DamageWagon's Build - 2011 "AdventureWagon"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: DamageWagon's AdventureWagon

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:41 am

Did you replace the complete tie rod?? As in both outer ends driver and passenger?? And is your issue a horrible left right steering everywhere can't hold on issue or is it more of a sudden tire starts bouncing outta control making the ride horrible

If it's side to side (and you'll know) then it's outer tie rods and track bar. If it's more of a horrible bouncing/oscillation then it's Balljoints or shocks.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

Low BJ probably shouldn't have movement but EMF specs to leave the lower joint not snug during install. I did snug it though so it would break in just like the other joints. This made it more darty but I expected it.

Trackbar is my main culprit. I think the bar itself is bad and the bushing housing somehow was made wrong or has been damaged. The Carli bushings flare out so even if the housing is way oversize it will still fool you with a press fit, but when I went to install a Thuren bushing it slipped right in with lots of slop. Since people use Thurens bushings in Carli bars, it made me wonder. Also, when I steer going down the road sometimes it takes a moment before the steering "goes". Probably why I hate my steering haha.

Control arms CAN be the problem but I highly doubt they are. Radio said they've only seen control arms be the problem two or three times. I've talked to another guy with arms in the same shape as mine. It's possible but I don't think it's the problem, and I can't afford it of it is lol

@nts I replaced the whole rod. Both ends, adjuster. The steering is more bouncy, it's a touch jittery side to side but mostly feels really bouncy at this point. Before I did BJs I had a strong side to side pull. But I have new BJs and and 3.0 Kings so unless the lower BJs loosened I don't imagine it being those. I'm really leaning to Trackbar.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

I had factory control arm issues. Control arms worn let the pinion bounce round floppy and cost me a front drive shaft.

It does sound like a track bar issue. I know a guy who is in the middle of doin a Emf joint on the bushing side....
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

And how is that EMF joint coming!? It's already welded, throw it on there!

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Well.....been lazy. Just busy lol. And it keeps getting to 20below at night but above freezing during the day and my driveway has bout 2" of water everywhere. Just a mess. Waiting for a dry day

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Sent from my safe space

coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by coder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm

So what does all that Blackstone data indicate?
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by Bill2014 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Liability limited to cost of analysts. How much did this analysis cost? Do they have any baseline tests on new, unused Pennzoil 5W20?
2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

TwinStick

Post by TwinStick » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Based on their "Universal Averages" in the far right column, I have some concerns. Not sure if the concerns are valid or not but bear with me here. Aluminum, Iron, Copper, Phosphorous, Zinc is what gives me the most concern. The first 3 are too high, the last 2 are too low, according to their "universal average." The 3 that are too high can be excessive wear. The last 2---Zinc, reduces friction & phosphorous keeps engines clean.

The reason I can't be too sure about the last 2 are because of the E.P.A.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/mo ... art-2-zddp

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classi ... rotection/

Some time ago, the EPA decided these things were no good for catalytic converters, so they forced the oil companies to reduce the amount found in motor oil. There have been many people that have experienced bearing failure, that they contribute to the reduced amount of zinc/phosphorous. I suppose that can be argued all day. My take is this--It seems every single time the "little guy" gets ahead (by having gas engines last 2-3-400,000 miles, or using fuel that produces zero emissions & smells like french fries) the EPA steps in either puts a stop to it or makes the process so paper intensive, that people just give up.
https://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/faqbio.htm

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:44 pm

The analysis is like $30. You get good info for that money. The universal averages are an accumulation of thousands and thousands of tests they do and expectations from manufactures. They also have the knowledge of what fresh oils show as far as their makeup. Black stone labs is a legit company with a solid reputation.
Damage you defiantly have some excess wear going on there

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I just sent in another oil sample coming from 6600 miles on Amsoil XL 5W-30. With 3300 towing miles I think it will be a solid sample. I will see what the next sample says, if I need to start replacing parts I will probably keep running this engine and build a nice replacement one over time. I don't expect any catastrophic failure, I think the current engine will just get harder to start in the morning if the cam is going south.

But for now I gotta keep it happy.

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 pm

I walked out to the truck this morning and look what Santa installed in my truck! Image

Just kidding. This thing took me like 20 hours. I was not prepared for that. 8 hours hand making an adapter bracket to fit where I wanted it, hand cutting 9/16" plate with a hacksaw, hand drilling everything. Fun stuff. Then the only place I could put the antenna they I liked and would work with the camper was dead on in the center of the roof support hat channel. HT's definitely have the benefit of being ready to go out of the box!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Nice job!!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Found my biggest steering and DW problem. I had one Carli part on my truck and guess what wasn't holding up... The bushing housing was .035" oversized. That in combination with the crappy soft bushing they give you led to crappy feel in general. Called up Aaron and got a Thuren bar sent out. I saved some coin by reusing my new heim from the Carli bar since it's the same threads. Here is a comparison.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Thuren bar was at least twice the weight of the Carli bar, double the wall thickness and tapped end, and the bushing housing was also at least double the thickness and had way more serious welds. The Thuren bushing is seriously harder than the Carli bushing, and has o-rings to keep grease in and grime out. The Carli bar slips right into the Trackbar mount while the Thuren bar took about 20 minutes with a rubber hammer to get the thing in.

Since install my wobble is far improved, my steering response feels more like a rack and pinion car than a HD truck, and it drove like it was on rails in the Mojave over the weekend. We were holding serious speed, even 50-60mph through turns with confidence. My truck has never steered like this. I'm happy! My steering box has definite slip in it though, I'm going to see how much I can adjust it without the ends of the turn being too tight inside the box.

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Also just got my next oil report in from Blackstone. This was 6600 miles on Amsoil 5W-30 XL, with 3300 miles towing. Image

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Looks like that amsoil is cleaning those numbers up. Track bar looks good. You've almost motivated me to do mine!!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:15 am

nts007 wrote:Looks like that amsoil is cleaning those numbers up. Track bar looks good. You've almost motivated me to do mine!!
Is your fancy Trackbar still not on the truck?

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:55 am

Getting some good progress on the camper. So many little tasks just add up, it's amazing and terrifying at the same time. The girlfriend is building the cabinet and bench seat. I'm still designing the lift mechanism and doing the welding. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my safe space

OffroadTreks
Model Year: 2015

Post by OffroadTreks » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Wish I could like this. Can't wait to see the end product.
2015 Power Wagon Laramie - "ROCKLANDER"
-------
[Build Thread] [Instagram] [Youtube]
------
Full-Size Off-Road Events & Overland Adventures

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:04 pm

DamageWagon wrote:
nts007 wrote:Looks like that amsoil is cleaning those numbers up. Track bar looks good. You've almost motivated me to do mine!!

Sent from my safe space
Hey now. It's been in the truck for weeks. But today I will be putting it in its correct locale instead of 'back seat floor position'

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:42 pm

nts007 wrote:
DamageWagon wrote:

Sent from my safe space
Hey now. It's been in the truck for weeks. But today I will be putting it in its correct locale instead of 'back seat floor position'
Ah that's right, I've heard they make the Canadian trucks a little different. Image

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I've been really slacking with putting updates on, but we've been working so hard on the camper that I haven't had much time to really document things. Anywhoo, the camper is close to finished and is finally on the truck for good! ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I've been really slacking with putting updates on, but we've been working so hard on the camper that I haven't had much time to really document things. Anywhoo, the camper is close to finished and is finally on the truck for good! ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Awesome progress!!

How many test sleeps

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 am

nts007 wrote:Awesome progress!!

How many test sleeps
Thanks! Came out heavier than I wanted but it's still pretty dang light. Zero test sleeps so far, although we did use the bedding from it on our Mojave adventure recently and it was quite comfortable.

Sent from my safe space