if i leave any other switch on, down goes the battery.

anyone have any simple and reliable alternatives to power the entire spod block only when keyed ignition is on?

You can run an automatic charging relay from bluesea systems to run power to the spod. It will only allow power to the unit when the alternator is running. Love spod, I have one of their original units in an old Jeep. They’ve come a long way
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Lots of other stuff lol

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2018

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am

i guess the answer is....
my girlfriend and family will take the priority, as the alternative only puts a smile on my face and my life at risk.
a torsion would by my ideal, but my GF likes it slow and deep.....deep ruts that is.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
Nanny kill switch and Locker Bypasses
Thuren Tuned King 3.0 & 2.5 Pintop Stage 3/2
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
Evo On-Demand Air Swaybar Disconnect
S&B Intake-Mufflex-Magnaflow/resonator delete
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Baja design and Rigid Industries
Purple Cranium Spider dif guards
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am

Colibri wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

You can run an automatic charging relay from bluesea systems to run power to the spod. It will only allow power to the unit when the alternator is running. Love spod, I have one of their original units in an old Jeep. They’ve come a long way
which specific product and what would the schematic look like to incorporate the spod?
it wires inline with the battery and spod power ? and only provides power to spod when it senses alternator charging battery?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am

https://www.bluesea.com/products/762210 ... %5BBulk%5D

This is the one I’d recommend. It gives manual control as a backup to its automatic operation.

Super simple to wire. Just hook the spod main positive lead to its output terminal and run a line directly to battery positive from the other relay terminal. Done. Unless you want to put an in cab switch but this particular model is already wired for that so it’s plug and play

This is not its intended purpose, but it works well in the role
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am

Fully understand about the family and girlfriend comfort and needs lol.
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Colibri wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am
https://www.bluesea.com/products/762210 ... %5BBulk%5D

This is the one I’d recommend. It gives manual control as a backup to its automatic operation.

Super simple to wire. Just hook the spod main positive lead to its output terminal and run a line directly to battery positive from the other relay terminal. Done. Unless you want to put an in cab switch but this particular model is already wired for that so it’s plug and play

This is not its intended purpose, but it works well in the role
i wonder what the threshold is for on/off. what if im running all the hardware and alternator isnt keeping up at low rpm, will it aromatically shut off?
or if truck sits a long time and the module is waiting for the battery to hit a specific charge level after ignition, will i not be able to use spod for a period of time while it charges?

i like the idea, that i can put a switch remotely in the truck to power off the connection at anytime.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 pm

I do agree with tim on the swaybar. I have run with and without a swaybar for a long time. A soft rate swaybar is the ideal balance. There are definitely times you want to have a swaybar for control, and times you want to be able to throw the body around and load the tires for a hard turn.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 pm

im assuming unloaded with two passengers, the king 3.0 and 2.5 suffice?

but i do understand torsion bars and their benefits.

ill say this! im thoroughly happy with the build and i know the on demand disconnect is what i needed.

my only issue on this truck right now is this spod always on bologna.
i keep forgetting to turn off the fogs and close the solenoid. and even when i dont, im subconsciously worrying about it.

i need this entire panel switched, not only the 1 and 2 keyed activation switches as spod designed....

im crazy or everyone is a bullsh*ter, this has to be a common concern, and should have been addressed in the latest Bantam offering.
i know im not the only one leaving accessories on, and not ok with the typical battery drain threshold auto shutoff feature.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:32 pm

I still run an old spod in a Jeep, but moved over to switchpros for my truck and any new builds. May want to give them a look see if you don’t get the spod working to your satisfaction

http://www.switch-pros.com
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Lots of other stuff lol

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 am

Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm
PWJouster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:47 pm
holy crap that is awesome. but limited in nature (referencing module to utilize factory auxiliary buttons.)
It's nowhere near as flexible as an SPOD or SwitchPro that is for sure. However, it looks OEM (because it is) and is integrated into the EVIC. I have three rocker switch locations above the e-brake release that have my charge relay control, ABS disconnect, and a dummy plate. My fogs are run off the OE switch. That leaves me five programmable OEM switches to run lights and whatever else.
fog lights powered by relay triggered by factory fog wire? what resistor or components may be necessary for LED compatibility?

i guess i could really use that spod switch for another item, i didnt think i would be utilizing all 8 switches at first.
who needs more then 8 switches?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:04 am

PWJouster wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 am
Reloaderguy wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm
PWJouster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:47 pm
holy crap that is awesome. but limited in nature (referencing module to utilize factory auxiliary buttons.)
It's nowhere near as flexible as an SPOD or SwitchPro that is for sure. However, it looks OEM (because it is) and is integrated into the EVIC. I have three rocker switch locations above the e-brake release that have my charge relay control, ABS disconnect, and a dummy plate. My fogs are run off the OE switch. That leaves me five programmable OEM switches to run lights and whatever else.
fog lights powered by relay triggered by factory fog wire? what resistor or components may be necessary for LED compatibility?

i guess i could really use that spod switch for another item, i didnt think i would be utilizing all 8 switches at first.
who needs more then 8 switches?
I'm only running 20w BD cubes for fog lights so they are only powered by the fog light circuit. There is no need to run them through a relay, the factory incandescent bulbs are 50w. I did a write up on the old duals I had set up in my build thread. I used chassis resistors to keep the PWM happy but I have removed them and disabled PWM with AlfaOBD.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 am

10BEC59D-0E08-4C21-8400-6DA3C7F79073.jpg
Colibri wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:52 am
Absolutely, if you’re just looking for maximum comfort you already got the secret sauce nailed with your shock valving and running disconnected. Only thing you’re really lacking is 37’s. They do a tremendous amount for muting small and/or high frequency chop and minor irregularities that otherwise irritate the driver and the chassis.

I only mentioned the torsion bar because you seem to enjoy being a hooligan, and for that purpose a torsion bar is a better way to go, and a very comfortable compromise on road.
talk about facts.

these Toyo rt 37x12.5 have changed my life.
:spam:

the 35s had over 20k miles. 1 tire had 3 nails 2 tires had 2 nails and 1 tire had 1 nail over the course of their life.
(gave them to my Brother in law for his tacoma... they will see another 20k miles and probably wont ever pop or puncture with the featherweight above...)

sooooo they rubbed. I actually did not expect it, but it is what it is.

had to trim the bulging plastic at the back of the front fender wells. Tin snip made this quite simple and its not the prettiest but it clears the pinch seam just fine.

The ride has improved 10 fold. 42PSI front and 34PSI Rear.
They mute the transitions and rough surface of the road much better then the beat up 35s. Road noise is down, MPG are the same, braking is still adequate.

AEV procal needed 36 inch input for correct speed, and the Transmission is unbelievably more efficient.
I assume the truck would lug more at X Speed being a lower RPM for the same gear, but instead of sitting in the same gear lugging away, it is more inclined to downshift.
80MPH on the highway and 5th gear is more readily available.

So very close to curb stomp status.(40s if i make it to 40k miles)

Remaining items- (seriously though, at 25k miles which is longer then ive owned any vehicle, theres not much left i "need" to do.)(or want to do-saving for my TRX or Hellcat crate swap)

Needs-
Truss
BallJoints
steering upgrades
Tune
Rear chopped bumper
WK sliders

Wants-
Dual battery
dorkel
more armor
and clearly
supercharger or hellcat swap
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm

ADD Dimple R rear bumper.

Its A great bumper with A great build quality. No doubt about it. There is no reason to ignore this bumper, and brand.
It has better clearance, not excessively heavy, less drag?, looks great. It is most certainly not cheesy for a PW.

the design had one flaw which i might contribute to two factors. I bought it off a shelf same week, and it may have been sitting there as an early design.

Substructure plating location interfered with middle parking sensors. A quick cut to clear the sensor module and all is good. The cut does not impede the strength of this bumper.

2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

TRANS GO POP

Post by PWJouster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 am

25k miles on the truck.

said it from the get-go...Transmission tuning is crap, shift logic is crap, lugging is crap, downshifts are crap.

Trans is out for the count.

Had it flushed around 20k miles. At 25k miles now.

The other day it had a hard downshift, almost felt like i got rear ended...
Then the next morning, truck had a harder downshift...this time i had that pit in stomach feeling of being hit, it was so harsh.

The next couple of days, it drove fine, trans temps never above 180 and everything was ok except some hard shifts here and there but not as bad as had happened the prior days.

Then woke up one morning and it sounded like trash, and almost sounded like something was being tossed around the trans pan, but only when in drive and foot on brake. Not in park or neutral.
Then drove it to dodge, had the tech test drive it for 30 minutes.
each and every shift got worse, and upon arriving back at the service isle...temp was 230 DEGREES.What?

I will update everyone shortly. This is trash. I was literally looking at the ATS bypass block a few weeks back. If this is what caused the failure, i wonder if the trans flush set it off? That would be against most logic but you never know.
Last edited by PWJouster on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

EasyDoesIt
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by EasyDoesIt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 am

Shit man keep us posted. Im pretty hard on my truck and between the engine, axles, and trans I feel like the trans is the weak link.

From reading your posts I'm thinking you and I have similar driving styles :rockon:
Live: Las Vegas NV, Drive: 2018 PW & 2014 LR4

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 am

Not trying to turn your build thread into a trans debate/discussion but just wondering...did you have the solenoid recall done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:28 am

i did every recall that dodge ever asked for.
i drive hard but not too hard for an HD.
have done minimal offroading, and with 37s recently and only a thuren lift, its clearly a factory problem, not mine. Warranty is cleared.
ive had BMWs, jeeps, hellcat, audis, mercedes and never once had trans or engine issues. and every single one of those was tuned.

not the PW. No PCM tune and i have a whacked trans..now im very uneasy about the truck in whole, but i still love it.
dealer wants to do whats right. hell, im at 25k miles and ive flushed the engine 5 times, diffs 2 times, and trans and transfer case 1 times. They cant say i dont maintain it.

i was actually so worked up i went out and put 4k cash on a 89 YJ wrangler with a 4.2 I6 and 3 speed auto...
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:56 am

Well I can’t dispute the YJ choice. I’d love to have one! My trans failed at 92k miles about two months after I had the solenoid recall done. When they did the solenoid recall my service manager called and said it looked like ‘the transmission was coming apart internally’ so I had it rebuilt..NOT by the dealer but by a shop that builds transmissions behind 1000hp diesels, with heavier duty parts. My power steering pump went out about two months later and I just had to replace the fuel pump. Hopefully it runs for a while now.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm

wait, are you saying you had the solenoid recall completed, dealer said trans looks like shit.
you took it to a trans shop and then it failed two months after you built it aftermarket, or you built it after it failed two months after Recall?

who did the trans build? everyone ive called says 68rfe only?
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

Rodeoflyer
500_Posts
500_Posts

PWJouster's Build - 2018 Power Wagon "TrailWhale"

Post by Rodeoflyer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:10 pm

I had the recall done, the service manager said it looked bad internally but they went ahead and did the recall then returned the truck to me. A month later I lost reverse gear. I took it to Austex transmission who I HIGHLY recommend. They used my extended warranty to cover $3500 of the rebuild bill and I spent another $2000 on upgraded internals (billet valve body, line booster, sonnax solenoids, etc) to get a 100k mile warranty through Austex (or any builder in the automatic transmission rebuilders association nationwide network atra.org).

I’d suggest you go to the ATRA.COM website and do a search for atra certified rebuilders in your area then try to use your warranty to cover it.

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 am

well, hopefully Ram will revert to a re manufactured unit and not the current re-assembled by a dealer tech. Although i have high regards for my tech and shop, the recent flush may have triggered something.....

i assume ill be factory covered for awhile on transmissions so long as i stick to stock. i have the 100k mile warranty.

very very lucky i have tuned the truck yet.
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:42 am

PWJouster wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:28 am
i did every recall that dodge ever asked for.
i drive hard but not too hard for an HD.
have done minimal offroading, and with 37s recently and only a thuren lift, its clearly a factory problem, not mine. Warranty is cleared.
ive had BMWs, jeeps, hellcat, audis, mercedes and never once had trans or engine issues. and every single one of those was tuned.

not the PW. No PCM tune and i have a whacked trans..now im very uneasy about the truck in whole, but i still love it.
dealer wants to do whats right. hell, im at 25k miles and ive flushed the engine 5 times, diffs 2 times, and trans and transfer case 1 times. They cant say i dont maintain it.

i was actually so worked up i went out and put 4k cash on a 89 YJ wrangler with a 4.2 I6 and 3 speed auto...
Aren't you the one whose been talking about racing on the on-ramps since you signed up? :poke:

That is some shit though. That sucks man. Way too soon. My Jeep has less than 5k on it and it's started shifting hard lately, and I am not happy about the prospect at all. 92k on the PW and knock on wood, all is still fine with the drive train. PRAISE BE TO THE TRUCK GODS. :lol:
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

PWJouster
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by PWJouster » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm

with how supple the suspension is, if my driving had anything to do with it, then it aint no HD. i dont treat it like i treat loaners is what i mean.
fluke failure of some internal component....
2018 Powerwagon-6.4 Hemi
17 Method NV-Toyo RT 37
SPOD Bantam
On-Board air ARB CKMTA12
Pedal Commander

SeppW
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by SeppW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

PWJouster wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 am
i have the 100k mile warranty.
I thought FCA cut the powertrain warranty to 5/50 for HD gassers? How did you get 100K? I'm shocked a truck that is less than year or a little over and tranny already failed? You must ride hard. According to some, flushing has it pros and cons and could have mucked up something internally. I occasionally get what I call driveline clunk when it downshifts or when feathering the brake and accelerator. I thought it might be excessive gear lash in rear diff or in tranny, dealer claimed to have checked it on previous service visit ( I suspect he didn't because the diff cover hasn't been removed; no tool marks on the bolts). Still does it occasionally in the right conditions.