Yellowranger1's Build - 2016 Power Wagon "Blue Wagon"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
coder
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Re: Yellowranger1's Blue Wagon

Post by coder » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:15 am

Nice pics perfect place to take a PW.
Vehicle: 2007 Power Wagon Quad Cab - Factory Options (Inferno Red, Premium Cloth Bench Seat, Light Group, Automatic Transmission, Leather Steering Wheel)
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils, Carli Control Arms, Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops, Carli Stainless Steering Stabilizer, Carli Trackbar | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Yokohama X-A/T 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Mopar HD Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | Odyssey Extreme 65-PC1750T | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Post by yellowranger1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks @coder, I can't wait to get the truck back out again...

With the exception of having my friend build a proper rack for the RTT (same guy that did the sliders) I'm going to enjoy the truck as is for a bit - aka leave it alone long enough to get my Ranger back up and running. I seriously love the PW, but boy do I miss doing 50mph+ and not flinching no matter what is in front of the truck. A friend jokingly suggested I paint the ranger to match the PW and get matching graphics that say "Power Ranger" It would look pretty sweet going down the road having the two trucks matching LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:11 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Thanks @coder, I can't wait to get the truck back out again...

With the exception of having my friend build a proper rack for the RTT (same guy that did the sliders) I'm going to enjoy the truck as is for a bit - aka leave it alone long enough to get my Ranger back up and running. I seriously love the PW, but boy do I miss doing 50mph+ and not flinching no matter what is in front of the truck. A friend jokingly suggested I paint the ranger to match the PW and get matching graphics that say "Power Ranger" It would look pretty sweet going down the road having the two trucks matching LOL!

Hey man, we returned our RTT and are selling our rack. Do you want it?

ImageImage

Needs to be painted. I built it to match the bedsides slope and taper perfectly. You could almost click this thing into the bed and not even bolt it down. Will include stainless hardware.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Yellowranger1's Blue Wagon

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 pm

@damagewagon I'll shoot you a PM, may be interested. I was going to have one built slightly taller so I could stand a spare up underneath it... do you know how tall it is to the bottom of the rack? And how many support tubes for the rtt?

Actually- I'm going to check your build thread, I think you had more pics in there. Image

Reason I'd like it taller is I eventually want a tire carrier similar to what the raptor guys get, like this - Image

Other option I've looked at, Expedition One has a Ram 2500 rear bumper they are supposed to update and add a dual swinger for tire/fuel. Then he height of the rack would be such a sticking point, but that bumper will be $$$.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I don't remember if I had a build thread... I need to start one haha, shocks are going in this weekend Image

I built it 29" from the top of the deck ribs. I did this so the tent would sit exactly flush with the cab. I thought about sizing it at 38-39" above the bed to fit a 37" spare, but this would put the bottom of the tent right at the top of the cab. The thing would be a friggin parachute. The rack and tent are the perfect weight in the bed, they really smooth out the little bumps. I also had DIY4X make me a set of brackets to weld to the tube for mounts but we decided to return the tent before welding hem on. They are yours if you want them.

I like the spares in the bed idea, but honestly couldn't give up 3-4mpg to fit a second spare. I would keep it at cab height, run one spare on an angled mount with the screw pin center, and if you know you are gonna boogie throw a second spare in the bed at the back of the rack. I left the rear bar open to fit bigger stuff in there.
ImageImageImage

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks for the pics, my mistake I thought I remembered a build thread. I definitely have thought about the parachute effect, no bueno on long drives. We somehow always seem to be driving into the wind regardless of what direction we're headed . I'll shoot you a PM in a few

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Anyone know what these plugs are for? There is one tucked up behind the rear tire near the tail light on each side. My truck has park sensors hooked up and trailer wiring hooked up. I just found these while I was taking a mud bath under the truck and was curious what I can hook up to that?

Also - I hate... HATE... mud. The whole truck looked like this underneath. Welcome to my hell.

Left is after initial hose down, right is after final wash and wipe down

Last edited by yellowranger1 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Ooooh cleeean. Bed lighting plugs possibly.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm

DamageWagon wrote:Ooooh cleeean. Bed lighting plugs possibly.

Lol one of my pet peeves is clumps of mud to the face when I'm under a truck!

Forgot to mention I have bed lights and those are hooked up too... I was kind of in a hurry and didn't bother trying to follow the wiring to see where it goes and figured someone may know off the top of their head.

TheDirtRoad
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by TheDirtRoad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Ram box lighting and locks

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:35 am

TheDirtRoad wrote:Ram box lighting and locks
Nice, thanks for the info!

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Wow. Got it cleaned up nice, good job! You must be as OCD as me :mrgreen:

Laugh all you want, but next time stick one (or two) of those oscillating yard sprinklers underneath the truck the night before and let it run all night. Will help loosen up all the dried up mud a bit for when you do start to remove it. :cheers:

How the heck did you go about getting it so dang clean? Process? Products? Turned out amazing!
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Lol! I'm not exaggerating when I say I hate working on a dirty truck! I loved overhearing comments from people about my old prerunner "too bad it never goes off road." The truck had literally thousands of off road miles on it, with photos to prove it .

We got some substantial rain in SoCal so I drove around in the heaviest of the rain on the freeway, then through all the big puddles I could find around home to pre soak everything. Then hit it with the pressure washer and a whole lot of patience. I usually spend a day or so under the truck after a trip with some rags and simple green, then some satin black to touch up the axles, etc.

Before heading out, in anticipation of a mud fest, I soaked the whole underneath with some wd40. I figured anything would help!

TankerZak
500_Posts
500_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by TankerZak » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:22 am

I hear you. I work my trucks hard. But only usually a few times a year during the hunting seasons. I bought my 2016 in September but had back surgery and missed deer and elk season.

So i have become that which I despise... the mall crawler... i need to get my truck offroad! I get the "what do you need that for" a lot, especially from my GFs dad. I needed the best off road vehicle that'd tow an 8500lb trailer that is 36 ft long. To me that screamed PW. I still believe that trailer is too much for a 1500. I know you can get some 10k rated 1500s but not in a crew cab Laramie.

Anyone else find the 1500 bumper stupid with that paint strip between the grill and bumper?

Anyway, I'm babbling. Nothing wrong with taking care of your rig. Shouldn't feel bad about that!
2016 Granite Crystal Metallic Power Wagon Laramie, graphics delete, debadged, Thuren front and rear coils, Thuren rear swaybar links, Thuren front and rear trackbars, Traxada rear 1 inch spacers, King 3.0 (Stage 4) front and 2.5 (Stage 3) rear shocks, Boogie front bump stops, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.50R17 on XD Machette 17x9 +18 wheels, Centramatics, 5.13 gears, DOR steering brace, Thuren truss, Thuren King Steering Damper, Synergy Steering Kit, Thuren PW front bumper, Thuren rear bumper, White Knuckle rock sliders, Dethloff skid plate, Dethloff rear sway bar spacers, Purple Cranium Half Spider front and rear diff guards, Airlift 5000 Ultimate airbags with Daystar cradles, Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau, Factor55 Ultrahook with 100ft 7/16 A.R.E. Spidersilk synthetic winch line, Zroadz Grill with slim 20 inch light bar, DDM Tuning LEDs/HIDs, Rigid Side Shooter ditch lights, KC rock lights, Rigid fog lights, Baja Designs rear lights, Magnaflow 19200 modified with upgraded resonator and after axle dump, tinted front windows 35%.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 am

Picked up some tires for my other truck, and now I'm REALLY liking them for the wagon!

35/12.5/17 Toyo RT

I love the ko2, they're relatively light, and have performed well thus far. My only gripe is I'm finding myself having to get them balanced every so often. I've swapped front to rear and side to side but am getting a persistent vibration around 55-65. I'm getting them balanced one more time tomorrow (when I pick up the 5th RT) at America's Tire. Taking another trip this weekend, if that doesn't do the trick I'll be swapping out to Toyo RT or maybe Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:23 am

I might trade you my almost brand new Toyo MTs for your KO2's if you were interested. Bitchin tire but now that we are planning the trip I kinda want 35/37" tires. lol

Sent from my safe space

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 am

Whatever you end up doing for tires, conventional balancing sucks, once you go to internal balance beads you'll never look back.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 am

YellowRanger, I love your truck, I almost went with the BFG`s on mine because of yours. I wound up going with the Nitto Ridge Grappler in 37`s. I have some pics posted on here in picture thread. All I can say is that the new Nittos have really surprised me how good they are so far. I have only done mild off road, but they performed really well. and they ride like a Cadillac on the highway.

I also like the Toyo R/t. but havnt ever had them on anything, but everything I read about them is the same as how I feel about the Ridge Grapplers.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am

DamageWagon wrote:I might trade you my almost brand new Toyo MTs for your KO2's if you were interested. Bitchin tire but now that we are planning the trip I kinda want 35/37" tires. lol
Sent from my safe space
My dad ran the MT on his Rubicon and loved them (35/17), I wouldn't be opposed to trading someone (mine have about 6200mi) but I wouldn't really want to go smaller than a 35 though.
Colibri wrote:Whatever you end up doing for tires, conventional balancing sucks, once you go to internal balance beads you'll never look back.
My only experience with balance beads has been in my f450 flatbed I drive for work. I wasn't too impressed, but I'm also not confident they put enough in it since those tires and wheels are so heavy (245/70/19.5). I'd be willing to give them another shot, I was reading up on the some more last night on DTX. Any brand you have experienced with or prefer?
rkgzx9leftcoast wrote:YellowRanger, I love your truck, I almost went with the BFG`s on mine because of yours. I wound up going with the Nitto Ridge Grappler in 37`s. I have some pics posted on here in picture thread. All I can say is that the new Nittos have really surprised me how good they are so far. I have only done mild off road, but they performed really well. and they ride like a Cadillac on the highway.

I also like the Toyo R/t. but havnt ever had them on anything, but everything I read about them is the same as how I feel about the Ridge Grapplers.
That's great to hear, I don't personally know anyone with the Ridge Grappler but my dad has the Nitto g2 all terrain on his 3500CTD, he's been happy with them, he's on his 3rd set. A friend of mine has the RT on both of his trucks and loves them so thought I'd give them a shot.

Like I mentioned above, my only issue with the ko2 is having to balance them seems like every 1,500mi +/-. My thinking is I can downsize to an E rated 35 and gain a tiny bit of mpg back, or none at all? They do weigh more than the 37" ko2. Or swap to a Nitto/Toyo man size 37.

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 am

I have the 285/75R17 and love the Toyo MT. I think they come out to 34". I was looking at a friends truck last night with the 37/13.5R17 Toyo MT. The height is very nice but what gets me is that they are so friggin wide. They actually come out to 14.2" wide at the tread. We were in an industrial parking lot and he couldn't turn around in one try. Those tires murdered his steering radius. These Toyos stick like glue though, even when there's almost no tread left. They last forever as well.

Sent from my safe space

rkgzx9leftcoast
50_Posts
50_Posts

Post by rkgzx9leftcoast » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am

Yeah, The Ridge Grapplers are a heavier tire, and it did lose some off the line grunt, between the weight and roll out difference from stock, but once your off the line the 6.4 still screams pretty good. I have about 1000 miles on mine so far, I dont see having to re-balance them anytime soon.
2016 Tradesman White, adding mods now, 37 Ridge Grapplers on Method Standards 17 x 8.5 x 5.75 BS, Thuren Overland front 1.5" Kit. SLT Grill, Mopar Steps. More Thuren stuff soon....

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Innovativebalancing.com is who I've used for years.
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:01 pm

I went to pick up my 5th tire from the shop (Americas Tire), had them balance the fronts one more time. Same shake. I'm going to see what they'd charge to swap the ko2 to these RT. I love the ko2 but tired of balancing. I'll end up running the ko2 on my Ranger as I'd originally intended. A slight shake on that truck is no biggie, it's primarily a dirt truck so it won't be noticeable. It's just irritating on the PW since I drive this one mostly highway, for longer stretches at a time.

Thanks Colibri I'll look into them! I've never had to resort to beads before, several sets of 35s, and a few different 37s from bfg/falken/nitto AT on up to Goodyear mtr and bfg km2 and bfg kr race tires, all on beadlocks.

nts007
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2008

Post by nts007 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I want to believe that whoever is balancing your tires does not know what they are doing. They can do all sorts of changes including spinning the tire on the rim for difference balance points. Somehow your tire is not running true because you can balance anything if you know what your doing. You should never have to resort to beads. I've made shops rebalance tires multiple time because they don't do it right. And in multiple sets of 37" tires in many different brand they could all be balanced just fine. When the shop tells you they cannot balance 37" tires they are full of it. And what's stranger is the new bfg tires are very balance able and smooth. There is a possibility of a bent rim but even then it can still be balanced. ypu would have to have an out of round tire or rim and when they balance the tires they should be able to clearly see runout. Hopefully you get it figured though
08 ctd--mini max--thuren 3" coils and LT Leaves--4.56 gears and lockers in pw axles--some lights--afe intake system--bd super b turbo--Banks w/m Injection--Dynatrac Balljoints--king 2.5"s--37" Hankook Dynapro MT--DOR Long arms--Custom emf track bar--Manual T-case swap--Full PW Under armor--PSC Hydro Assist and so much more

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor

Post by DamageWagon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:31 pm

nts007 has it nailed. I wouldn't swap tires because of imbalance, but I know you had other reasons. You might try a different Americas Tire, it is unlikely but possible that either their machine or their employees are miscalibrated.

Sent from my safe space