DamageWagon's Build - 2011 "AdventureWagon"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Re: DamageWagon's AdventureWagon

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:24 pm

That's awesome!! Crazy progress. Youll be sleeping in your truck in no time at all lol. School me on the radio and the reason for it. I only ask because cell coverage is so damn good around here that a simple booster will extend you range anywhere except in the extreme North. I ask though because I used to have a cb that never got used and I've not wheeled in a group. Always wanted to get A real radio but have had no need for one yet. Is it more for emergency or just for wheeling with a group mainly.
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Also a full moog tie rod setup will only set you back maybe $300. That's what I have right now. And it's held up well. Greasable. Lifetime warranty. I've returned a bad joint and took a new one home many times. As long as you keep em greased they are happy. Not the best parts maybe but for the price not complaining. I will one day do a full emf setup
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:07 pm

nts007 wrote:Also a full moog tie rod setup will only set you back maybe $300. That's what I have right now. And it's held up well. Greasable. Lifetime warranty. I've returned a bad joint and took a new one home many times. As long as you keep em greased they are happy. Not the best parts maybe but for the price not complaining. I will one day do a full emf setup
I didn't know Moog had greaseable ones. With a lifetime warranty that makes it way more tempting. I might do that then. If EMF will make me one I will probably do that though.

Sent from my safe space

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I went with a CB for group comms. It absolutely sucked and is going on the trash. Free to a good home. CB is useless.

I was going to get a DeLorme inReach for safety reasons, but it failed to check the most important box. In all my searching I was unable to find a single example of it ever actually being used as a PLB. Plus I have no idea how good the private company answering emergencies actually is. Plus, people who used PLB's and GPS's say it is nowhere near the quality of either of those would be in a dedicated unit. So I said screw that, I'm not paying $400 plus a monthly bill for a device that sucks, has 1/5 the transmit power of a PLB and might not work.

Moving on, we decided to go HAM radio for safety reasons. HAM has a drawback of not really having dedicated frequencies, however the radio I got has a SmartScan feature and will auto-populate active frequencies you receive. Plus having the national repeater book gives you access to huge comms range. The range on a ham radio is dependent mostly on your antenna and topography. Next is power. Next it atmospheric conditions. I bought a very good antenna, and the most powerful 2m radio I could get (75 watts). 2m is the most common radio frequency set. I am expecting, real world, 5 mile comm range inside of canyons and 30-50 miles range in normal terrain. 70 mile range on flatlands. Maybe 150-300 mile range with a single repeater. Infinite range by using the Internet-link feature that some repeaters have. You can talk to someone in China. Also, many repeaters are set up so that you can dial 911 through your radio and it will connect you to dispatch.

HAM is pretty complicated if you want to do more than find a frequency and push a button. I'm still trying to wrap my head around things. One small motivating factor was that when I was on the fire department I was in the Chiefs car around midnight, Deputy Chief next to me. He used to work at AeroJet and was very educated with radios. We were listening to an FM frequency during a thunderstorm, when out of the blue the radio got heavy static and then an English voice came on. It was the morning news broadcast, from the BBC station in London, England. Loud and clear. He explained that in the right weather conditions, FM frequencies in VHF and HF bands can bounce across the Ionosphere and have crazy range. You can also bounce off the moon and do the same. Crazy stuff. Heard it with my own ears.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Makes sense. I guess I'm so used to flat land that I didn't think about canyons and such being a factor. I'll hit you up later for some more advice thanks

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm

nts007 wrote:Makes sense. I guess I'm so used to flat land that I didn't think about canyons and such being a factor. I'll hit you up later for some more advice thanks
:thumbsup: if you want to dip your toes, those Baofeng UV-5R's on Amazon for $25 are as capable as a $1500 radio from anybody else. Nice for backing up the truck and desert "stuck to the frame" shenanigans hehe

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:15 pm

You mean like so?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I was thinking more like....
ImageImage

Both pretty similar though.

There's stuck.
Then there's STUCK.
Then there's "Hey buddy... You got insurance?"

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Haha. More alike than we know lol

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 am

DamageWagon wrote:
nts007 wrote:Makes sense. I guess I'm so used to flat land that I didn't think about canyons and such being a factor. I'll hit you up later for some more advice thanks
Image if you want to dip your toes, those Baofeng UV-5R's on Amazon for $25 are as capable as a $1500 radio from anybody else. Nice for backing up the truck and desert "stuck to the frame" shenanigans hehe

Sent from my safe space
Can you guys look at the BoaFeng BF-F8HP for me? It's marketed as the UV5R 3rd Gen with higher power... does that look accurate? I was going to grab the UV5R but for just a touch more cash this looks better? I'd rather spend a little more for a little better unit to learn on. I'm about to get into boondocking and its a good opportunity. Thanks!
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am

Tanker, I would just go with the UV-5R. I had the same thought as you, but really, everybody owns a 5R, there's tons of info out there on it and it's way more than you need already. Besides the power output on those things means almost nothing. If you're going to spend more money on that thing, get a nicer antenna for the 5R. That will do 10 times as much as a few more watts will. Much better reach and clarity.

Sent from my safe space

NickPic83
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by NickPic83 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 pm

I have a UV-5R and it works very well. I also got a magnetic antenna and cable that I ran thru the back window and put on top of the cab. Worked very well to communicate with the other trucks running with us in the trails

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Hmmm... my gut is saying spend the money for the extra power...
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:31 pm

What magnetic antennae? I already have a Lil Will for my CB... do i need something different?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 pm

TankerZak wrote:Hmmm... my gut is saying spend the money for the extra power...
Ignore your gut. It takes 0.2 watts to reach the international space station. Spend that money on a Nagoya antenna if you want. Or buy a real radio for your truck. It's all in the antenna, not wattage

Sent from my safe space

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by TankerZak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:11 am

They also have a new triple band version...

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:51 am

TankerZak wrote:They also have a new triple band version...
What are the three bands? The most common by far is 2m, then some people use 70cm/440, and in my mind the next step is 6m but that one is a whole different ballgame. I would just do the dual band UV-5R. There's almost nobody out there (nearby to you) on the other bands outside of 2m and 70cm. And even at that, the range on 70cm is much shorter than 2m. If you would like I have a 19 page essay I just drunk-typed up for nts007 last night when he asked about antennas... Image

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

All I got from it though was the + doesn't go with the - lol

Was a good bit of info. Gonna get another one soon?

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Another what? Another dissertation? lol

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:40 am

Or short essay! Lol. Still don't know what antenna to use...

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 pm

nts007 wrote:Or short essay! Lol. Still don't know what antenna to use...
Per the recommendation of Radio at Carli (his nickname, because he's a radio nerd) I got a Larsen NMO-150BK. Seems very well built, highly recommended by others, and according to the go-fast guys it can take a serious beating. Hitting it in drive-thrus, hitting the base mount with a tree branch at speed, etc. This is a roof-mount antenna that requires a 3/4" hole through your roof.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Alright I'll drill the hole and order the antenna!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 pm

nts007 wrote:Alright I'll drill the hole and order the antenna!
Haha wait do you have a radio? That antenna won't work happily with your scanner.

Sent from my safe space

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by nts007 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Nope. And don't have the antenna. I'll just drill a hole lol.

I'll wait till I have it all before I actually do. But I got no issues making holes in my truck.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm still picturing you driving around with an open hole in your roof

Sent from my safe space