Yellowranger1's Build - 2016 Power Wagon "Blue Wagon"

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.
yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts
Model Year: 2014

Yellowranger1's Build - 2016 Power Wagon "Blue Wagon"

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:38 pm

2016 Blue Streak PW

I picked up this truck mid July, and have been loving every minute of it since. I'd wanted a PW for years, and was finally able to make it happen, and I got lucky and found one with every option I wanted even in the right color. My dad had a '96 2500 in almost the same color when I was younger and I got to drive that around for a bit my last year of high school until I bought my first Ranger. My dad sold his truck and picked up an 06 mega cab, but I missed driving the big blue Dodge I grew up in ever since.

Quick explanation of my SN... My old truck was an 06 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 and it was very yellow. This was a "do all" truck, served as my DD, pre-runner/4x4 and never once left me stranded in the desert or mountains. Took me all over from local deserts, and even our big Grand Canyon via dirt trip without a hiccup. Used it as a chase truck to help pit for some friends at desert races in Southern California and Nevada, and in Baja a couple times, even went snow wheeling. The truck was fully caged, long travel front and rear, ford 9", spool, 35s beadlocks etc etc. I loved it but wanted something faster, and the opportunity came up to buy a friends ranger that is a better desert truck, but bit less street friendly. My GF hates the new truck because she can't drive manual and the seat doesn't adjust (hard mounted to the cage) so she can't reach the pedals lol!

The new to me ranger

The fact that the GF hates the new ranger, combined with its questionable street legality kicked me into gear to start saving for a new, reliable, and capable DD that I could drive around town and take camping or 4wheeling, or even tow the ranger to the desert, AND do duty as a real pickup truck... A seriously tall order, luckily, the PW fits the bill perfectly for me.

This truck will be somewhat of an expo/chase truck build, getting some mods along the way like lights, sliders, onboard air, race radio, gps, tools and recovery gear. As funds allow, it will eventually get a rack to mount an RTT and hold a couple of 37" tires and some gear.

As the truck sits now... sold the stock duratracs and mounted some 37" bfg ko2 on the stock wheels.

Yelowranger1 is my sn on instagram if any of you are on there as well.

I also added two 6' lengths of L track bolted to the bed so I can strap down camping gear more easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yellowranger1 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

14PowerWaggy
50_Posts
50_Posts

Re: Yellowranger1's Blue Wagon

Post by 14PowerWaggy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Nice Trucks!
2015 Granite Power Wagon... 37" Toyo MT's... Trail Ready wheels... Thuren Suspension... AEV ProCal

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Yellowranger1's Blue Wagon

Post by yellowranger1 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank you! The desert trucks are a blast, but I'm excited to have a more capable truck that I can take the GF and our pups camping and not need to drive crammed with gear and a dog on top my head...

The L track is not bolted down in that last pic. It's since been bolted through the bed, and the bed will be getting a coat of line-x soon. I'm planning on loading all of my camping gear/fuel cans etc and seeing if I need any more L track in the bed since I have a couple of extra lengths.

As far as lights go, I have a Baja Designs S2 dust light that I'll be mounting on an SDHQ light bracket, and I also received a pair of SDHQ a pillar light mounts. Plan for those is to mount a pair of BD squadron xl80 driving lights.

And probably the second most important mod to this thing next to sliders... you can never be too prepared out in the boonies!

NovA ProspekT
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2007

Post by NovA ProspekT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:31 am

Great looking truck, I love that blue color!

With the right mods these trucks can handle the high-speed stuff very well.

Good luck! :cheers:
2007 DODGE POWER WAGON: 5.7L Hemi V8/Auto, Quad Cab, Flame Red
- Spintech Super Pro Street 9000 Muffler, Electronic Exhaust Cutout, Transgo Shift-Kit
- COOPER S/T MAXX(37x12.5R17), Carli High Clearance Control Arms, Carli HD Ball-joints
- Aluminess Front Bumper, Back Rack w/ Side-rails, Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau Cover
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Grote 30" LED Off-road Light Bar, Bosch Compact 100 Fog Lights
2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE OVERLAND: 4.7L High Output PowerTech V8, Quadra-Drive, Inferno Red
- OME HD 1.5" Lift Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, JKS HD Trackbar, Core4x4 Tier4 Control Arms
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV(245/70R17) Winter Tires, 3" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Cats/Y-Pipe & Muffler
- JW Speaker TS4000 Driving Lights, Hella 350 LED Wide Beam Light Bar
1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 5.9 LIMITED: 5.9L Magnum R/T V8, Quadra-Trac, Deep Slate Black
- H&R Sport Progressive Springs w/spacers(Stock height), Bilstein 4600 Shocks, OEM Euro Headlamps
- Doug Thorley Tri-Y Long-tube headers, MOPAR M1 Intake, BBK Power Plus twin 52mm Throttle Body
[My Flickr] - [Power Wagon Build Thread]
“The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:27 am

NovA ProspekT wrote:Great looking truck, I love that blue color!

With the right mods these trucks can handle the high-speed stuff very well.

Good luck! :cheers:
Thank you, I love the blue!

A friend has a carli equipped f250, and He drives that thing much faster than should be possible, so I have no doubt these can do the same. I'd feel terrible beating on this truck like that though, that's what the ranger is for Image it's much more nimble and can really soak op some big hits with 18" of travel front and 24" in the rear. Plus, going those speeds, it's nice to have the peace of mind of the roll cage.

I have to say, on the mammoth trip, I was extremely surprised at how well this big truck handled washboard, small whoops, and fire roads. It felt plush but controlled and never harsh when it bottomed.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:49 am

Last week my friend knocked out a set of sliders for the truck. I really liked the white knuckles but am not crazy about the way they bolt onto the frame. I wanted something similar, but chose to go with weld on instead. I was kind of torn between paint or line x, ended up going with paint for now.

I think the next big change in store for the truck may be removing the graphics or finally getting around to installing the a pillar light brackets. Just need a free weekend so I can take my time with it.

Colibri
1000_Posts
1000_Posts
Model Year: 2009

Post by Colibri » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:39 am

That looks great!
Central Texas and Houston area
2009 5.7 auto quadcab
Carli 3” coils deaver leafs 3” kings with 4 tube bypass rear and fr/rr hydro bumps
Howe steering pump and gear with hydraulic ram assist
Custom tube bumpers and white knuckle sliders
Creative fab trussed axle. rem polished and cryoed 5.13 gears with arb lockers fr/rr
Sharadon stage 2 545rfe with 3000 stall edge converter
Lots of other stuff lol

BlkWgn
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by BlkWgn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:57 pm

I like the A pillar light brackets. I have been looking for something for the Dodge, but had not seen any yet, they seem to be everywhere for the Toyota or Jeep.
My new photography site - BlkWgn Photography http://blkwgn.smugmug.com

2006 Dodge Power Wagon production number 44 - Mercenary Offroad Prototype Bumper - Toyo 35 MT - Caril Springs - Carli Track Bar - Thuren Overland Shocks - Carli Front Diff Guard - RockCrusher Rear Diff Guard - Airflow Snorkel - Locker Bypass - Leer shell w/Roof Rack and 125w Solar Panel - and an empty wallet
1979 Yamaha DT175 Enduro (For Sale)

Kilo Juliet Six Delta Zulu Zulu

EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) Certified via San Bernardino County Fire
San Antonio Heights C.E.R.T Founding Member
San Bernardino National Forest OHV Volunteer[/color]

Build Thread http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/sh ... agon-Build

American Adventurist - http://www.americanadventurist.com

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Colibri wrote:That looks great!
Thanks!
BlkWgn wrote:I like the A pillar light brackets. I have been looking for something for the Dodge, but had not seen any yet, they seem to be everywhere for the Toyota or Jeep.
There's lots out there for jeeps and raptors, and until recently the sdhq mounts were for vertical placement of the lights, which I thought just looked odd. I'm glad they redesigned them for standard horizontal placement. I would have liked to mount a lightbar in the bumper but we have that pesky winch in the way, so these a pillar mounts seemed like a great option.

olyelr
2000_Posts
2000_Posts
Model Year: 2016

Post by olyelr » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:51 am

Those sliders look very nicely made. Kudos to your friend.

But, you could have just used the white knuckle ones and welded those to the frame too.
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes - 35” AT3W - TazerRAM

:patriot:

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:31 am

Can you post pictures from inside the cab with the A pillar lights on? I had A pillar lights on a jeep and they had a lot of glare but they were incandescent fog lights.

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:29 am

olyelr wrote:Those sliders look very nicely made. Kudos to your friend.

But, you could have just used the white knuckle ones and welded those to the frame too.
Actually had considered doing that, these were a little less cost prohibitive though Image
Reloaderguy wrote:Can you post pictures from inside the cab with the A pillar lights on? I had A pillar lights on a jeep and they had a lot of glare but they were incandescent fog lights.
I haven't actually gotten around to mounting them yet. Had a couple of weddings to attend this month, but hopefully I'll have them on by Halloween. Soon as I do I'll post up a few pics Image I am expecting some glare,hopefully nothing too bad though. My dad has a set of rigid duallys on the a pillars of his rubicon and it's not too bad at all.

Last edited by yellowranger1 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juday
500_Posts
500_Posts

Post by Juday » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 am

Looks good so far! I'll be curious to see what it looks like with the A pillar lights on there. :cheers:
2012 RAM Power Wagon
315/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar | Carli Front Differential Cover | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights | 1" Daystar Lift | Thuren High Clearance Control Arms | Thuren Track Bar

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm loving this thing, even put the winch to use a couple of weekends ago yanking out an old tree at the house then hauling loads of stuff around at a wedding last weekend.

Bill2014
1000_Posts
1000_Posts

Post by Bill2014 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:34 pm

You could have had a yellow Power Wagon ImageImage

2014 Power Wagon Laramie
Titan V5 2.5" Receiver Pintle Hook
Warn wireless winch controller
.188" DOM White Knuckle Rock Sliders
Locker Bypass & Nanny Kill Switch

Moab 2006

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I love it! Haha they actually had a yellow AEV Prospector on the lot when I picked up my truck... man it was a tease, just not in the budget. One thing I do miss about the yellow is how well it hid desert pinstripes and rock chips

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Spent some time camping this past weekend, exploring around Alabama Hills and then a friend met up with us Sunday morning on his way home from picking up his new 2500 ctd.

The opener works great! Image

RedMan
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by RedMan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:50 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:Spent some time camping this past weekend, exploring around Alabama Hills and then a friend met up with us Sunday morning on his way home from picking up his new 2500 ctd.

The opener works great! Image

I have to say... The bottle opener is one of the best upgrades I have seen yet :rockon:
Power Wagon Registry #47
- SCT Tuner by http://www.hemifevertuning.com/
- Thuren suspension upgrade (springs, shocks, and shackles)
- Thuren steering upgrade
- DT PROFAB Swaybar links (w/ +2" lift)
- Wattsenegger Front & Rear bumpers (1/4" walls)
- 35 12.50R 17 NITTO Mud Grapplers (second set)__- Snorkel
- Rock Rails_______________________- CB Radio
- RockCrusher Front Diff Cover_______- Tool box and all necessary tools
- diff locker manual switch's_______________ - Flow Master Series 50 Dual Exhaust
- Illuminated Ram Hood Emblem______- Rocker Panels Hurculined
- H2 Wheels w/moded hubcaps_______- Power Wagon Winch Strap
- Solar Battery Maintainer___________- Hide-Away Gun rack

"The" Wifes Car
"Faith" 2014 Charger RT Max

My Toy
"VISCO" 2013 196CC Tidewater

Black Pearl
50_Posts
50_Posts
Model Year: 2013

Post by Black Pearl » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:18 am

Sharp looking rig and beautiful scenery!
Love the Blue
37 are perfect

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:44 am

Have you installed the A-Pillar lights? Inquiring minds want to know!

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:20 am

Reloaderguy wrote:Have you installed the A-Pillar lights? Inquiring minds want to know!
Sorry to disappoint, but I haven't yet... been working and camping lately. Been using the truck a lot actually.

Went all over Big Sur, old coast road, and then down to pismo beach for a night and played around on the beach and dunes a little before coming back to reality.

Packing for a trip is so easy in this beast compared to my ranger. So much room for activities! Lol

Didn't get any pics (it was well after dark already) but as I was heading down the beach a guy in a class C motor home flagged me down. He buried it down to the axle and asked for a pull. Got to break out the strap and use 4 low and the lockers to drag him onto the harder sand.

Reloaderguy
2000_Posts
2000_Posts

Post by Reloaderguy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Your truck looks great!

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:01 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:
Reloaderguy wrote:Have you installed the A-Pillar lights? Inquiring minds want to know!
Sorry to disappoint, but I haven't yet... been working and camping lately. Been using the truck a lot actually.

Went all over Big Sur, old coast road, and then down to pismo beach for a night and played around on the beach and dunes a little before coming back to reality.

Packing for a trip is so easy in this beast compared to my ranger. So much room for activities! Lol

Didn't get any pics (it was well after dark already) but as I was heading down the beach a guy in a class C motor home flagged me down. He buried it down to the axle and asked for a pull. Got to break out the strap and use 4 low and the lockers to drag him onto the harder sand.

I think once you're ready for recoveries, they start happening. My first weekend out with the truck I pulled out a motor home stuck in Johnson Valley stuck in some sweet silt and a rzr stuck cresting a quad circle. It was nice to be in a spot to say "yeah, we can give you a hand!" For once, instead of saying "let me go find somebody" :lol:

DamageWagon
Vendor
Vendor
Model Year: 2011

Post by DamageWagon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:06 pm

yellowranger1 wrote:

I think once you're ready for recoveries, they start happening. My first weekend out with the truck I pulled out a motor home stuck in Johnson Valley stuck in some sweet silt and a rzr stuck cresting a quad circle. It was nice to be in a spot to say "yeah, we can give you a hand!" For once, instead of saying "let me go find somebody" :lol:

yellowranger1
250_Posts
250_Posts

Post by yellowranger1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks @reloaderguy! I'm a big fan of your truck.

@damagewagon it's definitely nice to have a truck capable of helping in those situations. I really wanted to just set up camp but they were sounding pretty desperate. There were a couple of other trucks parked within walking distance but the owners either couldn't be bothered to help out or wanted to charge them I guess.

One step closer to getting the a pillar lights on! I was going to run some regular squadron sports I have for the ranger (same size as a rigid dually cube) but they looked way too small on the truck and the output from the larger squadron xl-80 seemed like a better choice.

Side by side with a Baja Designs 6" prerunner HID for comparison.