Board index General Member Builds

Start your thread and show everyone your build out.

Re: BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

Postby Vee » Tue May 03, 2016 7:30 pm

I had aftermarket tow mirrors on my 1500 and had good luck with them. No real issue with vibration. Mine were not powerfolding, but had heat, puddle light and turn signal. Olyelr, I would hold out for tow mirrors. I hated my non tow mirrors. Full convex mirror on the passenger side is a pain to back a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Not all those who wander are lost
Vee
50_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Tue May 03, 2016 8:09 pm

You can see around the trailer enough. But I prefer the large convex on the bottom that the tow mirror provides. There is no convex on my current mirrors.
Using my Wagon the way it was intended.
[Build Thread] [Instagram]
MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby olyelr » Tue May 03, 2016 8:55 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:
I heard stories of bad vibrations in aftermarket mirrors. Maybe that was the problem.

I put an aftermarket tow mirror on my 06 because it was waaaaay cheaper than a factory one and that damn thing vibrated so much it was absolutely worthless. After that I told myself I would never buy an aftermarket one again.

Vee wrote:I had aftermarket tow mirrors on my 1500 and had good luck with them. No real issue with vibration. Mine were not powerfolding, but had heat, puddle light and turn signal. Olyelr, I would hold out for tow mirrors. I hated my non tow mirrors. Full convex mirror on the passenger side is a pain to back a trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I located the truck (for my salesman :roll: ) in another state and they are doing a dealer trade. They said they would trade em out for me if I want.

MikeKey wrote:You can see around the trailer enough. But I prefer the large convex on the bottom that the tow mirror provides. There is no convex on my current mirrors.

That was one of his beef's with the tow mirrors, was that convex mirror. Does it get in the way at all when you are using them without them being up in the tow mode, or is there enough of the flat mirror for normal driving?
2016 Ram Power Wagon Laramie - Granite Crystal Metallic - Ramboxes
- A virgin, other than White Knuckle sliders... and lots of Fluid Film -
olyelr
2000_Posts

Postby FirerescuePW » Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 am

I don"t have any issues with the amount of flat mirror on my 3G. I think the surface area is pretty close to a 4G. I would get the tow mirrors. Have you test drove a regular 2500 with and without? That should tell you if you can work with them.
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!
FirerescuePW
1000_Posts

Postby olyelr » Wed May 04, 2016 1:05 pm

FirerescuePW wrote:I don"t have any issues with the amount of flat mirror on my 3G. I think the surface area is pretty close to a 4G. I would get the tow mirrors. Have you test drove a regular 2500 with and without? That should tell you if you can work with them.

No, I havnt driven one since my '06 hahaha. The last two brand new vehicles I have bought I never even test drove one or been in one before hahaha. They will swap the mirrors for me if I dont like em.

Alrighty, I'm done mucking up MikeKeys build thread. Sorry about veering off with my nonsense. Get back to the mods!
olyelr
2000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm

phpBB [video]

Clickable link for Tapatalk

:cheers:
MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby Colibri » Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Nice man! You've got a seriously well trained wife/spotter!
Colibri
1000_Posts

Postby RamGentry » Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Looks fun! :P
If I start listing Mods I would have to change the list daily
My build thread http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3593
RamGentry
250_Posts

Postby 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 am

Colibri wrote:Nice man! You've got a seriously well trained wife/spotter!

I was thinking the same thing. That looks like fun!
2012 Ram Power Wagon: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires
04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm

ARMOR - DIFFERENTIAL PROTECTION

I used Purple Cranium's half spider's on my Trailblazer build and they were good enough for most of the stuff I threw at them. After evaluating our needs with a lot of wheeling in Moab with no protection, I decided that the half spiders would be sufficient enough. I generally attempt to go over or around obstacles I could get my differential caught up on. But the occasional strike does happen.

FRONT

REAR
MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby olyelr » Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Moving right along!
olyelr
2000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Thu May 12, 2016 3:29 pm

TIRE UPGRADE

After lots of testing in Moab, new shoes for the Power Wagon. I had considered 37's and given that we tow often I decided that 35's would be a better fit for capability and retaining power and mpg while towing (somewhat). So today I had Toyo Open Country AT/II's in 35x12.50 R 17 installed on the truck.

Perfect fit with no rubbing! And these tires are quiter than the Goodyear Durtracs, also a plus.

:cheers:

Misc Additions

I also picked up this Hook strap from Pit_Slave today. I dig it.

MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby 04Ram2500Hemi » Thu May 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Good call on the A/T II's. I've been really happy with them on my truck.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, AEV Salta HD Wheels in Onyx, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires
04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Thu May 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Also for anyone wondering, I managed to fit the 35's back in the spare tire location, I had to deflate to 25psi and then guide it into position. It's very tight. Hopefully, it won't be a problem. But it did fit.

Really close to the panhard bar:

MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby olyelr » Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Somebody wasnt watching their wife's spotting instructions... I see the front bumper took a hit and got shoved up into the flare a bit :D

Looking good! Did you have a hard time choosing the 35's over the 285/75/17? Seems like those would have been a little better for your intended use (a bit skinnier, yet basically the same height). None the less the 35's look great and will work great as well!
olyelr
2000_Posts

Postby Reloaderguy » Thu May 12, 2016 9:47 pm

That bumper looks ruined, you better get that Mercenary Offroad bumper ordered ASAP!

It's amazing how loud those Duratracs are isn't it? I think I might need a diff cover now. :D
Best Year Power Wagon
Reloaderguy
1000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 pm

:roll: Believe it or not my bumper has been like that since we got it, with odd gaps on it. Like it wasn't installed properly. A matter of fact you can see how it looks pushed in on this video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFF5r9uPvhK/

Good ol' American build qaulity right there. :popcorn:

But the dent on the lower bottom we can't figure out. The last photo of the day from Hell's Revenge shows no dents. We kept checking out the truck during all our runs. So come Monday evening, I noticed that dent in the lower corner there. And I call the wife, like WTF is this. We don't know where it came from. It's a good dent and we should of felt it.

So our only two guesses being, the wife bumped a rock and we didn't notice, which would have to have been at the end of the trail, which seems unlikely. Or someone backed into us with their hitch. We just don't know. It's kind of freaking annoying. Seems like an odd place to hit us with a hitch. So I am leaning more towards rock, but I just don't know. :angry:

I would mind if I knew we smacked it, but not knowing when/how is super annoying. :rant:

Oh well. No ugly ass bumpers in my future, btw.
MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby Will » Fri May 13, 2016 4:40 am

You can get a new bumper shell for $400 or less if you want to keep the factory look. Also, they're not that hard to tweak. The bolt holes that hold the "shell" on have plenty of movement in them for up/down and side to side.

On your rear tire. It looks fine, did you check to make sure it would clear the rear diff cover and full compression, that would be the only thing I can think of the make sure of. Looking good with those tires.
2010 with 37" hooves, controlled by numerous Thuren parts and Thuren Custom King 2.5's
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2333

I only do what the majority of the 4 voices in my head tell me to. In most cases, I ignore two of them because one doesn't speak English, and I suspect the other is talking to someone else.
Will
2000_Posts

Postby Colibri » Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 am

She's looking good on the new rubber! :rockon:
Colibri
1000_Posts

Postby 2011TXPowerWagon » Fri May 13, 2016 8:52 am

How did you get that hook strap?? I want one
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."

-George Bernard Shaw
2011TXPowerWagon
250_Posts

Postby FirerescuePW » Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 am

2011TXPowerWagon wrote:How did you get that hook strap?? I want one

Many of us have been trying for years....
'05 Mineral Gray Power Wagon QC #1005

WINCH MOB PROUD!

SuperChips FlashPaq; DT ProFab Steering Brace; 08.5 Steering linkage (twice); Toyo Open Country M/T 35/12.50x17; Carli front diff guard; Rockcrusher rear diff cover; White Knuckle Offroad Rock Rails; Carli 3"coils, track bar, and High Clearance Control Arms; Carli King 2.5" Remote Resi Shocks; Reflex spray-in liner; Extang Trifecta tonneau cover; Pop Lock electric tailgate lock (OOS); Tekonsha Prodigy brake control; LEDS & Strobes & Siren; Winch TPS Bypass; Warn Wireless Remote; Dog hair, and a BIG Wish List!
FirerescuePW
1000_Posts

Postby Reloaderguy » Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 am

Will wrote:You can get a new bumper shell for $400 or less if you want to keep the factory look. Also, they're not that hard to tweak. The bolt holes that hold the "shell" on have plenty of movement in them for up/down and side to side.

On your rear tire. It looks fine, did you check to make sure it would clear the rear diff cover and full compression, that would be the only thing I can think of the make sure of. Looking good with those tires.

The spare might not clear the diff guards.

My bumper is crooked too. I figure I'll eventually have it off so why bother straightening it.
Best Year Power Wagon
Reloaderguy
1000_Posts

Postby MikeKey » Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 am

Reloaderguy wrote:The spare might not clear the diff guards.

My bumper is crooked too. I figure I'll eventually have it off so why bother straightening it.

I figure a good way to test will be to hitch up without WD, and then fill my 30 gallon water blatter in the bed and stand in it.

But, it would seem to me I'd hit the sway bar long before the diff guard.

I'll let you all know. Right now, fingers crossed. I'd like to keep my bed space. I'll be in Moab another two weeks as we have more friends joining us, so that's more time to hit the trails and get some real world flex testing. :wink:
MikeKey
1000_Posts

Postby olyelr » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Well wheres the WK slider pics?!
olyelr
2000_Posts

Postby 04Ram2500Hemi » Mon May 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Honestly I'm leaning towards a receiver hitch of some sort. The right vehicle and angle make more sense to me, and I think you would have heard/felt that had you done it on the trail.
04Ram2500Hemi
2000_Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Member Builds